Houzz Logo Print
olgaoh

Advice on a floorplan for a new build - Country Victoria

Olga
6 years ago

Hi All, we are in the process of finalizing our plans for your new build in the Ballarat area. We have designed the house ourselves and the process has taken a long time while trying to consider our living style, the block of land (2 acres), orientation etc. We are also planning on using good insulation and quality double glazed windows. Unfortunately we won't be able to build on a slab for thermal reasons because of the slope of the land. It will be brick veneer on brick stumps.

We have 2 young kids and we are trying to keep the design reasonable compact and simple to hopefully make the build more affordable, but we do like the thought of two living spaces.

The problem is that we would like a double sided fireplace in between the two living areas but then there is a very limited space for a TV in either rooms. We would be happy to have a TV in just one room (and another for the kids in the nook for games/cartoons). The only place for a TV is on the wall next to the large sliding doors as I'm not keen on having it above the fireplace which will be the main heating for the living areas. Didn't think a TV placement could cause such a headache. I've got the couches facing each other on the plan however I do prefer an L shaped arrangement for comfort reasons.

We are fairly happy with everything else on the plan. We know the laundry doesn't have a direct exit to the outside but it is something I'm happy to live with. It will have a drying cupboard in there.

We are also aware that most people like to have an entry from the garage to the kitchen/living area however this is not really possible as the garage needs to be on the west side because of the slope of the land (it's the only thing on a slab) and we would like to keep the kitchen on the other side because of the nice views and also because it faces east.

I thought I'd put the plan up here in case anyone has any advice for the design and also the TV situation. Happy to take any suggestions on-board. I have looked at pop-up TV designs in front of the window but think it will be too expensive.

Comments (19)