Houzz Logo Print
shinymew

Bedroom blind selection - please help :(

Luke
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Summary version: This Roman Blind is begging to be completely replaced with something that echoes or complements the context of the traditional country, semi-rural Australian home within which the bedroom sits (therefore, I was thinking traditional would be the way to go). I am not sure whether I should match the colour of the new blinds to the cream walls, white/light cream roof or strong cream/yellow archetraves, or even something which has a pattern using all those colours. Not to mention the myriad textures, fittings and extras blinds come with these days.

In-detail version: The following post details the current state of my bedroom, the architectural style of the home within which it lies and photos of bedrooms which both look somewhat similar to mine and which I like the design of, and finally the issues I am having.

My home I would describe as traditional country Australian, which usually has subtle elements inspired by Federation and Victorian designs it seems. It is circa-2000 built with sandstone and dark green tin roofing, with a generous verandah and sits on acreage.
The following photos indicate the overall feel for the bedroom which I am after:

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Amagansett Beach Retreat · More Info

Charles River Country House · More Info

The primary thing I want to do is change the blinds. As you can see, the current ones were installed when I was a child and 'lightened' after an attempt to colour them white with fabric paint which I belatedly realised does not work with blinds like it does with armchairs and smaller furniture. I contemplated a light blue or olive colour, but realised after comparing photos with curtains/blinds in those colours that, for some reason, some made the room look really bland whereas others looked great...

This, for whatever reason, to me, looks bland:
Classic on the Green · More Info

This somewhat greener hue, conversely, looks incredible in my opinion:
J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info

So I resolved that the safest method is to go with a simple white. I wasn’t sure what shade to go however. The walls I’d describe as light cream, the skirting boards and archetraves as yellow-cream and the roof as very light cream (though in these photos appears to misleadingly reflect lots of red pigment off the curtain). I suspect that matching it to the roof would be ideal – if I matched it to the walls it’d get lost, if I matched it to the architraves I’d feel it were too yellow. And then there are the myriad different textures and patterns one can get. Of course, all those photos I’ve provided with light curtains have white architraves, unlike mine. Your thoughts?

Comments (14)