Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

What do you like most about this space?

Luke Buckle
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I think there are many things I love about this photo, but assuming you like it too, let's see if we love the same things.

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info
(just paste a Houzz link into any post to see the photo appear automagically!)

Comments (28)

• hayley
    9 years ago
    I am a big fan of the different coloured chairs. perfect choice for the room.
    Luke Buckle thanked hayley
  • Neryl Hollingsworth
    9 years ago
    I like the wall of chalkboard. A great place to get creative at any time of day.
    Luke Buckle thanked Neryl Hollingsworth
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Like the long skylight, timber floors if they are not laminate or plastic, the vintage-look dresser and the overall look of "make do/ hesitancy" seeminly so not to approach "shabby chic" accentuated by the claustrophobic hidden office. Like the purposeful odd chairs, the red ones to fit in with the 'op-shop' style lamp...that maybe cost a mint...and the naive paintings....if they are originals. The odd painting in the corner is a statement in itslf and seems of sentimental value. The room would feel totally different without it. The room being in Elwood, VIC makes it feel somewhat cold due to its sparse style. Otherwise this room has a disconcerting appeal because it seems not to have the identiy that would be expected if several or one of its objects d'art or even the empty room itself were put up requesting what type of furnishings and/or room would "go" with them. I like the unnusual unexpected ambience.
    Luke Buckle thanked ladyrob1
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Three things..the recessed architrave, the cowhide floor rug and the light well.
    I actually prefer the bones of this room rather than the fit out.

I agree with carthiefintexas, the styling of the sideboard is the most resolved part of this interior. (minus the colour coordinated picture frames that are too matchy matched to the dining chairs.)
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    like the chalk board, the red, orange and black and white chairs
    red lamp
    pictures on walls
    HATE THE WOOD!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @mydesign0401 surprises me that you actuall like the cowhide rug.I don't like squashed and flattened animals! I failed to see it such was the jolt I got from the overall impression =. what? seriously? Took me a while to work out how to describe what I both liked and disliked at the same time. SO, what I called a "long skylight" is called "a light well" ? I'd love one of those in my old place but do not dare put modern zincalume flashings anywhere near the old gal roofing =.corrosive reaction. Long time no see or hear 0401! Projects?
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @myperfectadvice what would you do rather than THE WOOD in a room like that?
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ mydesign0401...agree with the concept of "identity design" you expressed on your profile but what design identity could this room be said to have? It really puzzles me.
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob1 my project is my two year old at the moment. We spoiled ourselves over Christmas enjoying every festivity and went for a break down the beach. My husband and I, along with my little one are a force when were together, we go off with gusto and do all the things hurriedly that work stops us from getting to.
    We made a scarecrow for our suburban cornfield! I know....a cornfield my husband planted just for our child's delight. My yard looks like the land of Oz!
    Christmas fills me up, and I spend the new year just exhaling :) I hope yours was wonderful, getting to all your to do's and enjoying the calm after the Xmas storm.
    I knew of course you would find the idea of a hide rug grotesque and vulgar....but I have always loved them. It will disgust you further to know I also like the hunting busts of deer etc, which I don't have, although I did see plenty of in Europe, and that's probably the appeal. Also my home has the feel of a hunting lodge, with inglenooks, oak panelling, all I'm missing is my husband in a burgundy and velvet dressing gown sipping a brandy! Lol
    I'm glad you read my folio I.d. I coined the phrase identity design, because so many people do not naturally think thT way when they conceptualizer their space, bur almost every time, it describes what people inately want in their interior.
    A building ( and a designer) must know what it is, and stay authentic to itself.
    I have been frustrated time again by wealthy clients who may live in a post modernist home who want a hamptons style kitchen!!!! Arghhhh.
    What is a hamptons style anyway, is an American version of the previous provincial, and borrowed elements of country at it's roots. I've simplified that, but really most people just jump on wagons, I agree they are lovely, but your end result is far more impressive and unique when your home is responded too, with the features it may have. Great interiors have a strong sense of identity, always!
    I personally like to emerse myself in the raw materials, and construction of a dwelling, I like to strip it back to the bones and build off that. Thats whAt I call identity design....knowing what your building is, and taking your lead from that.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ mydesign0401 your Christmas sounds wonderful and so does your husband/father making a cornfield for his son! He deserves that burgundy velvet dressing gown coupled with some fine brandy!
    I've been sick but now recovering and treating myself with Homeopathics and responding. I cured " hospital contracted pneumonia" in 5 days...just discharged myself when they told me I had that on top of the rest.....Nearly AOK now so indulging myself on my laptop next to a magnificently calming "Glasshouse" brand vanilla and caramel candle. Still many things to resolve here. Right..hate the animal hide and also the hunting deer and bear and,,animal heads on walls...and the infamous subways...but we're all different. Must be frustrating having clients with more money than knowledge but its usually the way.
    With your attitude towards interiors I'd love to be able to get you to help me finish this dear old genuine house and add the things that the original poverty stricken owners could not afford. Seems it is destined to be owned by widows with heaps of kids and women alone on meagre incomes, each one having done what she could. Strangely the place has remained authentic and I am not about to alter that....that is its charm. HOUZZ invited me to submit PICS for "a walk around" but missed the post and did not have a digital camera then.
    Hate Postmodernism too! Hope to see more of your work!
    My latest and most lasting peeve is toilet pedestalls in luxuriously large bathrooms!
  • Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good spotting on the skylight, @LadyRob! I hadn't really noticed how cool that is.
  • mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob1 I'm sorry to hear you were unwell over Christmas. And glad that you can rest up in your cosy and character filled home. Vanilla candles remind me of jasmine buds in spring, which I love.
    My husband is pretty wonderful! He is the nicer, male version of me :)
    Our little one is a girl, named Evangeline. She is also very lucky.
    There is a t show called who lived in my house at the moment, I'd love to see them visit your homestead and tell it's tale. The more generic we thinkit is, the more wonderful the tale. Every tread, every door jamb would have countless encounters, I love that about architecture, houses, whatever you may call them, a perfectly still capsule that contains us and our lies. Houses are wonderful. I love how they absorb stains of our residence. I actually have a strong sense of a houses past lives, and I connect with the details that they all have.
    I hope you are invited again to showcase tour home room by room. I'd love to see where you hung your stag head!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ mydesign, thanks for the well-wishes, gradually back to being strong.
    I've researched the whole history of this place and made a framed story with pictures. I've often felt that there were voices in the walls and since there are no wall cavities I suppose they are in the timbers around the doors. My Siamese cats often acted strangely when we first lived here as if they'd seen or hears something...but its MY house now.
    Won't be hanging any stags head as you may imagine but have hung some of the enormous iron chain that I've dug up over the years along with making a display for the gemstones and bits and pieces that I've also dug up.
    This Title is Freehold MIneral Selection and I have water rights that makes it even better. Love owning something unique.
    It would be interesting to have somebody try to tell who lived here previously...problem is I have researched all its history and know about who they were and what went on here in the 1900s when it was a grant of land from Queen Vic to the Queensland Tin Mining Company...then got sold and subdivided into housing blocks. Its nice to know. Its all recorded in the local historical society so would be easy for anyone to say who was here when......but.so many kids and such a small house!!!
    OOPS..you have a little girl.
    Evangeline sounds like a very lucky girl.
    I consider myself very lucky too.
    Many times I should have gone broke and lost the lot...but I didn't.
    Some people who know the folkelore around here say its the bit of Serpentine I found in the ground here and now keep at the front door...supposed to protect the inhabitants from financial problems. Maybe it works!
    I did not do much a Christmas time...never have....but ate some nice things!
    Am still procrastinating over my kitchen and the wall of my shower over the bath....nothing seems to gel. Maybe when I'm feeling better with more energy it will all fall together. In the meantime its comfy....best of all its MINE HOUZZ.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Like Buckle...I am told by someone in the know that its called a "light well". I thought it was the making of that rather ...well...sparse room. Can't you tell I like a bit of clutter and a few really comfy bits and pieces?!
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    9 years ago
    I actually really like the whole effect. I think that it has been really well done and not at great expense.
    The colour coordination to me is great, the timber I also really like and there is a quirkiness about the whole effect that is quite charming. Someone has a good eye!
  • chookchook2
    8 years ago

Simple, colourful, and I like the wood.

• karenleonn
    8 years ago
    I like the big dining table - the proportions of the dining space and the "solar emitting ceiling feature"
  • Marc Lawrence
    8 years ago
    That sideboard and everything on it (lamp especially) and above it (the framed pictures) are pretty magic.
  • maureena66
    8 years ago
    The chairs and the artwork. That's it.
  • Neeno Nguyen
    8 years ago

The buffet/sideboard and everything on it and on the wall above it.

• 7weed1
    8 years ago

Chairs not matching.

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    The light and the aspect to the garden.
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    8 years ago
    I like the whole room...red is the colour for me. Bright and cheerful...
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    It looks like a home..it says children welcome
  • chookchook2
    8 years ago

Wuff is right.

• Tilly
    8 years ago
    I love the fact that if you empty the room it's a simple blank canvas.
    Furnished with simple statement pieces and splashes of colour and no clutter.
  • PRO
    Katrina Okoronkwo
    8 years ago

I love the option to work in a private office while still feeling connected to the larger open plan space. And who doesn't want a huge blackboard to creatively brainstorm?