Houzz Logo Print
elinitha_au

New build - here goes. Kitchen help first up

elinitha_au
9 years ago
Let me put it out there. I work in IT and have zero creative bones in my body. I generally know what i like when i see it, but am really crap at putting things together.
So.. here i am.
We are at the stage of needing to lock in kitchen designs and colours.

So to start with in terms of scale - the kitchen island is 3m, the wall behind the island is approx 4m. the side wall has a glass window splashback to help with lighting.

I was thinking
Kitchen island : Double sink in the middle, dishwasher, full size bin and a bank of draws

Back wall : Fridge (French door style) on the right, the cook top in the middle, and wall mounted double ovens on the left hand side. three banks of draws under the cook top

Side wall is where i need help. ndo i have half height over head cupboards? no cupboards? shelves? do i have one full length cupcoard that i can also use a small appliance cupboard for tea coffee etc?

Any help with design would be GREATLY appreciated. Once i nut that out, ide love some idea with colour and where to put what. im thinking all white might be a bit too in your face, maybe add a bit of warmth? we are planing to have original colour polished concrete (black aggrigate)

what do you think?

Comments (27)

• elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oh and ignore the size of the table - not sure why the draftman thought we would buy a 4.5 metre table from :)
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Did i scare people off with how much i typed ? :)
  • Related Discussions

New Build Kitchen Advice/Feedback

Q

Comments (2)
    @stonesarahj, I agree with the first post but also think the darker colour could look fantastic and tie in real well with your bathroom. I wouldn't be too judgmental about smudges on a darker colour, if you think you'll like it more then go with that. Cheers, Barbara
    ...See More

Building our first home - would like feedback on the floorplan

Q

Comments (20)
    Changes cost an absolute bomb so consider your modifications carefully Joy. Looking at both plans you've not altered the design much rather you've moved rooms around whilst trying to retain the original content. Some rooms appear less usable as a result. The #2/bed/study is one, seems too small, even the guest bed seems smaller and it didn't appear large to begin with. Without room dimensions it's a bit tougher to make comments however. I wonder why you made the guest bathroom a powder room given the location is such that it won't be used as frequently as the bathroom off the main living area? Sure put the doorway into the guest room so the bathroom can service the bed/study too but don't lose the shower up there. Nothing worse for guests than having to pad through the main living area in their pj's to the shower or worse with a towel wrapped around their middles on the return trip to get dressed. It's enough to put some off their cornflakes! I'd seriously rethink some of those changes Joy they will cost you a lot with little gain methinks. I'm sorry to sour the mood I know it's an exciting time but I'd hate to see you make expensive and possibly unnecessary decisions.
    ...See More

Need help on floor color for new build

Q

Comments (21)
    Not sure how it comes up in vinyl planks but i chose spotted gum ( Quickstep Readyflor) and am thrilled with the look. The large range of colours through the floors means it suits a range of timbers and furnishing colours. Good luck with your choosing
    ...See More

New build Kitchen layout advice - Help please: )

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi Jasmine, I just want to ask you a couple of things re details in the plan an will post showing my concerns. Along the back wall, change the wall/panel on both sides of the fridge to 20, the wall would be approx 90?, this will give you an extra 70 space to play with, this would also balance the built in fridge between both sections of cabinets. As it is your designer has used the wall on the left of the fridge to line up with the wall of the proposed pantry, but I feel this isn't needed the panels will do a better job..without taking up more space and not looking so bulky. So now you will have extra to play with and could consider 900 x 2 drawers plus 900 cooker. What is the corner cabinet, it looks like having one door opening along the window wall? I have an 800 sink cabinet which has 2 x 400 doors which are perfect as they don't open out so wide into the room. would it be better to move the DW to the other side of the sink so as not to block access. 900 space at the end of the island is too tight and should be at least 1m The wall cabinets above the cooktop, are they all single cabinets?, it is more cost effective to use double, I ask this because the plan shows that two single or two double cabinets will be involved in installing the intergrated range hood.
    ...See More
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Hi elinitha, not me! :)
    Ok, it seems like you actually have planned your kitchen already. My only thought on it, is that it is far too obvious, and may lack the foresight to be a kitchen you'll love for years to come.
    Agree draws are most practical, and enclosing your cooking wall with tall cabinets is a great tip to centre your focus on the back wall, however, your focus is somewhat shared in this large space. Why create towers at each end enclosing the back wall, when you can group the tall elements on one side, and emphasize height on the other.
    My suggestion,i would do this at the end which is near the window splash back.
    Actually I would mirror the splash back at this end where cooktop would be, and this way your range hood ducting can go right up to ceiling level and ducted to external air via your floor joists.
    I would definitely put overheads above your splash back window. Intentionally they look more impressive when they are framed. And even better when the view is green and lush.
    Considering your island will be furniture in an open plan space, I would introduce timber into your joinery. It can simply be an element of design as an accent, or just in high visual impact places. Such as the bareback panel on your island, or the tall cabinets for example. This is my preference.
    I can picture your fridge on the left, the wall oven tower next with an open timber shelf above them both, creating a large rectangular box, not to the ceiling. The cabinets above your window I would also select perhaps the second cabinet or perhaps the last three to be open, with the rest with doors. This space is not needed for storage, but as an extension to the wip, it would be a great spot to utilize a bookshelf configuration.
    The bench below with undercount lights in the overhead cabinets to light up the bench at night, and also from the window outside, would be somewhere to charge your phones, sit with an iPad ordering shopping etc. A reference point for cook books or interior mags etc. Books always personalize a space, and the ability to incorporate joinery with multiple functions I to kitchens is extremely sought after in high end kitchens. Perhaps the bench below could be floating, with only cabinetry off to one side, then some designer stool under. Or again, a gorgeous timber one, with carved timber seats. Against white cabinets, timber really softens particularly gloss finish.
    I prefer satin finish on doors if you have stone Benchtops, the tactile experience is more impressive if there is a real contest between surfaces.
    You have laid out a solan which is practical and I would agree with in functionality, but as far as the wow you want, consider asymmetry. Blending the perimeter joinery with he main body of the kitchen will integrate better into your furnished interior.
    Using timber will blend in with pieces you select elsewhere in the house, and against a concrete floor. WOW,!!!!!!
    Juxtaposition of materials. Natural elements of stone, glass and timber. Are architectural basics. always impress on a large scale. A simplified palette of whites, greys and timber as the colour. Means you can introduce anything from bold or bright to natural greens or caramels into your room, tying into nature.
    Assuming this large area will filter outdoors, the transition from outside to inside if you use similar tones and materials referenced in your joinery, the overall result will have a seamless integration.
    Now, have I scared you?
    Your bench being 3000 is the maximum length you can have without a join in stone, however if you are using laminate products you would need to reduce it to avoid this.
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wholly guacamole batman. You are amazing.

I love everything you have suggested. The only thing we did envisage was the island bench being a place for us to sit around - ie no waterfall with an overhand bench on the end closest to the window splashback. This will allow for four stools to sit in an L configuration rather than four stools in a row.

So for the cooktop wall do you suggest having cupboards around the rangehood or no cupboards with mirror all the way to the ceiling?

Question re wood and please dont laugh - when we talk to joiners/kitchen people, do we ask for veneer or actual wood. Any suggesytions re tone or colour that would look good against the concrete?

We were thinking organic white for ceasarstone benchtops.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply with all of the above!
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    I'm so glad! And laughing a little.
    Perfect, your island idea is asymmetrical, and exactly what would work into this concept.
    I can see it and all the detailed are working themselves out in my mind already. Once I have a plan it starts building wit out me, I just have to look away and. Ome back later, suddenly it's all done!
    To answer your questions, no cupboards around the range hood, and yes mirror to the ceiling. It's the point of difference from the tall cabinets. Heres the showstopper....I would only have the fridge and oven units to around 2400 so the wall above them I would continue as per the mirror splash back as you wouldn't want to see a seam of mirror suddenly stop into plater, plus it will reflect the opposite outdoor area and looking at it, you will have people wonder where the wall behind the kitchen has gone.
    As for the timber, I'd suggest veneer. And mid toned timber colours, like oaks, walnuts or ironbark. There are alternatives to veneer also, laminated timber looks with real texture, available across most brands, laminex impressions, etc.
    Definately one with a feature grained characteristic, not so perfect looking. I like the visible grain, and often use this as a design feature. Ie in your case use the grain direction vertically on the tall units, and horizontal only on the island back...this way it stretches it across the room, further exaggerating the scale.
    Lastly, another idea, just came to me, see what I mean, as I'm going my brains already ahead of me. With that mirrored detail behind your range hood, the island kicker could be slightly taller at one end where a feature detail, like a slab of stone or a concealed cabinet could be, and mirror the kicker. Mirror laminate would again give the illusion your cabinetry is floating above your floor, as that vantage point would simply reflect the concrete flooring, and appear cantilevered.
    I'm going to draw this, because I don't know if you can picture it. And m enthusiastic about this.
    As for your finishes, The white stone is nice, ok. But I really think that a concrete looking island top in a stone would absolutely steal the show, and the aggregate in your floors would really sharpen this detail. Essastone has a colour called pavement which is as it sounds, a subtle aggregated pebble, looks like concrete, there are many more i know of ALS. Plenty in the right tone of grey to work for you.
    If nothing else,id urge you to consider this. Atleast order a sample to see it, once you see the softness, you'll think it's stunning I'm sure. This way an ash white cabinet colour would freshen the entire fit out, and then the vertical in the room, ie the cabinets and the walls are. White tone, while the horizontal elelmens are a grey, as in the floor and Benchtops. When you address the same 'planes' in a space with a tie in material or finish, it somehow seems effortless. It's impression is one that soothes everyone who views it, and it just works, as a result.
    elinitha_au thanked mldesign0401
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh la la. I just checked out the essa stone website and didn't see anything called pavement. I'll give them a bell tomorrow. I might need to check out laminex products to keep this stupid thing called a budget in check. Any particular laminex products you suggest?

Would love to see the drawing especially the open shelving etc you suggested. Like I was saying I'm hopeless at visualising - wish they bottled those creative genes ;)
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Look into both laminex veneers and impressions. I am from the laminex design centre. I know these products and was there for their creation. Part of the range colour selection aswell, and can vouch for their integrity. Laminex is an iconic brand, you can't go wrong with their products. I designed the images you see on laminex and essay stone brochures. I designed the essastone kitchen in 2011
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Sorry pavement is another brand. Essa has piaza, carbon, or promenade. These three are contenders, although I personally like piazza. I guess this depends what it looks like next to your floor. I'd suggest smaple sof each you order online and go from there.. Also pair it next to the cabinet white. Gather, group then eliminate.
    Exciting!
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so very much. If i scribble a drawing (and i mean scribble) on a peice of paper what i think you're talking about, are you ok with yay or naying it?
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Sure.
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Like this? The mirror sounds fab, but i also need to be practlical with keep this clean. Reaching up above and around the rangehood might be a bit of an ask. What if i kept half height cupboards and concealed the rangehood with mirror splash back underneath?
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    umm the pic didnt display like it should let me try again
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    take 2
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Not sure which elevations some of these are on. Looks good to me.
    As for the mirror, that's your call, but I have to say practically, mirror won't get dirty where you can't reach anyways. So there's nothing but a little dust to clean occasionally. Mirror is as glass th easiest most practical surface to clean. So that puzzles me.
    I don't think it is terrible with a concealed range hood at all, but your pantry would need to stay at the height of the other units. The space above is important and needs to be just as considered. Also, single panels won't extend to ceiling height anywY.
    I get to it for you and show my interpretation.
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    with some tweaks to make it yours, this could look amazing!
    I would personally like to reverse the island so the timber detail is opposite each other in the island foreground and the oven background, but that's just a detail. it depends on which ends the stools fit better to adjoining zones, but the other end is away from the pantry, so I like that better. either way its got lots of potential., I didn't bother with the island draw details as they're self explanatory. this is useful as a concept.
    what do you think?
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    ignore the grain direction, again its just a colour block. It would be vertical on the island and tall units. horizontal elsewhere. the floating thick shelf would be hand laminated, in HPL the cabinetmaker would know what this is. with the top blending into a drawer near the pantry. good stationary draw, phone point etc.
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    see below the floating cabinets on the island, id mirror this kicker to look like they actually float. the cabinets are around 250-300mm deep, touch catches so they look like panels, but are perfect wine glass storage cabinets. they also conceal the sink area. again these would be hand laminated so you get nice sharp edges like a real veneer, only laminate is far more durable in wet areas.
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    These 3d images are created in google sketch up. Hope you like them.
  • Connie
    9 years ago
    personally , I hate sinks and cooktops in the island bench. having put in a new kitchen, after 4 years we completely changed it. reasons against are: people (kids, visitors, etc) put dirty dishes down next to the sink (I think its ingrained). so even if you have a dishwasher, the island ens up being a large (3m in your case) sink drainer, of dirty dishes. which looks so messy. Also, any splash from filling the sinks, tends to spread out...which means lots of work wiping down benches, and potential wet homework, papers, etc (because everyone seems to dump everything on that central island). as for a cooktiop in the centre..similar issues with cooking stuff spreading out (if you have the space, you will uzit) ;) and also splattering, and the need for a rangehood, which clutters up the look. I prefer to have a smaller, separate sink zone, and cooking zone, and keep your island clear, for a great space to plate up, and use when you really do need lots of space to spread out, such as baking and dinner parties. whatever you decide, goodluck.
    elinitha_au thanked Connie
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    I disagree Connie, it's only messy if you are. A dishwasher makes things all to simple, or quickly wash up. Plus this raised section conceals a loaded sink, if it extends past that you really need to wash up!
    A 3000 bench is more than an average size sink, and with a butler pantry you can have a second sink for larger items, so the island doenst need to be oversized. This is simp,y an everyday prep sink, a water pot fill point. I find most people want to be included in the adjoining living space, and be apart of entertaining, rather than the hired help, away in the corner washing up. I agree with your plating up point, absolutely, but in this sized island you really can have it all.
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you see what I mean about my imagination my skills. My drawing look oh so like yours (not). I really love your idea of the island bench. Connie I've had Others warn me off a sink on the island, but to be honest I don't mind if there is a dish in the sink (not dumped everywhere - I'm a stickler) the house is to be lived in I guess. With the suggestion of the border that mldesign gave I think the problem is solved. Still leaves me with two metres give or take for plating up etc. I did consider the sink on the other wall but just didn't feel the flow.

As my pantry door and the window wall are are right angles - ie not stepped behind I was still thinking I would have a tall cupboard as per my sophisticated drawing above for small appliances and keep coffee cups etc in there. In saying that I was thinking I might swap the fridge from left to the right so the tal cupboards, pantry door and second tall cupboard are all grouped.

Love your idea re the mirrored kickers.

A big thank you for taking the time to draw these up. I will most definitely be using most of your ideas!
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also what do you think a cluster of,pendants above the island rather than the traditional three/two?
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Any creative lighting will look great. Anything other than down lights. Eeek!
    Swapping your fridge and oven to the other side makes the island detail opposite, which I like better, so go for it. Not sure what you mean about a tall cabinet? Isn't there a walk in? You know anyway, I'd say kitchen is all but done!
    Good luck, and don't forget the pictures.
  • elinitha_au
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    When it's in, pics will be up! Thanks again.
  • PRO
    ALL DESIGN CO
    9 years ago
    check out caesarstone - sleek concrete
  • PRO
    OPPEIN Group
    7 years ago

please check here, you may be interested by our kitchen design.

http://www.oppeinhome.com/product/kitchen/kitchen-abinet-designs/all-kitchens