Houzz Logo Print
henriette_scholtz

Colour scheme for the teak interior of a yacht

Henriette Scholtz
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
The Yacht has a teak finish inside which means teak brown walls and floor with an open plan kitchen with black Galaxy granite as bench tops as well as in the bathrooms/heads.
What colour scheme will go in the cabins/bedrooms with queen size beds ?
The bathrooms?
And the saloon? ( lounge)
I find it hard to get my head around the overwhelming browns as I am normally into lime wash and light colours :(

Comments (29)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Lots of cream and texture accent with a pretty royal blue and gold
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    I know the feeling of being overwhelmed with ...BROWN...my whole house is timber, ceilings to floors...but I would not paint it because it is solid timber.
    Lucky you with a yacht...the ultimate escape!
    Your decorating dilemma is the least of your worries...lots of clever people here on Houzz with some good ideas...Trouble is,. timber seems to be a daunting prospect for most and the trend is..."paint it white"..Please don't...please????.
    I do not think you are too far away from solving your problem..
    You mention you like lime wash....although I am not suggesting you do this in your yacht..that comment suggested the colour .LIME. It is such a good seafaring colour to complement dark timber and so is golden yellow paired with a Mustard colour... if you can manage to live with it, many people cannot.
    Brandi says royal blue and suppose its a logical nautical colour, but in my opinion it would close your space in and fracture it if paired with that dark teak...its not a colour that belongs with dark timber..especially if the timber is predominant..
    The idea I have is to...'stretch' the timber.
    .This wording might sound a bit weird but the optical effect of golden yellow and lime in various hue densities faded out to a rich cream would give the illusion of spaciousness and continuity as well as luxury. To better visualise, get some paint colour sample cards of Limes, Golden Yellows, Mustard and Cream... these in various densities.
    Set them out on a table top..Start with the Lime and "fade it out to cream" and the same with the golden yellow, Try to get a Lime and a Yellow that seem...'related' and set them next to each other..If you like the effect and, above all, "the feel" of these colours you'r half way there.
    The Musrard is meant as more of an accent colour or a "joining" colour and it would need not to clash with the teak brown.
    I see in my mind's eye a fabric in a horizontal wavy design with Lime, Yellow, Cream and a bit of Mustard...maybe look for something like that as well as the plain colours by themselves. I think that once you have some colour samples and fabric swatches set out on a table top ( a teak surface) where you pass by and can just look at them and 'play' with them in various combinations, your ideas will gradually come together. If you don't like these colours try the same method with others...there are plenty of swatches of great modern colours to inspire solutions to any dilemma today.
    Good luck...and above all. don't be in a hurry, you will probably change your mind many times before you have the final result that you know you will be happy to live with.
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen layout and design

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in replying! So many thoughtful suggestions, thank you. I haven't yet got around to taping out the kitchen, boundsgreener, but I hope too soon. Even just pacing it out has made me realise you're all right, there's no way a G shape will work. The space at the sink surrounded by the benches would be less than one metre. So that's good to realise now! I can't do banquet seating as there's a window behind the table. The wall behind the buffet unit is structural so we can't remove it (and I'd imagine it might get expensive too!) So what I'm thinking now is more a revamp/update with the current layout, but still moving the fridge across and creating a pantry, plus an appliances garage (love that term!) in the corner. Oven, sink and dishwasher in the same spots. This will still give more room for dining as the fridge won't be taking up space on that side of the kitchen. I'm now worried about losing the bench space that the buffet unit gives us, though. It was going to be offset by the extra G shape, but as that's gone and there won't be any room for the buffet (though I'd love to keep it as an island on wheels, hazzaran!) there will be less bench space than before. I like the idea about a wooden benchtop to save money, Pazz, but is it practical? Won't it get lots of bacteria in it? I'd still love some natural stone in there somewhere, and was thinking of those beautiful hexagon marble tiles they have on the Block. That might be cheaper than a caesarstone benchtop! I am not a big fan of laminate, though, for some reason it always really looks really plasticy to me. Thanks again for all your great advice and for helping avert a layout disaster! I really appreciate all the advice.
    ...See More

What was your latest home-related purchase?

Q

Comments (196)
    bigreader I'm okie..thanks for caring ..just need time to readjust kind of walked out on my job..so looking for stuff to fill in my time ..I hate being bored and sitting sround fiddling my thumb been looking for courses to do and taking my camera out.. these I took yesterday in Warrandyte..
    ...See More

Kitchen, bathroom & laundry - Do they need the same colour scheme?

Q

Comments (18)
    @jmm1837, My appologies firstly to the author for being off topic. One house I lived in didn't have plaster anywhere, just pressboard for walls, the stuff notice boards are made from, so we wall papered as paint soaked in by the bucket load. then lived in a caravan and now a little relocatable cottage, a glorified caravan without wheels I say but now hubby and I are building our dream home, I have no decor or design education and have simply done my best with the plan and now the build. Great advice about making the home, warm, comfortable etc...and I'm doing what I want and not following trends BUT unfortunately at times I am truly paralized by indicision, too many choices of everything from interior colours to simple door handles and when I put my head down to sleep, my mind goes into overdrive, sleeping at times only a few hours a night ha-ha Still enjoying the process but it isn't that simple to follow your suggestions!!! I'm sure as the home progresses, with less decisions to make, it will become easier.
    ...See More

HELP! Choosing "white" paint for walls.

Q

Comments (35)
    I had the same problem too. I rang Dulux and had a paint consultant come in. I have chosen the white exchange full strength throughout the double story house as we have a lot of natural light with vivd white ceilings and WA white doors and trims. The bedrooms I have 1/2 strength white exchange with vivd white ceilings. I wanted my white kitchen to pop with the wall paint colour. Our kitchen cupboards are polar silk white with moose silk contrasting and ice snow bench tops. Hopefully it all blends with the spotted gum floorboards. We have not installed the kitchen yet. I hope it all comes together. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    I didn't say paint ,I said lots of cream and texture ,that means on bedding and accessories
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Fortunately the bed will take centre stage in the cabins, and to create an lush inviting retreat after your days on the seas, I'd suggest a combination of warm beige taupes with subtle aqua, and I'd like to see coral accents in the form of your accessories. I think having layers of soft fabrics, pillows and lighting will set a cosy retreat against that richness of the timber, which will treat you well after cold and wet days up top.
    Take on a whimsical approach to your decorating, it's not meant to be a home interior, it's a yacht, so have fun with your lodgings. I would add some cord trim to your lamps, and really emphasize nautical details where you can. Pillows, clever hooks for your robes or coats in the form of starfish or shells, really everything in it's place, and a place for everything, stuck down! I like the idea of overhead cargo racks, like the ones in trains etc, you can use them to store your folded towels, and find them readily enough. They won't take up precious floor space, but will add to that private cabin feel.
    And hanging below, round mirrors, perhaps two to represent portholes, but also, the circle will soften the interiors enclosed vibe. You can buy mdf round mirrors at craft stores, and I would attach sisal rope wrapped around it with hot glue for a very appropriate look. Bring in a sisal floor rug to sop up any water on entrance, they come in all sizes, shapes and even with colored twine. They are practical and not permanent. Creating a feel is all about building an interior, and everything you introduce will add to it. A practical yacht fit out would consist of s warm blanket and pillow on the bed, whilst a yacht 'interior' would appear to have the luxuries of home, I know which I'd prefer.
    I may be off with this one, but for me, yacht or no yacht, I like my bedroom to be a bedroom, so I would install a roman blind made in a coordinating fabric to my bed linens, it will only have two or three folds, and up mostly, but it will be fixed, and dress the windows above the bedhead, adding a lighter colour and texture to contrast against your timber walls. And when down, it will serve as an upholstered bed head! Stripes would be very nautical.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Brandi Nash Hicks....I realise "you" didn't say 'paint' Brandi and I was not making reference to anything you said....don't be so ready to think that people on Houzz are "having a go and shooting you down just because they spend time and effort offering alternatives to your ideas.( I think we've had a conversation like this before somewhere.) You may need to try to read things in context as they are stated. All ideas, including yours, I am sure, are welcome to those seeking advice.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @mydesigno401...you'r not far away on this one are you having travelled as extensively as you have. I am sure you have seen some beautiful crafts and unique decorating ideas. Taupe and beige and acqua sound nice together...as for the coral, not sure about that with such dark timber...(maybe be "on trend" and... paint the timber white???!!! LOL)
    I am sure it has become obvious on Houzz that I have two pet peeves...painting timber white and..UGH..subway tiles! Wouldn't you know though, I've just seen some mini subway tiles made from mother of pearl and laid on the diagonal..NICE! (and I never thought I could be converted in any way!)...
    Come to think of it...mother of pearl somewhere, somehow, might be a clever accent feature.
    Tell you what, though, in my dream yachting spree .the bed would be the least of my concerns....a cream heavy towelling throw would be my idea of a bedspread. Unless I had the King of Siam as a guest my yacht interior would be as informal as possible without appearing to be a hippy dive and there'd be no frills or fiddly bits when my time would be spent (weather being ideal) up on deck, one with the sky, the gulls and the fishes!

Does a heavy cream hand woven throw with big fat cushions to match inspire anybody?
    If the choice were mine, I'd go for that as the basis of my decor and add the rest as I was inspired.
    Of course the yacht may be far too sophisticated for such a basic approach to decor...but it could be where to start...coarse, soft woven throws, cushions and...curtains if needed or wanted and examples a nautical knots here and there....in other words, not "a home away from home" but rather an escape, another atmosphere altogether.
    One question...are the heads stainless steel? What about the sinks and showers? There's a lovely product out that mimics copper and stainless wall tiles...they look fantastic in those spaces that are given little concern. I think they'd look very stylish complemented with the roughly woven cream covers and nautical knots etc....just another flight of fancy from my treasure trove. Again good luck!
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    A subway tile convert! Who would've thought lol
    My suggestion may not be so designer-y, as much as it is my idea of a cool and subtle seaside palette. I had only thought perhaps surrounding yourself with colours of the seaside but not so rich enough that they may steal any attention from it.
    A thick cream throw might be just the ticket at the end of a day out on the harbor etc, the salt spray and winds might make everything feel a little rough and the softness cor me would be so welcome.
    I reserve painting wood for worn out veneers or cheaper timber with little character, solid timbers offer far to much luxury and can always be reinstated to their natural glory.
    You may recall, my homes interiors are entirely English oak, and are stained black Japan....perhaps another pet peeve of yours, but. Love them, and are grateful that in 80 odd years no one has been brazen enough to paint over them. Once that's done, almost impossible to go back.
    So for me, layering upon them is the next best thing to creating a haven in this floating home away from home.
    Merry Christmas ladyrob!
  • Henriette Scholtz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all your efforts aNd advise! I certainly got a lot out of each of you! It all sounds so easy when you play around with ideas!
  • Henriette Scholtz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It seems that my comments are just going through in stints on 2 lines
  • Camilla M
    9 years ago
    I have been living on and off our boat for 5 years and I understand that the dark wood can make any boat feel small in size. It is important to keep all the fabrics and colours light and airy or the boat will feel small. I chose natural coloured fabrics with highlights of turquoise which reminded us of the ocean and sandy beaches. There are stunning fabrics around that a compliment each other in theses tones. We use cream Alcantra which is a wonderful fabric and lasted for seven years without any issues. People always use navy blue and gold and have a rope and anchor theme which is really old fashioned so I would consider something different to make it look more spacious.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Henrietta Sholtz...and the obliging allegro 6723 here!
    AH Yes! After rummaging around in the old 'ideas compartment' my final thought, if Henrietta's craft were mine, would have been boucle' type CREAM throws with no frills and fiddly bits. Though, the image in my mind's eye was a little more rustic-feeling than this beautifully tailored interior....that would have been the canvas for the colours.
    LOVELY PICS allegro6723! Beautiful boat!
    I could live with all cream and a touch of light turquoise for a while, but being a colourist at heart I think I'd get very bored and flattened out. Thye othe rcolour ideas about Lime and Yellow would have ( for me personally) lifted the dark teak wood,and...stretched out the interior, but I concede that one would have to be up for a bit of a challenge to pull off a successful obverall design concept...it could be fun if you are game and its a game I. personally would love. I can see it in my mind but it is difficult to convey in words...and one would need the layout of the craft. One must admit that all cream against timber is a very safe option, but for me those covers would have to be of sturdy fabric and washable,(often) and then non iron...of course there's always the Dry Cleaner but coul you stand the odour of the feshly cleaned covers in a confined space? Lots to think about...never had to envisage living on a yacht before with all the practicalities.!
    The Turquoise as in the pictures made me think of another option...Grey and beige..and it could be a Grey with a bit of...'guts' given the dark hue of the timber in your boat, Henrietta...its amazing what a grey colour will do...it has the optical effect of making all other surfaces...'tingle'....and it does not show the dirt so much either...just a thought, maybe a basis for a more adventurous colour escapade later.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob 1 I don't think you have ever had a conversation with me ,I have never heard of you ??? And maybe YOU took my comment wrong ,I am not trying to come at anyone nor do I think anyone is trying to come at me, I was simply clarifying because I think it would be a shame to paint that beautiful wood, I own a nice size boat as well and would never paint the wood in it
  • Luke Buckle
    9 years ago
    Great to see some good ideas coming through on this post. I can't imagine living on a boat, personally, as I get seasick just watching ferries go by.
  • Henriette Scholtz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You are all totally talking my language! I love the suggestions and as much as I love subtle, that much I love vibrant..Lime and yellow sounds so great !! I would love to keep it informal and rustic and the grey idea ladyrob1 is what I have in mind for the saloon where the black granite will look great with it.
    This is a brand new yacht so painting any wood will get me keelhauled for sure :O Hahaha ! But I almost always cringe putting paint on solid wood... I am sure it can look stunning ... I just lack the guts I guess ;)
    @Luke Buckle .. I am very fortunate not to get seasick...it is the most amazing simple way of living for us (back to basics ...although the yacht is an expensive item, we live and eat simple and save so much money in the process! It is just pure bliss !) We only do it for 5 months of the year in the summer sailing season... so mostly nice hot weather and good weather sailors/ cruisers :)
    I promise to show a few pictures as soon as I have it all done up! Starting in March in Seattle with décor and linen, carpet choices and all the extras!!
    I know you all mention CREAM ... in my previous comments that was half a page long and only showed up one sentence (Grrr!! ... IPAD! :( ....) I was wondering how you feel about the dark wood and white instead of the cream... to me it feels crisp and light and a nice contrast ... My previous yacht had a similar effect with wood and my white doona/ duvets with the splashes of Apple green and mauve/ maroon in the one cabin looked pretty great ... in the saloon / lounge I will stick to shades of cream, grey and black as contrast ...I thought of mother of pearl and pewter here and there. I am happy to go winterwhite or cream....will probably bring some softness to the timbeer.
    @mldesign0401 ... I have the rack rail for towels above the toilet which is a handy space saver for extra towels! The sisal carpet freaks me out a bit ... having to walk barefoot on them does not appeal to me that much :( I love the Roman Blinds and head board!
    @ladyrob1: The heads have white basins and toilets with timber walls and black galaxy granite (black with a very few gold sparkles) I am thinking white towels? and just a splash of colour that matches the colour scheme of its matching bedroom?
    It is all so excited!!! Oh my word !!
    @Brandi ... your Royal Blue and cream in a soft throws and maybe a scattered cushion or two still plays with my mind!! Love the idea! I only have cabins, and will be hard to choose! :) The good thing about basic colours and splashes of accent colour is that you can chop and change it with minimal effort or cost!
    I am still watching this space with a hawk eye!
  • Henriette Scholtz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some more combinations I love!
  • Henriette Scholtz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This can become ridiculous!! haha! Love this game!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Oh well...now we have had a conversation Brandi Nash Hicks...two in fact...if not three...I could be getting old and confusing people's names although visually, I'd never forget that cheeky little red hat or confuse it with anything...so .there might be a few loose marbles on the ground!.
    Lucky you having a boat...The ultimate escape from...everything, nothing so clarifying and refreshing for the spirit or the brain as water! The TV programme "The Doctors" last night advocated a refreshing all over shower to bring back memories, clarify thoughts and re-energise all the little grey cells....
    That's an idea...I'll take a cruise!
    Not of any consequence or matter of morality or social propriety .whether anyone paints anything white, puts white curtains...( or even purple ones with orange spots!)
    Houzz is .all about sharing and exchanging ideas....we don't have to like it all.
    I believe that Henrietta Schultz, the owner of the boat with all the luxurious dark teak expressed thanks to everyone ..."For all of your efforts and advice, I certainly got a lot out of each of you..."
    Wasn't that nice!
    In the light of that kind of appreciation I don't think it is of any importance who said what to whom suggesting whatsoever is of any relevance. We've shared our ideas and opinions and all contributions including yours have been heard and welcomed.
    Have a Merry Christmas!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Henrietta....so glad we have all contributed to your colour dilemma!!! Ha Ha. I love colour...must say though...that lime and yellow got my mouth watering! I had a deeper golden yellow (though not darker) in mind...you seem to understand colour so this would be called Cadmium Yellow Light....or if you are game..the darker version...looks perfect with mustard....that got me thinking ...it might even taste good with mustard!!!

White instead of cream would be OK Henrietta...you have to like it, not me. I wouldn't do it. In itself crisp winter white is just so ethereal...but I prefer just a shade or two off white...to me it "feels" richer and more siubstantial.

To another subject...I grew up running around in the nuddy on a tropical Island in a gang of pre-school chocolate and vanilla kids and I love boats. I've been land locked for far too long and yearn for the sea. Somehow I am going to get a boat and just go....somehow.
    It has felt so good just talking about it! Thanks.

APPLE GREEN AND MAUVE? YUM!
    A friend artist and I were mixing colours as a sort of experiment...to see what each brand of the same name would do with another. She exclaimed: BOISENBERRY! It made my mouth water too!
    What tast has winter crisp white as opposed to cream?
    Your taste buds might tell you which is the better combination.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    A ladyrob ,was just wondering if you had noticed my new profile pic ,just to clarify...you have confused that ( cheeky red hat ) as that was never a hat ....that was my hair that was pink at the time in pigtails ...and you are obviously a bully,it is never ok to make fun of someone's hair...I have to address this because I have NEVER had a problem with anyone on here?I have sat for days trying to figure out why you would bully someone over their hair....Maybe there are some LOOSE marbles on your end.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Now you know
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Oh well, I thought it was a cheeky red hat...so cheeky PINK hair and all kudos to you for your individuality and not caring what anyone thinks.......I think.
    Your profile has never been of any interest to me, just saw the tiny pic next to your comments and mistook what was on your head for a hat!
    A thousand apologies for causing you so much anguish over your ...."coffiure" ?SP....and apologies also for my bad eyesight and my disinterest in designer speak even when it refers to hair... As well as not seeing too well in miniature I can't spell either !
    I can't imagine why anyone would spend days worrying about what they thought some stranger on a forum was thinking of them or that it might be that they actually targeted you to purposely bully over your hair. Words fail me in this instance.
    I can only hope now that you say you've adopted a new look that somebody might be impressed and tell you how beautiful your hair is, ask you who is your hairdresser, what colour you have in it, who did your styling etc,etc. I thought this was a forum for exchanging ideas about decor not about trying to attract admirers....but one never knows, there are all sorts to be encountered everywhere it would seem....what a wonderful, eccentric ecclectic world! Maybe now that you've put your persona forward with a brand new image somebody looking for somebody might compliment you.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    The text that Llewis Carol (again ? SP) wrote with the encounter of Alice with the Cheshire Cat went something like the following..(.with no intended reference at all to hats or to hair)
    Alice asked the cat, "Oh Cheshire Puss, which way do I go from here?" to which the cat replied"
    "That depends very much on where you want to get to.
    Over in that direction there lives a March Hare... ( spelt HARE)... and over there lives a Mad Hatter...(nothing to do with red hats)...you can visit either, they are both mad."
    "But I do not wish to go among mad people!" exclaimed Alice, to which the cat replied" "Oh you can't help that, everyone here is mad...I'm mad and you are mad!"
    Alice became indignant. "How do you know I am mad?" she asked the cat.
    And the cat replied...."You must be, otherwise why are you talking to me?"
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Henrietta Scholtz!!!! And your BOAT.
    Amid the banter that often erupts on these forums for reasons that are never really clear to me...(and in which I enjoy particepating just for the fun of it), I've been wondering what if an colour scheme you have decided on for the decor of your boat! Any ideas from among those we suggested?
    Somehow your poll got hijacked with the non- boat decorating banter but I've had your boat in mind most of the time...wishing that I could be maybe a little hook or a rope so I could come on your adventures undetected and enjoy the decor with which you have embellished your seafaring craft and home.
    I'd not considered it at all because it was a bit "off the wall"...but...that PINK that came up for discussion on another subject led me to consider a colour scheme of Mustard, Beige, and Mint...with little splashes of an unexpected colour...like that Lipstick Pink...or maybe other groups of colours that are 'accepting' of each other but with a little "wild" splash of the unexpected...a bit like when the sunlight reflects through a splash of water ahd just for an instant you see something brilliant and magical.
    I've even got my palette and paints out intrigued by the "splash colour" that should not fit with traditional combinations but somehow does.....just a thought.

It would be lovely to see any ideas you liked put into practise according to your individual interpretation.
    I am sure I echo the sentiments of other artistic contributors to your project -
    Will you tell us and maybe send Pics of any developments? Anyone else who has the good fortune to have a boat would also be welcome here, I am sure, to put forward any creative ideas. How about it Henrietta?
  • azztyson
    8 years ago
    Ha ha ha have been loving all this and Such good advice overall .. I'm sure Henriette is pleased..I too have a problem with subway tiles and painting wood white... But this is personal and in no way meant to be negative towards others ... Every opinion given should be seen as positive and as a product of each persons life experience .. The worst thing that could happen would be if nobody bothered ..so go for it houzz ers
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    Henriette and dexton - lucky duckies! Our neighbours own a yacht which we have been fortunate enough to stay and play on a few times. It is decorated with neutrals and a few cushions to give a bit of punch (similar to pics here).
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Lady rob .. Still old and mean.... Bitter and rude!!
  • Kerrie McCullagh Penny
    7 years ago

I am I am also looking at at 50 foot yacht that is varnished in dark timbers. I am thinking of using pressed tin on cupboard inserts and Moroccan tiles in heads and around kitchen. My question is do I lime or paint white with leaving timber floors and maybe the lounge surrounds. I am likely to dress beds in white with changing accent colours. This will be our home and abnb for awhile so wanting to make as refreshing and apartment like without loosing the aged appeal. It had a pilot house house and a huge silky light above saloon...

• PRO
    1001 Cushions
    7 years ago

Some classic metallic cushions will really help to reflect light and brighten up this space! May we recommend some stunning silvers :

Vista Silver Metallic Cushion 45 x 45cm . 50 x 50cm · More Info

Regan Space Metallic Cushion 45 x 45cm · More Info

Dacia Snow Silver Metallic Cushion 30X45CM . 45 x 45cm . 50X50CM · More Info

Tevin Snow 45X45CM . 50X50CM · More Info