sliding door solution for European Laundry

Nicky McIntyre
December 24, 2014
We are looking for ideas and possible suppliers of top hung sliding doors that could solve our issue with European laundry. We need doors that will have minimal tracking on the floor to not distrupt the tile pattern and also allow clear access to the sink, cupboards and washing machine. We have had door/wardrobe suppliers out who only have floor tracks that are too high and bulky. We are looking at 3-4 doors for the space. We are open to out of the box solutions. We are reluctant to rip up the tiles at this stage. Can you help?

Elements at Home
    Would you consider a barn door? I think they are a great solution and can make quite a statement if you want them to. I think they are great for Laundry spaces.
    Nicky McIntyre thanked Elements at Home
  • Nicky McIntyre
    I do like the barn door but do they allow for more then one door? We want 4 doors which means possibly two tracks do you know if they are made like this? I only find pics of one door.
    Elements at Home
    Did you want 4 doors or need 4 doors. I only ask as the tracks allow up to a 1m door and you could add 2 tracks which would mean 2m of doors. Something like this.......
    Nicky McIntyre thanked Elements at Home
  • Barbara
    @Nicky
    I'm Sorry, but barn doors belong in a barn.
    You have a lovely laundry and the patterned tiles are frankly in the wrong spot, as the dividing wall next to your washing machine, already interupts the pattern.
    To make the room look real nice, I'm afraid you should move the tile so that the pattern runs outside your prospective doors or live with it and simply put the doors in but I don't think it will look as good left that way.
    Perhaps some sort of bifold design that doesn't need tracks could work but they have to fold somewhere and there appears to be nowhere for that to happen.
    Best possible solution:
    Perhaps a few pull down doors coming from the ceiling like a garage roller door, much like the roll down door on an appliance cupboard in a kitchen, very popular now and when open you could try to conceal it into a bulkhead, as you do have a bit of room above your dryer. You may loose some of that top shelf though.
    Good luck,
    Barbara
  • Barbara
    Nicky,
    Just google "roll down appliance cupboards" on Houzz and there are heaps of examples, I did find one but I'm not sure how to copy and paste it.
    Again, good luck.
    Barbara
    Nicky McIntyre thanked Barbara
  • Nicky McIntyre
    @Barbara The tiles I agree are in the wrong spot it was one of many errors from our tiler. Two years down the track and i look at them and still get annoyed. My husband wants me to move on!!! The tracking system is more what I am interested in rather than the barn actual door. I have a chippy who can make a door to our spec which would have a little art deco in it. I will look up your suggestion and thanks. We have considered bifold doors but the bulk of the door folder would mean we would not be able to have clear access to the machine or cupboard. We were hoping to find a door system like a bifold that could fold in bulk to either end of the opening which would allow access to either side, but have not found such a system. ....yet.
  • Barbara
    @Nicky,
    I have done a bit of a search on Houzz and if you search for: "A Kitchen In Three Moves" by Johnny Grey Studios, you will see a fairly large roller door, designed to cover a large area, although not to the floor but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
    Truly, you would be better to bite the bullet and redo the floor and if you're anything like me, you will never get over this mistake with the position of the border tiles, as it has now left you in an awkward position of not being able to put in the type of doors you want to be happy.
    Tell your husband that the saying in this household and certainly not just about building is:
    "Happy Wife, Happy Life"
    All I ever wanted in my home that we're currently building, were wall hung vanities and hubby flatly refused to drill through the bottom plate to accomodate the plumbing and I carefully played on this displeasure, in the right company, like my granddaughter on my side ha -ha.....and finally we're going to drill through the bottom plate and I will have my wall hung vanity!!!
    It means I have to go under the home and re-cut the pipes and re-direct them but I can do that easy and then seal up the hole in the sub floor, again easy, just have to glue in the piece of flooring that comes out of the new hole and it is only the sub floor.
    Taking allot of time to build has given me heaps of time to be sure that if there are any changes, that they're made before we got to your stage but still your problem can be solved.
    Best of luck with your decision.
    Send pics.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
    Nicky McIntyre thanked Barbara