Houzz Logo Print
sharon1984

Best way to house a growing puppy?

Sharon Bouchard
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will soon be much larger and I haven't given much thought to dog house. Can anyone suggest particualr styles that work well in colder climates (I live in Canberra, Australia - temperature about freezing!) for putting on our back verandah at night?

Comments (163)

• Bridget
    9 years ago
    If you have mosquitoes in the summer where your live, please be aware you dog could get heart worms sleeping outside in the summer. The treatment for that is not cheap.
  • margitmeyer
    9 years ago
    Crate training your dog in the house is your best option. I have always raised large breed dogs from puppies and never had any issues with my dogs. They are my 'furry' kids and never spend time outside without us. During the puppy stage the dog needs be to be in their crate/house whenever you are not home and at night. Depending on the dog, you can usually stop doing this around 12-18 months. Being a good 'parent' and helping your dog learn good behavior is the best option.
  • Related Discussions

What's your best housekeeping tip?

Q

Comments (22)
    I agree, everything must have is own home. I bought a heap of small sets of drawers and labeled them so everyone knows where everything goes. Declutter, if you don't love it use it or need it, out it goes. I have a chore chart app that i follow each day and it only takes a few minutes and the place looks good. Everyone must tidy up their stuff before bed and again before going to school. With the app you can also have it so everyone has their own chores.
    ...See More

What's the best part of living near the coast?

Q

Comments (19)
    @ gladaboutown I am a city kid originally then spent my mid teenage years in Europe..(did not like that). Before that I lived on Nauru Island with my parents just after the end of WWII ( that's telling isn'r it!).. Your friend's 1800 farm house sounds lovely. My paternal Grandparents had a lovely old home at Beechworth in Victoria and before that at Woodend and I loved being at them both...guess I'm a country kid at heart but wqually happy in the Pacific. Yes we are luck to have such choices given what we see on the news. Hope we continue to have our country freedom.....bit of a scary thought that we may not always be safe in the cities....but there's always places like Charleville and White Cliffs and underground dwellings in Queensland...pretty remote. The fresh produce is the BEST! Good that the farmers travel to the city aras to sell their wares...we'll be needing them more and more. I live in a fruit and veg growing area with wineries, piggeries, Emu farms, sheep etc etc and all sorts of othe wonderful "down to earth" industries. Close to home I have the Strawberry Fields where one can pick their own...YUM, and a Bertry Farm that makes their own jams and sauces...and a Jam Factory. I wondered why I came her ages ago when it was not as interesting and there were lots of yobbos...but it is rathetr villagey now and we have visitors galore. I am lucky. Missing the beach, but hey, can't have it all! One lady wrote that she has barracudas in the canal at the end of their canal developement...and sharks...No thanks.
    ...See More

Increasing the Size of a Home to Accommodate a Growing Family

Q

Comments (3)
    A beautiful and sympathetic facade transformation and update to accomodate a needs of the family.
    ...See More

Design challenge - How to best use this space?

Q

Comments (8)
    The best use of that space depends on what is happening around it. Which orientation does it face? How does it relate to the back garden? Are there views? How close is the neighbour, and is there a privacy issue? Good design is not about filling up space, but making a home work for the environment it is in and your future household needs. I might suggest that you look into the value that a professional designer can bring to a project, especially in the preparation of scaled plans with furniture to see how spaces work and flow (or don't work and don't flow!). Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits.
    ...See More
  • jetsonf
    9 years ago
    Bridget,
    Most dogs in Australia are given heart worm prevention tablets or injections all their lives.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yup, vaccinate, spay , microchip and worm, that's the drill.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    I would have to knock out my one dog to microchip. Digger is a very big baby when it comes to pain. I get stressed out and that makes matters worse. I get very upset with any animal in pain. I had a GPS collar on him for a few years. We do not have a lease law, plus very rural, being half Husky makes him a roamer, his side kick Scruffy is a hound dog who loves kids. They like to go to the school, 4 miles away and play with the kids. Fortunate for me everyone knows them, plus my phone number is on their collars. People call all the time and let me know where my dogs are. Digger finds his way back home, but Scruffy always finds the houses that love dogs and they call me to come get him. Scruffy also finds the nicest houses, one was on top of the mountain will views for miles, mountain view, lake view, golf course views, several on the lake. All the kids at a summer golf resort know my dogs, kind if grew up with them. Some of the kids that did not have pets, would have a dog for the day to run and play with. One little girl asked if Scruffy could stay for a while. It helps for the kids to make friends when there is a dog around. I let it be known that Digger and Scruffy would chase any bears or large wild animals that might be around.
    Attaching pics so everyone can know who I am talking about. Digger is the Shepard/Husky and Scruffy is the hound dog.
    Digger with visiting labs, Digger & Scruffy on my neighbors couch and chair. Digger in house I am renovating.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    Scruffy relaxing
  • wisneb
    9 years ago
    Our GS was never in a kennel or crate. Always a very social lifestyle and loving. He was a perfect companion for our family.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I've had my last three dogs microchipped, and it doesn't cause the dog any more discomfort than a rabies shot.
  • whattahouse
    9 years ago
    Jill, calm down. You are not being fair by saying Sharon should give up her puppy just because you don't approve of her question. Do you live where she lives? I personally would never leave a dog outside even in temperate weather as I prefer my pooches to be inside with us. But to totally cast Sharon as a dog abuser -which is a pretty harsh term - is wrong. It sound to me that Sharon needs guidance in the way of dog training.

Sharon: German Shepherds are a smart, beautiful -and calm breed. Once your darling pup grows up ( which happens all too fast) and the puppiness subsides, it will be a magnificent companion who will not be " all over" you. Do please give it the training it deserves and let it sleep indoors with you -always! Dogs rely on us for their training and guidance - and give so very much in return. Just learn the appropriate training (which means you need to learn, too) and yes please do microchip and neuter your dog -and please always, always keep its collar -with a tag -on. Please license your pooch, too, with the appropriate authority. You will enjoy years of unconditional love and protection! It's your job to teach your dog how to mesh with your lifestyle. And, by the way, we never have crated our large dogs - and we have always had 2 or 3 large breed dogs at a time. Never a problem with sleeping!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Sharon is not an abuser. Stop insulting the Aussie culture.
  • whattahouse
    9 years ago
    One other excellent reason to start Manny out right by keeping him inside at night is that as a large breed, German Shepherds are prone to hip dysplasia and joint issues -which cold weather will certainly exacerbate. This is a VERY common issue with this breed which can cause severe mobility issues. There is no reason to add to the mix on this one: training Manny to be indoors overnight will pay off in the long run. It IS an issue. Also consider pet insurance -try to find a policy where the premium stays within a certain range for the life of your pooch. Our beautiful mutt tore her cruciate ligament 2 weeks before this past Christmas (during a normal outing in the yard 1st thing in the morning) and all I can say is thank goodness for pet insurance! It didn't cover everything but it did help.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    We have no pets persay. We feed the stray cats, and they find shelter in our crawl space. We got one to finally come in once a while in winter but still he perfers the cold outdoors for the most part. Because of the strays i designed our crawlspace so they enter easily. And got plastic boxes lined with old clothes
  • User
    9 years ago
    They probably keep it free of pests.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Well, i guess the cats help..i mean we haven't seen a mouse yet...but i don't know if we had mouse problem to begin with
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    Jill, chill out! 32 degrees outside is not cold to a GS. When it gets that cool out my mix loves it. Digger gets very frisky, wants to run an play, loves the cool weather. After going fishing and bring back the cooler, we would dump the ice in the yard, my first Shepard would lay on the ice. They love the snow, make doggie angels, stick their noses in the snow, run around crazy. It is so much fun to watch your dogs playing.
    If you want to talk about abuse, let's talk about what the breeders in the USA have done to the breed with the sloping back, which cause major hip problems. If I ever bought a GS dog, which i never have, I would get one from England or German, where they have kept the backs straight, the way a dog's back should be.
    The one problem Sharon may have is the house will be too warm for the Manny, in the winter, and she might preferred to be outside. Some breeds of dogs have a type of coat that helps them be cool in summer and warm in winter. Shepard's do, hound dogs don't.
  • jetsonf
    9 years ago
    This is a very bizarre discussion in some ways. Not sure where 32 degrees was mentioned but in Australia that would be Celsius and hot! I am actually shocked about anyone letting their dogs roam far and wide. Dogs are microchipped as puppies before sale here then registered with the local council. Animals roaming the streets are picked up by rangers and taken to the Dog Pound. Microchips are then traced to owners. I smile at visions of dogs romping in the snow. This is Australia....very little snow.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    My dogs do not roam far and wide, the have friends they visit, many friends. My dogs are not vicious, they do not have a "pack" mentality. They are very good with children and other dogs. I live in the mountains of North Carolina, we have black bears, wild hogs and panthers. Many people who visit here are not aware of the danger from these animals. If Digger and Scruffy see people going for a walk, they will go with them, because they love people. They are also protecting these people and their dogs from bears, wild hogs and panthers. I know this, I have seen my dogs chase bears off of our ridge. Once the go back into the woods, my dogs walk away and come back. My dogs have access to 50+ acres, we do not live near any highways, my dogs are street smart.

I have made friends with some because of my dogs, my one neighbor has three Shih Tzus. Digger considers they part of his pack and protects them from other dogs that may visit. My neighbors have seen Digger doing this and is a comfort to them. Scruffy and Digger also keep large wild animals away from there house. There is a family that has a second home just at the bottom of our driveway. Every time some one visits, the kids love that Digger and Scruffy come down and visit. Digger and Scruffy play in the creek with them. The one daughter stayed for a year when she was going for her masters, she was also a triathlon athlete. Digger would go on 6 mile runs with her. Digger has a special bond with her. Their neighbor is an older woman, Jo who comes up in the summer, Digger and Scruffy visit her and Jo loves that they remember her.

Digger and Scruffy's "godparents" live in a summer golf resort, 3 miles away. They have a very special bond. The "boys" (my dogs) will go over in the morning, G let's Digger in, he runs up the stairs jumps in bed with L cuddles a while then goes back out. When L gets up, she will sit on the porch while Digger and her Airedale terrier play, running around like puppies. Digger knows, some way, when the are up for a visit. This was very healing when L was going thru treatment for cancer. Dogs don't care what you look like, if you have no hair, they still love you, want to be with you. If you are an kid that needs a friend, a dog will be there for you.

My boys do not roam far and wide, they visit friends, spread love. I think it is great that a kid that does not have a pet at home, can have a great dog for a day, when they come to the mountains for vacation.

Sharon is a loving caring dog owner. She would not have posted the question if she wasn't. I am confident that Sharon will be a loving responsible dog owner for Manny.

For Sharon, give your dog lots of love, exercise and training, Manny will be a great friend.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    I don't know what dogs are like in Austriala, but this is what doges are like in the USA. This was a Husky, the are known for being escape artist!

Caught on Camera: Dog Robs Dollar General
    by Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell Monday, December 16, 2013

A “pawsitively” bad dog in Clinton, S.C. was apprehended last week after he was caught on security camera taking off with goods from a Dollar General.

The crime spree began when Cato the Husky broke away from his leash and headed straight for the store.

According to Fox Carolina, the surveillance cameras showed Cato walking up to the doors at approximately 9:38 a.m., however, the doors closed before he could make his way in. Finally, he was able to sneak in with customers where he proceeded to rob the store of pigs ears, beef bones, dog food, and treats.

The four-legged bandit then left the store in less than a minute, but returned about three minutes later.

"We had to lock the door to keep him from coming back in," said store manager Anastasia Polson.

Cato must have known that he needed to hide his loot because he took all the stolen goods and buried them nearby.

The police, who filled out a report just for the fun of it, might have asked Cato for a confession, but the four-legged bandit exercised his fifth amendment -- right against self-incrimination.

The 'red-pawed' dog did have to spend some time in the pokey, but Holly Darden, Cato’s mom, bailed him out and paid for the stolen goods.

This isn't the first time Cato has entered local businesses.

"He's gotten into Ingles. He's gotten into BI-LO. He goes to Pizza Hut. And he goes up to Yo Cup which is downtown too," Darden said.

We are happy to report that Cato is now back home lounging around the house.

Image/via Fox Carolina News Facebook page
  • Christalyn
    9 years ago
    Get an electronic doggie door and call it a day.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Or call it a door.
  • satutry
    9 years ago
    Hi Sharon ! Please visit Griffin Shepherd kennels on Facebook or look at their videos on YouTube - you will be amazed what you could do / how to train your puppy :)
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    When you have more than one dog and/or have an older dog with a new puppy, the older dog trains the new dog, either good behavior or bad. If you ever watch the training of sheep or cattle dogs, it is always more than one dog. Same with good hunting dogs. It usually is not the person who trains, it is really another dog.
    Mother dogs teach their pups manners, don't bite, leave me alone, Cesar Milan shows a lot of this in his early shows. Just like our mothers taught us.
    Remember the looks your mother could give you, my mother had the eye look, my father the a mouth thing.
    Tap on the picture for the whole thing!
  • Ruth Tekell
    9 years ago
    Bridget, I for one did not mean to suggest your dogs have a "pack mentality". I'm just saying they are pack animals by nature, meaning they like to hang out with their family, and they usually consider their owners members of their family. Some fish do not thrive alone if they are schooling fish. They are happier with others of their kind. "Pack mentality" is different. It usually refers to a behavior, dangerous to humans and other animals, and occurs when they are left to survive on their own, or they are captive, there are more than 3 or 4, and there are some dominance issues or other dysfunctional dynamic. I am going to stop writing now because I don't know how much you do or don't know and don't want to offend you. I am sure you are an animal lover and will take good care of your sweet pup and give it a great life. He is super adorable! Oh, one more thing--PETA has a blueprint of a dog house they are sending around and you can probably get one from their website. It looked pretty good. Best of luck.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    Thank you Ruth, I just want everyone know that I am very respectful to other people and their pets. If I thought for one moment that my two boys would hurt anyone or another dog, they would not be permitted to run free. Digger doesn't even chase cats, he try's to make friends. I have had many people tell me what great dogs the boys are, that they go to their house and play with their dogs. Or the see them all over. One of the guys from the power company shares his lunch with them, the UPS guy knows them, one time at the vet's office a gentleman came in and ask about Digger. He said he sees him at Trillium(summer golf community) all the time, did not think Digger would ride in a car.
    I do have a female that is keep inside. She protects my home. I can not trust her around other dogs or males of any age. She will not back down. She is kept on a leash until I reach my neighbors property or at night when everyone else is inside, I let her run, while I am outside, with her.

I had a dog attacked and died from a much large dog attack. I will not do that to another dog or person.

There is a book "The Secret Lives of Dogs". It gives in sight to Huskys and some dogs that are just roamers. My aunt had a dog that about once a month she would let run at night. She would let Bozo out in her back yard, he would jump the fence. The next morning, Bozo would be waiting by the back door. She lived in a very congest area. I have learned some dogs just need to run and roam. If you do not let them, they will find away. Dig under the fence, climb the fence, back out of their collars and away the go. I am just luck I live where I do.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    Digger and Scruffy waiting for their godmother to come back to the mountains
  • Cynthia Kennedy
    9 years ago
    Dogs should not have to live out side anyway!!! A dog is a key family member in my opinion
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    (raised hand) I have a question: if it's okay for a dog to live in a people house, is it okay for people to live in a dog house?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Haven't you seen the ''small house movement'' trailers? People ARE living in dog houses.
  • Ella
    9 years ago
    Hi Sharon, I too live in Canberra and have a new German Shepherd puppy (14 weeks old). Our boy doesn't sleep outside yet but is out all day. He is not bothered by the cold at all and likes to be outside (even with the -7 mornings the last few days!). The ACT German Shepherd Association told us that the stock (short) coats are affected less by the cold as they have a double coat (although your pup looks like a long-coat and apparently they don't have a double coat). Our trainer suggested that many people buy small colourbond/tin garden sheds and convert those into a shelter however they do not really keep the temperature well regulated unless you get the insulated ones. Our boy just has an extra large kennel that we picked up from Masters (only about $100) that is placed in a sheltered area against the house and lots of cosy bedding. Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @Sophie Wheeler-Well, I...hadn't thought of it that way.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    River Valley, I'm in the dog house right now.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @Barnhart Gallery-Yeah, I figured someone would say that, but that wasn't the thrust of my question.

I'm going to get in trouble here...oh well, it's morning on a Thursday. @Darla Scheuerman- It's Interesting you should bring up the hip problems of GSD. Aside from the fact that dogs are pack animals, do we owe purebreds an inside house because our selective breeding techniques have created these problems? Mutts don't seem to have them.
  • Kathy Varone
    9 years ago
    River, another discussion on a different blog, Mutts vs selective breeds, be ready for some crazy comments.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    @River Valley...
    It's okay Alan, you ONLY "get in trouble" on days that end in Y.
    But MAN... the "animal control" people (who build their homes around their pets comfort) will be screaming for your head on a pike...
    Oh-oh... I think I can hear the thought police gathering to come for you!

Woof!
    What's that Lassie?... Alan's trapped in the mine?...
    Woof woof!
    What do you mean you want to go for lunch, girl?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You know, people who read my comments about pets think I am an animal hater; I'm not(well, I don't like cats). I had a dog once and it is a tragic story that ended prematurely, and no, I do not wish to discuss it.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    I never could understand how people could not like a cat. (Or any animal) I can understand not wanting to own one, but how does one not like an innocent, harmless sweet little animal?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You mean like innocent, sweet little disease-carrying mice and rats? I've got a neighbor down the street who raises them(rats that is).
    Now I wouldn't be averse to having a cat around...at least roaming the neighborhood should those little buggers ever try to escape. ;-)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Didn't read the posts-too many. My never to be humble opinion is pets are in the house with the family except when they are out at the dog park or being walked. I've had an Akita mix and now a shepherd/collie mix, both in a townhome, both dogs never caused a barking, chewing or other bad behaviour problem.
  • Bridget
    9 years ago
    Not everyone wants to be a pet owner, I understand that. I will not have a cat because I hate cleaning the litter boxes.
    I have dogs, which I love, but they are also make me get up out of bed and walk them, rain or shine, hot or cold. They help me move, not dwell on the negatives, make me laugh, give me love. I respect peoples wish that don't want a dog, cat or any pet. For people with chronic pain or mental health issues our pets basically help keep us alive.
    Service dogs help people with epilepsy, diabetics, other issues, may even save their lives.
    I have been told by several police officers, the best protect for you and your home, are two middle to large dogs. Strangers do not know my Shepard/Husky mix is friendly, he looks mean, that is all I need.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Even a couple of overly-aggressive Chihuahuas would have me not turn my back on them. I did a job once where the homeowners had 4 dogs of various sizes from St. Bernard on down. The St. Bernard didn't bark, but the three smaller ones did. I always kept one eye out for the smallest one; he would try to sneak up behind me and I always felt like he was looking for a place to bite.
    Sharon Bouchard thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • Esther Woodward
    9 years ago
    Your question to an outside kennel, it will need to be tough. A GSD can chew almost anything , I think Canberra weather is way too cold to have Manny as an outside dog. Buy a extra large crate and keep him inside. Crate train your pup, they will learn to toilet train quicker there is a lot of info out there to google. GSD's need to be part of the family or there can be behavioural issues. Are you renting? is this the reason for the kennel outside?
    Sharon Bouchard thanked Esther Woodward
  • Sharon Bouchard
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Esther, It is my place but I just think that my dogs can cope most of the year. They will tell me if they can't.
  • Kimiko Lopez
    9 years ago
    Awww hes sooo adorable ! He can come to my house and sleep on my bed :)
  • Marj Kibby
    8 years ago

Train him to love being in a crate and let him sleep in the crate INDOORS at night. Apart from his comfort, dogs outside at night chase and kill possums, get into fights with cats, and bark at neighbourhood movements.

• Draga
    8 years ago

www.houndhouse.com.au The ultimate dog kennel. Cool in summer and warm in winter. Excellent for elderly/sickly dogs too. Mine sleep indoors however they have a Hound House on the deck when they're outside and in need of shelter. Or you could look to Houzz for inspiration...some gorgeous dog ideas to be found!!

Dog Friendly Remodel · More Info

• busy betty
    6 years ago

This is a way old post but i would like to say i think dogs can live in or outside. It's up to them where they are happy!

• Z S
    4 years ago

mate, he won't want to live anywhere apart from you. this is my Zara below, and that is the maximum distance apart from me that she ever is. save your money and just get a decent indoor dog bed.

• HU-784009584
    3 years ago

Hi Sharon! There's plenty of well ventilated dog kennels that will be suitable during both summer and winter. I've seen some that have roofs that can open up during summer and close during winter. If you're keeping your pup outside during winter maybe put a nice dog beds and a few blankets to keep your pup warm!