fryzfift

Where can we find the best flatpack kitchens?

Ryan smith
6 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi guys, loving this website and the feedback users can offer, I'm looking at installing a new kitchen, considering I'm a carpenter by trade I will have a go at installing all cabinets myself, now I like the idea of flat pack kitchens considering we won't be living in this house long term, my wife and I are looking at either Bunnings, Masters or Ikea, would love any feedback or do's and dont's from those who have used either of the 3, Attached is a pic of my old kitchen

Chaddys kitchen designs
    4 years ago
    Emma, how is your new Freedom Kitchen? Who was your designer?
  • Sophie C.
    4 years ago
    I used a fantastic kitchen designer - Pat from Magic Kitchens in Coburg, Vic. The cost of my kitchen was very affordable & the quality is excellent. I had a lovely time working with Pat designing my kitchen & I'm not sure the kitchen would have been as good without him. A custom kitchen can really be worth it for your own personal use & for resale
  • Related Discussions

We are getting a new kitchen!

Q

@Aimee, I know this dilemma was never about your layout and only about the "style" but sometimes it's easy for us readers to digress a little but it does help the author, you, to have a good look or a good think about it, leave no stone unturned so to speak!! This kitchen whatever the layout, only needs to suit you as the cook in the home. My kitchen is being designed exactly the same way, for me and not hubby or anyone else in the family as I'm the resident cook too. If for example, I placed the microwave in the usual spot above the oven, now seen in almost all modern kitchens, then only hubby could use it, as I'm terribly height challenged ha-ha.....but I'm having a wall cabinet placed far lower down on the wall, thus suiting both of us!! Again I'm not having any overheads, well a few slimline cupboards but they are like half the height of a standard overhead, so I can still reach the shelf but I'm not having any normal overheads, as they would be useless to me and I'm building for me not for anyone else, so if a future buyer wants overheads, nothing will prevent them from doing so. I see you have no overheads in your pics either, perhaps height challenged like me?? Currently, we're living in a tiny home (7sqrs) whilst building our dream home, my fridge isn't even in the kitchen, I have to take about 5 steps and travel through the lounge and into a back room to access it and I have lived with it for several years now and it's no bother at all but I must admit, it will be nice when it's back in the kitchen where it belongs, it's simply too big for this little home. Good luck with your reno, it sounds very exiting, I wish I was as advanced as you were!!! Finished pics would be lovely. Cheers, Barbara
    ...See More

What's your best advice for someone renovating their kitchen?

Q

prioritise what does and doesn't work for you in your old kitchens, decide what equipment is essential for you and how much space it needs and cull everything else, don't waste money and space storing things you don't need, make sure there's a dedicated convenient spot for garbage bins, dust pan and broom and storage of food scraps, consider shallow in wall storage perfect for cans, jars, bottles and packets. Group supplies and equipment according to expected use eg enough cups and glasses for the occupants and regular visitors near the sink and kettle, everyday dinner plates stored near the stove and extras stored elsewhere. Even with very careful planning and very specific written instructions my kitchen cabinet maker put the cook top in the wrong place and 3 m of counter had to be replaced so don't assume the cabinetmaker agrees with you and have your plans scrutinised by HOUZZ to ensure that you consider all the best options for your new kitchen!!
    ...See More

Best timeless splash back for a modern kitchen in a heritage home

Q

Hi everyone, I've finally gotten around to creating a "Before and After" post which includes my kitchen and the remainder of the house. Pop on over if you'd like a look! We are very happy with the finished project. Thanks, Louise
    ...See More

How can we make our small open plan 2 bedroom beach house bigger?

Q

Hi arcmaz Great house - fantastic 60's modern look - Harry Sidler (Modernist Architect 1923-2006 exponent of the Bauhaus style in Australia, mainly Sydney) would have loved the interpretation, its a good style, don't change it will pay dividends in the long run. It would be good if there was a plan of the house,and a plan of the block this would allow some relatively accurate planning proposals. If you had the real-state plan with the block plan it would help a lot. In terms of making the place bigger and retaining the style I would suggest that the extension (maybe one room and an en suite depending on a budget) be a block in the today's current style, but linked to the existing house via a "link" (Link =small walkway). This would allow you to retain the style, but not be dominated by a past period, I have done this a few times and it has worked fairly well. If you are looking for three bedrooms it might be best to add a master bedroom with a bathroom, and then maybe living areas with back yard access. There may be other approaches depending on the current layout that could be considered, but I would retain as much as the original as possible, and only make small cosmetic changes until you are ready for a worthy development. I hope this is of some help, I would be happy to comment further or work on this project. Regards - Michael Manias Manias Associates Building designers - mm407p@gmail.com
    ...See More
  • Sophie C.
    4 years ago
  • malakaman
    4 years ago
    Masters is now virtually closed. I was lucky enough to purchase a bulk lot of their kitchen pannels! If you are after a bargain I have a limited supply of their 'principal' range which I need out of my garage before Xmas. Styles I have are: 'Linea,' 'woodland' and 'Driftwood'.
  • Jeff Beaumont
    4 years ago

Where r u based

• John Woolgar
    4 years ago

where are you in perth looking for woodlands and sorrento

• malakaman
    4 years ago
    I'm located in Beaconsfield - Melbourne vic
  • Longer Time2004
    4 years ago

Renovated this kitchen in June - took 4 weeks and most of the work done myself using flatpacks from Ikea. Their rail system is really good - once it is level it was so simple to install the cabinets on my own. The splashback is bonethane and was easy to install myself. The cabinets have a support spacer that is usually attached at the bottom (to keep cabinet same distance from wall as rail) but I attached the spacer above the highest point for the splashback to slide in after cutting holes for the power points - very simple. Tenants were very pleased with the result after their holiday. Needless to say, the rent hasn't dropped this year.

• andyngo37
    4 years ago

Hi All

For anyone looking to do a kitchen in Sydney, please feel free to contact me (andyngo@live.com.au).

I can offer all range of services from the design only or everything from design through to completion. My prices are very competitive and you will receive a complete kitchen for less than the major kitchen companies out there. You will also receive a kitchen that is designed properly - a lot of those major kitchen companies provide a salesperson who does the design and whilst they do look good, there are small things which are not picked up.

This is a photo of part of the last kitchen I completed, cost was 25-30% cheaper than every other quote. High quality cabinets and hardware, and I think the picture speaks for itself.

OPPEIN Group
    4 years ago

Oppein is the largest cabinetry manufacturer in Asia, we product kitchen cabinet, wardrobe, bathroom, etc. And we have much experience on international business, and we have showrooms at Austrilia.

The following kitchens may help you to inspire your brain.

More in our website.

eKitchens
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Everyone and anyone from Perth

Our website offers both DIY and Trade Customers the ability to order custom made cabinets, doors and benchtops online at www.ekitchens.com.au

• Choose from over 100 cabinets (and expanding)
    • Over 200 different door colours and finishes from only the best brands
    • Flat Packed or Assembled
    • Custom made laminated benchtops
    • Track your order throughout during production which is ideal for trade customers who have multiple orders in the system
    • Delivery all over Australia

We are cabinets makers who have a passion software and website development, our first online ordering platform was launched back in 2006.

For more information best to check our our website or you are always welcome to contact us details are below.

Hope we can help.

Adam

eKitchens

(08) 9456 3108

20 Mordaunt Circuit Canning Vale W.A

sales@ekitchens.com.au

www.ekitchens.com.au

The Styling Edge
    4 years ago

I installed an Ikea kitchen (see pic) and I could not recommend it more! The design was done by my husband and perfected over a week. It then took two days from being ordered to delivery. So excellent if you are tight with timing. Get the professionals to look over the design as there will always be something that you have missed. And personally I would suggest not going with Ikea appliances. Spend a bit more and get a good brand so that it holds up when selling.

• day_liv
    4 years ago
    Installed Bunnings cabinets in our laundry about 18 months ago and the doors are clunky and misalign. Constantly readjusting them. For a kitchen that is used constantly I would choose sturdier door cabinetry. Internal cupboards fine just the doors are disappointing.
  • Sim
    4 years ago
    Hi all
    Kitchen Kreations in Wangara
    Yes not on Achievement Way sorry but Innovation Cct and Ventura Loop.
    They were very professional and not pricy. Excellent quality and they show you okra and masters cupboards so you can see the real difference.
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi there, Love Bunnings and their Kaboodle Kitchens the new range is very impressive, having worked for a Danish kitchen company so years ago who really changed things up in Aus. We had the problem of the white doors panels discolouring, no problem they replaced and installed every thing at no cost and with a big smile. Certainly if you are able to install the cabinets yourself that can amount to a 50% saving. Our new kitchen being built. We used Mr Plywood for the benchtops, it was so cost effective, they even waited for a new delivery to select a piece with lovely grain, sealed with a 2 pack sealer Appliances through Grays online, big savings

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

• Margaret Wonson
    4 years ago

After visiting IKEA, getting a quote, then Bunnings for a quote, I decided to look up the reviews for both companies. I was horrified when I seen the complaints about IKEA, so decided to stay away from there. The Bunnings quote was three times that of IKEA, although the reviews were good, re the product. I then decided to get a local cabinet maker to give me a quote. AMAZING. His quote was less than that from Bunnings. The cupboards, are larger (higher), the kitchen fits perfectly into the space. I have a product and installation guarantee. They done all of the work and delivery was included. The finished product was $1500 less than the same from Bunnings, and I didn't do a thing. GET A QUOTE FROM A PROFFESSIONAL. You will be surprised. We used B & J Goulburn Kitchens, they came recommended, and I can see why. Fantastic service, amazing kitchen, fantastic price. Call Josh on +61427246912. Tell him Margs sent you. We LOVE our new kitchen.

4 years ago

Hi Margs, lucky you finding a good local tradie and supporting them,

I just thought to add that with the Bunnings/Kaboodle/Ikea kitchens, because of the modular systems that they use, if you want to change the layout it's easy,

ie: my very large island bench can be re arranged or removed as it's not fixed to the floor which was completely tiled before we installed the kitchen, the power came across from the pantry prior to the tiling and if no longer needed we disconnect and fill in the point with a saved tile.

These kitchens are also great for those renting wanting extra kitchen space, like in Europe when you leave you take your kitchen with you cheers

• John Henson
    4 years ago
    In Perth I use Anstey Cabinets, they are comparable in price but with a far superior product, made for the space, fitted and because they fit them they come with a warranty.
    I would never use off the shelf and I'm very surprised that styling and Reno companies don't have cabinet companies on the books.
    AOK Design
    4 years ago

Go Cabinets is a national group specializing in custom made flatpacks. The benefits are you can order all your cabinets on line to your specific sizes in any material from Formica, Laminex , Polytech etc . Unlike Bunnings , Ikea where you have a very limited colour , style range and cabinets only come in fixed sizes. The componets can be delivered or picked up from the factory in Bibra Lake . . The system is great for Cabinetmakers as well where a cabinetmaking business can now be run from home with out a business premises expensive machinery , staff etc . I have been running my Kitchen Co for 2 years using this system . The system is customized to general Public as well where the web site has comprehensive instructions on how to measure your kitchen , how to order etc . For cabinetmakers go to www.gocabinets.com.au or for general public go to www.goflatpacks.com.au

• cornerstonepictures
    3 years ago

Looking for a kitchen removal, design, supply and install for a rental property in Sydney eastern suburbs. need it to be hard wearing but with great aesthetic as we may want to sell down the road. Had a bad experience with Bunnings in the past with discoloration and IKEA feels a little flimsy for renters. Any suggestions for quality and reliable custom kitchen services with good pricing?

3 years ago

I have to say that we have had the exact opposite experience with Bunnings, we also had discolouration when we mentioned it to them they immediately arranged to have every panel, doors replaced at their expense, thank you Bunnings for your wonderful quality service. We have also used Bunnings/Kaboodle kitchens in a holiday rental which can get a lot of hard wear, no problems. good luck

eKitchens
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Follow up to my 18 months ago :)

Problem with Go Cabinets and GoFlatPacks is they're just websites, they don't manufacture anything. Any orders go to a preferred manufacturer who has to then pay a
    commission and one would only assume this gets passed on to the customer. If there is something wrong with the order who do you contact GoCabinets or the preferred manufacturer? if you have a warranty issue who do you contact?

Cabinet Makers and DIY If you're considering ordering a flat packed or fully assembled cabinetry checkout eKitchens its by far the easiest
    way to order custom made cabinetry and we also manufacture the order not a
    'preferred manufacturer'.

Customers now have access to order custom made wardrobes too which we uploaded last week. We ship Australia Wide! www.ekitchens.com.au

Call (08) 9456 3108

• macyjean
    3 years ago

If there is something wrong with the order who do you contact GoCabinets or the preferred manufacturer? if you have a warranty issue who do you contact?

Having encountered a problem with a product (not cabinetry) where two parties each pointed the finger at each and neither wanted to help resolve the problem, I think that's a good question.

• Angela Lindsay
    3 years ago

Hi

Does anyone have experience with Sydney based flat pack company - Trade Pax?

Or, Second hand kitchens.

Thanks!

• stella5555
    3 years ago
    Does anyone know who manufactures Kaboodle benchtops for Bunnings? There is a laminex colour that I wish to use but need a custom size.
  • Tracey Gibson
    3 years ago

@thestyling edge I love your IKEA kithchen! Would you mind sharing what cupboard doors you used?

thanks!

• Emma
    3 years ago
    Freedom kitchen one year on - we still love it! Overall the process was smooth and we were happy with the results. The 2-pac cabinetry we ordered didn't arrive all together with the standard cabinetry due to a mix up but it came two days later. Up until the cabinetry arrived Freedom was excellent with the contact.
    Our installer did a great job. There was one communication mix up where we'd requested some moulding to match the rest of our house along the ceiling corners and we'd thought it was included in the plastering quote but our installer's subcontractor didn't- all sorted and nothing to do with Freedom anyway (they finish up once they deliver the cabinetry, from then on you are in your installer's hands).
    Some minor points - because they work with their set cupboard sizes if you want anything unusual it's difficult. We knew this and had a square kitchen and didn't want anything fancy so were happy with this. It did mean a few tiny things like where we have two open cupboards, the edges where they join are double thickness (as it's two cupboard carcasses side by side) rather than a single thickness I imagine you could get with custom cabinetry. And in one or two places our 2pac cabinetry has chipped (less than a mm) from things bumping into it. I can't be bothered to follow up with Freedom.
    From going through the 'Freedom process', I've learnt they really just make their money on the cabinetry. They will give a good monthly deal to Freedom members (so wait for a really good month, not just a small discount) but then that's it. They'll then provide a quote for trades which is fairly accurate and the installers to their credit take what have to be pretty competitive rates and stand by them. But when we were working with our designer to reduce our budget, all the suggestions were for cuts to the trades section of the budget and there was no room to move on cabinetry. So my recommendation would be to shop around and get quotes from a few places before meeting with Freedom (as you have to decide on the day) and then you can decide if the cabinetry is competitive too.
    Overall we're really pleased - great functional kitchen, beautiful design, cost $20,000 with $11,000 on cabinetry, $5,000 on appliances and $4,000 installation and custom open shelving.
  • Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

Our new kitchen is a mix of IKEA and Bunnings, which might sound odd but worked out fine. I fell in love with a light IKEA wood look, but there were two problems - spouse said he didn't fancy an ALL wood kitchen and secondly, IKEA don't make a corner pantry, which was the only design point I was adamant about. And Bunnings pantries don't come in a nice wood (in my view). We chose an antique white for pantry and then matched lower cupboards from IKEA that go on the not quite island bench to that - so the kitchen is a mix but looks seamless and light. The IKEA cupboards without backs weren't as much of a problem as the crooked walls and floors, which required new wall linings anyway. The pantry is incredibly solid and heavy and works a treat, although could have used several pairs of hands in the installation. The internal fittings of both are different but fulfil similar purposes, so go with what you can get and what you like. Our benchtops and glass splashbacks were custom made to suit and are similar in colour to the antique white, with a fleck in the bench to tie it into the wood colour. So far, everything from both seems sturdy and works well.

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

PS The cupboards (incl pantry) were the cheapest part of our kitchen - less then $7000 for everything, including handles and kickboards, and internal fittings. I got the benchtops cheaper than either IKRA or Bunnings as my carpenter knew a local supplier, but installation cost more as it also included plumbing and electrical work.

• stella5555
    3 years ago

Jennifer Bradley that is so interesting. I love the Ikea kitchens but we were scared off as sizing was not standard, as is often the case with Ikea. So did you have any issues in that regard combining Ikea and Bunnings? I would love to see a pic...

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

I'll try - I did take one or two photos and I'll see if I can work out how to put one here ... I'm not sure what you mean about sizes not being "standard" - they seemed pretty much like everything else. In any case if your house is about 30 plus years old, like ours, standard wall sizes and widths can be a problem. We had a 240 cm (I think) width, with corners at each end, and everything seemed to be combinations of 60 cm. Let me see.

3 years ago

Bunnings now offer a service to resize cabinets to fit difficult situations

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

I failed including a photo - which at present is in my Mac photos application - anybody got any advice on how to do this?? Thank you.

3 years ago

Hi there, it's the same principal as attaching a photo to an email find what file you have your photo in, then make a comment click on photo below and search for that photo and double click it once you have found it, it will load in the comment section good luck

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

When I tried that it said my post was some ten times multiple above the size allowed so I'm still puzzling over how to handle. My photos aren't in a recognisable "file", which might be the problem.

3 years ago

Can you re size your photo to a small website size, as it appears your photo is too big

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

That was awfully complicated but there it is. Hope this isn't too big. The wood colour is reasonably accurate, but the "antique white" isn't.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The kitchen looks brilliant and how clever to think to use two different companies. If you want to see the picture larger just click on it cheers

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

I should add for Stella's sake that the pantry was the only thing that wasn't the same standard size - mainly because it sits on the ground rather than on legs (weight) so the top doesn't match the top of our other cupboards - height of top cupboards decided by the high cupboards on each side (for fridge and ovens). We also had a problem with the IKEA kick boards - they exposed too much floor (which was odd as the cupboards were deeper than our old ones) - fixed that with aluminium faced kick boards which match appliances and look much better than the IKEA ones.

3 years ago

What a shame about the pantry how short is it, wouldn't 5 of those Bunnings black adjustable feet have supported it, ie one in each corner and one in the middle if it's square, two in the middle if rectangle, you can buy them, I even have some spares in my cupboard.

• Jennifer Bradley
    3 years ago

It's not short, really, just a couple of inches (yes, for small measures I struggle with metrics - still use dual measure tape measures for all sewing). And also unless you climb up, the difference is hard to see - I put some large platters on top anyway, so you can't tell. And it's so heavy their feet won't hold it up, I gather, which is why they designed it with its own floor. Which allows me (and the cat) to walk inside it!

• Brian Algeo
    2 years ago

we are building a new house and have chosen the Kaboodle from Bunnings as well as the vanities and laundry, mostly for cost. We considered if in 5 or 6 years it was buggered or we got sick of looking at it we could afford to replace. In our current house nearly 30 years we paid a squillion for cabinetry, furnishings and floor coverings and have felt stuck in a time warp because it was "quality" and was reluctant to replace or refurbish. Go for the cheap and maybe not so nasty but be prepared to accept longevity may be a compromise.

• Joanne Dunbar
    2 years ago

Also wondering the same thing, really appreciate the comments.

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have used Bunnings and Kaboodle several times and wouldn't bother to use anything else they have every kind of fitting you need, German soft closing etc etc and you can change things up/add when you want. We had one problem with discolouration, Bunnings and Kaboodle immediately replaced all panels, brilliant. The other really good thing is that Bunnings is everywhere.

• Bronwyn Powter
    2 years ago

We installed an Ikea kitchen recently, with a custom bench and Smartstone bench top. While it's only been installed for 9 months, we have been super happy with the result. I hope that it stands the test of time, and Ikea don't go messing with the Metod sizing. I guess the other issue is if Ikea change their range and you need to replace a door or drawer front. I plan on buying a couple of extra drawer fronts, just in case this happens. We used our own appliances, Mutina Tex tiles for splash back, and stools from another source.

• Susan Clark
    2 years ago

Around 8-10 years ago we put an Ikea kitchen in our laundry - top and bottom cupboards and ''pot' drawers with a white (cheap) benchtop. Looks great still; although it doesn't get the wear and tear a kitchen would, it is exposed to water and in a well used room where it gets plenty of bumps and knocks. It wouldn't be our favourite kitchen ever - although that's has more to do with the bland colour choice as anything else - but has turned out to be a good, economical purchase that we would do again.

• Eka Eka
    2 years ago

Hi

I would like to contact "malakaman" who made a comment on 8 December 2016 about Linea masters kitchen doors. I need a replacement white linea principle base cabinet door, left 550mm.

Do you have this to sell?

KITCHEN GALLERY
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

HI Guys,

This is Michaela from Kit Kitchens (incorporating Kitchen Gallery) We area family kitchen manufacturing business with over 40 years experience. We are completely custom made and make all our flat pack kitchens exactly the same as if we were to install them ourselves.

We use Australian made board for the cabinets. The drawers and hinges are quality European made hardware,which come with a lifetime warranty.

As we are fully custom made, you won't have the problem with those 'Standard Sizes' that many flat pack manufacturers have. We will manufacture the cabinets to suit your space with unlimited colour and material options.

To find out more information, please get in touch. We are more then happy to help you out.

Find out more here

eKitchens
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow, where has the time gone? following up to our post 18 months ago, a lot has changed since then...

What's New?

• We relocated our entire factory to 34 Haydock Street Forresdale (30km south of Perth)
    • Installed new Auto load/unload CNC to help with supply
    • Installed new edge bander custom built from Austria
    • We have orders being shipped interstate every 2 - 3 days
    • We have orders sent to N.Z & Christmas Island
    • Launched new showroom for Perth Customers 426 Scarborough Beach Road Osborne Park
    • Prices online have either remained the same or even decreased
    • Online Design software soon to be available online, stay tuned.

Products & Service

• Over 110 cabinets to customize
    • Flat Packed or Pre-Assembled
    • Custom made laminated benchtops
    • Order Online or In-store
    • Delivery all over Australia

Our business model is 'community focused' meaning the more people who use our system helps with our buying power and our costs come down, these savings are updated online for everyone to benefit.

eKitchens

(08) 9456 3108

sales@ekitchens.com.au

www.ekitchens.com.au

Check out our video

Brisbane Kitchen Renovations
    8 months ago

Give us a call and we can assist you in sourcing items - Kitchen Renovations Brisbane https://www.brisbanekitchenrenovationsqld.com/