Houzz Logo Print
houzzau

Are farmhouse sinks overrated?

HouzzAU
9 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

A Houzzer tells us that they got their dream sink installed last year but having lived with it for nearly twelve months, they actually can't stand it! The Houzzer says that their dream farmhouse sink is not what she expected. Complaints include; the lack of drainage area is a nightmare, the porous, white surface always looks dirty as food stains and sticks to it, water pools in the bottom instead of draining away. Tell us if you think that the hype and popularity of farmhouse sinks may have gone beyond their practicality...

Yes, they are overrated
No, they're great!

Comments (151)

• Lisa Sapio
    9 years ago
    I have a farmhouse sink that is made of hammered copper which has an aged look. It is not shiny and it is beautiful! When it stains I can clean it, and they tell me that in is antibacterial??? Not sure but we love it anyway. Easy to clean and different than everybody else's sink.
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    I've rented many, many apartments and used many different sinks. My all-time, hands-down favorite was a huge, single-basin, white porcelain, deep deep, sink with integrated drainboard from the 40s or 50s. Not sure if it qualifies as a "farmhouse" since it doesn't have the apron-front, or if "farmhouse" sinks are just any large single sinks.

I loved the white because it was easy to see what was in the sink (stainless is darker and even in good light, is a little more difficult to see into). Also, the white is more cheerful to my eye than grey stainless. Although I have to say that stainless is the most forgiving of all materials when it comes to banging pots and pans around.

The best part of it though was the size. I absolutely loved the depth and overall hugeness. It was so easy to wash dishes because there was enough room to flip around large pots, pans, and cookie sheets without bumping into the faucet or the sides of the sink. I let silverware soak in a dishpan while I washed the other stuff. A dishpan gives you the practicality of a double sink while being able to remove it when you want a single sink.

The sink in the house I bought is a sink-and-a-half. It is so small. I can't stand it. I absolutely hate this sink. I'll be redoing the kitchen soon and the sink is the first thing to go. I'll probably go with a stainless steel sink for practicality, but I will definitely be getting the largest single-bowl sink I can fit in my kitchen.
  • Related Discussions

Looking for sink grid for 30 x 17.5" farmhouse sink.

Q

Comments (5)
    I have not seen sink grids before - is this what you mean? If it was 1 inch too small all around, i think it would shuffle a bit but it is unlikely you would notice it much. And if it didn't have some gap, it would scrape as you took it in and out. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Oliveri or Franke sinks?

Q

Comments (55)
    Hi all, great post. Hard to find alot of reviews in kitchen sinks. Ive been looking at oliveri sinks to. Got nervous due to bad reviews. @Azur Farrell I went and looked at ABI on the goldcoast. Very helpful and sales pitch was great. The lady there had installed two gunmetal sinks in her home and said she was more than happy. For me the sinks was not quite the right size. She did tell me that the colour was 3/4 the way thru. ?? This might make scratches less obvious. I need to do more research on this as its only natural that your sink will get a scratch or two over x amount of years. I had More or less decided on the spectra in gun metal. (Wanted a bigger bowl). Did you get yours Azur? Im wonder if its scratches easily. Given its only 1.2mm coating im concerned it will be more obvious. (As opposed to stainless steel) FYI A sale lady told me that Abey pulled their gunmetal sink off the market. She wasn’t sure why but they where not happy with the product. If anyone can help re coloured spectra oliveri sinks i would love some feedback. As its undermount.. it wont be an easy task to replace.
    ...See More

Wincy Meow

Q

Comments (12)
    Yes I agree about the ceramic butler sinks but I've read negatives about the functionality - chipping, staining and breaking glasses etc. I thought the ss would give me a good compromise with the look (sort of) and the durability. Is it the look of the ss that you're not keen on? I thought it would give the kitchen a 'different' look. I'm going for a Hampton style kitchen - white cupboards with either marble or very light granite bench tops. Thank you very much for your replies. Any more advice or opinions are VERY welcome. PS. All the new appliances will be ss.
    ...See More

Stainless Steel Farmhouse Sink Australia

Q

Comments (1)
    Some tips in here https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/wincy-meow-dsvw-vd~3700296?n=12
    ...See More
  • texasvernacular
    9 years ago
    Hi PDreger. Where did you find your farmhouse sink with the attached drainboard? I've found a few sinks with drainboards, but not a Farmhouse sink with one. Even if I don't get a farmhouse sink, I want one installed as close to the edge of the counter as possible so I do not have to lean way in to work over it.
  • kellyslobodian
    9 years ago
    years ago put in a deep gray swamstone and a quarter sink( sink with a small sink side by side,)great sink,never looked dirty,excellent size,yes not trendy but worked really well with huge stone fireplace in adjoining great room.I would do it again?if still available,agree deep big sinks a must not too trendy farmhouse,like the look though and good point all of kitchen looks dated after a decade!
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Lifestyles
    9 years ago
    I think it looks fine!
    -Fratantoni Lifestyles
  • Connie
    9 years ago
    so all the people with the ikea sinks-do they drain better? is there a bit of slope to the base? my sink is dead flat, I have looked at these. they are much shallower though, so wondered about this being an issue?
  • Connie
    9 years ago
    people saying they date...how can something that is as old as the hills, a classic, ever really date? I think its the little black deress of the kitchen. I think what will date is what you put around the sink, and how that fits with the rest of the house/your lifestyle. Farmhouse kitchen/sink in a modern built home...probably will look strange. but a farmhouse sink in a farmhouse or traditional style home, is never going to look out of place. And just for the record, we are about to put in another bathroom and laundry, and am absolutely going for a pedestal basin. We have one in our other bathroom, and the fact that there is hardly any counter space means the family do not dump everything on top, leaving the room in a mess. we each have a drawer in a little chest, and everyone puts their stuff away after use. I love it. would never go back to a vanity.
  • Kristen Adams
    9 years ago
    My IKEA farmhouse sink drained just fine. I had no problems.
  • misspilar
    9 years ago
    Connie,

Just have your plumber shim up the sink on the end with no drain. If your sink has a centered drain, then have him shim it toward the back...water won't pool. Pilar
  • kellyslobodian
    9 years ago
    the other issue with farmhouse sinks
    Not everybody has a farmhouse.
    when Vessel sinks took off Vermont ski houses to the coast of
    NC looked like shades of Rome and I like eclectic but too trendy really look
    Dated fast and prone to mixed metaphors.Overdone.
  • PRO
    Brooke and Co Homes
    9 years ago
    Agreed--like the stainless ones in traditional kitchens in suburban houses.
  • Kristen Adams
    9 years ago
    Farmhouse sinks are trendy, but only in the way that hardwood floors are trendy. A style is always a trend before it becomes classic. Also, farmhouse sinks have been around forever. The embracing of the farmhouse style is just a symptom of our fast paced society, desperate for the "good old days." And that is how classics are made.
  • onthecoast1
    9 years ago
    I think the front is very unattractive, and I don't want my kitchen sink deeper than 9" or else it's too deep to work in comfortably. I also need 2 sides to my sink where a lot of farmhouse sinks are just 1 basin tubs.
  • pbboud
    9 years ago
    Our stainless farmhouse sink has 2 negatives. 1st, water does not drain well and 2nd anyone wearing a belt or metal pants' button runs risk of scratching front apron panel of the sink. I doubt I'd do it again.
  • kellyslobodian
    9 years ago
    Another aspect of this is today,with trends in popular decorating one person sees and loves farmhouse sinks andby the time Lowes,Depot,Ikea.Wayfair Joss and Main all start to sell trends e xplode.....like ready made granite Forbathrooms.Real granite but overused,I think it is like baby names getabookof top ten mostpopular and choose not to nameyourchild any of them.Great names true but hard ink garden tobe one of five.....
  • 17woodlawn
    9 years ago
    Hi. We call them Belfast sinks on this side of the pond, I've mine for 7 yrs when we renovated the kitchen it was one of my must haves. Ok I've broken many glasses etc in it, but its beautiful!
  • PRO
    Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Have not read all the comments, but when purchasing for my own home, or working with clients, I research the depth of the sink and base it on the height of the user. Consider that if you use a 1.5" counter depth (typical butcher block or granite), and you choose a sink that is 9" deep, when you under mount it, the total depth will be 10.5". So, if you are short, or shall I say height challenged (:) ), take that into consideration. I have had a clay fired single bowl farmhouse sink in my personal home since 2008; I love the look, but will go stainless next time. I have to be careful with it and that aggravates me.

As for single bowl vs. double, I definitely prefer single, the larger the better. When researching, make sure you check to see where the drain is. I prefer them to be offset to the right or left, which means you take up less space under the sink, and they drain better. Some of them come with the drain in the middle/rear; these are desirable if other aspects of that particular sink suits you, but the left or right drains are the best, in my opinion.
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    I never thought about the drain affecting where the pipes will be. What an excellent insight. Thank you!
  • henkjo
    9 years ago
    We've had our farmhouse sink for over 10 years - we keep a Japanese plastic tub in the cupboard below to insert in the sink when washing up - stops saucepan scratches and good for hand washing delicate stuff that can't go in the dishwasher. It my be inelegant but it works just fine. Useful too for ice bucket challenges.
  • PRO
    Dan Kitchens Australia
    9 years ago
    It's certainly true about draining and marking for most farmhouse sinks, but people do not buy them to be practical - it's more about the look.
  • jeffarose
    8 years ago
    Can anyone tell me what I do with the washed dishes, with no draining board.... I'm dreaming if I think that a teenager will stand there with a tea towel waiting for each pot to be cleaned so that it can be dried and put away, with out delay. Or I'm thinking that I could wash the dishes with a tea towel over my shoulder ( turn into my mother) so I can dry as I go...love the look but don't know how it would create that relaxed feeling that a country kitchen should have.
  • jeffarose
    8 years ago
    Can anyone tell me what I do with the washed dishes, with no draining board.... I'm dreaming if I think that a teenager will stand there with a tea towel waiting for each pot to be cleaned so that it can be dried and put away, with out delay. Or I'm thinking that I could wash the dishes with a tea towel over my shoulder ( turn into my mother) so I can dry as I go...love the look but don't know how it would create that relaxed feeling that a country kitchen should have.
  • jeffarose
    8 years ago
  • jeffarose
    8 years ago
  • jeffarose
    8 years ago
  • jeffarose
    8 years ago
  • Connie
    8 years ago

I wash in one side, and have a dish drainer in the other, which washed dishes sit in. I have a spray function on my taps, so I give a quick squirt with rinsing water if necessary.

• winkoo
    8 years ago

homemeadowshoney I am on my second new Kohler sink. (not by choice) The salesman told me when the second was purchased not to ever use bleach since it hazes the finish. I have used their pricey cleaner, soft scrub or baking soda but both sinks have been a huge disappointment. The finish is so fragile I bought the wire liners for it but they are a pain.

• PRO
    Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
    8 years ago

Jeffarose: put them in the DW to drain, or to be rinsed on short cycle.

• primovar
    8 years ago

Jeffarose, stash pots and pans in a big basin - I use a stainless steel one. Accordion pleat a tea towel and upend cups and other breakables on it. The pleats allow air circulation. Every thing air dries and needs a quick wipe down before putting away

• marcie rich
    8 years ago
    I love my fire clay double sink!! and it's not too low because I built my kitchen with extra tall counters. even my biggest pieces fit in there, wouldn't trade it for anything!
  • Barbara Hill
    8 years ago
    Libbie Burling, I hope you get this message! Your ss farmhouse sink is exactly what I want. Are you in Australia? What brand is your sink and where did you buy it. Thanks!
  • David Schaefer
    8 years ago

Is there a problem with farmhouse sinks, getting chipped or dinged up from belt buckles and such from sanding and working at the sink?

• marcie rich
    8 years ago

I have had my sink for going on a year now. I haven't had any problems at all and believe me there have been things dropped and banged on it big time!

• Sharen Stutenroth
    7 years ago

I love my new Farmhouse Sink! It's from Kohler, the Whitehaven collection. I have a tradional kitchen so just about any style sink would do except for a stainless apron would be too sleek. What I like is the large size where everything fits, large pots and bowls, cookie sheets. But I think every person does their clean-up differently. There are so many to chose from, single or double bowls, 40/60, disposals in a center bowl. Glazed, stainless steal, fireclay. I don't think they are trendy at all. What is trendy in a kitchen is that pencil tile backsplash, the color grey, brown kitchens. Anything that dates when you had your kitchen built or remodeled. You want your kitchen to be timeless and cohesive. And if your kitchen or house has a country or tradional look and you like them, go for it. Or if you have a contemporary or modern kitchen you can go with a stainless steel apron front sink. Whatever it is do your research, ask your family and friends. For me I went with a timeless look of tradional white kitchen and a Farmhouse Sink!

• peaceposter
    5 years ago

I have a half sink as well as a full sized sink in my kitchen but certainly NOT a farmhouse one! I am much more concerned about the amount of water wasted than looking trendy! I mainly use my dishwasher but can back up with a small half bucket sized wash. Soaking clothes is for the washing machine or laundry tub! And even then I most often use a bucket!

• ladyobyrne
    5 years ago
    Anyone who cooks a lot or cans veggies, fruit loves a farm sink. It’s actually big enough to get those big pots in to clean. Plus great for big pasta pots too. I have a rubber tub that I slip into mine to put soapy water in for day to day dishes so I’m not wasting water. But then I have the options of all the room for big pots too. Can’t imagine a home without a farm sink. Oh, great for bathing babies, animals too.
  • ladyobyrne
    5 years ago
    Ive had our copper farmhouse and veggie sink for over 10 years. No damage to either one. We’ve had plenty of dishes and glasses dropped in them. Due to them being metal which gives, nothing has been broken. You can clean the copper sinks with Bar Keeper (same stuff they use in bars and restaurants) or lemon juice. Both have worked for us. And it’s true that copper sinks are the best on bacteria in a sink. I’ve noticed lots of comments about wasted water. Think outside the box people and put a rubber tub in the sink for those day to day dishes that can’t go in the dishwasher.
  • dressmyhouse
    5 years ago

i don't like them at all, I think they look quite ugly and ridiculously large. No drainage, only one large sink rather than 2 smaller ones for rinsing is impractical, and what about the waste of water?

• calyadwa
    5 years ago

I have two stainless kitchen sinks, heavy, deep and oval, no drainer, and have had them for twenty years. The lack of drainer is a problem, but recently we have been renovating another house and after looking around I am amazed at the number of stainless steel sinks that are shallow and lightweight. Most of them are awful, but priced at around $200-$400. (I was checking at Bunnings). Just incidentally, up on a high shelf there was a deep double stainless, oblong sinks, which would be even better, to my mind, than my old home sinks, but the price was a lot higher than the run of the mill. The depth of the sink is important because big pans and messy bowls are what I usually wash up by hand. I wouldn't go for a porcelain farmhouse sink because I dont need any extra care in a sink, I need a tough work-horse and the budget wouldn't stretch to one. I am also amazed at the number of replies to this Houzz poll. A kitchen sink is obviously a serious item to a lot of people!

• Carol Gunn
    5 years ago

I don't like the look of the farmhouse/butler sink, they don't seem practical to me. I like something that functions well and is easy to keep clean. We have just ordered a new kitchen our current house and have opted for a stainless steel with two bowls - one is rectangular and one is square with the additional area for installing a mixer - YAY easy to clean and don't have to have a hole in the stone benchtop. ALso most ranges have a choice of weights of stainless steel so you don't have to have a flimsy one!

• Caroline Wilson
    5 years ago

I have a square bathroom sink which does the exact same thing! Bad choice...

• PRO
    Michael Bell Architects Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

I think if the sink looks like it may have been there for many years it will work. Our client loves her Belfast sink for Wagga farmhouse.

Click here to see the full houzz tour

• Brian Claxton
    3 years ago

We have four farmhouse style sinks in two different houses, and all present the same problem. It doesn't have anything to do with the material as two sinks are concrete, one stainless steel, and one composite stone. With the two kitchen sinks it's very frustrating spraying out the food particles from corner to corner. Food particles go from one side to the other, and it's very difficult to corral them to the drain. The two concrete bathroom sinks don't have enough slope, so when shaving and brushing teeth, the water and material flow to the opposite side of the sink. It's annoying to wash a 3' wide sink every time it's used. And gross if the sink isn't cleaned from side to side after every use. As a compromise, we're installing a farmhouse concrete bathroom sink with two drains and more slope. As I evaluate many things in life, a, farmhouse sink is a solutions looking for problem.

• trimbo1979
    3 years ago

I haven’t had any drainage problems with my sink and I keep it spotlessly clean by using barkeepers friend powder.

• Kristin Renauld
    3 years ago

Only three weeks in my new kitchen and I don’t like my sink because it’s causing terrible back strain! I’m not sure how I missed hearing about this! But it sticks up 2 1/2 inches therefore you have to bend over in a very bad posture to get dishes done! Don’t do it!

• Kristin Renauld
    3 years ago

*sticks out I mean

• Kristin Renauld
    3 years ago

Love the look but not the strain !

• mark clayer
    3 years ago

Bought one from Schots including plug and waste. Looks great but the plug leaks. Contacted Schots and apparently it's a special "design feature" to stop the sink overflowing.

• PRO
    Dan Kitchens Australia
    3 years ago

I've never heard of that feature before but it may be a necessary requirement now. Most modern sinks have an overflow hole in case of leaks, where as many fireclay sinks still don't have this feature.