Houzz Logo Print
janelew

paint the brick or not

janelew
10 years ago
Paint the brick or leave natural? This is not a forever home, will need to think of resale in about 5 yrs. What do you all think?

Comments (60)

• mermaide
    10 years ago
    Strip or paint the mantel, bot leave the brick as is
    janelew thanked mermaide
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Better to leave the brick and paint the mantel surround a satin black .
    janelew thanked lefty47
  • lisaguillory
    10 years ago
    Definitely paint the brick:)
    janelew thanked lisaguillory
  • minimomac
    10 years ago
    Personally, I think the contrast of the bright white mantel is what is offsetting. I'd either strip the mantel down and stain the wood (1st choice) or I'd get painting the mantel in soft warm hues.
    janelew thanked minimomac
  • janelew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the wood is yellow poplar and stained from old fires so painting was the only option after we stripped and sanded it.
  • alleykat6093
    10 years ago
    I vote for not painting it. I think your brick is nice and if you are not planning on staying in your home forever I would leave it alone. You don't want to discourage future buyers. I think the mantle needs to be changed to something simpler.
    janelew thanked alleykat6093
  • mcbmd3
    10 years ago
    Just to add to the confusion, I'd let the next owner paint/ whitewash the brick. But I do agree that the mantle is a bit grand for the rustic brick.
    janelew thanked mcbmd3
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    Absolutely paint the brick!
    janelew thanked Hyde Evans Design
  • notme11
    10 years ago
    Boy, everyone has a different opinion. I say don't paint the brick.
    janelew thanked notme11
  • notme11
    10 years ago
    I would however remove the mantle and find one more in style with the fireplace.
    janelew thanked notme11
  • PRO
    MLB Design Group
    10 years ago
    I agree that the brick and mantle do not work well together stylewise. Painting either will not "fix" that situation. However, if you changed the mantle design, then painted the brick, you might like the result. Here are two different 60's-era fireplaces showing different design solutions.
    janelew thanked MLB Design Group
  • PRO
    ENI Design Interior Architecture
    10 years ago
    The mantle and brick wall say "identity crisis" Fix the one or the other. And if you have not sold your house as yet. Attend to it. You will not believe how much you can potentially add to the value of your house if you sort this out pre sale. A lot of people do not want to buy something they can see they will have to sort from the start. Either put a more rustic mantle or render and paint the brick area. I can not see your total house style from the picture but you should follow what will work best with the rest of the style of the house.
    janelew thanked ENI Design Interior Architecture
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    Sorry, but this mantle looks very applied and out of character in this house. I don't think paint will do much to disguise this. I tend to like painted brick in this style of house but think you need a simpler mantle for contrast - either natural wood or a stone slab.
    janelew thanked Shuler Architecture
  • janelew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The house was built in 1993.
  • janelew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    please post some more picture ideas for us!
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    Agree that mantel style doesn't fit FP. Too tall. You only need a simple mantel.
    janelew thanked grobby
  • ccort
    10 years ago
    Hi! Just painted my mantle SW black fox and I really like it. Still in progress as I took the top and trim off to replace with something with cleaner lines so it might look a little strange but I like the color. I initially painted it white like yours but it didn't work on mine. Made the brick look older. Since your walls are tan, maybe a dark brown. I think well bred brown by SW could work if I am remembering the color right. A reclaimed wood would be pretty too. Something simple.
    janelew thanked ccort
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    It really looks just tacked on and not like it belongs.
    janelew thanked handymam
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't paint the brick and agree the mantel is the problem. Can you just remove it?
    janelew thanked Ann
  • janelew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, we put it up last year. attached it so can be easily removed by new homeowner. it is the only mantel we could find where we live that was wide enough for the fireplace.
  • PRO
    janelew thanked Holiday Decorating Services by Emerald Isle Isle
  • PRO
    Now Interior Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Mantel is not working as is. If you like the more traditional style of the mantel, I would Sheetrock the brick and add stone to the hearth, then you may be able to salvage some or all of the mantel. For a quick fix, paint and add a simple ledge for your mantel
    janelew thanked Now Interior Design Studio
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Maybe no matel will look just fine.
    janelew thanked Ann
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    The surround looks tacked on. No, I would not paint the brick either. What about creating another wider surround with mdf and moldings, adding a sizable mantle and using a painted beadboard effect above. That would conserve the brick, but not much would show and it would erase the brick on top. And provide a nice place for a large work of art. Does this make sense? Hard to describe.

Here is my Houzz fireplace idea book for you to peruse.
    [houzz= http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/14125445/thumbs/Fireplace w=300]
    janelew thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • PRO
    LDD Consulting art and decor
    10 years ago
    Paint your brick- the wall color. Leave the brick around the fireplace surround, or wash it with the mantel color mixed with water to make it less contrasting.
    janelew thanked LDD Consulting art and decor
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    Do not paint the brick ,it is the s around that Ned's attention ,take it off and use a nice thick rustic wood
    janelew thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • natalierus15
    10 years ago
    Keep it....it's beautiful!
    janelew thanked natalierus15
  • Mandie Click
    10 years ago
    I would not paint the brick but instead pick warm and rustic colors to re-paint the mantle, or even replace it. The mantle's color and size is really dwarfing the actual features and those are the: FP and the Brick! If you absolutely have to do the deed and paint the brick stick with an earthy tone (depending on the rest of the space) to retain some of it's character. Though the mantle is strong for the facade. Oh maybe even add tile details to the inner area in a darker color to make the mantle even seem to fit the space. So many things could be done here :) Good luck!
    janelew thanked Mandie Click
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Project in Tiburon · More Info
    ]
    janelew thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • PRO
    lauger concrete + design
    10 years ago
    I would lose the mantel + paint the wall in a color that compliments the brick.
    I wouldn't paint the brick but if you hate it,.... A smooth or light texture stucco will make a modern look -quick
    janelew thanked lauger concrete + design
  • phyllis92104
    10 years ago
    Nooo! Do not paint the brick. It's the mantel that needs changing.
    janelew thanked phyllis92104
  • twinkleberry
    10 years ago
    You didn't say what it is that YOU don't like about it, but don't paint the brick if you can find another solution. To me painted brick always looks like a half-hearted fix. My first choice would be to replace the mantel with an oversized rustic beam, set somewhat lower than the current mantle. To layer in interest, you could also top the existing hearth with a dark slate or stone slab matching the darkest bricks. Both the mantle and the hearth could extend beyond the brick, if you like that look.

If you're determined to keep the current mantle, add wood trim to the outside edges so that the surround covers the brick all the way to the wall, including wrapping the corners. Top the current mantle with a wider, thicker mantle that extends a few inches beyond the FP sides, maybe with a beveled profile. Then clad the brick inside the surround in a simple dark stone. I think it could still be an uphill battle, though, because the colonial-style surround is warring with the simpler nature of the brick and your crown molding.

I think you are smart to address this now. If the mantle's coming off it should come off sooner rather than later, because in time the underlying bricks will age and color differently than the bricks exposed to sunlight, dust, heat and smoke, etc.

I'm working on my own FP problem -- trying to FIX a painted brick FP -- and hope you'll let us know what you decide to do!
  • carole
    10 years ago
    wanted to find you some examples but not many pictures to find!!but as has been said already it is the mantle that needs to... either go or change the "legs'' just dont work with the brickwork...and i would leave the brick as is,looks good!!
  • PRO
    Angela Rose
    10 years ago
    Not really a fan of painting it think it thru perhaps paint the mantle
    janelew thanked Angela Rose
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    No way...Embrace the brick!!!!! Love the natural color and it has different tones of colors in it that really gives it a cool look. I'd paint the mantel and the walls with something warm, rich and darker (like the photo above.... and maybe a lighter shade of the mantel color on the wall. This should make a huge difference in the look of the space....less work too!
    janelew thanked Timeless Interiors
  • Nancy
    10 years ago
    The brick looks nice with the wall color and wood floor. I would try antiquing the mantle in a wood tone. I think you could use a sanding sealer over the white for it to accept enough of the stain. Or strip the mantle paint and use a medium to dark wood stain. I think it would really enhance the brick and look more like it was designed to be there, rather than looking like it was an add-on. The shiny white mantle is way too stark with the surroundings and does not enhance the brick. You don't need to match the white baseboards or other moldings in the room, but you do need to bring out the very pretty brick surround. Hope this helps!
    janelew thanked Nancy
  • PRO
    LDD Consulting art and decor
    10 years ago
    When budget allowws, you can replace the mantel. It needs to be addressed, but I think you will be happier with the brick painted out so there isn't so much going on.
    Good luck!
    janelew thanked LDD Consulting art and decor
  • PRO
    Linton Hill Home Services Group Inc.
    10 years ago
    I was thinking along the lines of ccort. Take off the "legs" of the mantle so that only the top portion exists and then paint it black.
    janelew thanked Linton Hill Home Services Group Inc.
  • ccort
    10 years ago
    Mine is finished. I like the simplified final version and the darker paint color. I am glad I didn't paint the brick now. Can't wait to see what you decide to do. Attached pic in case it helps you decide either way.
    janelew thanked ccort
  • PRO
    hamilton+mcCabe design associates
    10 years ago
    Hi - probably way too late seeing your post - just for food for thought - might be nicer to leave the brick and paint the fireplace. Also (sorry) take away the flowers and replace with something simple. Best regards Barb Hamilton (Hamilton McCabe)
    janelew thanked hamilton+mcCabe design associates
  • Susan Baker
    10 years ago
    remove all items clock, basket and so on. first
    see what you think
    select grout color of brick to blend mantel with brick no shiny paint
    this is a first step cheap option
    other options suggested are great too such as replacing your mantel beefing it up to coordinate with brick look but this is a more expensive option
    janelew thanked Susan Baker
  • janelew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Hamilton+McCabe still trying to decide. I like the way you made the mantel picture for me, that helps to actually see it. Also Susan Baker, thank you for your idea. The flowers/pine on the mantel were from Christmas and were just there for Christmas and Jan.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    No!!!! Leave the brick, lose the clock.
    janelew thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • janelew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mike it is the color of the brick I don't like. I love the clock. Why don't you think it should be there?
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    The wood surround is too narrow for the fireplace. There should be no brick sticking outside of the vertical legs. That's not how wood fireplace surrounds are designed...the wood should extend farther than the brick. You said you've made it easy for the next owners to remove, but i think you need to remove it before you show/sell the house. Or at least remove the legs and keep the mantle top.
    janelew thanked rocketjcat
  • blrussell
    10 years ago
    Janelew...you now stated YOU do not like the brick. Go ahead and paint it. You will probably be happier with a new mantel also.
    janelew thanked blrussell
  • Stacey
    10 years ago
    The brick looks nice and coZy. How about applying a glaze to the mantle to tone it down?
    janelew thanked Stacey
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    I like the black pic that Hamilton posted. In addition, I suggest painting the brick between the fireplace opening and the "legs" of the mantel black. The legs look too skinny and it would make them look wider.
    janelew thanked Keitha
  • Jean Hall
    10 years ago
    Paint the brick white and the mantel another color.