Houzz Logo Print
cjcash

New kitchen design dilemma

cjcash
9 years ago
Hi, I'm so excited to be planning our home extension after 9 long years of talking about it! Part of the extension will include an open plan kitchen/dining/living space.

I get confused as to whether or not to describe this as a galley or u-shaped kitchen. The kitchen itself will include three areas that are all 2.4m long:
1.Island bench with sink, dishwasher under bench
2. Cooktop and extractor fan above bench against wall parallel to island bench
3. Ceiling height cupboards, French door fridge against wall
4. There is also a walk in pantry

What I'm really struggling with, is how much space to allow for appliances - in particular, ovens. I think I'm leaning towards two standard 600mm ovens in the wall near the fridge rather than one larger oven under the cooktop. However, we don't entertain a lot (due to our very small home currently), and whilst I love cooking, i work full time and have young kids so I don't indulge as much time in the kitchen as I would like - it's mostly a weekend opportunity. Storage is important, and whilst I think I'll have plenty, it could be annoying to find that I rarely use an oven that could have given me more storage. Another consideration is that the 76cm Smeg oven I've got my eye on is around $6k, and I could get a two oven set up for approx $4k (or less, I haven't shopped around yet).

Am I worrying unnecessarily, is this a no-brainer? My husband does not see the point of two ovens, and had the cheek to call me a marketers dream ( ok, he may have a point based on past history!). I'm happy to stand my ground -and I didn't have the cost difference when we first discussed it - but don't want to fight for something I end up using 2 days a year and prove him right :)

If I go for the wall oven tower style set up, I'm not sure what to do with my microwave, where do most people store theirs?

Love to hear your thoughts. I'll try to add a pic of the kitchen I've drawn up to help visualise it.

Thanks!

Comments (6)