Houzz Logo Print
jennycdrew

Tell us your worst noisy neighbour stories

Jenny Drew
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
A friend rang me in a panic this morning. She was hoping to engage me in an 8am brainstorm about whether or not she should 'cave in' and fork out for a carpet for the apartment above hers. It turns out, every morning, 6am, without fail, she gets woken up "with a start" (I quote) by the sound of a kid's toy truck rolling across the wooden floorboards. Two apologetic notes through the door soon turned into an angry email (to which the homeowners sarcastically suggested imposing a toy curfew on their 3-year-old) and now she's feeling as guilty as she is feeling at the end of her tether.

I asked the Houzz Australia team if they'd experienced anything like this and a wave of complaints fired back on everything from building works and 'amorous activity' to late-night DJ sets and an infuriating slamming door. Indeed the walls of my Art Deco building are so thin that I heard someone sneeze the other day.

What does your noisy neighbour sound like? Share your stories... and your solutions if you have them.

For my sniffly neighbour, I think a simple "Bless You" from across the walls will have to suffice.

Jenn

Robertson Close · More Info

Comments (66)

• Rose M
    8 years ago
    Not so much noise... But smoking on the balcony directly beneath ours, making our whole unit stink. We usually keep our windows open, having no insulation or air conditioning it's a must in warm weather.

Our previous, lovely quiet neighbor moved out and now I'm realizing how lucky we used to be!!
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

From our neighbouring gum trees the Koalas in the mating season are just plain scary at night! (:-) but we have lovely neighbours luckily no complaints and sympathise with those of you who do. We do however get some road noise (4 lane road behind our acre of land) which can be annoying so we play our music a little louder & turn on the water feature in the pool area to compensate.

• Related Discussions

What's the worst uninvited guest you've ever found in your house?

Q

Comments (133)
    White-tail spider in my track suit pants WHICH I WAS WEARING! I thought it was a lump of lint from the laundry, drew it out, and promptly flung it across the room once I realised... never to be seen again! How it didn't bite me and sat still to be picked up, I don't know - it must have known I wouldn't do it any harm. We lived in lots of country places, too... We were invaded by small black crickets one year, and lady bugs, another year, in your drawers, in your hair, in your pantry, in your undies... everywhere! And then the blue tongue lizard that would go in and out with our dogs via doggie door, and made itself a nest in our laundry... I gave up and left some old towels for it. Had an echidna get up into the wheel well of our car... wild brumbies in our patio... the list goes on. My husband still says that the most unwelcome visitor was his mother... I like her better than he does!
    ...See More

Worst thing about Aussie homes?

Q

Comments (121)
    You know, Alipetecampbell, I think a lot of good could be done by simply not allowing houses to be built unless they're designed by a qualified architect and signed off by a qualified engineer, and built to minimum standards that ensure proper passive climate control (insulation, glazing, orientation etc.) and social linkage issues - let's ban the food desert and the nappy valley. Developers have a vested interest in building cheap, and those rubbish houses sell because (a) there's not much else on the market and (b) superficially they look okay. You'd argue that what I'm proposing would raise housing costs, but let's stop making billionaires of developers, let's stop councils from charging silly money for planning fees (eminently doable if housing is professionally designed) and, as I have said above, use less land for more housing AND more greenspace too, and the cuts in cost these measures would create could go towards making all houses better.
    ...See More

What's the worst thing a guest has done in your home?

Q

Comments (86)
    my MIL is one one those that won't fetch anything for herself ..she expects you to get up when she gets up 5-6am and fetch her breakfast..and it's no good offering would you like some toast as she'd be like oh no I'm fine.. you need to cook breakfast and plop it in front of her.. she wouldn't let me wash her clothes so showed her how to use the machine..she hand washes them and pop them on the line right on top of my rack of dried clothes..she took my clothes down so she had room to hang hers out..and of course her dripped on mine ..?? and if she dries the dishes she must do it intentionally to annoy me as it takes me ages to find bits and pieces to my rice cooker..?? amongst other things that happened .. my MIL is hated by all of his family..because she's the second wife..his biological mum is the best MIL you can have she's kind and loving not like this one..calculating ..stabs you behind your back and the list goes on.. my husband must takes after his mum..he's kind and caring.. thank goodness she's overseas now..only lose him to get twice a year for 10 days each..
    ...See More

1960s double story in need of love

Q

Comments (15)
    this house is such a great example of it's era it would be a shame to change it too much and the dark framed original windows and doors (with horizontal divisions not colonial panes) stained or painted a similar dark colour (including black) would be excellent but only over the original dark trim and others will make better suggestions for colour schemes but if you decide to add the entertaining areas, carport and covered walkways, dark posts, fascias, decking and pathways could make a a nice contrast with the blond bricks..DIY can be a great cost saver but having recently almost completed a similar renovation and about to start on another (we're also a retired couple) i would strongly recommend that you invest in a builder to take care of the overall construction and save money with careful planning (to avoid last minute changes) demolition (NB there's probably asbestos to consider) we saved by sourcing all our own taps, tiles, sinks, doorknobs, light fittings and happily recycled many of the existing fixtures and fittings (including sections of plaster cornices and etc and you could try painting, DIY flatpac kitchen and wardrobes, and consider prioritising the work based on your personal daily comfort eg although i suggested the old sunroom is worth renovating as long as it's safe and weatherproof the upstairs doesn't really need major changes and you could concentrate on the biggest project first OR start small and work up but it's always preferable to plan the whole property to avoid duplication and have a builder quote for the whole renovation and then you can stagger costs (and stagger out of bed each day) doing work in stages...In the meantime i'm assuming that your plans are from a real estate add so your very first project would be to make a very accurate plan of what you already own so measure every wall, thickness of walls, position of windows and doors, width of stairs etc ..even a few cms can make a huge difference in your options (eg the floor of the "study nancave" is probably lower than the living room and not waterproofed so do you want/need it enough to raise the floor, step down, enter under the stairs through a secret tunnel, come in through the old garage or leave it for the the boys??) obviously i can write ad nauseum but you will need proper plans for the external structures so it would be worth investing in professional drawings for the internal work as well your pre-planning will save time for the professionals (and your money) if you're reasonably confident about what will fit the spaces and i would be happy to revise the plans if you want to message me directly with the accurate measurements
    ...See More
  • mel2517
    8 years ago

We have 3 children who are pretty outgoing and they make noise however our next door neighbour one afternoon just lashed out saying that we were an awful family too noisey, why don't you move out etc but she had been out the night before and wanted to go to bed at 5.30pm in the afternoon and she wanted it to be quiet didn't like the kids playing outside in the backyard as they have a trampoline and they play on it in the summer and she doesn't like it so I told her to move out and go somewhere there is nobody around. So she was complaining about the kids so now I want to complain about there front door well when they go in and out they have to bang it really hard and it is quite loud and you can hear it during the night when anybody comes home and it really annoying can you make a complaint regarding this noise as is it irriating. The previous neighbours were fantastic no problem with them as they had children as well.

• wuff
    8 years ago
    I really like the sound of children playing, I can't understand that normal play during the day can upset people. My 'pet' hate is incessant dog barking. Not the occasional woof but we had neighbours where the dogs seemed to never sleep barked what seemed like 24/7. They were big, rarely walked and left home alone on long weekends. Many people were distressed by the barking and the lack of care of the dogs. Thankfully their lease wasn't renewed because of all the complaints
  • User
    8 years ago

Criminal alcoholic neighbours gave us alot of grey hairs.

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    We have quiet neighbours (hope I don't regret saying this) on both sides however one has a dog that cries all day from the time they leave home for work until they get home. We talk to it over the fence to try & settle but this only works for a short time. It's a cute dog, blind and partially deaf, but oh so lonely.
  • echalmers
    8 years ago

I have terrible neighbors on both sides who make me miserable. I call the couple to my south my "Woody Allen movie" because the man never stops complaining to me about his wife and how miserable he is, while his wife once yelled at me and called me names for half an hour for planting a tree on my property where she didn't like it. Not to mention the noise from their house (attached to mine, thin walls), including screams. First neighbor to the north is a women who lets her house and yard deteriorate, but if anyone makes even a helpful comment--for instance, "did you know roofing paper is falling off the back of your roof?"--we get screamed at. Plus she has an ancient air conditioner that is so loud I can't open windows or enjoy my back yard. On the other side of her is Family from Hell, with a mother who screams incessantly at her children, screaming children, barking dog, power tools at all hours of the day and night--you name it.

Just this morning I made the huge mistake of pointing out to some workmen in my southern neighbor's yard that a Trex platform erected under an already half-dead cherry tree that is mostly in my yard would certainly kill the poor tree and that I would take it if necessary. For that comment, I got a phone call telling me what a b---- I am from the guy. I am seriously contemplating blocking my view of any neighbors with a hedge and fence and telling my southern neighbors that if they don't move that platform around the cherry tree or move the tree I'll plant something tall there that will kill the tree fast, since it only gets sun from my side.

I badly want to move but haven't got much money. Thoughts? Thanks for any comments and for reading my rant.

• User
    8 years ago

I would save up a deposit and move. Life is too short.

• echalmers
    8 years ago

Thank you. I am trying to figure out how to get out of here.

• User
    8 years ago

I've been in a bad situation like that, it helps when you know you're leaving, even if it takes awhile.

• floor_caitlyn
    8 years ago
    That would look so cool in my house
  • User
    8 years ago

What would?

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago

If you live near a rental you can complain to the Agent or find out who the owner is and write to them...better tp put everything in writing and if things get bad report to the police. I made a practise of writing so there was a record of all my complaints...and I gave a copy to the police. Often the police have a record of prior complaints about certain individuals. I've endured all sorts of bad neighbours and have, I admit, resorted to some rather drastic remedies when sensible approaches were totally impractical. One lot were a few singles all bunking in together...all on the dole. They'd party all night. I recorded all their noise and bad language and fights and would play it back to them during the day through speakers hanging in the hedge along the dividing fence...all strategically placed...especially when they wanted to sleep during the day...it was effective and they were too hung over to work out what was happening. The abuse they were hearing was of their own making. They could not complain about it. Eventually the other neighbours and I had a meeting, formed Neighbourhood Watch, lodged a collective complaint with the Council and the Police...and shoetly afterwards the "noisies" were asked to leave. Its a bit more difficult if the noisies own their house but Neighbourhood Watch works. Make sure to involve those bad neighbours in the meetings so they feel that its not about them and that they can complain about others too,,,sort of "brings it home" to them. Many noisemongers are not very bright and have no clue about consideration for others. Everyone, by law, is entitled to "the peaceful enjoyment of their home". Obtain a copy of your local Council's by laws about noise and what times the noise must stop in a residential area. Always pays to know the law so you can avail youself of its protective clauses. Where I live, nobody is allowed to make noise before 7.30a.m and it must cease at 9.30-.p.m. This can be brought to bear on noisy, inconsiderate neighbours. Main thing, though, put all complaints in writing and document times and dates....saves nasty arguments.

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@ echalmers...the above advice worked for me. I would never engage people like that in conversation about a problem...put it in writing and provide copies to the authorities mentioned...thete will soon be a wad of complaints against those people and these will have to be addressed.

Untidy, overgrown yards that may harbour vermin are things you can report to your local Council.

If you own or are a long term renter and may plant or build a screen or a hedge...its a good remedy, especially if you erect a tall trellis to block both the noise and the view and plant fast growing climbers or attach a non see-through light brush or bamboo screen. Nobody can object to your "garden beautifications"...that also have another purpose . "Out of sight out of mind" and reclaiming one's own privacy..and even just the act of putting up a barrier and creating a pleasant addition to your garden inside the boundary line on your property will be satisfying for you and give you a sense of being protected. Outdoor lighting illiminating your garden and perimiter is also both a pleasant addition to a garden and acts as a deterrent at night. Solar garden ornaments show neighbours you are a pleasant person and this will act in your favour should arguments errupt. If that cherry tree arrangement is an eyesore and more...if it threatens to fall and damage anything on your side...say the fence or a car port or an outbuilding, you could write to the neighbour stating politely that it poses a danger to your property and ask them to remove it. If nothing happens then write to the Council about 10 days later and enclose a copy of the letter you sent to your neighbour. Let the authorities deal with it all and deal your unpleasant neighbour. Need to go about these things in the right way otherwise you also will be suspected as and accused of being a trouble-maker and that's not a good thing to have happen.

"Slowly, slowly catchee monkey"!

• Debbie Roberts
    8 years ago
    My neighbour telling her friend on the phone that she caught up with her ex then stated if she had no kids she'd leave her husband...if only he knew what she got up to.
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    When I lived in an apartment in California, I would hear a strange sound at all odd hours from directly above. It sounded like a ball rolling, then a scratchy sound and it would go on for about 30 minutes at a time. Drove me mad. Not just being disturbed by the sound, but not being able to work out what the sound was totally did my head in. I'd never hear a sound from there during the day. One Monday evening at midnight I ventured upstairs. When I enquires as to what exactly the sound was, the guy profusely apologised and swore me to secrecy that he was keeping a gerbil (nocturnal rodent) as a pet (no pets policy apartments) and he himself was a shift worker. He showed me how he would roll the ball across the tiled floor and the gerbil would retrieve it (over and over again). It was kinda cute. He put down a carpet runner and the problem was solved until the landlord somehow caught on to him having a pet and he had to move out.
  • ladyrob1
    8 years ago

Poor wee gerbil! Shame on the bloke!

• row1row
    8 years ago
    We used to live in a block of flats neighbouring many other blocks of flats. Apart from a few bad apples it was a very considerate neighbourhood. But one neighbour I remember, was awful, yelled at her kids constantly " I'm going to f****ing kill you" and such all the time. Then the bangs and crying. Presumably the kids being hit. All the neighbours and myself ,called the police and docs a number of time. Nothing happened. I hope those kids were alright.

Nowadays we live in a house and I have to say people are a whole lot less considerate. Noisy parties, fights, building work at late night. I think they see their territory, their patch of land is there's to do whatever they like and stuff everyone else.

I dream of living in the country now on a very big farm with no one I can see :)
  • echalmers
    8 years ago

I think that you are right about people and their property. Basically they feel entitled to do whatever they want, including destroying other people's property (not to mention the neighbors' peace of mind). I'm with you--I dream of a house surrounded by land with no one on it. Fortunately for me, dreams are free.

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago

@echalmers and rowtrow...escape to the country is the thing to do! I escaped 30 + years ago and have never regretted the move, its healthier..clean air, clean water, clean food, grow your own veggies, have some chooks and a couple of dogs n cats...maybe a cow...and even the little older homes in the township have space between them..none of this being so close as to be able to shake hands out the window. Our little township has all the services one needs wih the benefit of escaping to a nice piece of open land where you can breathe deeply. Of course there are the usual 'country' inconveniences...for example, no reticulated water and having to pump your water up from your dam or water tanks..and needing to keep warch to see you don't run out....all rhose things peculiar to country living...but once you've done it you never regret it, the plusses re so many!

• kpearson12
    8 years ago

I have lived in the same apartment for 5 years. I have had many neighbors in this time and never had any problems. Last year I experienced 6 months of absolute hell from the upstairs neighbors who moved in. I realize that apartment living is not exactly private but these people were the worst. They had 2 small children sometimes each week in a one bedroom apartment and they would run across the floor, up and down the metal stairs in front of my apartment and play in the parking lot unattended. These children under 5 years old. There a a lot of basketball bouncing and sometimes it sounded like someone was fighting and throwing things and I don't know how many times I thought they were coming through the ceiling. You cannot really hear conversations but they would stand outside and yell and curse at each other. The got a Chihuahua and put him out on the balcony 24 /7 and he would bark for hours at a time and everything that moved. I complained to the management office and was told they would be fined and it stopped for 1 day. Then I complained to the city and received a letter that they were being warned of the noise violation. This still did not stop. I was told my next step was to keep a detailed log of the barking and file with the city attorney. Ridiculous! The poor dog never got walked and no telling what that apartment looked like inside. They also had 3 or 4 visitors every day that would pull up with stereos blaring and shaking the walls, stay for a few minutes and leave. Very suspicious activty. I was ready to break my lease and got no support from management. Neither of them worked a job and were probably on government assistance which made me even angrier since I pay full price for my rent. They finally got evicted for non payment and I was so relieved that they were gone. Rudest, most insensitive people I have ever come across. There should be easier ways of dealing with these types of neighbors especially since I've been a long term tenant. This will be my last lease here!

• deewb
    8 years ago

Neighbourhood negotiation doesn't work. I have had 30 neighbours (back, front, side) in 9 years. Renters all round that come and go. No respect for others. I've had the street playgournd till midnight, the subwoofers going all day and night, the swearing drug addicts camped in their driveway. Police don't respond anymore, its not a priority. Worst now are the kids that are left to their own devices that scream and yell all day long. I'm not going to bother taking anyone to court. I'm biding my time to move but Where? We need a website that promotes the quiet neighbourhood.

• User
    8 years ago

Good idea.

• tarotlova
    8 years ago
    There is a website but for the life of me I can't remember the name, just google what is name of suburb like to live in and it should come up as locals will say what it's like to live there. Last house I lived in SA we had a alcoholic woman who rented next door to us from the housing trust we complained over 6 times and nothing got done. When I was looking at the house to buy I asked the home owner what are the neighbours like as I hope you aren't selling because of a bad one! Oh no she said they are lovely, but really what was she supposed to do she needed to sell. So we sold up and built a new house, lived in it for 6 months and moved to WA! Finally building again after 12 years of renting and will move in early Feb I hope. Here's hoping the neighbours are good! As its a new estate they have just put a flyer out saying no homes west or low housing guaranteed, first time I have seen that not all renters are bad but the few who are really make a good job of it. The only trouble we have here are barking dogs next door in the three years we have lived here has never been taken for a walk, my dog barks too so I lock him in the house when we go out but I walk him all the time but we are surrounded by barking dogs.
  • suzineedsahouse
    8 years ago

two stories spring to mind...one where the kids across the road (about 4 or 5 years old at the time) took up violin and piano. Saturday morning lessons were excruciating. Five years later, saturdays were a delight to wake up to (they didn't give up...they got BETTER). The other...camping in South Africa somewhere. The hut I lived in for a few days hung over a raging river (engineering be damned!). I was next door to a tree hut a LONG way up but that didn't stop every evening activity reaching fever pitch. Besides me calling out "you know she's faking it" one night, it didn't slow or quieten them down. Gotta love the enthusiasm!

• User
    8 years ago

Lol!

• jmm1837
    8 years ago

Not all renters are inconsiderate. We rented in a small town for seven months while building our house. One day the neighbour came knocking on our door: she said she was just checking because our house was so quiet she thought someone must have died!

• deewb
    8 years ago

Can I live next door to you jmm1837?!

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    1000 crickets from your local bait and tackle set loose in said bad neighbor's apartment of house will run them out fast...I don't put up with foolishness from bad neighbor's
  • User
    8 years ago

Ha, ha Brandi, that's hard core!

• marg249
    8 years ago

our newish subdivision adjoins a light commercial area, where a food processing place runs a coolstore 24hours a day. A low deep hum that cycles on and off, with enough decibels to keep my husband away half the night, funny how he never used to hear the kids at night!! While I can just bury my head under the blankets and not hear the coolstore, I am awake in a split second for grandkids calling in the night.

We've decided double glazing may be an answer to this neighbouring problem, and we are not the closest neighbour to this either!!

• millie2112
    8 years ago

I have just the worst trifecta of neighbors & I am really getting so depressed. my problem is small children & over indulgent parents. The neighbors to the right are renters. Their children are 3 & 4. They are such a handful. When they put them out to play, they put them down the side of the house which is directly under our bedroom windows. The screaming starts every saturday & sunday morning at 9 am without fail. I know it is not too early but when you have been working 40plus hours per week you want a lie in.

The neighbors directly behind us have build this huge home. Their son loves soccer & they allow him to Kick the ball into the fence. I could put up with this, but he has installed 5 floodlights on his roof above the alfresco area. so when it is night time & all good kids should be inside getting ready for bed, his 8 yr old is out there banging into the fence at 9.30pm.

then the worst are the neighbors behind us (not directly but to the left). they have 3 children that our out all the time. one starts banging his basketball at 7.30am. they have a pool & there is constant screaming by the back fence. there is never a weekend where we can be outside without the screaming.

I do not mind kids, but this is getting me down because it is constant.

• deewb
    8 years ago

Hi Millie 212 I so empathise with your situation. I too live in a area where children are not so much indulged as receive no guidance or discipline. Like you, screaming, kicking fences is part of life for them and expect everyone else to put up with it. You can put a good behaviour form into your local magistrate but if you don't have the strength for that you either wait for someone to move or bide your time to move. That seems to be my only option. I understand how this can ruin ones life with its relentlessness. All the best.

• dreamhomechicc
    7 years ago

One of the houses behind us you can hear the couple occasionally having violent screaming matches

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Years ago some drink and drug people's parents won the Lotto and bought their errant offspring the house next door to mine. The noise was excruciating at all hours. From a reliable source I was told that I could record all the noise and when they were all dead from their activities I could play it back to them...they didn't know what hit them and had no idea where it was coming from..it kept them quiet for a while. I was also told I could play Hymns...nobody is allowed to object to my exercising my religion...that worked even better. I decided to wait until Rates time...they had no idea that with owning a home came respnsibilities...and when they could not pay their Rates and were already well behind in their utilities they had to sell up and leave. Its a difficult one especially if you own our home and don't want to leave. Another thing I did was have my car fitted with an alarm that sounded like a police siren activated remotely and I kept it in my driveway opposite their bedroom. When they mucked up I'd set it off and my excuse was that it was defective and would go off without any action from me so I couldn't help it and wasn't going to ruin the car to have it uninstalled,,,and could not afford to have it fixed.....so...sorry..just one of those things...By the way, did they know who it was that yelled and screamed and played heavy metal in the middle of the night and had drunken parties? Maybe we, as neighbours should get together and form a neighbourhood watch? I think that put them on their toes. Fortunately I have nice neighbours now. Its more difficult if the nuisances own the house. I'd call the Police every time there was a disturbance too.

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

I am blessed as we have very quite neighbours. I have also witnessed a couple of instances recently where very intolerant neighbours have made life hell by complaining about noise. Near my house an a horrible couple who spent a fortune renovating a house on a very busy road and next to a long standing coffee shop. Through constant harassment and complaints to council the business decided to close and move. Destroyed a real community that had build around this business. They complained about parking, noise form the coffee grinder etc, while council busses noisily wiz past their front door every 5 minutes. I have another two similar stories.

We need to sit back and look at what an intolerant society we have become, and in many cases focused on first world problems.

• Hilde Gard
    7 years ago

I adore kids having a great time, playing and being kids. BUT, parents should instill in them early that "screeeeeaming" is not on unless their life is in danger. I'm not talking about the occasional squeal of excitement. Constant screaming at any age is bad behaviour full stop.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

I agree, Hilde. I didn't allow my kids to do it.

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

I think the poster was talking about that frustrated screaming that goes with destruction of property and downright frustration...its not intolerance to expect that children and even some adults that have not grown up...or maybe have not evolved from their cave man ancestry to be respectful of the rights of others to have peaceful enjoyment of their properties. There are laws against noise and disturbing the peace as well as destroying property. Not every disgust at obvious unacceptable behaviour can be blamed on the intolerance of others.....intolerance is the only reaction possible when the behaviour of others is less than tolerable. Do agree, however that there are individuals who think the airwaves and the streets and all the civil rights are dictated by them...that's reverse intolerance. I'm sure we have all seen those people who act as if they alone have entitlements...because they've had a hard time or because they feel that others are too priviledged to have had a decent standard of living and that these 'priviledged' people ( mostly the hard workers who've sweated and toiled to get ahead and all others like them) along with others in society they perceive as receiving and having got more than them, somehow owe them abeisance and indeed should hand them everything for free...(take a breath)...and when they don't get what they believe are their rights and freebies they cause a commotion.

I don't want to get political here but I've lived for many years having to adapt to the culture of another people to fit in.....I don't see a lot of adaptation from many who want to call this country home. Many of their children are spoilt beyond belief and already act as if they can do what they please and are so entitled . Was watching a programme last night where the comentator was saying that we are a multicultural country whereas many other countries are non assimilative...don't know what to think about that statement and whether assimilation is what should be expected. As for badly behaved children and youth who obviously have no respect for others or their property and who lord it over others and even bash them for the sake of it... I guess its the same worldwide....the parents are the instigators...and some cultures have an innate sense and even an irrational expectation of entitlement. I think I've written on this before...I was a kindy teacher, my little pupils were sweet and respetful of each other....children are very sensitive to what's good and right and their little hearts respond. If children are rough, uncouth, have bad mouths and a tendency to abuse others...its their adults who are to blame. Its the adults who need to be corrected. I have no hesitation calling in the law on unruly adults who disrespect the rules of peaceul neighbourhood living and allow their children and youth to run amuk...irrespective of their past circumstances. We live here..we live in respect and harmony or we can expect consequences according to our laws...which are there for our peace and our lives. About the little coffee shop...that seems to be our problem...nobody dares speak up lest they be badly thought of until its too late and then we whinge. In the case of the business being there already and those new people building near it then epecting everybody to get out of their way......that's a classic example of that sense of entitlement, not about being intollerant, more about their attitude..."we are superior...we have money...we are better so we'll deal with you lot". Its this dissruptive, disrespectful atmosphere pervading our society, our communities and causing dissention....its reflected in the unruly kids....its very uncomfortable to say the least. Worse...Councils don't seem to care. Its amazing what a lerge cheque to a Councilman's personal project can accomplish sometimes.

• wuff
    7 years ago

Ladyrob, many good points, I am not keen on young children being in fine dining restaurants in the evening. Once they can sit at the table and take part in the experience fabulous, come one come all, but toddlers or lower primary school just not right the place, if they are up and down, wriggling about, crying, staring at other diners..not fair on everyone else. We went out the other night to Crown Modo Mio Perth and there were some delightful children in the restaurant, didn't even realise they were there until we left, table behind me. Great parenting, great family occasion every right to be there.

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Wuff, that's how it should be...unfortuntely things are hardly ever as they should be and mny people these days haven't a clue about ettiquette....that applies to some adults in particular. I agree that fine dining restaurants are not suitable for children...unless of course, as you describe, the children hav been schooled in proper behaviour. One restaurants I've been taken to on specil occasions actually has a policy of "no children"..but in order not to breach discrimination ettiquette they have a special chidren's dining room with waiters dressed in colorful uniforms. There's also a fine dining children's menu. The children are called 'maam' and 'sir' and have their chairs pulled out for them....they have their non alcoholic drinks served in lovly glases as if it were champagne or wine....it really delightful. They also have themed evenings. There's a dining etiquette that the children are expected to observe..and how to hold and use the cutlery. Parents are given a little booklet about it.. I thought it a good way to instruct the adults under the guise of instructing the children. It works well and the restaurant owners are to be commended for such a novel approach to...well, it "manners" isn't it? And not many know the mening ot the word these days. The children come away from such an experience feeling important..and I think some parents learn a few things too. There's nothing worse that not being able to go out for a dignified meal because other people don't realise that some places are just not for children..especilly their chidren. Its one thing being well-to-do and completely another having manners. My dear old Mum was the eldest of 12 children...their Dad was an Engine Driver, but he insisted that each and every one of the children learn manners.. As disadvantaged as they were, they "dressed" for dinner in their best always clean, pressed, starched clothes,,, darns, mends and all, and he'd inspect them all before they were allowed to be seated. Mum's Aunt Laura taught her to..."be a lady" and educated her about the arts, taught her how to dance, how to set a table for a three course meal, how to dress, how to be polite, and..how to cook and manage a home...so she would be able to "mix it with the best" and not be thought out of place.

How things have changed...its all more relaxed. Manners and respect for others seem to have..."Gone With The Wind"..regarded as outmoded and old fashioned. Pity! Wonder how we can get a gracious, respecful society back?

• wuff
    7 years ago

That restaurant sounds fantastic, special for children as well, I sent my daughter to deportment where they were taught some finer points of etiquette, what cutlery went with what course tec. How to get in and out of a car without showing the world your bits and pieces. She really enjoyed it, it was always full, so well attended. We always ate at the table with a set table, not groomed and starched but did have great family meals

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Many many moons ago, my then husband & I lived next to a couple (with young children) whom every few weeks would stand outdoors in their driveway and yell at each other at the top of their lungs. No swearing, but the sheer audacity, lack of dignity and shame, and consideration for their neighbours was so appalling.

• 63blue
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A 3 storey house has been under construction next door to us since the start of 2015. We had 9 months of them breaking through sandstone; we have been sworn at, concrete sprayed over our house several times, rubbish thrown into our place, driveway blocked. And then there is the constant noise. No organic materials - just concrete and besser bricks so there is nothing to absorb the sounds. Council has approved outdoor area plus floor to ceiling windows looking straight into our place - swimming pool, spa, anywhere we are at the rear of our place is now looked over by this building. It's been a horrendous experience and now the house on the other side which was built 4 years ago (and took 2 years to build) has new owners and the only ones to have moved in to that place are labourers....God help us. Both homes are concrete blocks that just echo and landscaping is at the very minimum, especially on the 3 storey place. They have even managed to get away with not installing a water tank and having concrete from front to back. It's situations like this that you just wonder who on the council is on their pay roll.

• Emma
    6 years ago

We have lovely ones next door to us, their block is slightly higher so all of the sound carries. I think they are FIFO, so from the minute they get home (Wednesday) to the time they leave (the next Tuesday) there is a party. Music so loud we cant hear our TV, swearing, yelling, laughing etc... We go to bed with the noise and wake up to the same, we have been tortured with this for about 4/5 years now and they OWN the place.... sigh

• 63blue
    6 years ago

Life in the 'burbs....

• suzineedsahouse
    6 years ago

Emma- how awful. FIFOs are often on banned list for rentals where I live...and the military. Same attitude of disregard for everyone else by soooo many of them- sooo noisy. I wonder if they might be deaf due to artillery fire and jet noise??

• marg249
    6 years ago

start up your lawnmower and park it by their fence.

• Emma
    6 years ago

Nice idea @marg249, we've tried but they cant hear it... Also they like to do this as part of their party, they start up a chainsaw though.