Houzz Logo Print
webuser_586321

Underfloor insulation

Emma O'Connor
8 years ago
I have a fibro cottage in the foot hills of the Victorian alps. Looking for some advice regarding underfloor insulation. In the coming years I plan on replacing the current fibro shell of the house and put in wall insulation, in the mean time I would like to start with some underfloor insulation this winter. Standing in my large kitchen in winter it is very common to feel the cold air coming up through the floor boards and chilling your toes. Outside Temp can range from early 40's in summer to -6 in winter. I would love some advise from anybody that may have suffered a similar dilemma.
A few things to consider...
*** My house in on a slight hill so the clearance is varied with the majority of the under house area having a low clearance.
*** the house has been built in 3 stages over 80 years so there are 3 different joist widths under the house,
*** I would prefer not to use an insulated roll style product as I've heard negative things about rodents being trapped between floor boards and the insulated fabric and getting smelly.
*** my floor boards are very noisy to walk on so i would like a product that might offer some sound insulation too (don't know if this last point is a valid request) ....

Any personal experience or trade advice is gladly welcomed.

Comments (22)