Houzz Logo Print
missmetis

Not sure what colour cushions will suit my brown leather lounge

missmetis
9 years ago
I have a very neutral colour scheme in my living room. Beige cabinetry, chocolate leather lounge. My room is in desperate need of colour and I'm struggling to find cushions and accessories to suit the space. I think the leather lounge is too dark for the space, however I am not in a position to change it at the moment. Can you make some suggestions as to good colour to incorporate? I like teal blues and greens. I have two small children so it needs to be kid friendly but still modern. I see all these pics with great colour accessories but I'm struggling to make this room work!

Comments (92)

• mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Hi missmetis,
    Just touching base with you, how popular you have been :)
    Loving your work.
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    lol MLDesign...im not popular...these damn brown couches are! they are causing design dilemmas across the globe!
  • Related Discussions

What colour walls for a peachy pumpkin lounge suite small dark room

Q

Comments (13)
    I think the golds in your frames and other wall hanging would go very nicely with the red JudyG posted. You might start with just a couple of walls as it's going to be quite dark. I painted part of my bedroom a similar color--it was the color of canned chili, and my husband thought it was too dark so I changed it. I think your furniture would look wonderful with that. And with paint color, I told my husband that I'm not done with the bedroom until I say 'I LOVE IT!' You should do the same--you want to love looking at your living room.
    ...See More

Dark brown leather lounge

Q

Comments (5)
    Bright walls don't suit brown leather couches or bright colours If you want bright colours you need a new modern style couch If you Keep your brown couches Replace your purple curtains with either cream or black curtains Buy a rug either cream or silvery/misty grey White long coffee table oval shape with marble or glass top or all glossy white put plantation shutters in white or the same color as your floorboards
    ...See More

Colour for new lounge suite? Please help!

Q

Comments (7)
    I would suggest that you have a serious think about what you use that area for the most. Is it sitting in front of the fire, watching the TV for hours on end, or sitting chatting to friends and family??? Depending on what you do the most will help you decide on the style. I think the graphite colour would bring out the colour of the stones in the fireplace surround. Do you think all the cushions and rolled backs on your white lounge in addition to the white and cream together is putting you off too? Maybe a low backed lounge would be better, if you are just chilling in that area. You have plenty of light coming into the room, so do not worry about using darker lounge colour, although I think the black would be too much. My husband and I must have sat on every available lounge in Brisbane before we decided on one that felt comfortable. It took us a while, but got there in the end. Cheers, loken.
    ...See More

Which sofa colour suits my carpet.

Q

Comments (11)
    Hello, I would recommend these sofas from our current collection. They would all be good neutrals that don’t fight the darker carpet, and can be styled up by cushions. Also, we can scotchguard for you to make sure they don’t stain! We also have a 10% discount for our Houzz customers at the moment- use the code CQ4W1D4140.
    ...See More
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Welcome to the Discussion mcopping67. As you can see the dilemma with brown couches is universal. Hopefully you can get some good ideas and some of the experts on the page can give you some great guidance as they have with me :) Do you have a modern home? Do you have any other photos from a different angle to see what else you have in the room?
  • M C
    9 years ago
    Thanks for replying so quickly. My home is about 20yrs old. Not modern decor. As you can see from photos the room with the "lounge" is the tv room off the kitchen/dining. I want to integrate the decor throughout this area as well. Hoping someone can give me some ideas.
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    mldesign0401 and Twinkle and Whistle can you offer some professional insights for mcopping67? As we can all see, brown couches are proving popular and troublesome!! :)

Mcopping67 its fun to be a bit adventurous and mix colour and textures. I too am guilty of being a bit too 'matchy matchy' but I've started to mix things up and am loving the results.I recently stumbled on this page which has a great video tip illustrating good techniques on styling your couch that you might like:
    http://theinteriorsaddict.com/how-to-style-cushions-on-your-sofa

With regards to your couch, is that the best placement in your room? I'm only asking as it looks like its obstructing some of the window? I've gone for teals/greens/blues but as you can see above cream in different textures can make a good impact too :)
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    9 years ago
    @Violeteve: Well done on the changes made so far!!! You don't have to use the picture railing if you don't want to. Its primary purpose is indeed to hang artwork but it also creates a line on your wall that helps balance out the height of your rooms, so even if you don't use it, it contributes to the overall harmony of your decor. I hope this makes sense :)
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    9 years ago
    @mcopping67: Thank you or sharing more pics. It helps having a better idea of the overall look/feel of your home.

Quick questions:
    - Are you open to paint your walls another colour or not?
    - The two pics of the lounge seems to have been taken during the day and the one of your dining/kitchen seems to have been taken at night. Is this correct or is the kitchen/dining area this dark?
    - On my monitor, the walls in the kitchen/dining look different than the ones in the lounge (they seem greener). Are they the same?

Before addressing the colours to use in your room, as missmetis pointed, placement needs to be improved. Your couch is currently obstructing the windows. It may not impact much on the light coming into your room, but it does impact on the flow, making the room look cluttered (while clearly, it is not!) If you're stuck with the placement, you can still move your couch forward a bit so it doesn't rest against the wall. You want your walls and your windows to be able to "breathe".

Your lounge doesn't look large or bright and light. Whatever you do, this will never change. In decoration, whenever you cannot change something, you have to embrace it! In your case, this means focusing on the "cozy" factor of your lounge.

How to do this? If you were to repaint your walls, go for a soft, but darker colour than builder beige: taupe (it's a tone between brown and grey) or greige (a mix of grey and beige) would work great. It doesn't have to be very dark, since the limited natural light coming into your room will make everything look darker anyway.

Consider changing your window treatments too. Replacing blinds with curtains would definitely help. No pelmets please: it would age the room and also make it look smaller and more cluttered. If you want to keep the blinds for filtering the light, you can still add curtains. When open, they will rest on each side of the windows, visually framing them and adding softness and texture. Opt for a nice, soft but heavy fabric: thick cotton or linen or even a soft velvet would be fine. Nothing shimmering though! Keep it simple. Same with pattern: none is needed on the curtains. They are not supposed to be a stand out in the room; they are just tools to soften up the room.

Add a rug. Go for either a simple, cream one or, if you dare, choose a much brighter one with a bold pattern: this will then become the focal point of your room. Something like this would work well:
    tribal familyroom · More Info
    You don't have to go for such bold pattern, but this gives you an idea of how well it can work. If you go for a bold rug though, try to keep the other elements simple and mostly plain.

I would also move the ottoman to another room, if you can and add either a coffee table or another ottoman but in a lighter, softer colour. By keeping your brown ottoman in your small room, I'm afraid they will be just too much brown. Alternatively, keep the brown ottoman but put a couple of large light-coloured trays on it, to host your books, remotes, a vase, etc AND to hide the top and make the ottoman look not as dark.

Add cushions. Don't go for matchy-matchy or it will all look boring, but be consistent. If you are not too sure how to mix patterns and colours, don't panic. It's a big trend being very ecclectic but it doesn't work for everyone. So, if you go for a simple, cream rug, go for cushions that are a bit more striking. As an example, you can mix orange, off-white and black (or dark brown or dark grey) - just like the Houzz picture I've attached above. Use a mix of plain and patterned cushions and go for something not too crazy. The off-white can be used widely and is there to balance out the overall look. The black or dark brown or dark grey are to be used sparsely, just to add a bit of structure. If you go for a brightly coloured rug with a big bold pattern, your cushion arrangement can be much simpler: think a mix of pastels (grey/blue, pale yellow and light coral would look great together) with no pattern or a minimal one. You can play with different fabric too, but focus on thick, natural fibres (or at least, natural looking), like cotton and linen. Fur, chenille, silk, etc would age the room.

Last little thing, think about your lighting. Not sure what your overhead lighting is like, but you might want to replace it with a drum shade (even a coloured one, like on the picture). I would also recommend to replace the small table lamp currently on the tv unit, with a floor lamp, to fill up that blank corner (which also happens to be one of the focal point of your room) between the large window and the tv unit.

Now, how to incorporate your lounge decor into your kitchen/dining area? Whatever colour scheme or pattern you use in your lounge, you can extend to your kitchen/dining, by using it in small touches. As an example, if you go for a bold rug, you can use a similar pattern on chair cushions. You can also add a table runner, a large round tray in similar colours (or even off white) onto which you can put a few decorative elements that carry through the same colour scheme, etc. The idea is to remain consistent. Another thing you might want to consider at some point is to replace your dining chairs. Go for more contemporary white ones (but avoid stainless steel legs - too cold for your home!) for a fresher, more modern look, that will also make your kitchen/dining look less matchy-matchy, but still very much balanced and harmonious. You can also repaint your bar stools in a similar colour to the ones used in your lounge or having them reupholstered with a funkier fabric that will tie them in with the lounge decor. One last thing to consider with your kitchen, is painting the wood trim white or off-white (so it matches the cabinets). This would definitely help bring your kitchen out of the 80s area and make it look much fresher and brighter,

I hope all of this helps! Let us know how you go! :)
  • kate123letmesee
    9 years ago
    I personally think your room would look great with some splashes of orange! a couple of different textures and shades of orange and maybe an orange coloured vase over near your tv.. maybe even add an ottoman with a crazy bright colour. Also your rug is very small for that huge area.. I've got the same problem in our new home, very similar colours all beige and browns.. I've also found you can easily add flowers with shades of pink to brighten spaces! first photo is mine, all the rest ideas off the net!
  • Sian Sampey
    9 years ago
    I think this discussion right here highlights a need for more stories on dark leather couches!! Lol
    A few of you should contribute!!
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Kate ive gone with blues and greens but i love the orange splashes too! great pics thank you :) i have big open windows/doors that lead out to my alfresco. it will have a tropical vibe and the blues/greens will follow through.

Twinkle...omg love your pic with the space you have created. just gorgeous. i think i need your services!
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sian i couldnt agree more. brown couches need a whole section dedicated to them. everyone seems to buy them yet we are confused when accessorising lol
  • Sian Sampey
    9 years ago
    I've got a black leather lounge & it's the same thing!! Lol
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yep Sian i think dark couches in general!! :)
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    9 years ago
    Thank you @missmetis. I do provide online advice as part of my services ;)
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i know @twinkleandwhistle and ill be in touch very soon. have a dining room to work on and i need your super styling and finesse!
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    9 years ago
    That sounds exciting, @missmetis! Feel free to contact me when you are ready. Thank you :)
  • MsS
    9 years ago
    I too have the brown leather sofa dilemma. I would love to modernise this room a bit as it is a bit too matchy for me. Any suggestions on colours? I've been thinking of a textured wallpaper behind the TV to mix it up a bit. Any thoughts appreciated.
    missmetis thanked MsS
  • Tilly
    9 years ago
    Teals blue and greens work well with orange. Maybe go to a shop like freedom, take your photo and play around with there cushions. I'd go with pattern and a eclectic mix. The freedom staff would definitely help you. Even if you don't buy them there, you'll get some great ideas.
  • silvana_acevska
    9 years ago
    Sell your couch on eBay bad choice or change your rug to a silvery spaghetti threads fluffy type
    change your rug or couch
    Change your timber look high chair to white in the kitchen too it's too matchy matchy
    Your house it beautiful but doesn't feeling cosy feels clinical and cold
    Buy AQUA arm chairs and a free standing Lamp in the corner and two circle coffee stables next to each other you know that new look it's also safe for your little kids they won't hurt themselves as there is no corners if they trip
  • silvana_acevska
    9 years ago
    Just looked at the improvements the couches are the issue they don't have a luxury feeling to them they to small for your space too they make your beautiful brand new home look cheap they're aren't if quality you can tell from a mile when buying cheap couches with buttons makes your house loose the lux feeling
    Sell them and get new couches
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Silvana...i have made significant changes since my original post and still more changes to come. I first moved into our new home 8 months pregnant and did not have much furniture or decor when i posted original pics, hence clinical look.Admittedly the couch was not a great choice but ive learnt to work with it. Its easy to say get rid of it...but sometimes finances do not allow us to discard furniture so easily and we need to find solutions to solve our design dilemmas! As you can see from the long post im not alone in my quest to fix a dark couch problem! Thanks for your honest feedback...my couches arent as cheap as nasty as they appear lol but i agree they are a poor colour choice. I actually love all the changes that ive made to date and thankful for all the feedback and opinions. Beautiful design and creating a cosy home takes time and perserverance and quite often a few mistakes along the way :)
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    9 years ago
    It's the mistakes and the quirks that make a house a home. Just like it's the mistakes and the quirks that make someone an interesting person. Your couches are not ideal (as you know), but there are always ways to improve a space without getting rid of everything. Furniture placement, accessories, rugs at the right scale, etc. sometimes matter more than the actual furniture. Kuddos to you, missmetis, for listening to everyone's advice and for implementing what felt right to you and your home (and what fit in your budget!)
    missmetis thanked Twinkle and Whistle
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Twinkle and Whistle... and thank you to all of you that have contributed to this post. All feedback is always appreciated. Others have shared their photos and design dilemmas too and I hope that you have all gotten something useful from the comments and responses. I have to say, I'm not too keen to buy a dark couch again and for the record Silvana, there are no buttons on my couch :) but I do understand where you are coming from, so thank you ....I do love that there is a community here that can share their ideas! :) Thanks all. Happy designing and remember mistakes are part of the process. If all else fails, do what I do - buy more cushions! xx
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    MsS - I saw your recent photo. AS I'm not a design expert I won't advise too much on colours but I will say that tying in blues/greens worked for my space. Ive gotten lots of great feedback on this post. I think whatever colour you decide to work with (and I would suggest picking a colour you love) tie it in with accessories so that you create a nice space that is well connected and flows. Whilst I love blue/greens with brown I saw a gorgeous photo posted above by kate123letmesee with orange accents that looked beautiful also. Perhaps try different colour combos and see what works well (most stores like Adairs and Freedom) are happy to accept returns. happy styling :)
  • clikmania
    9 years ago
    I'm not an expert at all but I really think the one thing most of these spaces are missing are large colourful contemporary abstract art pieces on the wall!
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes agree!!! Beautiful art makes a room! But finding the right art can be such a challenge.
  • karenleonn
    9 years ago
    Metalics work well and would brighten it up as well
    missmetis thanked karenleonn
  • missmetis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Karenleonn.... yes! Ive added a round metallic coffee table and put books, wooden objects on it to tie in the room. Ive also changed cushions. Am waiting to paint tv wall and will tgen post new and improved pics
  • Bridget Walker
    8 years ago

Hi
    , I am having the same brown couch dilemma. I bought cushions on the weekend to
    brighten up the space and I’m not sure about the combinations I have chosen.
    The lady at the shop said I could change the cushions if I’m not happy. Does
    anyone have any comments on the combination (good or bad) or any suggestions on
    what to change them to? Any other suggestions on the room are also welcome :) The blinds to the right are white, they are not easy to see in the photo.

• Eliza H
    8 years ago
    This truly is a worldwide problem. Could I get your advice from Australia?

The first photo shows the rough layout... I am looking to purchase some cushions to go with the brown leather couch.

The next couple of photos are some mood boards I've put together... I am just so unsure of which direction to go (and it's actually pretty expensive to buy cushions)

I like the idea of African mud cloth or Turkish kilim (first two photos)... But not sure if it's too bland...

Other option is go a bit moe trendy and bright... The last two photos)..

Anyone got any advice or other recommendations? I also will probably need to get a rug at some point.
  • Eliza H
    8 years ago
    If it helps - here are a couple of photos of spaces I love....
  • Eliza H
    8 years ago
    Ps @Bridget Bernon I like the cushions you chose. Love the addition of the purple
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago

Beautiful couch, @eliza_aus! (and cute dining nook too - love your Bentwood chairs and the gorgeous artwork) The tan colour of your couch is lovely and less "limiting" than a darker brown. Your three moodboards are great, and any combination could work, really. It comes down to what you really like, as well as the overall look and feel of your home throughout. Keep in mind too, that you don't necessarily have to opt for one style over another. A bit of mix-and-match would actually work well in your space. If you crave colour, by any mean, go for it, but if you fear that the two first styles would be too bland, you can also inject stronger pattern (on the future rug, as an example) to bring a certain dynamic to the space. I'll try to put a little something together for you.

• PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago

What about something like this? Lots of natural texture, some bold patterns (still with a bit of a rustic vibe), a large artwork that brings in a bit of colour, a plant for some "life"... As you have lots of warm tones already (the timber floor and furniture, the tan leather), I mixed an earthy palette with some cooler colours (emerald green, blue, etc.). The overall result is still harmonious though, but has the eclectic style you seem to like (from the photos you've shared) What do you think?

• Eliza H
    8 years ago
    Ooh I love the look of that. Thanks nelly! Where are the cushions from? And I am definitely going to go with the plant idea -- very cool!
  • Tilly
    8 years ago
    Marble based Arco lamp in the corner and art work on the other side of the window.
    Choose cushions from the colour of the art work.
    You have created a good neutral base, one just add some colour.
  • blufitch
    8 years ago
    You've made my day ladies - I thought I was all alone with brown couch buyers regret! The advice given on this forum is fantastic, and I've definitely picked up a few tips. I have double regret as at the time I thought a modular was the way to go, now I hate it even more because I feel I'm so restricted with what I can do with it. Plus I'm not overly confident with my styling. I also regret the yellow canvas as I feel it also restricts me! Can anyone recommend what I could do here to style my area better. I think my style is a bit beachy, contemporary, country?
  • Eliza H
    8 years ago
    I'm not design expert but I reckon your space looks great @blufitch I love the yellow!
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago

Hi blufitch,

Your space (and your styling!) is not bad at all! Here is a few changes for you to consider:

1. Move you yellow artwork to other wall (above couch). This way, it will be more visible from the rest of the living space, and it will also get more natural light.

2. Replace your coffee table with a round shape one. There are a little too many "angles" to your room, you need to soften it up a bit with a few curves. The coffee table is a great way to start (and no more risk to bump or scratch your leg on the corner of a rectangular one :) )

3. Spray paint your aircon vent. I know it's a detail but it shows as being very yellowish and/or dated. Spray paint it white or replace it, if you prefer. He will then be much less noticeable.

4. Add another bookshelf next to the existing one (if possible) There is a little too much vacant space on that wall, and all the various pieces look tiny (even if they are not) and out of scale. At the bottom of your bookshelves, place some bigger items, like a couple of rattan boxes or baskets. This will give a bit of "anchoring" to the bookshelves, without making it look cluttered. Don't hesitate to add books, vases or ceramics of different heights and sizes, or even plants to your shelves. If another, similar bookshelf is not an option, move your existing one to the left by 20cm or so, and add a large potted plant at its right. You can even put a tall mirror (like a tall Ikea "Stave" one) or a round mirror, to the right of the bookshelf, and have a tall plant in front of it. It would be in line with your style, will add some greenery and "life" to your space, while the mirror will give a bit of depth to the room.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck, and have fun!

• PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago

Glad you like it, @eliza_aus!

The black and white cushions are from Ikea 9http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/90246432/)

The kilim ones, unfortunately, were just the fruits of a quick google search, that didn't give any references. Pretty much any kilim with a strong pattern and bold colours that contrast with your tan couch (so strong, cool hues) would work.

All the best!

• blufitch
    8 years ago
    Thank you eliza_aus and Nelly!
    Nelly thank you so much for your advice. I can see what you are saying in regards to all comments. The off colour aircon vents in our living area had been annoying me but I hadn't thought of spray painting them, what a great idea thank you - I'll get on to that this week. Agree the wall with TV on it was too bare and my bookshelf styling lacked a bit of soul. Getting another bookshelf isn't really an option, but I have made the other changes you suggested, does this look ok? The potted plant I stole from another room in the house, is it tall enough? Our kitchen splash back is mirrored and directly opposite the bookshelf/plant. Worried there may be too many mirrors if I put one above the plant? I'm not able to hang the print on the other wall at this stage, so have just taken a pic with it propped up on the couch. I do like it but wonder if this makes the other wall too bare? When people walk into the living room from the front of the house they will see the blank wall where the canvas used to be. Do you think I need something on both walls? I love your idea of a round coffee table, and had been thinking the same for a little while now, but aren't sure what type to get. White and timber, or something with a bit of metal. I've attached a few pics of ones that I like. What are your thoughts?
  • blufitch
    8 years ago
    Sorry, not sure why the pics of the house didn't show up... Here they are :-)
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago

Hi Blufitch,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The four coffee tables are lovely, but I would probably opt for one of the two top ones. That being said, check the measurements first as these round tables might be significantly larger than your existing Ikea table.

Re the potted plant, a taller one would be better, or you can put this one on a plant stand or even on a ceramic stool. But if you feel a mirror would be too much due to your mirrored splashback, leave the plant as it is and hang a framed print above the plant. It doesn't need to be big, but it's important that it s not too small so it doesn't look too "lost" on the wall. It's hard for me to judge the size from here, but a 70x40 frame might be ok.

You could have only the yellow canvas above the couch, but you would have to bring in a few more brightly-coloured cushions or throw onto the couch, to compensate for the empty wall. Alternatively, you could also hang a large mirror above the couch. If you decide to do this, I think it would be best to move the canvas back to where it was, and hang the mirror in front of the window, so it reflects the natural light around and gives more depth to the room. The large Ikea Stave mirror (in white stained oak) is very reasonably priced and would work great. Just double check it fits first (it's 70x160)!

Tell us how yo go!

All the best,

Nelly / Twinkle and Whistle

• Sharon Naughton
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Megan

I really want a change to my living area but need to keep leather sofas as unable to afford new ones , I'm finding my room is looking really drab and needs colour , can you help me with some ideas on colour etc

Thank you

• Sharon Naughton
    8 years ago

• Sharon Naughton
    8 years ago

• User
    8 years ago

Is it me you're looking for? Must see, short

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9UiUsA_4fC0

• Adriana Nascimento
    8 years ago
    So.... We bought a big black couch.
    Any comments on how I could improve the look of the space?
    Thanks
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    8 years ago
    Everything goes with brown. It just depends on the tone.