Houzz Logo Print
laura_green2040777

Help I bought an avocado lounge!

Laura
9 years ago
Hi all,
Tips on complementary colours please.
My husband and I needed a new lounge and we have a tight budget. Found a lovely modern green leather one we couldn't afford ( he loved the green) so when we were offered the discounted floor stock we bought it. Problem is in my modern white house it looks avocado! I thought it was more Apple/lime in shop.
Photo 1 -at home photo 2 - in shop.

Comments (40)

• mldesign0401
    9 years ago
    Aubergene, similar strength to the cushion in front of shot.
    The trick is to incorporate it into the interior, at he moment it is in stark contrast, so lessen that impression by including greens, all shes in artwork, like the showroom, the two large prints on white walls look fine. Pull the wall colour down onto the sofa, some scatters or a floor rug both, and push up the sofa colour around the room, onto walls either in art.
    Laura thanked mldesign0401
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    It looks like a beautiful sofa, enjoy it
    Laura thanked wuff
  • Related Discussions

We have just bought a red lounge suite and need help with accessories

Q

Comments (55)
    Hi AnAhitA Nazari, I totally agree. I actually don't intend to keep the couch on that wall, it just happens to be there due to the renos we are doing at the moment. I thought one of the red chairs under that print on an angle would be better and maybe a little table with a lamp on it? I can't change the colour of the walls as we have just finished painting it so I'm stuck with it. The room is part of a big room which has a partition 5ft wall separating it from the dining room. I'm thinking of putting the sofa on that wall and the other chair on its right hand side. As for the furniture in that room I do realise it's not a great choice but they have lots of memories to me so once again I'm stuck with them lol
    ...See More

Green couch from nick scali

Q

Comments (2)
    See this discussion for some great ideas https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/help-i-bought-an-avocado-lounge-dsvw-vd~2879842?n=1
    ...See More

Need help with lounge room

Q

Comments (6)
    Go neutral. I don't know your style but here are some ideas. Buy some big wide striped wallpaper and attach it to the wall behind the sofa. You Can either choose horisontal stripes or vertikal stripes. If you can't find the right wall paper you Can paint the wall in two different color. big wall paper coved canvases makes a room appear bigger. If you dont want the paint the wall. This will make the room mor cohisive. Over the sofa you Can hang a round mirror to make the room more cozy. Some Choose some big transperant lamps. To the exterior go brown. Check out IKEA website. Play around whit Some bright pattened pillow - maybe matching to the wallpaper. You Can allways Continue to redecorate with pillows, curtains, and maybe buy an ottoman for mor seating. Here are some pictures for inspiration
    ...See More

L-shaped lounge room/dining room - help please!

Q

Comments (5)
    You could flip the living 90 degrees to the left, making the tv along that longest wall but aligned more left obviously. Depending on how much you wanted to spend, you could invest in joinery which incorporates the tv and books, which then also adds massive amounts of storage. Could be too long of a space for this set up, but stretched out a little with a nice rug it could work well :) please show us pics when you decide!
    ...See More
  • debbygearon
    9 years ago
    I would dye it, very easy to do as long as you go a darker color. Plenty of videos online showing how it is done - check out leathermagic.com. Very handy when you have kid or pets as leather is not as indestructible as people think.

If you still want the color then I suggest a few multi colored throws that incorporate wine, gold, navy into your scheme with co-ordinating pillows. Indian prints will look nicest plus you might find an area rug similar which would compliment your furniture.
    Laura thanked debbygearon
  • houscom
    9 years ago
    It does look good how it's been staged in the shop - agree with the above post, blacks, dark browns heading to aubergines, not too grey though, definitely not cold greys, but warm greys like a mushroom grey, but dark. Those parrot reprints in the store are brilliant as they have a dark tropical green in them and the sepia hues making them look vintage and then the darker frames merging into the prints. I also think the hint of metal and glass in the coffee tables brings a lightness to the space (not sure about the silver thought, a more golden hint or brass but not yellow brass, maybe better). Using a a wood table with rusty? (looking) Brown vintage metal trims may look good too, you could revamp and old dinning room table, cut off the legs, take of the shiny varnish, so it has a raw look, maybe seal with a mat varnish, some old draw pulls if it has draws in it, add other old metal trims?
    Maybe thinking of a theme is the way to go - to help break the project down, do you make the space a little bit vintage?, jungle retreat?, but blur the boundaries, so either could apply. Stay away from pop art and seventies flower power.
    Oh and a nice soft, textural throw, with earthy colours, browns aubergines, hint of purple, hidden soft mushroom bone tones! Yes complimenting bone rug too! Hope this helps.
    Laura thanked houscom
  • blueskies60
    9 years ago
    Your floor and wall colour at home look so similar to the shops; it must have been a nasty shock to get that beautiful green lounge home and have it change like this. I would try a white/cream rug like the one in the store, and consider different types of lighting to see if that is affecting the colour. Agree with others that accessories might help. If you have time and money (and energy) you could try different wall paint colours too.
    Laura thanked blueskies60
  • J9 B
    9 years ago
    Depends what look you want. I would go for poppy cushions with bits of the green in them. Throw rug over the backs. Same color been vases or bowls on a table. A large print with the green in it. The cushions or print would allow you to add another colour by picking one of the colours in them. And a nice for rug.
    Laura thanked J9 B
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think the difference has a lot to do with lighting. Try bringing up the colour with well-placed lamps and something light on the floor to reflect brightness back up.
    Laura thanked User
  • brennz
    9 years ago
    It's a lovely couch, it just stands out a lot in a very neutral room. Perhaps some linen coloured TEXTURED cushions, art & a throw or rug will make it look more settled in the room. Once it's connected to the room you'll love it. Cheers
    Laura thanked brennz
  • houscom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Agree not too much green, the reason the parrot prints work well is there is not a huge amount of a bright artificial green, it's more subdued, it's a green from nature, exotic botanical prints will do the same, flowers, fruits, they'll have subtle colours, maybe subdued reds and yellows, and most likely some natural green to. Re the colour wheel - The yellow, red and green when mixed will make a brown, so browns, fawns, bone, purples, aubergine, navy will work. Yes to all the lighting suggestions and the need for lamps for interest but also because to some degree you can minipulate the lighting.
    Stay natural not too bright and gaudy. G'luck and have fun!!
    Laura thanked houscom
  • Connie
    9 years ago
    try changing your lighbulbs...that can make a huge difference. i believe some cast a yellow light, and others a blue light? and then what everyone else says. it looks great.....
    Laura thanked Connie
  • portpiro
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't introduce any more green in the room except plants. House plants like easy to grow large white flowering spathiphyllum in white pots. I stand mine in glass or plastic bowls inside their pots and keep the water in the bowls topped up. That way you can't over water in my experience. I would go for lots of other natural colour in beige and white to balance out all that green eg rug, cushions throw. And then add large paintings or prints in bright primary colours. What you need to do is achieve balance between this large green object and the rest of the room which is why I would only put colour on the walls.
    Laura thanked portpiro
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago

Ideas to neutralize your avocado (actually by working with adjacent colours on the colour wheel you don't ramp up the contrast)

- I think you may wish to go on softer hues if you can. I like textural and creamy as a way of softening the colour and texture:

7th Avenue Parkway Contemporary Remodel · More Info

Puri-Punian Residence, San Francisco, CA · More Info

Weyand Residence · More Info

Laura thanked ASVInteriors
  • Carmel Reid
    9 years ago
    It's all in the lighting. But either way, the green is lovely.
    Laura thanked Carmel Reid
  • ronandkerri19
    9 years ago
    I think the green lounge just needs some colourful cushions to brighten it up. Also some accessories in matching colours around the room and maybe something on the wall with all the colours in it. Goodluck you will be able to make it what you want. It's a matter of what you like yourselves.
    Laura thanked ronandkerri19
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Look at today's post aus Houzz, ' British Houzz...warehouse', has a green sofa in a neutral room...looks pretty good to me.
    Laura thanked wuff
  • Laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice people, Its overwhelming and lovely. Interestingly when I turned the LED lights on at night I liked the colour again. It must bring out the blues more. Currently shopping for a rug (thinking Aubergine or blacks) and experimenting with everything in my house to find the right colour. After 2 days I am so in love with the comfort that the colour matters less. I am on a waiting list for a fiddle leaf fig. I think that will be all the additional green I'll need.
  • KK1000
    9 years ago
    Love the colour such a nice change from all the beige sofas we see on Houuzz, green goes with everything just look out in the garden , add a bit of black to ground it . Experiment with cushions and enjoy it.
  • houscom
    9 years ago
    It looks a very comfortable and good quality lounge, sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come.
  • Diana De Vries
    9 years ago
    Love the colour but yes, it's a bit tricky to accessorize with it. Google "green sofas & living rooms" and check out the images for ideas and inspiration.
    Many colours go well with green so look around and see what takes your fancy.
    Some bright cushions and a new rug would also bring it to life. Ikea have some great cushions and rugs at reasonable prices....
  • Catherine Vest-Gerdtz
    9 years ago
    I love the colour, embrace the colour, lots of cushions, even make them yourself.
  • louiselovesblue
    9 years ago
    You must love it if you bought it, so my first thought was pink.. if it works for you & your family!
  • louiselovesblue
    9 years ago
    my second thought, after pink, was yellow..
  • louiselovesblue
    9 years ago
    and some more yellow..
  • louiselovesblue
    9 years ago
    yellow is such a happy & also gender neutral colour, and there's so much to choose from at the moment! Tips on keeping the cost down: buy new covers for existing cushions, if you're handy with the sewing machine there's always making your own, repainting existing furniture. You have a lovely home & family and I'm sure in time you'll become accustomed to your avocado sofa!
  • robbynimmo
    9 years ago
    I am Australian, living in HK , where it is really hot in the summer, I have a neutral floor tile and white walls, and a bamboo wallpaper feature wall. For winter, when it is cool and the xmas tree is up, I change the paintings, throws and cushions to a red colour, then a few months later when it heats up in May I go back to a green like your sofa. It goes really well with the tropical strelitzia on hte balcony. This greet works really well with a tropical look , so I suggest adding some rattan textures to accessories, a bamboo feature wall, and bringing this tropical look in like when your couch couch was in the showroom. I even have a chinese small cabinet in green that I will try to post for you.
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/1729481
    I agree with others that the walls are too bright for the sofa colour.
    I have attached a colour option that I think is a lovely combination. If you bring these colours around the green it will settle in to the room. Hope you like...sorry but I think you will have to paint!
  • lydia1144
    9 years ago
    Google the site colour seeds and spend some time there. My immediate reaction is deep aqua.
  • lydia1144
    9 years ago
    Adding to my comment yesterday, Benjamin Moore colours around marine blue would be a possibility.
  • houscom
    9 years ago

Hi Laura, had a small epiphany re colours to go with your couch - copper!

Also while I get the impression your more modern than traditional although the clock in the background says traditional, what about some copper accessories such as the geometrical pieces that are currently popular e.g. terrariums, etc, Can't help but think these could lead to an industrial feel, - Oh we're back to vintage! wood and metal trims. Hope its all coming together. Cheers - Love to see some pictures as you progress - in time

• Laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love copper! In fact I found a magnificent copper lamp on overstock... Too expensive and some beautiful copper candle holders (waiting for my birthday) and another copper candleholder that is in Finland. I'm sure if I look closer to home that's a great option. My taste is modern/Scandi my husbands is traditional so we have a mixture. Ive shortlisted some rugs. Will take pictures when I make progress.
  • Laura
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So here is an update. Couldn't find the right colour in the shops and as always eBay delivered. Overlocked Axminster carpet in aubergine. Next step is the cushions. I'm thinking blue and taupe.
  • Tilly
    8 years ago
    Lovely couch, you did well. Now you need to add very small hints of the green around the room.
    Get colourful cushions that only have the smallest amount of that colour in them, maybe only on one. (Kas cushions are lovely)
    Artwork again, with only a small amount of green. By introducing more colours it will blend in. A rug would look good, I'd probably look in the Browns, no green.
    Use Browns oranges, warm colours.
    You will only need a few things around the room, and only small amounts to tie it in the green.
  • houscom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    You'll find small hints of green, aubergines, subtle reds and lemony greens too through using succulent plants. Possibly housed in metal/glass terrariums or the very nice glass wood combos that are around at the moment - even a glass fish bowl! Also the bonus is succulents are very easy to grow. They have a waxy surface that will look good with the leather look of your couches. Maybe on that raw wood with metal trimmed coffee table!
  • PRO
    Chesterfield House
    8 years ago
    at the end of the day if you wish to change the colour you can... But never try this yourself on new leather as you need to be able to remove the top coat and so on. But similar to recolouring a painted car. contact info@fibrenew.com.au they have Contacts in most cities around Oz. :)
  • fianou
    8 years ago
    I like the sofa, just change the cushions! Some florals with pinks and peaches will tone down the green and make it seem less avocadoey.
  • fianou
    8 years ago
    I also think some botanical prints or wall hangings on the wall and some pot plants could help balance the sofa... add more green into the room in general
  • silvana_acevska
    8 years ago
    Remove that clock from the wall it doesn't suit the place

Couches are good quality

Maybe sell them on eBay and buy new ones
  • PRO
    Bodo Boards
    8 years ago

Hi Laura

Given the colours in your living room, it seems that you like a neutral and natural palette, which is why the green has given you a bit of a shock!

Fear not, you can totally make this work :)

Why dont you consider going for a new and emerging style - Modern Western.

You can team rustic timbers, Aztec patterns and tanned leathers to bring in a neutral and natural scheme, but also bring your couch into sync with everything else.

Have a look at Bodos Modern Western concepts, which include paint, materials and products to bring your home and your new couch to life! You can instantly download for all of the information to get started..

We will be releasing our home concepts very soon, which can offer further information on soft furnishings and decorating.

http://bodoboards.com.au/collections/modern-western

One of our Bodo customers recently matched a similar green to your couch with these neutral Aztec patterns, just to give you an idea.

Good Luck!

• Luke Buckle
    7 years ago

Hi,

You sure had a lot of feedback on this problem with your avocado lounge. It would be great to see what you decided to compliment it within your living room. Can you upload another photo?