Houzz Logo Print
alison_smith9454483

Bedroom makeover help needed

Alison Wynter
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
This bedroom needs a complete overhaul. (for sale pics) Getting rid of the curtains and putting in our king sized wooden poster bed. For this room I'd love a custom built window seat. How can I incorporate it with the long windows in this bedroom? Also want to put a TV either within a custom built bookcase cabinet (in the corner) or put the TV on the wall. Ideas, comments? Help? We will also be painting the walls and yes the curtains are definitely being replaced. Suggestions for paint colour? Feature wall? Thanks all

Comments (98)

• Jacqueline Doty
    9 years ago
    That bedroom is such a grand and large space, you are fortunate to have so many options to redesign it. I would propose a luxury-suite-hotel-style bedroom look: perhaps a Presidential suite feel? You could even put a beautiful fireplace on the wall across from the bed. Or, some kind of revolving electronics/media stand in the middle of the room.
  • grandmawendy
    9 years ago
    If the room is truly as large as it looks then I would make maybe two or three different areas in it. I would move the bookcase to the wall showing beside the bed. Arrange the shelves better with more than just books on them. Perhaps some lighting also. I would definitely change the wall color to something deeper to contrast and show off the pretty, light color carpeting. I myself would paint the walls something in the midtone range. A sitting area near the low and easy to look out windows. A small (round?) table to set your morning coffee on as you sit with a paper or book. As someone else said, use area rugs to delineate areas. They can be gotten on sale at local stores for reasonable prices. Will really warm up and personalize your space. Adding plants is good too.
  • Related Discussions

Bedroom makeover needed!

Q

Comments (2)
    I would suggest you take down the frilly little curtain thing over the window. I would the brown panelling off the wall. RThere seem to be ( for my taste) too many tiny things on the shelves.
    ...See More

Bedroom makeover has begun

Q

Comments (1)
    Things are starting to come together...
    ...See More

Creative ideas needed for a luxury bedroom makeover

Q

Comments (77)
    Hi Houzzers You have all been so kind with your design advice, and helped us come up with this design. I think we are nearly there, and are pretty happy with the result...we still ended up with the door into bedroom from hall....but think it will be ok.....may swing the door the other way...will put doors on bathroom and sitting(not shown) I like the 2 dressing areas we have created either side of our wardrobes, and the seperate toilet. Very happy for any other input on this design before we send it off to the builder!
    ...See More

Master bedroom makeover

Q

Comments (21)
    Oooh annb, I'm loving that last pic - like an auberginey-eggplantey colour? Now that is a beautiful colour :) And Ann, then you could alternate between using that beautiful dark rich moody floral bedding or something a little more masculine for hubby. The floral bedding may be ok if you add some more masculine natural elements to your room such as some timber bedside tables or timber bedside lamp stands ... add some candles and glass vases with some greenery like this? Casually stack some manly books on hubby's bedside table to make the space look & feel more masculine :)
    ...See More
  • Alison Wynter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow Ive been reading along as we've been moving in and organising spaces but wanted to have something different to show before I uploaded more pics. Yes the previous pics were from the previous owners. Below is what we've done so far. We've had the walls painted and we took one portion of the office desk away. I'd love the window seat to go there. We've got our furniture in but we'll put the Tv on the wall in between the two windows, above where the dresser is now. Maybe a chair in the corner where the TV unit is now. We are replacing the lights with the ones pictured and have chosen a steel brushed fan to replace the old one. We'll also be moving the fan switch that's currently above the bed and we'll put a large pic or artwork there. Our current decision is the windows... We're tossing up between shutters and blinds. White or wood? We thought white and painting the window trim white would look good with the wall and ceiling colour tones but we're concerned about the bannister and walk in wardrobe on the far side of the room. Should we paint the door trim and bannister white too then? We'd also like a curtain on the office door (and due to my working late nights taking the doors off isn't an option but not sure what colour.. Maybe to match the feature wall?
  • Alison Wynter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We also would need to replace the carpet one day, there's a bald patch under that matching carpet rug. I think the space needs a rug too, at the end of the bed or perhaps under the armchair we might put in the corner of the room.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    This is a very large room & you could use a bench at foot of bed. A seating area by tv & a lounge, float them.
  • grandmawendy
    9 years ago
    Yes, too big of a room to have everything around the outside - "hugging" the walls. You're lucky to have all that space. Live in it :)
  • debsio
    9 years ago
    Check out this arrangement. Nice and functional
    http://houzz.com/photos/345947
  • debsio
    9 years ago
    I like these blinds for your bedroom
  • debsio
    9 years ago
    Also nice blind and arrangement idea
    http://houzz.com/photos/2207471
  • ravensmom13
    9 years ago
    sorry if I missed it and this question is a repeat......but WHERE ( what state ) is this home in? Knowing your climate helps everyone give proper suggestions...
  • Alison Wynter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, sorry that I haven't said - it's in South East Queensland, Australia.
  • debsio
    9 years ago
    French doors for office area!
    http://houzz.com/photos/6646342
  • debsio
    9 years ago
    No door at all for office area?
    http://houzz.com/photos/360036
  • debsio
    9 years ago
    Love this idea for your bedroom. I know your question was blinds or shades but I couldn't help myself. Your bedroom is fabulous. You can do so many things with it. I know you already enjoy it. This option can give your bedroom privacy for both areas when you need it Hope you didn't mind me bombarding you with pics. I'm done now
    http://houzz.com/photos/2375138
  • PRO
    Sheila Fein Fantasy Pop
    9 years ago
    Add original art or art reproduced on Aluminum to pull your room and colors together www.sheilafein.com
  • Norman Willems
    9 years ago
    Great space, sometimes even harder to figure out what to do with it than a tinier room.

I really love the way we've gone with the colors on the walls and ceiling (in the living, though it can be applied in your bedroom as well in my opinion). All the walls are white (don't know the exact Farrow & Ball code from the top of my head, but it's not too bright). The ceiling is painted in a really warm and tranquil brown/clayish color. This results in a more spacious room what you don't necessary need, but when you're laying in bed it creates a really calm sight for your eyes. I only have a picture on my phone of our couch where you can see the colors.

I'd go for the bed in the middle of the room facing the side you like most. Instead of a tall bookcase, maybe a wider model could be an idea.
  • Diane G
    9 years ago
    The room is SO large that all your furniture seems dwarfed. Larger nightstands/chests, lamps, maybe even an armoire...ours is useful, has a mirrored door and takes up a lot of space in my huge room. A large area rug in the middle and a bench at the foot of the bed. A seating corner with chairs, a table and lamp for reading. No ceiling needs 2 fixtures. Here in Texas, we kept the ceiling fan..I'm a fan of the fan! ( I realize a gorgeous chandelier is trendier, but we like to be cool on those over 100* humid days!)
    I have a tall secretary beside my bed as my bedside table. And a large plant or two can fill up space. Everything just seems too far apart and too small. Might you paint your bed frame black? Remove the glass doors..That space is terrific and could really add to the charm of your room. Good luck!
  • somerspastimes
    9 years ago
    take the black doors off completely and if you still want your window seat, put it under the window where the desk is. The window valances have to go. Replace trim around the windows with a nice big molding. Hardwood floors, and a huge old armoire between the two windows! Keep colors light. Maybe a white pine ceiling???
  • honeycombe8
    9 years ago
    Oh, that's too easy! A humongous room like that would be way easy to do absolutely anything you want. A sitting/reading area is an awesome thing to have in a bedroom, and you have the space to do that! A bench at the foot of your bed, a folding screen to hide things behind, a desk. I'd just be careful not to overcrowd it with stuff. Leave open space for a luxurious feel. It'd be a great place to do yoga or other exercise. Electronics like tv and stereo, in an armoire, would be great. A few large pieces, a large bed, a sitting area. Sounds like a dream.
  • onthecoast1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    That room looks like a basketball court -- you'll need to put a couple of chairs and a little coffee table at the foot of your bed.
    For the built-in window seat, I would do an L-shape one in the corner, and would mount the TV on the straight wall between the 2 windows with a tiny dresser underneath it.
    Really hard to help though without seeing the actual furniture you'll be using in the room. EDIT: Just saw your pictures. I'd opt for a bed with higher posts or put a sofa at the foot of the bed.
    The oak trim is not helping the room, and I don't like the cove moulding along the ceiling painted the same color as the wall. Definitely need to change out the light fixtures -- I'd do a chandelier where the ceiling fan is (assuming you wouldn't use a fan there) and pot lights where the other two strange fixtures are.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    9 years ago
    First issue is that all of your furniture is lined up against a wall! Create a 'floating' seating area with a love seat, coffee table, and if you have room, a couple of small chairs; OR add a chaise with a floor lamp to create a cozy (sexy) reading area; OR a bench in front of the bed; you probably have room for a desk/vanity table as well.
    GET RID OF THE WINDOW TREATMENT VALENCES! They block great windows. Try sheer window panels in a jaquard print - either monochromatic or tone on tone. They're graceful and soft. If you need light control, add roller blackout shades that can be rolled out of sight when not needed.
    REPLACE THE CEILING FAN with a sparkling chandelier, and eliminate the other ceiling fixtures. Layer your lighting by adding floor lamps, table lamps, and perhaps mount swing arm lamps on either side of the bed for reading.
    PAINT THE WALLS a soft yellow, blue, or lavendar - or go bright with coral. Select some upholstered furniture in a soft print, and continue it as a coverlet for the bed.
    There's plenty more... but this is a good start.
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    I like the color you chose. It is very serene.

Whether you keep the wood trim or paint it white will have a major effect on the overall mood. Wood is cozy and can be made to look luxurious or rustic. Wood trim is an "element" in the room - as much so as any furniture or paint color. That may be good or may not be, depending on your taste. White trim is more versatile and it stays quietly in the background without calling attention to itself.

I personally love wood trim but I definitely understand why people like to paint it white. White does go with everything and wood is difficult to match with paint colors. If you like white trim, go for it. If you do paint any of the trim, I would think you should paint of all it. However, the banister would not need to match the trim, I wouldn't think. I have seen many wood banisters of that type in houses with white trim. A white painted banister is impractical. Hands have oils that transfer to the banister and show up as grey smudges. I've had white banisters in several houses and they always look dirty. Wood banisters are much more forgiving.

Regarding shutters vs. blinds, have a quote for each done. The price difference may help your decision. Shutters are usually much pricier. More beautiful, to be sure, but pricier. If you go with shutters, I think they should match the trim. Wood blinds for wood trim, white blinds for white trim. But that's just my opinion.

A white or off-white/cream color curtain for the office area would be the most versatile color. You already have some white in the bedding, so it would not be a whole new color, plus, like white trim, it goes with most anything so you can change up the wall color as often as you like without having to think about changing out the curtain each time as well. Plus, it also looks good with wood if you decide to keep the wood trim and it would provide continuity of color if you went with white trim.

You will probably want to keep the vertical blinds that are on the door to the office if you work at night and if the light would bother your husband. I know a lot of people don't like them, but they really are the most practical solution to that type of door. Plus, the curtain you hang can easily cover it. If you really must remove it, then disregard my previous advice for a white curtain. In my experience, white "blackout" curtains are either ineffective or extremely stiff and heavy. Go with something dark so that light does not pass through as easily. Just be aware that a dark curtain of that size will be a major visual element in the room.
  • hamster6440
    9 years ago
    Try ripping up the carpet and adding wood, then put a small carpet in front of the bed, and add some blue chairs.
  • Brandy Babcock
    9 years ago
    Because of the size of the room, you need some substantial pieces. A four poster bed, or something with headboard and footboard, is a good starting point. Add a couch or bench at the end of the bed. You can usually find cheap bench in a resale shop and you can recover yourself if it has fabric. Those windows are beautiful and need beautiful curtains to go with them - floor to ceiling would look nice in this large space. If money is an issue you can make a focal point between the windows with a mirror or artwork then flank with two chairs to make a sitting area. You need to tie in the little office décor in with your bedroom to extend the space - curtains around the office entry would look nice and inviting.
  • Brandy Babcock
    9 years ago
    To paint wood or not to paint wood? If the rest of the house trim is wood - I would leave it alone, but if the rest of the house does not have wood trim, I would definitely paint it white and use white blinds/shutters.
    Based on the AFTER photos you posted, you should move the dresser with the TV to the corner (where the TV is in the pics) and put seating in front of the windows - that way you can view the TV from bed or one of the seats. The wood on the bed and trim has a yellow/orange tone, so you can either use that in your decorations (artwork/upholstery/area rug) to make things blend, or else it will stand out - like it does now.
  • Brandy Babcock
    9 years ago
    Bed stands are definitely needed. If you need more storage consider small cabinets or small dressers to flank the bed. I, myself, am trying to get out my matchy, matchy mode and would agree with one of the other posts that mentioned painting the bed (and dresser) to make a better statement in your room, rather than just matching the wood tones already present.
  • lucas13414
    9 years ago
    My first thought when I saw the room with your furniture in it was that everything seemed way too small for the space. I like the color you painted behind the bed, but the bed doesn't look like a king and the bed head and foot board are too much of the same color wood. An earlier comment about larger pieces is right on target. Low chests for night stands, an armoire to house the TV with additional storage below, a loveseat or two chairs with a small table, etc. If you leave the wood trim as is I like the picture someone posted of the wood blinds inset, very clean, yet cozy. You could add dummy panels to the windows for softness and more color. Consider an upholstered headboard, it would be a soft surface, eliminate some of the wood and I love mine for sitting up and reading. It is a wonderful space and so huge!
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Paint a color inside of bookcase. Drapes to soften & fill room.
  • ravensmom13
    9 years ago
    Alison....here's just a thought....not sure what you have for clothing/storage space in your bedroom, but this is a pic of the bed unit we have...it's a king size...we actually used 2 twin mattress/box spring units on a king frame ( hubby has back problems AND was cheaper!! LOL )...this IS a HUGE piece, but you DO have the wall space for it....storage in 2 drawers at bottom of each side....open area ( with a light ) above drawers...and 3 shelves behind the 2 doors at top of each side....TONS of storage space!! PLUS....behind the pillows, shelf runs width of mirrors, with open area in middle, and a drop-down door on each side for even MORE storage!! And there are built-in lights in the "bridge" connecting the two end units at the top for reading in bed. We put the bed frame on "risers".....voila!...even MORE storage room with drawers on wheels to be accessed easily when needed....great for extra bedding, etc.........just a thought, as this unit is "bulky" in presence ( where you have such a large area ), gives you lots of extra storage, but eliminates the need for bedside tables & lamps ( which can look out of place in such a large room )......
  • PRO
    The Classy Home
    9 years ago
    You should put TV on wall. put rug at the foot of the bed. you can arrange chaise or chair and ottoman for window seat. you can also put seating bench at the foot of the bed for seating. you can also put recliner for window seating. http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=32081&Furniture=Transitional+Deep+cappuccino+Cal+King+Fabric+Wrapped+Bed+300369Kw
  • Kiki S
    9 years ago
    Great space! Wallpaper is coming back in style, and is here to stay. My suggestion is to start with a wallpaper you love with a large design. Paper the wall with the 2 windows, and the wall with the sliding door. Paint the other walls. Go for a heavy luxurious curtain fabric, and ceiling to floor curtains for the windows and sliding door. Two upholstered chairs in front of the windows that coordinate with the curtains. You can also have throw pillows made. Zinc textile has some amazing fabrics. Get a very large ceiling lamp, such as the Brunklaus shady trees in 3 feet diameter. A reading lamp on both sides of the bed.
  • Kiki S
    9 years ago
    A beautiful make up table would also be nice!
  • wozar
    9 years ago
    I would put up a stud wall and make a walk-in ensuite at the foot of the bed
  • judith1922
    9 years ago
    this is what i think:

get rid of every single thing, carpet, valences, bookcase, bed, all furnitures and coverings.
    then make the sideroom a plant room. TILE the floor in the sideroom with a sea-green rectangular tile...moroccan or mexican and lay it in a cheveron type design (find on line).

depending on where your house is use no curtains at all. if necessary, use solar blinds, grey colour.

if there is hardwood under the carpet, leave it. if not lay a hardwood floor. i don't know the layout of the room (2 sides missing) so i don't know where to place the bed, in anycase get a platform bed.

other things will follow naturally.
  • judith1922
    9 years ago
    further....use a pallet of soft greys. paint the walls and ceiling the same colour. the only difference being, the ceiling gets ceiling paint and the walls a smooth velvet, one above matte (shinier than matte).

bed covering a plain white duvet cover. the duvet sits on top of the bedsheet. nothing else.
    accents should pick out the colours of the plants. greens, yellows, chartreuse. remove fan and light fixtures on the ceiling. replace with stainless steel or any grey metal pot lights.

no frills.
  • Sheila Fein
    9 years ago
    What about a Fantasy Portrait to personalize your space? http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/users/sheila_fein
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    9 years ago
    Based on the size of the bedroom, your home is crying out for professional help. My advice is to start an idea book; and when you have a feel of what you want your home to say about you and your family, seek out a reputable interior designer in your community who has satisfied clients.

You are talking about a significant investment in your home. You will save money by working with a designer. Frequently homeowners suffers buyers' remorse (the dilemma of what to do with the sofa, the built-ins, or fill in the blanks) that didn't translate well into their home.

A small percentage of money invested in design fees, makes buyers' remorse a rare occurrence. It is a misconception that interior designers cost more. We are professionally trained to look at the whole picture. We research, test, question, plan, study & project manage every detail, so that your end result fulfills your functional needs and aesthetic.

Your part of the project is to set a budget, give the designer some indication of general color preferences, style and functional needs. She or he will use this criteria to design a custom plan for you and will manage your project so that the contractors and vendors accurately follow the plan. Even if your budget is minimal, the design fee is your road map and will be the best investment of all.

Here are some comments from satisfied clients of mine. Your choice of a designer in your community, hopefully, will have similar respect and satisfaction from his or her clients.

"She is able to quickly understand what the client wants, so there is no time wasted."

"Prior to her attention, no one could see how the spaces could be utilized.
    her energy and style always deliver!"

"She was prompt and listened to what we wanted our living space to say about us. She really 'got' our vision and stayed on budget. It was a fun and exciting experience. The end result was so much greater than I imagined."

"I still love the color scheme after 10 years."

"Her vision and ability to coordinate tradespeople to achieve the best possible results within a realistic budget are admirable. Her impeccable reputation for integrity and high standards of business ethics made it a joy to be a part of her organization. I would recommend her without hesitation to anyone seeking a talented, intelligent designer who stands by her work in every instance."

ferriszoedesign.com
  • PRO
    Well Dressed Windows, Inc.
    9 years ago
    As far as the windows go, you were questioning whether to get blinds and shutters. There is quite a big difference in pricing between 2" wood blinds and shutters. Wood blinds are definitely the more reasonably priced option if price is an issue. If you need blackout, since you evidentially sleep during the day, blackout honeycombs are your best choice. On the sliding glass door, I would put a blackout lined drape, tying it to the color of your bedding. And on the two single windows, you can add a valance over the blinds or shades in the same fabric to tie it all together. As far as the woodwork, your question was whether to paint them white or leave them stained. Since all of your furniture is stained, I think that having painted trim would offer some interest to the room so that everything is not so "matchy matchy". I would paint the chair rail and the trim around the closet door too.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    9 years ago
    Here's a great example of custom furniture by Dura Supreme... You can create your own unique look to fit your style! Choose from different door styles, fishes, furniture legs, etc. and build it to fit your space.
    Mandi @ Dura
    Custom Furniture Pieces · More Info
  • PRO
    Mr Cook & Mr Morris Design
    8 years ago

where are you located?

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our Corporate Headquarters is located in Howard Lake, MN however does not have showrooms for public viewing. If you would like to see showrooms containing our cabinets you can use the following link to search for a dealer close to you or visit the Mingle Showroom in Plymouth, MN they have a fantastic array of cabinet displays. - Michelle @ Dura

Dealer Locator

• bluebird96
    7 years ago

That is an enormous bedroom! your furniture kinda looks a bit lost at the mo?! Wallpaper - add some wall art, reading nook, add a walk in robe? Curtains that go to the floor would fill up the space - a floor rug .

Don't be afraid to use colour and texture is this bedroom!

• Terri Turner
    7 years ago

What a great big room. The ideas are endless. Not sure if you live in Melb but I would get professional help. Honestly it doesn't cost a lot and you have peace of mind. For the painting go to any paint store, even Bunnings. They have the ph nos for a paint colour consultant. (I went with Dulux) but most Paint companies now have colour consultants to come out for a fee.
    The consultant comes out for a fee approx.($150) but that was for a few rooms. Then if you buy their paint, the price of the consultation is deducted off the paint you purchase. So really the consultation is free, if you choose their paint. Freedom decorator consultant works the same way. Can't remember how much (no more than $200) and she gave me great ideas. If you buy anything from them, again it's deducted off your purchase. There is no commitment with either paint company of Freedom to purchase from them. The advantage is, you can have the amount spent deducted from purchase. Honestly it cost saving and you get professional advise. Win Win situation. We've built 3 times and painted the house myself, and I have been so glad I did the above, with both paint and furnishings.. Plus I do up my own furniture, (most bought at garage sales) so I only purchased what I really wanted from Freedom, the rest 99%, I got from op shops and did up myself. But the ideas are helpful. Honestly, you need to know what decore you want in your room? So they will work around that. If your unsure, they will look at the rest of the house and work with your ideas. I like French provin. So I worked around that, Just to give you ideas you don't have to spend a fortune.

My bedroom is also huge. Haven't took photos all-round.

I redid all the furniture in both rooms.
    The above cabinet was brown stain which I painted white. GOODLUCK

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    If you like this images search Greg Natale bedrooms
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    This is an old post why is it still here , disregard it please, your bedroom is long finished by now.
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    7 years ago
    With the windows being so long I think it would be a bit difficult to put in a window seat. Maybe get a couple of open style armchairs and footstools instead.

A day bed or window seat could be put into the other space beyond the doors. Will you be keeping the doors?

Curtains will go a long way to changing the feel of the room. You may also want to paint the window frames and skirting boards.

It's a gorgeous space. Enjoy!
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    OLD POST
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    7 years ago

I'd love to see hoe the final project turned out. Mandi @ Dura