yveeb

What Colour Splash back ?????

YveeB
February 10, 2015
Need advice .... Walls are Taubmans "Indecision" bench top is caesarstone "ice snow", with cupboards in a semi-gloss. We have decided on a Glass Splashback, but are stuck on what colour to go with.

Gem'Appelle Designs
    For a sleek, modern look try Black Glass. It gives the appearance of a mirror, but doesn't double the 'mess' of the kitchen.
    YveeB thanked Gem'Appelle Designs
  • buildme83
    I agree with Jem but if you think it's too extreme than I would at least go a grey
    cearl11
    Buildme98

I agrees that colour gray
    cearl11
    Buildme83 sorry
  • YveeB
    Maybe a grey or silver will work, hubby was home today with the electricians and I've come home to multi colour changing led lights under the top cabinets ... narrows the colour spectrum a bit
    Gem'Appelle Designs
    With the multi-changing led lights, I would suggest silver.
  • Pazz
    I agree... would go for black... or a mirrored splashback would also reflect the outdoors and daylight from the window

The Library Building - Clapham · More Info
  • Ron Hensley
    Earthy, warm Dulux Namadji
  • kayesperling
    an alternative for you ..... I used very glossy and very large (600mm x 600mm) white tiles. Could easily use black tiles with black grout. Because they're on the wall, there's almost no visible grout lines and just about everybody has thought they are a glass splashback. Reflects the light ... and for approx. 20% of the cost.
  • kayesperling
    and there is typically 600mm between your workbench / stove top and the upper cupboards
  • Christine Denniss
    Grey or Silver Splashback
    elsker design
    Mirrored splash gets my vote too... But I do like the large tile suggestion
    Eclectic Interior Design
    Smoked mirror or if you want just glass, the clear painted white which gives the pretty Aqua colour.
  • areea
    I definitely would NOT go dark on the splashback. The area appears quite dark in the photos so I'd try an make it as light as possible. Think about during the day with no lights on? With the wall colour being earthy and the timber windows I'd go with a light orange for warmth and brightness. Or stay neutral with white and add colour with accessories.
  • areea
    Sorry photo didn't attach first time :)
  • scottevie
    To complement your wall colour 'indecision', what about an blue like Taubmans 'Night Palace'. Or if following advice to go lighter, then 'viola blue' or 'star trek' are complimentary.
  • Sandi
    Save me from grey!!! The whole world has gone grey... Grey cars, to match grey roads and grey skies, and to complete it all now we have 50 Shades of.....ANYTHING But.
    Chose a colour that you have used elsewhere. I agree with the comment not to go too dark - too difficult to keep clean.
    Sydney Wallpapering / Crème De La Crème Décor
    You should do something like this that I did for a client...see attached image.
    the wallpaper was covered with glass..Another great option is a custom waterproof wallpaper from
    http://www.wallanddeco.com/carta-da-parati-wallpaper-tapete-papier-peint.aspx?Id=34
  • brennz
    What a lovely space you have to play with ! I agree with the suggestion of plain glass giving a soft and light Aqua look. I wonder if the photo is true to colour suggesting a darker area ? Perhaps dark colours would only exaggerate that. I have a glass splash & it's so low maintainance it's a dream !! Good luck.
  • YveeB
    Pic was taken about 5am in the morning (hence lights were on) window faces South-East, so gets all the morning sun
  • rob_errichiello
    Have you considered a stone splash back same colour as your bench? Have done this before and looks fantastic. I have also done this in my new house with London Grey stone, simply magic. I find that dark glass will show heaps of streaks especially when you cook with steam etc. looks great in a display, just not practical. Either way, your kitchen is looking great.
  • rob_errichiello
    Pic of stone splash back
  • YveeB
    After lots of agonising discussions with hubby/friends/family we decided to go with the same colour as the walls, but the glass has a shimmer/sparkle through it to give it a lift .... we are very happy with the final look
  • Neryl Hollingsworth

Great to see what you did! Are you comfortable with it?

• YveeB
    Yes, we are happy, the colour changes throughout the day, depending on how much natural light comes in. The shimmer/sparkle through it isn't noticeable unless you are up and close. It blends in well with the surrounding rooms. We didn't want anything that made a huge statement, like a bold, bright colour ... that's not us. A bit more subtle we love it
  • YveeB
    FYI - this was the before , so not a huge change, more of an update
  • Pazz

Looks very nice @yveeb... well done with the colour choice... you made the right call... and thanks for the update :)

P.S. I note from your original post that you went for a semi gloss finish on the cabinetry, may I ask is it 2pac and what colour? We're having a bit of a dilemma at the moment :/

• YveeB
    Thank you, I have no idea. But 2pac sounds familiar, we went semi gloss as the room gets full sun in the morning and the glare from full gloss would be too much
  • YveeB
    Oops .... as far as I can remember it was an ice white or similar
  • Pazz

Thanks @yveeb... our kitchen layout is actually very similar to yours save that the window looks out to the covered alfresco so no direct as such... hence our dilemma gloss or semi gloss :/ but thanks again :)

• tianiev
    Yveeb, your old kitchen looks like mine only bigger, I love what you have done .
  • YveeB
    Thank you, was a hard thing to do with 3 children, but we survived
  • brennz
    Good choice, it looks great. Hope you're enjoying it now that it's all settled in.
    Creative Home Renovations
    Hi, have you considered smokey mirror?
    We did a full home build recently with the kitchen and bar both with smokey mirror splash backs. Looks great and gives lots of wow factor. Cleaning isn't so bad either. More pics on our projects page if you're interested.
    Good luck!
    Creative Home Plus
  • poodlemad

I HAVE CREME KITCHEN WOULD LARGE BLACK TILES SUIT FOR SPLASH BACK ,I HAVE BLACK FLOOR RUGS HELP PLEASE

Gem'Appelle Designs

Yes, large black tiles will work with a cream kitchen if you didn't want to go with the glass. This photo is of glass, but can give you the idea of black and cream. Good luck!

• poodlemad

THANKS LOOKS GREAT ,I HAVE BLACK KICK BOARDS AND WHITE FLOOR TILES THIS WILL BE IT