Houzz Logo Print
thelonelywinter

Boring small entrance - any ideas?

Lisa
9 years ago
This is our front entrance, under a carport, at the side of our house. It'll cost too much to create a new, proper front entrance so we have to work with what we've got. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Comments (29)

• aussiejen53
    9 years ago
    I wonder if painting the steps and perhaps the cement at the bottom of the steps. I have seen some lovely outdoor art pieces that would brake up that brick wall adding colour and softening the whole area. Plants in pots between the car and the steps would again add colour and soften all the hard angles of bricks and steps. Once you start thinking along these lines I am sure you will come up with the perfect plan to fit in with your home and family. Sometimes when I get stuck someone just gives me a little start and suddenly the ideas are flowing. Hope this helps getting your ideas flowing as well. Good luck!
  • raineycarole
    9 years ago
    Could you plant a vine on the back fence and porch? It would add greenery and liven up the area.
  • Related Discussions

Boring Entrance

Q

Comments (3)
    Wall paper the entry area, only a very small area so would not be too exorbitant. One of my friend did this to define her entry in her house that just opened into a long white hallway. Looked spectacular. Paint your laundry doors in the main colour of the wallpaper if you think that is something you would like to do
    ...See More

Entryway decorating ideas

Q

Comments (20)
    Definitely the basket is unnecessary and without it makes cleaning easier too. If I really want to be picky, I prefer just the three pieces on one side, just swap the plants for the brighter colour. I like things a bit off balance. I hate to do this to you, but memo for the future - always get non reflective glass in frames, makes a big difference. Now have some fun with some Christmas decorations to give it a whole new look:)) You will find this is an area to have a lot of fun with and to make regular changes to.
    ...See More

Entrance / Hallway Ideas?

Q

Comments (33)
    Consider combining the concept of console with shoe storage. Check out this cabinet for example. http://www.mattblatt.com.au/Credenza-Storage/Bakbo-Tall-Cabinet.aspx?p19566c17#19568 It has a mid century modern feel and comes in both blond and walnut timber. While this style of cabinet is a bit taller than the average console or buffet it is still low enough for a mirror over the top. The advantage is it's a stylish piece of furniture that has shelves for shoes, hidden behind doors. Although the entry/hall is long it is already full of doors so try not to fill it up with furniture. A single cool looking piece of furniture on either walls #1 or #3 with some fabulous artwork on wall #5 and whichever of #1 and #3 doesn't have the cabinet on.
    ...See More

No foyer entry ideas please

Q

Comments (12)
    Ignore what I said in my previous post. The photo you posted explains everything better. Install a hall coat stand where your lamp is. And yes a sheer curtain would be okay. If you change the swing of the door, it would cause issues in trying to get into the hallway. Or you could install an actual door at hallway.
    ...See More
  • deanli14
    9 years ago
    Wall art would be very welcoming and inviting. I would warn against painting the concrete though. The paint wears quickly and you have to redo it every couple/few years depending on traffic. I've inherited painted concrete on two houses and it ain't good. However painting the railing and the door would certainly say 'here I am' for the entry.
  • poque11
    9 years ago
    google 'laser cut screen' (images) and this could be placed against the back railing at top of steps. paint remaining railing to match, perhaps even mimic a small copy of the pattern from screen down centre of steps. then change lighting fixture to suit. there are many different designs for these panels. just google as above and you will see what Im talking about. :)
  • haephestus
    9 years ago
    I'd consider repainting the front door a different colour to ensure that it stands out from the balustrade, fence and other timber elements which have been painted the same brown colour. I'd also see about painting or tiling just the risers on the stairs (i.e. the vertical parts) to add visual interest and to indicate a clear pathway to the front door. A tall, narrow pot plant in the corner before the stairs will also help to add some greenery without obstructing movement. And, if possible, a more modern outdoor light on the wall near the front door might help to refresh the area. Finally, some kind of vertical garden behind the rear of the balustrade (i.e. looking towards the back garden) might help to add some greenery and soften the cement, bricks and brown colours. The planter box would be "hidden" by the stairs and with a wire trellis, some fast growing vines might do the trick.
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    9 years ago
    Once you paint the concrete, your maintenance will increase. So I would leave it as is.
    I would paint your front door vibrant red [yellow based so that it really stands out]. I would put one pot in the 90 degree of the flat area by the front door with an Australian native grass that will tolerate quite a percentage of shade. The tall pot with the softly hanging foliage should look good, as long as you take care of it. If you could get the pot in the same red as the front door it would look wonderful, and then the green foliage would just improve the look.
    Vibrant mosaic plaques, that are big and bold would also look good on the wall. But I would start with the area directly adjacent the front door and see how this goes.
    Vertical gardens are not easy, especially for novices. I never use them as find them totally unreliable.
  • missym49
    9 years ago
    I love the color of your brick wall. I wouldn't recommend painting the concrete. It will wear off. Been there, did that. I like the simplicity. If you put anything in that small area you will be bumping it as when bringing in groceries, etc. I would get a great indoor/outdoor colorful rug (in the colors of the wall) and put it at the base of the stairs. Occassionally hang a bunch of fresh greenery with a bright bow off the top railing. It will cheer you up and smell wonderful. Easy to replace and inexpensive.
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Lighten the banister railing, maybe tile the steps in stone tiles, light in colour, some plants the zed plant takes low light and easy to grow, show us some pics when you decide .. Good luck
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Can't find pics to illustrate what I'm picturing, but .....add horizontal fencing at the back of the landing perpendicular to the door and no wider than the landing. Extend it up to the horizontal beam above, leaving spaces between the slats. Then add a very cool outdoor light to the fencing. The pickets across the driveway could be replaced with similar fencing.
  • happisue
    9 years ago
    Professionally clad the whole steps and porch, including the side and back behind gate, so that it appears totally sandstone. Obviously the porch concrete would need to be reduced to make it possible to add the sandstone but this is easy in the scope of a professional to make the stairs very beautiful. Sandstone to me always makes an entrance and I think it would suit your house very well. The bricks have some cream in them so they will easily blend with sandstone. You could add some large sandstone rocks somewhere in your garden near the carport to tie the steps in.

Paint the front door, window surround and handrail a fresh colour that appeals to you that would blend with the sandstone, brown and inside your house. To me a lovely fern green would be nice or even better go strong with black.

A larger more modern black lantern style light could be nice and some large ferns or ideally Cycas Revoluta (Cycad) near the large sandstone rocks placed near the carport entry.

Best wishes.
  • zen_garden
    9 years ago
    I'd change the railing to either a stainless steel wire railing or glass and I'd try to mount it on the outside of the steps if possible to give more room. Or horizontal screening in timber could work too but only up to balustrade height. I'd paint the door a vibrant lime green to pick up on the foliage colours that you can see. I wouldn't close this area in with screening etc, the more light & visibility the better. I'd mount oversize house numbers in stainless steel on the bricks and replace the outdoor light with something funky. Maybe a fitting that washes light above and below the bricks to highlight their textures. I'd keep it fairly simple, too much clutter, pots etc will limit access.
  • lovetheideas
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would enclose the back part with a screen panel or slats, or even a large mirror would make the area look larger. These are quite cheap to buy. Pick a theme ie. Balinese, Shabby Chic, tropical whatever style you like. Paint the steps and handrail a matching colour. My front entrance was very plain so I jazz it up a bit. you will see the corbels and lintel over the door...that was just a shelf I bought for $20.00 at the op shop. Painted that and bought a concrete step for $40.00. Cemented it into place and then painted the door, door frame and step all the same dark Charcoal. Love this colour, I have used it on several walls in the house and it just makes anything that is near it look special. Hope this helps
  • Annie B
    9 years ago
    I'd consider a glass and metal railing on the edge of the steps and paint front door. What about a vertical garden on the wall leading to or above the stairs
  • Annie B
    9 years ago
    ...and some decorative items on the wall
  • PRO
    Gardens in Abundance
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Make a huge succulent frame, its cheap and doable as in https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/gardening/h/19697363/how-to-make-a-succulent-vertical-garden/ and what others are advising you, change the colour of the railing and the door, add some bromeliads etc
  • PRO
    VMD Interiors
    9 years ago
    Its really important to make your entry inviting and I agree with most comments above. I would suggest a screen acros the back of landing but only the mid section so that light still gets through. Paint the brickwork around the front door in a light colour and the timber incl stair railing and front door in a dark colour to create some interest. Also a feature pendant light hanging centred above the landing will all help direct people to your front door.
  • KK1000
    9 years ago
    Glass and stainles steel balustrade at the back and sides would make it lighter and brighter and repaint the front door and back fance in light gray , change outside light for modern stainless steel and white glass one. If you are good at painting repaint all timber same lighter shade. I think nice tiles on the steps and landing in front would benefit as well. Good luck
  • buffpoint
    9 years ago
    Have you considered removing the balustrade and replacing it with something a little "less in your face" such as anodized aluminium? Perhaps tiling the steps with a large format tile in a colour to match the mortar in the brickwork. A bright potted plant will also lift the space and if budget allows replace the old style exterior light fitting with a more modern style also in aluminium to tie it all together. Give to old fence a coat of paint which match the tiles, or replace it with a fence that would tie in with the new balustrade. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    9 years ago
    I would definitely try to move the handrail to the outside of the stairs, the wider the stairs appear, the more welcoming and functional they will be. I don't think I'd go with steel though, I would keep to the era which was timber, it could be painted or stained. I also like most of the ideas and in addition think that painting the rafters a light colour toning with your overall theme will make the whole area feel more expansive. Add a feature to the entrance by way of colour on the door, as suggested or some very sleek ornament on the wall as suggested or my preference would be to feature the risers as mentioned.
  • Julie Herbert
    7 years ago
    a lovely standard ficus in a beautiful pot would look gorgeous.
  • bjbkjjackson
    7 years ago
    If the budget permits would you consider painting out the entire roof and gates and wall trims a light colour? There's a lot of mission brown going on and a lick of paint over that colour in light and bright and matching to the brickwork would brighten and reflect so much more light into the area but also freshen the whole house but without trying to make the house something that it's not.
  • bjbkjjackson
    7 years ago
    Like this, how they have used a light colour to bring out the brickwork colours but keeps the roof plain without drawing the eye to it. That way you can put things around the front door that you want people to focus on
  • lostinreno
    7 years ago

Paint your front door your favourite colour, it will make you feel welcome every time you come home, and having done something for that area, it will stop bugging you!

Appart from that, it's really fine as it is! Simple and functional.

Sometime, often, all the time, less is more :)

• Joe Perkinson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Keep the steel posts in place that the handrail is on, but update this by changing the balustrade (Your options are endless) Look at possibly perforated steel finished in your favourite colour and tile the stairs! (Oh and update that old black light! super easy to do! )

• Mia
    6 years ago

You want only decorate your entrance or completely change it? Anyway I would wide it 'cause it seems too small and place the car to another place. Add a few potted plants and a beautiful fence (aluminium would be great), you can take a look at here, for example. Also get a few of nice outdoor lamps and paint thedoor into the light color.

• copywright
    6 years ago

Paint the door and railing black the put a massive and fab. coachlight where that squibby one is and a single fab plant like Kentia ..or if not warm enough something similar.mR

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I would try painting the picket fence, hand railing and railing, front door and frame,White and perhaps both angled timber panels facing the garage.