Houzz Logo Print
cogra

Need ideas for my 'Bavarian style mission brown' river shack

cogra
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
River shack rebuilt in 1979 in a glorious setting,but really dark and sombre inside, any ideas on a inexpensive makeover? Many thanks.

Comments (13)

• cogra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Brandi Nash Hicks, by the lower breadboard do you mean the vertical wood panelling?
  • cogra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The 1970s wood panelling has a dark stain, what sort of primer or paint should I use, it seems to yellow stain surrounding white paint? Please help with any advice.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    You need kill primer first then paint ,take picture to your local paint store they can advise you,white will really clean it up and make it look newer for the least amount of money
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    That should read bead board,yes I think it would look good a gray washed in a pretty gray
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    You have soooo many lines and trims in the room painting it all out one color would help the eye rest ,then you could always go back later if you like and add different shades or tones. To the trim work if you so choose
  • Sharon Bouchard
    9 years ago
    Urgh, brown, My least favourite colour in the world. Whiten it all up!
    cogra thanked Sharon Bouchard
  • angelasusanm
    9 years ago
    Mission Brown should be expunged from all colour cards... it's a colour that kills. However there are some great browns out there (not that I would suggest any of them for this particular, low-ceilinged property. A good solid white (not pink- or yellow-based) all over and then stand back and work out where to take it next. Do you want to introduce colour in trims? Or just rely on the colour from rugs, furniture, cushions, paintings etc – you can make the most unlikely places sing.
  • houseplan123
    9 years ago
    painting it all white would look good but keeping some in black and going with a japanese theme could also work.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Japanese River shack??? That's a scary movie in the making ,lol
  • Jayk Newton
    9 years ago
    French doors, running as wide as possible. then, as much white as the walls will allow.
  • Jayk Newton
    9 years ago
    sorry, mines not exactly an inexpensive option. but would open the area up.
  • dfg34hjk
    9 years ago
    I agree lots of white paint, on the bead board, front door & trim. Stanley Coastal Living Cottage Collection has a gorgeous Sea Glass Palette that would look wonderful on the walls above the bead board. Seagrass rugs would add texture. Roman blinds in a complementary fabric to help soften things up. Enjoy!
    cogra thanked dfg34hjk