Houzz Logo Print
roganmay

Help with design concept for a canal-side house

Roger Constable
9 years ago
We want to retire to the upper Gold Coast, Queensland. It's a great community planned around canals and golf courses. We have an 840 m2 canal block; the canal side faces NE. The block tapers considerably in width from the road side to the canal side.

We wanted a spacious, somewhat up-market, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom single level, contemporary home, designed to make the best of the sub-tropical climate, with lots of living area on the canal side. We will share it regularly with friends and family.

Here's the floorplan the designers have come up with. It ticks most of the boxes but I have this feeling that something is wrong. I can't put my finger on it and would appreciate any other insight?

The windows on the plan should be ignored. They will all be detailed later. The living areas will have lots of opening glass to access the canal views, the winter sun and provide natural ventilation. The courtyard will provide shelter from the prevailing SE and SW winds. The entry gallery will be wide and high with clerestory windows on the NW side. The study will open onto the living area and be quite small since we mostly use mobile devices and have cut down on books and paper. The laundry and storage facilities are concentrated behind the kitchen. The master and guest suites are intended to be quite luxurious. As I said, any insights would be appreciated.

Comments (10)