Houzz Logo Print
arealest8

Desparately need design ideas for my lounge room

Ange fromnzlivinginoz
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I have a very small lounge area which is combined with the dining area then kitchen.
I can't afford to change the dining set or sofas (creamy beige leather) or dining table/chairs any time soon.
We have downsized houses but not furniture, I just purchased the wall mural above the couch really want to keep it.
My front door opens immediately into the lounge area hard against the adjoining wall.
I have used a hall table for my large tv to take up less space, the piano next to it will be moved soon.
I can tiptoe and touch the oyster shaped light in the lounge, as I proceed to the dining area the roof gets higher so can't touch the one above the table or in the kitchen.
Please help me with an empty dead corner I mix it up by moving the one lamp table from the opposite sides of the couch, I have no idea what accessories/coushions can or should use? front of couch is a dark wood coffee table with browny/creamy rug underneath.
I have replaced the carpet after pulling up the original one to discover solid wood floors, however the lounge area is an add on and had a different floor surface so cheapest option was to re-carpet until I can afford to replace with something else. :)
I have 2 mirrors on opposite walls to make the space look bigger? I don't know if its working.
White horizontal venetian blinds on windows, one above couch usually kept closed due to being 4-5 mtrs from main road.
I have painted all walls right through with sandy day colour, don't really want to repaint.
Please help me with ideas.

Comments (57)

• Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    wuff, question on your tv mounted to wall, where are the cords? Plugged in, are they hidden in the wall? does look similar thanks for uploading that, I have considered mounting the tv on the wall. thanks sian, I thought I just had waay to much browns already, have been buying picking up cheap cushions of asstd colours trial and error, don't know anyone with cushions i can borrow, prob wait until I see a similar coloured couch/lounge with some amazing coushions.
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Our TV is mounted on the wall, we bought a cord tube thing from bunnings that is self adhesive backing and a cover clips into it. The tube thing is paintable so you just paint it same colour as wall. We are very pleased with result.
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked wuff
  • Related Discussions

Need help with my combustion fireplace in lounge room

Q

Comments (4)
    I also have a large log combustion heater in an old Queenslander. Unfortunately these ugly things were all the rage in the 80's, 90's. The later ones are a little easier in the eye. Mine is larger than most and has an 8inch diameter flue so does not look like a box with a stick coming out the top. Could be an idea to make a feature out of the flue. Have you seen those open metal mesh flue surrounds? They are a bit..."old fashioned" and are usually brown enamel, and never extended up to the ceiling...so looked like a bit of an excuse for safety. If you do not have pone of these..get one and paint it with a metal/heat resistant paint in a metallic paint of another colour...mabe copper? Or something that matches things in the lounge room...that might help. Other than that...maybe have a shiny chrome or stainless steel flue surround especially made...or get a plumber in to replace the flu with a stainless steel one or even a lighter colour enamel one if you can find such a thing these days.. I bought one that was meant for a combustion cooker of the same era as my heater..it was a golden cream and tan and looked lovely in my timber-walled house. Now for the wall behind the heater. These were usually made of something fireproof and unimaginative like bricks or tiles, were a real eyesore and dated a room terribly. An alternative might be a curved screen of mini orb in aluminium. MIne looks really nice with the new stainless steel flue..( a chimney fire burnt the enamel one I had!). The trick with these boxy ugly heaters is to give them a re-paint occasionally. Fireproof enamels are available in different colours. Hearth? Usually tiles or bricks and not pretty! A solution could be beaten copper or a simple stained timber frame on the floor in front of the heater filled with nice pebbles or even a couple of larger nice-looking ...or all large stones...all available from landscape places. Another idea, since your heater is in a coener, could be to have a decorative metal screen made to curve around the frot of the whole heater. These open fetwork screens seem to be a popular addition to rooms and set in dividing walls just for decoration. Such a decorative screen in front of the heater would not impede the flow of the warmth and you could have a woodbox in the same decorative metal near the heater. Such a screen would need to be moveable of course so you could put the wood in and clean out the ashes. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Help! Need ideas for our tiny lounge room!

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Zoe, Congratulations to you both on your 1st home purchase. Small designer furniture is what comes to mind. 2 seater sofa, lamp table, floor rug, small coffee table and a TV entertainment unit that fits the common wall at the kitchen end. Light coloured furniture & decor and the clever use of wall lighting will help make the room seem larger. The good thing is you can spend up big on the small amount of things you need to buy. Below are some images that I've found online that could be of interest to you. Links as follows: http://ynnu.net/tips-in-decorating-small-living-room-design-with-modern-furniture/elegant-grey-sofa-furniture-and-indoor-flowers-plant-in-small-living-room-decorating-design-ideas-2012 http://www.besthomedesigns.org/start-small-living-room-decorating-ideas/small-living-room-ideas/ http://abanthome.com/living-rooms-ideas-for-small-space/ http://www.a-v-designs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Very-Small-Living-Room-Ideas-66.jpg
    ...See More

need help with my lounge room

Q

Comments (14)
    Could also change side table to a lighter one (circular?) and place it between chair and sofa. Is there an electrical outlet within easy reach so lamp could be placed on it as well? Seems it would be better for reading if next to a seat. I feel the heaviness of the coffee and lamp tables darken the room, esp as your lounge suite leather is dark. What is the wall colour of this room, and are you thinking to change it to something lighter? Am also thinking alarge area rug for your lounge area?
    ...See More

Please help design my lounge room!

Q

Comments (60)
    I wouldn't give up on doing something about those downlights. Either remove at least half of them or paint the ceiling darker to hide them. They make the room look as if it has an illness and your ceilings are high enough to tolerate the colour. In order to make your room suit you, work out how you use it most and make " rooms" with your furniture. It has to suit your lifestyle and your taste. Remember furniture doesn't need to be against a wall. Personally I hate texture. I don't like the look of it or the feel of it, so I don't use it and I don't care what suits other people. You need to be able to sit in your room and wherever you look should please your eye. I think the curtains are a good idea, but they needn't be sheer. If they are a solid plain colour you can pull them back by day unless you need them to keep the sun out and close them at night for privacy. If you don't need curtains and you just want the doors to look better then go for sheers. Good luck. Trial and error will help you sort it out.
    ...See More
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Ps not sure if my cushions are you thing but they were $35 from a moroccan - Indian themed shop, including the insert
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Pps blind was custom made from spotlight when they had a 40% off custom blinds and shutters. I am also very happy with them. They were fitted but you can choose to fit them yourselves. They come and do a free measure and quote
  • chippyadams
    9 years ago
    well it is a very sad room, dark and over-crowded - suggest you give the couches away and buy something slim, and modern even retro - 70,s (second-hand might be an option) - white or cream blind on window with terylene also preferably white or creme inside room - replace cabinet under TV - with longer one (or one that will look like an extension of the current one and butt them together - place almost to end of window-wall (possibly one and half feet away from wall and it should extend to the distance the planter is now standing ( lovely plant and planter could sit up on the longer sideboard same distance as now sitting - and have all furniture in unison. Rug should be complimentary to the couch may be something to lighten up room - it all depends on what colour couch you get - and I am sure you could manage a nice colour but keep patterns away the room is too small.
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked chippyadams
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    HI again Ange, I love your mirror, could you paint it white (the timber part). It all takes time. Mirrors help to reflect the light and can expand the sense of space. I have been reading about Annie Sloan chalk paint, sounds pretty amazing, I am going to paint the dark coloured tv cabinet in my lounge and the small display cabinet white or another pale colour. I can't buy the paint where I live so have to wait until I get to Perth to purchase some
  • neotoma
    9 years ago
    Btw, are you handy with a sewing machine (or do you know anyone who is? Because if they were my sofas and changing them isn't an option, I'd be looking at running up some loose over-covers in a light fabric. I think that and a lighter rug would make an immense difference to that end of the room.
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked neotoma
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    chippyadams, not sure if you were making suggestions for me or wuff? I was thinking, uuummmm I would give it away if I hadn't paid $3000 for the settes and recliner, but seeing as we haven't got a planter I assume you are giving wuff some tips?
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again for the comments, I am certainly taking it all on board, and trying to find other peoples makeovers similar to gauge ideas.
    I can sew, I like the tshirt idea too, and I'm going to look at the chalk paint.
    I have started an ideas book as well so hopefully this will help me...I think I may be watching too much 'the block' and 'selling homes australia' and see how easy they make it look when they do makeovers :) thanks again.. the funny thing is I have helped others with their interior looks and just worked with what they had by simply moving furniture/accessories with successful outcomes, then yesterday my neighbour has asked me to come help her with her lounge & dining area, I just can't seem to pull mine together...yet, again thanks
    I tried pulling in white furniture to make the room look bigger/brighter, I started with a tv unit, with a mind to pick up matching pieces as I go, the unit looked good but it looked really odd with the dark wood table/chairs and piano so is now going
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    I am addicted to those shows.
  • buffpoint
    9 years ago
    Hi Ange, just another opinion to throw into the mix....I would mirror reverse your current set up, sell the single chair and replace it with a fabric chair, either patterned or plain, buy something with a bit of colour but something that won't date. Use soft semi sheer side drops on the windows which start at the ceiling and go to the floor this will add height the room with low ceilings, make sure they blend with the furniture (don't use heavy drapes). Add an oversize textured rug and a glass coffee table and use the one you have as a TV table centered in front of the small lounge. Place a lamp on the small side table for mood lighting. Cushions on a leather lounge do not work well as they have a tendency to slide around so use accessories to brighten up the room.
  • buffpoint
    9 years ago
    Ange, I'm trying to add a floor plan to this message.......Linda
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked buffpoint
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    9 years ago
    Have you thought of taking out the single seater lounge chair and having the 2 seater and 3 seater positioned in a mild V in front of the TV? The use of the 3 seats is really too much for the area.
    Or even changing the position of the 2 seater with the single seater so that the 2 areas are broken up better?
    The 2 seater directly by the front door is not good to walk in on - I would try and move this elsewhere.
    A skylight would let more light into this part of the room also.
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked Timandra Design & Landscaping
  • mykky48
    9 years ago
    Tint all those windows!!....no one can see in during the day and there's the added benefit of reflecting the heat out in summer. The blinds can then be pulled up to the top during the day to allow more light to lift the room and your spirits.
    Is that stripey wallpaper?...paint it the same colour as the dining area as it draws the eye to the low ceiling and emphasises how narrow the room is.
    Crank up the sewing machine and make yourself some lovely lush drapes to hang from under the cornice to brush the floor, privacy and elegance in the evening! I'd be toning in with the wall colour no pattern but with a bit of texture for some lush. Is it possible to shunt the piano and the 2 seater into another room with that shaggy rug? A large enough to butt up to both couches all-over pattern Persian-type rug with a glass coffee table and scatter cushions picking up colours from the rug will lift that area and give it some oomph. A looks- like-bubbles-of-glass standard lamp in the corner with large upside down bucket satin lamp-shade, centre the 2-seater under that window, a large landscape shape picture where your mural is now is about all you need there except give serious thought to hanging the tv on the wall. Then the lounge area won't look like an over-stuffed waiting room/dumping ground for large pieces of furniture but give you the inviting area you're needing.
    Your mural can get hung vertically under the aircon unit, give the cute but-looks-wrong-there ghost mirror the white paint spray treatment if possible (or not!) and hang it in the hall, bedroom or jazz up your laundry with it!
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked mykky48
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Hey Ange, don't forget to show us the updates in time
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much everyone for all the comments, I am taking it all in, so glad I posted here, I have been driving my family carazy for months with all the moving stuff around, in and out of different rooms so I have definitely tried so many different ways of re-arranging the furniture, haven't done the V shape yet, I have now reverted back to doing midnight ninja furniture moves while everyone sleeps. The lounge/dining is a type of old interlocking wooden panels that I have painted all the same colour, might be why it looks like stripe wallpaper?
    Because the lounge is so narrow I really can only put the 3str against the wall it's on, if I move the 2 seater centre to the window it will mean I move the 3str to the opposite wall which has the door opening onto the arm of the couch. I love the idea of the single fabric chair and have actually been looking, hopefully get to look at some sheer fabric this weekend as well, I tried the tv on the small table but meant I had to put the dvd/foxbox on the floor so why I used the hall table in the meantime and cut some shelves to sit on the inside temporarily, just haven't stained them to match but is temp. will post pics, just not sure when it will be done?
    I had been over time moving stuff out of the lounge/dining to clear clutter way before I posted my pics for help, over the weekend had a random relapse and pulled stuff back out of to go boxes, when my girl said to me "mum why is our house getting empty, are we moving?" So now I am sort of back where I started with eclectic, mismatched allsorts of colours and random stuff in the lounge/dining :) on the lookout for colourful accessories, oh and going to look what a bubble lamp is. off to go try some of the ideas suggested above.
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Spotlight has good ready to hang sheers ....you just have to burrow through, it may take a few visits. I also think you can shop on line
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    any suggestions welcome if I should use any of these prints in here? how/where?
    (I have just sat them on the 3 str to indicate size)
    I def think the sheers will help, the room is really bright but I keep the blinds closed most of the time because it is so sunny/bright. I did the V arrangement last night, didn't work, I tried the other ways but it blocks the flow so put it back. I think I will move the mural above the couch, I pulled some prints from other rooms trialling how they look in the lounge/dining, found some old throws in storage (again brown) yikes I must just have a thing for browns? I turned the rug around but it is too narrow as well so put it back.
    I moved the lamp table to the other corner and put some random vases on it for now.
    picked up a cheapy orange pot plant for colour, found some coushions don't know about these though, think I am being too safe they don't work, all good haven't broke the bank
    moved the piano further down opposite the dining table and took the white unit out.
    I still like the feel of open space but not empty or cluttered if that makes sense.
    I was politely asked if I could leave the recliner in here for M.M otherwise the TV and fox will have to follow it. hehehe ok so it stays...for now? Thanks for keeping the suggestions going.
    oh I am going to get a quote for window tinting.
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    suggestions? if I should use any of these, actually the red one is from the other end near the dining table other 2 are from other rooms.
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    I like the art idea, I am not sure which one I like the best. Either the big blue or the taupe. I like your collection in the corner with the red vase. Styling with our small room is quite tricky, if we all had endless budgets we could all be super stylish. My room is very light and bright as well, just poor lighting in my pic, I didn't expect such an insult from one of the postings above, but I guess if you put up a pic gotta take it!!! Our chairs were expensive as well and I am not changing them, just trying to style with them the best I can . Good work, we have moved our room around countless times....I don't think I can ask for help again for a w hole at least.
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    your not wrong wuff, I don't want to pay a fortune for interior accessories when seasons change so does the mood and style of things, I had a black leather couch before this one as well so when I moved here which is way smaller than than the previous house I should have chosen something like this picture attached. but we live and learn, the vases I packed away ready to garage sale them as they were more suited to the other lounge but pulled them out of storage, a friend told me it's easier and cheaper to change accessories such as pics, coushions, vases, rugs, etc with the seasons than it is to change larger more expensive items.
    The vases in the corner I picked up in random places, the tall black one the length of my leg was $10 at the markets, the brown/cream stripey one was $15 on special from Villa9? and the red one $19 from overflow, I found some large necklace pieces and put them on the vases as I seen a similar look done on a vase at Villa9 selling for $180.
    I love markets and look out for arty pieces I like, love these ones but they just don't seem to be the right size for the areas? and not so good at putting it together.
    I moved my larger wood cabinets to the garage as well hoping to one day rejig the handles and cupboards and whitewash them to bring them back in and replace with the darker wood, all takes time, this houzz is giving me some good ideas to feed off and definitely taking all the comments on board.
    There are probably hundreds of other people with the same dilemma as ours.
    I like that Shayna Blaze on selling houses, she has a real knack of pulling pieces together, but again one coushion is worth a min of $100 and she might use up to 5 sometimes, thats a fair chunk of change, and Dea and Daz on the block, she is really good with pulling it together, I suggested to my neighbour to look at swapping items cause she loves eclectic and antique stuff and I have a few nice pieces in my garage but shes a hoarder bless her and can't let go of stuff.
    Anyways how are you going with your lounge? did you try the unit butted up against the wall suggestion?
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    here's a close up of the corner vases for some ideas, that dried red flower thingy was from a xmas flower bouquet, the fresh ones died and these I just recycled cause I liked the colour.
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    No I didn't change anything, my next project is to paint the TV unit and the display cabinet white with Annie Sloan chalk paint, but our daughters wedding is early April so just have to wait. I will try and post a lighter photo of my lounge, we moved from 200 to 130 sq metre home. So we have also given away and sold and donated lots of furniture. I actually love our seats in front of TV they are extremely comfortable. I watch dee like a hawk on the block, did you see the plain blue cushion for $500, eek. ...pics of my 'sad dark little room' in the light. The window faces due east so very light in the mornings . Oh well we only have to please ourselves. The best thing about our down size, It only takes about 2-3 hours to give it a really good clean.
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/2055489

Maybe this photo, I find visuals always help for me!
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked Helenscolour
  • E A
    9 years ago
    Hi, I agree a piece of the lounge has to go. Maybe sell the two seater? Then move the single under the window. Use two of the dining chairs as occasional chairs for the lounge. One where single lounge is now and one on wall next to TVs closest to front door. This will give you room to move at the dining table. Is it possible to turn the dining table around and even push one end up against the dining window? This would stop the corridor effect and connect it more to the kitchen. Sell the coffee table (too high and bulky) and add a small round coffee table (see photo above) not centred but towards the dining end of the lounge (leaving plenty of legroom for the single chair)+ put a side table next to it in the corner for drinks and a lamp (again round like in the photo). You already have red accents. I would go with further red and taupe in cushions, lamp, vase or fruit bowl for dining table. It's tight, get everything else off the surfaces and into that storage unit. Have fun.
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked E A
  • gmpbeverley
    9 years ago
    Check out Tara Dennis of Better homes And Gardens. She recently did a beige room makeover using owners furniture. MoU may like her,ideas.
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked gmpbeverley
  • susan_66
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Umm . . . I know I'm late to the discussion but I think maybe one of the things you might think about is making an 'entry' area as distinct from the rest of the room. Is is possible to move the two seater to the opposite space (so it faces the window, but is between the lounge and dining areas? (Perhaps the chair then moves in front of the window and three seater along towards the window a bit.) The a slimline table on the lounge side of the entry door (maybe with a plant on it) . . . somewhere to dump keys, mail etc, and a physical barrier then between the entry and the rest of the room. Doesn't have to be a table, maybe some skinny bookshelves - but I'm thinking something that is open, rather than closed on one side. Some coathooks on the wall just along from the door to also say 'entry area'? And maybe a rectangular mat extending in from the doorway down your new 'hallway'. If you are able to move the tv more towards the dining area once the piano goes, that might also help.

I have to say, I do admire you for getting your piano in! It's a shame you have to move it at all. Might be interesting if some creative types here start with piano rather than the lounges . . .
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked susan_66
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Susan for the input, never too late, I have been so busy with studies and work I have only managed to remove the mural above the 3str and pick up 2 colourful cushions from a recent trip back to NZ.
    I removed the tall hall table from under the TV to lower it (so may be able to utilise this as you suggested) and used the coffee table for the TV and added a shelf for the DVD and foxtel boxes. this part of our lounge is a funny little add on to the dining room. I purchased some nets similar colour to the walls beige/sandy day colour but now it's looks kind of dirty-ish? I did try moving the furniture the way you suggested but the width of the lounge is really small. If I move anything along there is a small wall frame sticking out due to the add on which stops it being moved, definitely will give it another go though. The piano is staying opposite the table/chairs so has been moved further along towards the kitchen. I have moved some eclectic bits and pieces collected over the years back into the area and if feels much more homely. (work in progress) any input is appreciated
  • mykky48
    8 years ago
    I think the net curtaining is too flimsy to balance the leather furniture, something more like a slubbed sateen would give you the luxe look and cosy up the room especially now winter is looming....still think the light colour of the walls would work best. Keep on twitching your stuff around ....... your audience on Houzz await the reveal!!!
    Ange fromnzlivinginoz thanked mykky48
  • PRO
    OmegaLED lights Pty Ltd
    8 years ago
    I think everyone has given a really good input, I can suggest something in regards to lightning, you can use warm white color lights and add dimmable factor to it so it will match the decor and color of the room.
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh gosh, it has been nearly a year since I asked for advice, I have certainly been to-ing and fro-ing between a lot of changes. I finally stripped the dark stain of my tv/hall table, the coffee table, brought a new cheap mango wood tv unit to match, tried living with it all for a few months, but it just still didn't work? I ended up selling them all and the orange mirror, and made enough to buy a used matching (oversized) TV cabinet, buffet and coffee & lamp table, yes it is darkish wood, I just can't seem to stay away from it? I turned my carpet on an angle which kind of looks pretty good I thought? and just went all out by introducing things I had boxed up back into the area, random things I like and have collected or been given. I did try to go minimalist but it just lacked the feel of someone lives here? I brought some nets and copper rods on sale just to get some privacy first up. I have actually put more furniture than we had in the same space and it has actually made our lounge look bigger? not smaller? The TV no longer dominates the lounge with an oversized unit and eclectic wall decos behind it. We put the Piano in the garage, but I will bring it back in later? we hung a new door and picked up a couple of bright cushions. The dining area is a bit of a mess at the moment with office stuff strewn everywhere, so I will post an update pic when I tidy it away. All I want to do now is change the light fixtures to add some drama to the areas, especially over the dining table.

• Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

not sure why I can't upload pics again?

• wuff
    8 years ago

Good to hear from you Ange, I am still moving things around also, I have painted furniture added taken away. All fun ..maybe our sad dark little rooms make us happy :) !

• Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looking forward to seeing your pics too wuff.

I really wanted to move away from the dark wood and tried a few different up-cycled pieces as well but reverted back.

I remember watching a programme home makeover and they had similar furniture to me now, and the person doing the makeover said, "it's so dated" put me off : )

I recently watched a different home reno' programme and the comment was "choose your style? or what you like and commit to it" that homeowner reminded me of me?

They had so many different styles going on it was; words from memory? "an assault on the eyes"

I am sure it may have been Shayna Blaze? So after a lot of watching the block and nearly every home reno/makeover programme they have on lifestyle channel and trawling online ideas, I have to concede to settle for a while to let the family relax :)

ahh I finally just figured out how to upload them, I have to put them in the houzz album first then choose insert

• Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• mykky48
    8 years ago

Well done Ange, now it does not look like a sad and boring waiting room. So much more inviting and now with the piano gracing the garage maybe you could multi-purpose that area as a mushroom cum woman cave and leave the car on the drive!!

• acharyaanisha
    8 years ago
    Hi Ange, just looked at your before pictures and comparing it to the after pictures..you have created a more open and bright space. .. Great job!
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. added note: I ended up re-painting all the walls light grey undertone. The sandy day colour and the wood furniture together made the pinkish undertone come out on the walls and it kind of appeared to make the walls look dirty?

• acharyaanisha
    8 years ago
    I always like light grey on walls.. It's hard to see colours well in pictures but I don't see the pink undertone I don't think it looks dirty.. I like that other big canvas you had with blue and browns in it.. Did you try this and see how it looks? A pendant light above the dining would definitely look nice..
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did try the larger print on just about every wall in the lounge, it felt far to large to hang above the couch taking up most of that wall and felt like it was dominating the space? everything else looked odd and out of scale?

I had so many holes in my walls after I tried so many different places, I ended up hanging it in the hallway, gave me a reason to repaint again.

The pinkness shows more in the first before pics.

I definitely want a pendant light above the dining table, just can't decide what? there are so many out there to choose from.

• KK1000
    8 years ago
    It seems you like heavy furniture, it's making the place look smaller then it is. The red mirror is out of place ,wrong style, give it to somebody it was in 20 years ago. Just change your coffee table for all glass version and add a tripod lamp in the corner,the size and colour of the shade is a deal breaker. Consult people in the shop, take your photos with you when are shopping and get couple of cushions to match lampshade .
  • KK1000
    8 years ago
    PS. When you are finished with living room you might want to get a pendant light above the dining table not a very heavy design. Usually I look at designer light fixtures and when I find what I like I copy all the specifications and then I hunt for a good replica, I can't afford original. You can do the same for a floor lamp. Johnatan Adler has nice lamps just to get an idea.
  • KK1000
    8 years ago
    Ha,ha I didn't realise it was an old post ,good job.
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Oskuee, it gets very tricky watching post dates etc. Ange has just done a great job on another post with her front patio, also you can see some updates on her living room, it is all fun here.
  • Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

it's ok Oskuee, I still haven't really finished the lounge, really?
    this is a great website, I can refer back to comments and advice for future reference as well.
    I definitely want to find a nice light/s for over the table, I just don't know what will look good, I have been scouring houzz and a few other sites trying to find something that might suit and perhaps improvise with as well with a similar/replica?
    I still have a couple of pieces by the dining table I want to sell or swap? as I had my eye on a beautiful 2mtr long 1mtr high buffet, but for $3000+ (perfect dimensions and look) Which hides all the dishes and glasses and a built in hidden wine rack : )
    I couldn't justify spending that much so have an empty space waiting for something to come along?
    I have even considered trying to build my own? but don't want it to look banged up either? hehehe

• Ange fromnzlivinginoz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

gosh and thanks wuff, scrolling back through the advice has been a great refresher, time flies that's for sure.
    There are some beautiful homes on this site that's for sure, I love being able to check out what others around the world do to make a house a home especially with furniture and accessories.
    I never really thought about lighting being important but now, realize the lighting is the cherry on the top and helps to finish a home and/or create a sense of drama/mood?

• KK1000
    8 years ago
    Hi it's me again, I see you are looking for a long buffet, I found something like that in Shack furniture store. I got two 1m wide buffets and put them side by side, they look like one but when I want a change I can separate them and use them elsewhere. Have a look it will cost you around$1500.
  • KK1000
    8 years ago
    As far as pendant goes have a look at Crown minor pendant, don't worry about price if you like it I will tell you where to get it for a fraction of the original price.
  • Kay Vickers
    7 years ago

Hi, I would paint the room Dulux Antique White, right through, go to a recycling centre (tip shop) and buy a mirror door from someone else's wardrobe renovation, I got one recently for $20, and put a timber architrave frame around it. Mount it on the wall above the 3 seater sofa, swap the position of the 2 seater sofa to where the single chair is and you will create a lounge, dining space that is defined and will look so much bigger with the large mirror on the wall. Take the smaller mirror down, and use it in another area. Put your TV on a lower table so it is not so intrusive in the room and put the dining table right under the window the shortest end against the wall if you don't have to have six people at it all the time. Cheers, Kay