Houzz Logo Print
lnc74

Help transform long and dark family room

lnc74
9 years ago
I have been putting up with this space that functions as our family hub for the last 4 years, waiting for inspiration and funds to liven it up. This room adjoins the kitchen which has latte grey cabinetry and aqua glass splash back, metallic silver fridge and gas stove.The gas fireplace is brick tiled all the way to the ceiling in the middle of the room. There is no power plug at the base of the fireplace nor TV aerial so we can't place a flat screen on top of a fireplace. The current sofa configuration draws the attention away from the fireplace. Behind the TV and computer station, there is a weight bearing wall that blocks out quite a bit of natural light from the windows. The space behind the wall to the window is narrow, not quite big enough to put our dining table there with chairs unless we opt for bench seating. Our current dark burgundy leather sofa lounge is a 2 +3+1 seater. I don't mind upgrading as the leather in the 2 seater has peeled. I need ideas on type, colour of sofa lounge that will suit this space. I have thought about grouping the sofas around fireplace but the space in front of the TV will be somewhat redundant. We have tried using different colour area rug to contrast the dark charcoal tiled floors. The floors feel cold in winter and the grout has already come off in some places. There is no underfloor heating. I don't want to paint floor tiles nor replace the flooring due to cost.

I want the house to look upmarket, but feel welcoming at the same time and have a very functional room for the entire family.

I would really appreciate advice and photos of furnishings/ floor lamps, curtains, pillows, floor rugs, wall paint. Dining suite/chair colours. Currently, the room is lit by downlight. Our upright ebony piano is on the entrance end of the room as shown on the last photo. The kids homework corner adds to the clutter feel. I also value any suggestions on the configuration of the furniture, kids corner, computer (within easy visibility), wall hangings, etc. should the window trim and frame be painted white?

Comments (6)