Houzz Logo Print
ameliaewan

60's red brick farm house

ameliaewan
9 years ago
Please help with ideas on how to improve the look of this farm house near Canberra, Australia. Thank you

Comments (30)

• woodjay
    9 years ago
    do you have a big budget or a small budget
    ameliaewan thanked woodjay
  • longbeachgrannyflat
    9 years ago
    Get rid of the agapanthus - they are a noxious weed. Is this the north side of you house?
    ameliaewan thanked longbeachgrannyflat
  • Related Discussions

Our new home- advice for exterior

Q

Comments (33)
    I detest rendering with a passion. If you go down this path, the whole period of the home will be lost forever. Rendering can be high maintenance after some years and it also affects the breathability of buildings. I assume it's solid brick? So why remove the natural insulation of brick by covering it with a product that is already losing its appeal? And the colour of the brick is beautiful and neutral. I would remove the garden blocking the view of the home. I would have a 1.5 metre hedge at the front with a taller one to hide the neighbours fence. Then consider a tree, off centre in a lawn (deciduous). For a first home and garden, this is simple and will be low maintenance after a few years.
    ...See More

What Colour Should I Paint my Exterior Bricks?

Q

Comments (37)
    Unless you have the money to update everything else to better complement the bricks, painting them will give you a much more updated look. Over the past 18mths I’ve been working on the front and landscape of my current house, including painting the bricks and it has made the world of difference! I’ve attached a before and after photo! Good luck.
    ...See More

Exterior Modernisation of 1960's Brick Veneer

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi Matthew we bought an old doer upper that needs refreshing so I was keen to follow your post. We so far painted the front door replaced front letterbox guerney washed the concrete drive and have bought a panel lift door for the carport. We removed all the overgrown trees. Maybe guerney wash your roof , driveway and front steps, thats our next job (roof) and start with the gardens. If you keep the awnings - spraypaint them in a single tone, paint or replace the driveway fence, Remove that tall shrub or trim it, plant a row of plants up along the drive. Great house, like ours you can only improve it in value. Enjoy renovating!
    ...See More

Exterior colours for 60s ranch style blonde brick farmhouse.

Q

Comments (15)
    Don't suppose the roses are iceberg?, I can just see your dogs scaring the life out of the poor fish. My same farmer Friend had his roof spray painted on a similar period house to yours, and it was a perfect no problems, I think that there good and bad and ugly trades that do these roofs, I know a neighbour was not happy with the quality of his and had to be redone and then another managed to get a really dodging one going around doing roofs and driveways that were total rubbish. A good job removes and resets all the ridge line tiles repairs adjusts and replaces tiles where needed. and remember to keep too many people from walking around on your tiled roof as this can add to more cracked brittle tiles. Re painted down pipes I wouldn't worry at the moment, a house nearby has just had roof painted mid gray and walls rendered a very soft pale beige/sandstone colour. Windows doors eaves, barge boards, down pipes are all white and the gutter is the same as the roof colour, simple, it's hard to match paint colour with brick work so I think I would be going with unpainted white the same as the neighbours I just mentioned, they won't get scratched that way and your down pipes aren't terribly visible from the front. A farm house bedroom for you x, Ticking,linen,timber, black and metal and a blue wall like your fireplace
    ...See More
  • PRO
    My Dezign Exteriors
    9 years ago
    Extend the verandah out, get rid of those mosaic tiles and either deck or extend a solid surface out and render the walls

That's the readers digest version - would love to see more photos
    ameliaewan thanked My Dezign Exteriors
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you. I think the decking is a great idea. The blue bathroom tiles have stood there for 60 years and although absolutely no maintenance, they look very 60's. What do you mean by extending the verandah out? Do you mean coming out all along the front by a metre or two?
  • boynbear586
    9 years ago
    Render and paint the bricks a pale cream, keep white as the trim. Add a vine around the entire house and change the window coverings. I think the tiles and roof can stay then, and it would be a cheap facelift. Focus on establishing a lovely front garden - lots of green and white. You need to pack the garden full of greenery so it creates its own microclimate in order to survive the Canberra heat.
    ameliaewan thanked boynbear586
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you also to Melocco and Moore Architects. You have such great ideas. I have been wondering about whether to paint or rende. I particularly like the idea of the lights as the house seems to look it's worse at night. The house faces North and is surrounded by 3 acres of neglected gardens with many 60 year old European trees. Is there any reason other than aesthetics as to why I should change the roof? Thanks again for your fantastic ideas. Amelia
  • tcmalm
    9 years ago
    I agree with boynbear586 - paint/render the bricks. I like the tiles! Perhaps they only look '60s' up against the red brick but against cream could look cute sort of cottagey. You could paint your furniture white too and put a contrasting rug underneath. Then create a path out from the steps and gardens beds all around.
    ameliaewan thanked tcmalm
  • PRO
    Melocco and Moore Architects
    9 years ago
    HI Amelia

yes there is more practical reasons to replace the old tiled roof

those tiles are very dark and will heat up the roof, a light coloured metal roof will reflect heat as opposed to absorb it. I assume also there is not any insulation under the tiles either.

You should have sacking under the roof and insulation bats over the ceiling as well.

Another great idea is to install some whirlybird roof ventilators, they suck hot air out of the roof space and dramaticly reduce tempertures inside the house in summer, they are cheap and dont cost anthing to run, they can match the roof color as well. Maybe even though a few solar panels up there, really make the roof work for you!
    ameliaewan thanked Melocco and Moore Architects
  • Jess Brain
    9 years ago
    You could paint the bricks white - I think white brick with the tile roof could look cool. Or you could embrace the red! I wouldn't replace the 60's tile on the verandah it's kind of funky. We have a big red brick 1950's house like yours and i'm trying to embrace the era where i can and mordenise it with a few changes. We've added solar panels and solar hot water to the roof.
    Perhaps some big pots of succulents or colourful things on the verandah, keep your cane chairs/lounge and maybe some outdoor rugs and nice feature lights in the verandah? As for the garden - you are very lucky to have established trees you can use as a base for the design, so many people start with bare earth and no shade. I agree about the master garden plan, start from around the house and work your way out. We will be saving to replace our aluminum windows - terrible for sound and temperature!! Good luck and what a great opportunity.
    ameliaewan thanked Jess Brain
  • woodjay
    9 years ago
    Think carefully if you can embrace the whole 60's era and create a fabulous retro house with modern comforts and original features. Red brick is due for a revival - we have some great examples near us. About the agapanthus - they are great if you are on tank water and can be a great repetitive structural element if you are not but don't want to spend lots of time watering etc. A garden design would be a good investment.
    I cringe sometimes when I see badly bagged or painted red brick houses. They would look so much better as they were originally built.
    ameliaewan thanked woodjay
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    You've bought an old style house, so there was something that drew you to it to buy it.
    I can't say I like the tiles either but it's a big expense to change them to some other modern tile but doeable if your budget allows.
    The steps are so hight that they unbalance the house and building a nicer garden along the front and extending it to meet the steps, however far that is, as it will soften the look greatly together with some sort of garden edging whatever you choose that to be, logs, rocks from the district etc...
    I would definitely plant something tallish, lush, either side of the steps, like a Strelitzia / Bird of Paradise and then the planting could be reduced in height slowly so as not to end up with a forest along the front of the house.
    I live in Victoria, so I have no idea just how hot it gets there, so my plant selection might be completely inapropriate but you could create a succulent or cacti garden in a grave or river stone bed, however, this might not look as pretty as some sort of flower bed with plants like daisies for example.
    I think if you were able to neaten up the front yard, this would also add to the presence of the front of the home, especially when you talk about large 60 year old trees that must have a "park like" theme.
    I"m not for or against agapanthus but with such stately trees already there, I would stick to the trees and a nice lawn if that's possible adding to the stately size of the home.
    Tiles, painting, rendering etc... can come along in time but quite expensive, so the garden could be a good start to improve the look of the home.
    I see a ute parked to one side, is there a driveway there???....if so you could improve the shape of it too by clearing the grass that seems to have taken hold of it by simply spraying with Zero or similar, a very safe weed killer.
    If you're not a keen gardener, get some help, it could amaze you how a well kept garden such as what you have, could change the whole outlook of your new home.
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Many thanks for your comments. I think I should concentrate on the garden - and save up for new windows. I don't think I will paint the walls after reading your comments for and against. The simple idea of the whirlybird bird roof ventilators from Melocco and Moore architects is fantastic! The house is on a 1000 acre cattle property at Boorowa, NSW. Any funds spent on the house are for lifestyle purposes only as they do not add any money value to the house - in fact a real estate agent told me the house is a liability! However, my 21 year old daughter has been doing up some of the rooms so I have enclosed some photos. Thank you all very much for your comments - we really needed your help as we had no idea!
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Extra photos attached
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @ameliaewan,
    Hubby and I too live on a farm, where any money that is spent, has to show just cause for being able to put money back into the property.
    I have argued the point that OK this isn't going to earn the property any money but "happy wife, happy life" sometimes!!
    I am fortunately building a new home and for that reason, I can still get away with the sort of things that would otherwise be a no no if it were an existing home.
    Your home is lovely albeit a 70's home, as everyone says but get it right inside definitely and keep the family happy first, the garden shouldn't require a great deal of expense and then slowly work on the house outside.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the real estate agents comments, that's a ludicrous response anyway, ok it's a dated home but freshen up and neaten the garden and it will look far more stately, as I said in my earlier post, you're already doing work inside, "slow and steady wins the race" so the saying goes.
    My home is the same shape as yours and the only thing that will make mine look more modern than your home is the colour scheme, I could very easily make it look identical to yours, well except for the fact that we're building out of limestone, so remember colour can make some big changes.
    I have attached a progress photo of our home and our front steps.
    Best of luck with your journey.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • bigreader
    9 years ago
    Have a look at the blog hookedonhouses.net. A reader just made over a basic brick ranch house. Saw it and thought of your query.

Good luck.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @bigreader,
    I just had a look at that blog, the house is unrecognizable.
    Absolutely outstanding!!!
    I hope ameliaewan has a look.
  • annesalathiel
    9 years ago
    I like your red brick. So much nicer than the orange/brown brick of the 60's farmhouses that I'm used to in Vic. I like the suggestion of wooden window frames and always love a tin roof. With the addition of a great garden I think your house will look stunning. I don't know that I would keep the tiles on the verandah though!
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Bigreader and Barbara. That transformation of the red brick barn house is amazing. It makes me want to revert to my original idea of painting the bricks. It also hits home to me how important the garden is. As Barbara has pointed out so well, the garden should be the first priority giving height around the steps. Good luck with your new house, Barbara.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @ameliaewan,
    You're most welcome and thankyou for your kind comments.
    Just one suggestion though, I wouldn't paint as much as I'd render unless you are happy with that brick look but otherwise I'm glad you're going with your heart.
    The blog you looked at, at least gave you a direction.
    You couln't believe it unless you saw it for yourself and that was a good thing to get into your mind, it will now be about justifying the costs to hubby, good luck ha-ha
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Barbara.
  • bigreader
    9 years ago
    You're very welcome. Don't forget to come back and post photos when you're done.
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Hello all, interested in why tile roof should be replaced, I do not like roofs, I don't like the sound of the rain on them. It makes me feel alone in the world. This year we had high voltage power lines come down on our roof and our neighbours roof. Ours tiled hers colourbond, her whole roof had burn holes in it and had to be replaced. We replaced about 10 tiles where the lines actually made impact. Our neighbour lost every electrical appliance, her TV was blown off the wall. All we lost was a toaster and one aircon that was on at the time. Her house also caught on fire but fortunately the rain put it out. It was very scary but one of the electricians from SES said probably because our roof was tiled we sustained less damage. Our poor neighbour is 90, we were unable to leave our home to get her until the morning. Would that be true re electrical conduction or not. Both houses are old but both have been completely rewired , would be very interested to know the facts ..cheers
    ameliaewan thanked wuff
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    I don't like metal roofs
    ameliaewan thanked wuff
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @wuff,
    Tiled roofs versus colourbond are really a personal choice but tiled roofs require an enormous amount of more structural timber in the roof to carry the weight, as a tiled roof when wet, can weigh several tonnes and a colourbond roof allows for instant runnoff.
    With building costs sky rocketing and talk of eco friendly, then colourbond roofs tick all the boxes.
    You will find almost all city homes years ago, were constructed with tiles and most country homes were made with zincilume initially and now colourbond.
    If you have to catch drinking water like we do in the country, we would never consider tiles as they harbour moss and catch all the impurities from nature.
    Colourbond roofs are cleaner and usually never need cleaning unlike a tiled roof.
    Your neighbour was unfortunate for sure but it's just coincidence that your roof sustained less damage in this instance, as the very nature of storms in general is unpredictable.
    I see the biggest danger with storms, is the huge gum trees planted way to close and when one of those big trees come down, it's usually curtains for the roof on a house and sometimes even the house is gone.
    Back to the forum though, I think the suggestion of replacing the roof, was to make the home look more modern and I'm actually surprised that is is a tiled roof, if in fact the owners have to catch their own drinking water, but perhaps they're on town water.
    ameliaewan thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • ducks43
    9 years ago
    I lived on a farm outside Melbourne for many years, and we had a house very similar to yours; single story, long, Verandah all around, brick, concrete roof tiles that mimicked slate. We had to replace the roof due to leakage and replaced it with colourblind roof ( did all the insulating, etc at the same time), upgraded the concrete slab verandahs with modwood decking (made of recycled wood bits and plastic milk containers, very little maintenance and ecological choice), and over time we replaced all the windows with double glazed timber framed ones. But we were cautioned many times about covering over the bricks because they were in very good condition, and because of the upkeep on painting or rendering on a farm, and because bricks would sooner or later be the fashion again. And how right these words were. I'll try and locate a picture of 'after' and post it here. When we finally put our farm on the market, it sold in two days.
    ameliaewan thanked ducks43
  • ameliaewan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, Duck 43! That is very encouraging. Taking our time and perhaps doing one window at a time - and having it double glazed will be the answer. I would be very interested in seeing a photo if you have one. Thanks again, Amelia
  • mellyshea
    9 years ago
    Hello!
    I think the most smart design features of traditional country homes are the return verandas, which provide shade and allow doors from all the rooms to open out, rather than windows, creating a much lighter space with more ventilation. So if you do replace the windows, I would consider cutting them down to floor level and actually putting in doors, where possible. Cutting down would not be a structural change. Also, consider uPVC double glazed windows/doors as they are very good value compared to timber and aluminium at a fraction of the cost and they actually look great! Most people wouldn't even know the difference. And I know how baking hot/freezing cold Canberra can get, I lived there for 6 years.
    Also, putting a balustrade around the veranda would define the front entry more and give the veranda nicer proportions.
    If you want to make it more contemporary, the charcoal coloured bagged brick and white window frames would be the go, as suggested by Mellocco and Moore. And maybe some stonework around the front steps. Some lovely country houses often have some vines or shady trees that help them blend in. Virginia Creeper, Jacaranda, Elm, maybe see what has been planted in your area as street trees?
    Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Manias Associates Building Designers
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Amelia

Like the fine lines of the house with the right planting and garden it will look stunning

There may be a few things you would like to consider;

1. Its difficult to tell from the photos but I would check that the ceiling veranda lining is not asbestos - The jointing strips of the lining looks reminiscent of how they used to join that horrible material. Get a professional asbestos remover in to check and follow their advice in getting rid of the stuff.

2. The roof tiles are dark and will absorb heat, they will most likely brake in a heavy hail storm (unless their are really good 'terra cotta' ones like Wonderlicht) and also can let possum and other vermin in, (possum are notorious for lifting tiles) and if you do not have insulation and sizalation on the roof this is the time to put some in - and in the ceilings should you be missing some there.

Because now you will have a zincalume roof it is good to earth your electrical system and the roof so that all current overloads are taken to the ground, a good electrician will solve this problem.

Also if the roof is replaced with zincalume you should check your "Holding Down" straps to the roof. Because the roof was designed for a tile roof there is always the possibility that the "holding Down" straps were not included or are sparse. Because you are going to a lighter zincalume roof these are to checked and increased or included if missing, especially as you may be in an open area were winds can pick up considerably.

3. Its good that you have north facing veranda's to shield you from the summer sun, and what appears to be a concrete floor with tiles on the veranda. I would not replace it with timber decking simply because concrete does not burn in a fire - and if you are in the country there is always the possibility of fire.

However some large white or of white tiles say 500x350 or thereabouts resemble flagstones could be good as long as they are very light in color and rectangular in shape. Maybe something resembling a very light sandstone may give more to a country ambiance than the small bathroom tiles of the 50's.

Also I would bring out a roof over the front steps ending it with a "or gable end" pitched end" and provide a nice handrail in the middle and pave the bottom of the steps and area to provide a solid end to the steps using the same tiles as the veranda.

4. The existing aluminum windows are certainly and eyesore and not energy efficient in the slightest. An investment in new double glazed timber windows (Not cedar as cocky's like to eat the frames) or powder-coated white aluminum double glazed windows with "Thermal Break" - which are highly energy efficient would return money in energy savings and look great, especially if your frames are around 50 mm in width or greater.

5. I would not touch the bricks - just use very light colours in the veranda and the, doors, window and frames veranda posts. The garden will hide the brickwork below the veranda level making the roof and the lighter units the main features to stand out. The darker bricks will recede.

Hoping this is of some benefit

Regards

Michael Manias

• Rachel Tanner
    8 years ago

I would love to see what you have done with your him. Personally people who say rip agapanthus out drive me nuts because I don't think they truly understand the effect of drought in the Australian bush. Urbanites may hate them but there have been years when the leaves of the agapanthus are the only greenery in our garden. This year I am watching our gums die - don't think that is happening in town! A good mulch, watering system and updated paths an make a massive difference.