Houzz Logo Print
sherryvarga

Need help painting my vanity

sherryvarga
9 years ago
I have been given a wooden vanity that is in good shape but not my style. I would like to turn it from the first image to the second with a bit of white paint and anything else you can recommend. I have never painted furniture in my life so I would love some help with where to begin (do I strip the lacquer or just cover it with primer?) and how to do it well (use a roller? a brush?). There is a medicine cabinet as well. Thank you!

Comments (27)

• bigreader
    9 years ago
    Google Centsational Girl or The Nester.

Both write blogs with posts on painting wooden furniture.
    sherryvarga thanked bigreader
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ sherryvarga...I have one almost the same except a little more vintage with a polyresin bench and inset basin,,,it goes with my timber walls so no intention of painting it....but what are the walls of your bathroom like and do you intend doing anything with them?
    sherryvarga thanked ladyrob1
  • Related Discussions

Help! i need an upgrade of my bathroom!

Q

Comments (5)
    The tiles are not offensive..most people are choosing white with white anyway. Given the items you want to keep I would simply replace the bench top, add a new wider longer mirror, that fills the space where you currently have the tiles and if you are using laminate it can only be an above mount sink. If you are doing stone or timber then you can have an undercount sink. I would possibly consider taking off all the wall tiles and find a more natural tile to work with your floors and then add a lick of paint to freshen it all.
    ...See More

I need help rearranging my ensuite

Q

Comments (11)
    Suggest: 1) Square off BR2 (i.e shorten WIR, close off door to bathroom). You could of course go other way if the Bathroom is enlarged instead. As far as I can estimate, you could have a room that is either 2.65 or 3 m wide, depending how you went. Quite adequate either way for small BR or office.. Shelves in (narrow) WIR are quite deep (from scale) and could be narrower and now longer.. The alcove with the shelves(?), the foot of L, could have built in cupboard. 2) Move toilet to where door to WIR is now closed off. 3) Enter Bathroom (not WIR as I wrote first time..) from BR1 and BR2 (if desired) via sliding doors. These are lockable and if BR2 is ever used as a nursery room, very useful.. . 4) Nice long vanity under window with lots of room for basin(s) and perhaps floor to ceiling storage to side. OK .. this requires 2 doors from your BR, or perhaps a door and a bead curtain (as in my BR..), but so what... You have more room to play with. 5) When you say 'feature window' you mean you are going to knock those two into one? What is that door we can see part of? The shower? 6)The other bedroom/stuff needs a rethink too. lots of wasted space there.
    ...See More

need help in my bathroom

Q

Comments (1)
    Is the wall load bearing?
    ...See More

Need help with vanity mirror

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Diana. Is it possible you can post a photo to give us better idea of layout?
    ...See More
  • theamazingmisssharon
    9 years ago
    The paint shop will give you good advice, but you can just give them a light sanding and then paint them with an an adhesive primer before painting them white. Using a good quality brush will be fine. Good luck! Post pics of the end result.
    sherryvarga thanked theamazingmisssharon
  • Fiona
    9 years ago
    You could go with chalk paint, no preparation required. you can buy Annie Soames chalkpaint at various places, but it's quite expensive, or you can use Marilyn's Chalk Paint, http://www.chalkpaintpowder.com.au/ they do limited colours made up or you can add the powder to whatever colour you want. I have done chairs with their powder. If you use chalk paint you will want to seal it clear sealer/varnish.
    sherryvarga thanked Fiona
  • wbrad
    9 years ago
    Try going to a web site called "lilyfieldlife.com. It is a great Australian site where lots of advice is given on furniture. The lady on this site also painted her kitchen cupboards and has talk about painting bathroom vanities.
    sherryvarga thanked wbrad
  • cloudpants
    9 years ago
    You could also go onto Aussie site: A Beach Cottage. Lots of tips for painting furniture.
    sherryvarga thanked cloudpants
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @sherryvarga re your timber vanity...considering a little more....sherry...what I asked about your bathroom walls...I was rather vague...what I meant was do you intend painting them and if you do and really really want to paint that lovely timber vanity...why not "marry" the walls and tha vanity...whatever you do with the vanity do with the walls..wbrad has sent you to a good site for some good ideas so good luck and a successful outcome! If it were my vanity I'd be "marrying" the wall near the vanity to the vanity rather than painting the timber of the vanity....have an avversion to painting beautiful timbers, I like to show them off ( not all timbers though, as not all are worth the focus)...but in my opinion this vanity is lovely and I'd really hate to see it painted. Rather, I would give it a good sand down, a refreshing coat of a stain that pleases you...and stains come in all tints even blues and greens etc,,,, and then I'd oil it and maybe put some brass feature knobs and decorative pieces...just an idea,
    sherryvarga thanked ladyrob1
  • byfieldfarm
    9 years ago
    I painted mine...almost identical. One coat of wood primer and 2 coats of satin enamel. Tough and cleanable. Looks great. I did mine in a soft white.
    sherryvarga thanked byfieldfarm
  • Heath Westbury
    9 years ago
    I really hate painting over timber but understand sometimes it's necessary.
    Even though it doesn't refer to your question specifically about the methods of painting and preparation, you need to decide on colours and finishes as they will play a huge part in how you proceed. For instance if you are choosing a solid white or variation thereof then the methods of primer etc already described are are a good start. If you were to go for a french provincial style with a white wash that bleeds through the wood grain then a different prep is needed (this is sort of what I'm referring to - http://www.listvanities.com/images/D/Xylem-Kent-30-Traditional-Bathroom-Vanity-Whitewash-Finish.jpg).
    Comment on this and I will go into more detail about prep etc.
    sherryvarga thanked Heath Westbury
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ byfieldfarm....Of course WHITE...what else? But when you want the lovely natural timber one back...when the "Everything White" or Everything Black" trend turns in this dark saddened world where everyone is looking for something pure and innocent or for somewhere to hide and feel safe...you will need to buy a new vanity and you'll remember what you had in your hot little hand. Glad that you are happy with it though...after all, its your houzz!
    One good thing...at least its solid timber and not some melamine covered chip board that will dissintegrate if it gets wet!
    Can't believe some of these Home Renovation Shows where they rip out perfectly substantial timber cupboards and bench tops and replace them with crumby flat pack particle board...or cover original hardwood floors with 3 ply and plastic woodgrain laminate for want of a bit of old fashioned imagination, hard work and time.
    In these days of "built in a day and blown away in the first storm". I am very glad of a little old Houzz that hasn't budged in 90 years built one nail at at time hammered by hand by master craftsmen. I wish everyone had something as strong where to feel safe and as pure...built with integrity and pride. Never mind, when I'm on the way out I'll have to auction it for charity to the highest bidder.
  • PRO
    Scavolini Kitchen, Living and Bathroom
    9 years ago
    Well, white is a beautiful and clean color, but if you take a look at our vanities, you will see a whole lot of color ideas for you!
    sherryvarga thanked Scavolini Kitchen, Living and Bathroom
  • portpiro
    9 years ago
    Consider removing the existing sink (no doubt you would anyway) and placing a piece of granite or cesarstone on top - much more durable than timber in a wet area. Then you can have the sink you want including an above counter one if it takes your fancy. Go to a supplier and see if you can buy an off cut or look on Gumtree for one. I'd take off that back timber thingy too.
    sherryvarga thanked portpiro
  • sherryvarga
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Looks great @turner3477! Did you remove the doors as well as the drawers for painting? Did you use a brush or a roller?
  • sherryvarga
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Heath Westbury. My husband also hates painting over timber and he cringes at my talk of painting it white. I'm going for a solid white base, keeping the timber bench top, swapping the basin and looking for a way of removing the back splash without damaging the rest of the bench top (it is pretty firmly stuck on). I've bought white semi gloss enamel paint and a couple of brushes. The guy at the paint shop said because the surface is smooth and undamaged, I can just paint straight on it without priming it first. Just hoping now to paint it without ruining it. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!
  • Terri Turner
    9 years ago
    Yes I removed all doors, drawers and hindges. I Placed the hinged back in the cupboard on frame they came out of, The drawers and doors I numbered ea one. You must insure you put everything in the same position it came out of, or you'll have difficulty. Don't believe the guy. You must prime before painting, as the stain will bleed thru. Trust me, I have learnt from past exp. Depends who you get to serve you. If they've never actually done it themselves, they haven't a clue. Look up on u tube ect or go to an experienced paint shop. They will tell u the same thing. Go on u tube @ type in "want to Paint over stained cupboards"... 1st I cleaned down with sugar soap, to remove grease , makeup ect. I used Restoluem Primer. Two coats. sanding lightly between coats. Then 2 coats of your white enamel. Again sanding lightly between each coat. I used a good quality small brush for cutting in, then a small roller as it gives a better finish. Good luck
    sherryvarga thanked Terri Turner
  • Terri Turner
    9 years ago
    oops sorry. I have posted more pics for you before and after of things I have painted. Trust me you must prime. Every piece of furniture I had was stained. I now have painted then all white or aged look.
    sherryvarga thanked Terri Turner
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @turner3477 YIKES! You already had the "aged look" and a very unique timber cabinet. wherever did you get it? I still think this trend of "paint it black or paint it black and white or paint it white is a psychological dilemma where people don't know how to use colour or are scared of it...or are afraid that they will not be "en trend" and keep up with the "Joneses". Don't mean to insult anyone's sensibilities but its how it looks and feels to me...everything old and genuine and beautiful being veneered to look trendy and plasticky. I'd be delighted to find a timber cabinet like that one as opposed to the the painted white version....and if I was at all tempted to investigate the white one to see what it was made of, my first instinct would be to have a feel and a scratch of that lovely decorative carved frieze above the benchtop....to see if it were made of a plastic mould and just stuck on. Sad to say this but what you have made of this cabinet is "what I call " fashionable fake". One redeeming feature though, whether it has any significance for you at this point in time is that at least under the paint, you know you have a genuine, solid timber cabinet that would have been worth something one day and maybe still will be when somebody, 30 yrs from now, recognises it for what it is and lovingly restores its genuine identity rather than mistaking it for junk and throwing it out to be replaced by the next lot of stage scenery. Wonder what the next "fashionable fake" will be made of when people have forgotten what solid timber and craftsmanship is?
    Don't know where you live....but would you like to sell me that cabinet at all ? I'd give it the life it deserves and I am sure you could find another one that would look every bit what you want to achieve in your space..(.In fact I could knock up a pretty good imitation replacement myself...not that I'd want it).
    I like watching` those antique shows in Britian where people bring old wares to be appraised and where antique dealers enter people's homes to buy collectables. It is on these programs that one learns the true value of the timeless pieces...some of which seem like old junk...but what surprises when what looks like junk turns out to be worth investing in!
    Apart from the above...enjoy your pristine French Provencale dream!
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @turner3477,
    I would normally agree with Ladyrob1 about painting over fine or antique furniture but you have done a tremendous job going by the photo's you've provided.

I look at it a bit differently to Ladyrob1, in that you may very well have tossed this buffet into the scrap bin probably not liking the timber look, but instead you have painstakingly and lovingly restored this cabinet to suit YOU and it takes pride of place in your home and that's worth a whole lot more than being tossed on the fireheap as an alternative, which you could have chosen to do!!
    I very much understand the passion that Ladyrob1 has with her home and her belongings but I have to take my hat off to the young ones, who like the style but can't come at the colour, so at least the items of furniture are preserved and still admired, even if not in the traditional way!!!!
    sherryvarga thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • byfieldfarm
    9 years ago
    Words of wisdom Barbara. Sad that some people are so narrow minded! Taste is and always will be subjective.
    sherryvarga thanked byfieldfarm
  • Terri Turner
    9 years ago
    Thanks Barbara for your comments. I am 61yrs old. I have had dark stained furniture all my life. 2yrs ago we downsized and I was honestly sick of darkness. I know where ladyrob1 is coming from. I live in Australia and no don't want to sell the dresser. Yes I too could never understand when furniture was painted over. But like I said. I wanted a change. I did sell most of my antiques. The ones I kept, I did over and will enjoy for many years, as it brightens the place up. I Must mention I still have dark stained furniture which will remain stained and I like the mix. It was makes one happy and yes we are all to enjoy what we love. Hope you all have a lovely xmas with your friends and family cheers Terri xx
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @turner3477,
    You're most welcome Terri, yes, I do believe whatever one does from the heart will always be the right decision like whether to paint or stain.
    It's interesting that you like both the original stained furniture as well as your newly painted furniture.
    Do you have them in seperate rooms or mixed???
    Best wishes to you too for a safe and happy Christmas.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • Terri Turner
    7 years ago

Hi Barbara To your question above, See below I've left the coffee table, and mirror as is,. it's not really a good photo. So yes I do mix them up. They look great. It's been a long time since I got onto Houzz since xmas. Have been flat out. I do love reading comments, and that's what they are, Ones own comments, but I'm not trying to change peoples own ideas. It's great we all have different ideas. Imagine how dull our homes would be if all the same? Comments on Houzz are just that, to give people Food for Thought. Thanks for all your comments.

• cloudpants
    7 years ago
    Terri Turner, love your work!
  • Terri Turner
    7 years ago

Sherryvarga have you done the dresser up? If so, I 'd love to see the pics. I've got to say to all at Houzz, that Every stick of furniture in my home comes from either garage sales, ebay or side of the road. Everyone that comes thru my home thinks It's a really expensive home. I go thru every room and explain how ea piece looked and how I changed the look of it. I never spend a fortune believe me, as I don't have that money. Just an example the Chaise lounge I picked up for $80. I built it up with a foam mattress from underneath as it was worn, then I just placed a very similar piece of material, which I hemmed and placed on top of seating as it was badly stained. The lamp table and chandelier I bought from garage sales. Both were black, which I sprayed larte colour. The winged chair purchased from op shop which I had recovered. The floor black/white rug I purchased from the reject shop $75. Coffee table from ebay and all ornaments from op shops. The foot stool I purchased material from spotlight and just stapled on top of old covering. Mirror purchased for $80. So one does not have to spend a fortune. The dresser in previous photos above of the dresser I purchased for $350. The room all together looks great without spending heaps. I know it's not everyone's tasted, but you can make your own designs and purchases to suit your own décor without big price tags.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

I can attest to Terri's lovely home and pieces of furniture, having been there and seen her amazing work and it sure looks like the furniture is expensive!!!

When last there, she was attacking a HUGE dining table, how did that finish up now Terri?

Must catch up!!

Cheers,

Barbara

• carolegreen1
    6 years ago

I'd like to let you know that you painted drawer looks so nice and it does not look like it's old! Anyway, follow http://smartessayrewriter.com/blog/discover-the-best-academic-essay-editing/ to see how we can help you!