Houzz Logo Print
ofaconsult

What's missing?

RemaiConsult
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Please look at the living/TV room. It seems uninviting. I would like to make it warmer and cohesive.
I thought of a carpet, i laid it but still appears uninviting. Could it be painting/artwork?, the back of the sofa is mostly glass. What could be the missing link?

Comments (48)

• PRO
    cearl11
    9 years ago
    Coffee table in the middle so people have place to their drink down
  • PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    9 years ago
    Nice sofa! I think the carpet definitely made it more inviting.
    Would you be able to rearrange the L-shaped sofa to mirror what it is now? (So the chaise is on the other side of the wall) This will make an enclosure to the room without sectioning it off completely.

Make the white chairs face other and definitely add in a coffee table
  • Related Discussions

What is it missing

Q

Comments (27)
    I like the way it is and also think it would be fun to change it up sometimes. You could add one of your silver accessories from your cupboard. I also liked Darzy suggestion of the crystal ball or the paperweight. I think you can have fun with this changing it up as your mood changes, knowing that it looks great now.
    ...See More

what is missing?

Q

Comments (2)
    Colours are great! Agree with Brandi, night light. And I would still have side table(s) until the shelves which are already packed. Also, maybe some colourful kids art above the bedhead, and can't see the floor but maybe a colourful kids rug.
    ...See More

What gadget or feature is your kitchen missing most?

Q

Comments (35)
    I have recently started a small catering business from home, and I’m dreaming about having combi oven https://www.cateringwholesalers.com/cooking-equipment/combi-steam-ovens.html. I love them because they can replace multiple appliances and save money and time that way.
    ...See More

hallway decorations

Q

Comments (25)
    They are beautiful flowers fabulouspink but I see three tall items competing with the mirror & my eye can't rest on any one thing as the yellow distracts my eye. For me it needs a low item or bowl, it could be mirror tone or silver to create a connection to the mirror. I would keep to the silvers & blues so the the whole look reads as one complementary picture. Light & shade without filling the whole space & less is more...try the blue tall vase in the middle with the 3 smaller bottles to the left or right. A low square mirrored decorative box echoing the mirror style would also finish it off nicely :)
    ...See More
  • kirstieparker
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • bigreader
    9 years ago
    I'd add some texture. Maybe a wood coffee table.

The rug needs to be twice the size.

Add a throw to the couch.

The chairs need to come off the wall. They are a bit too hard for a living space.

Good luck.
  • PRO
    RemaiConsult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks all. All points noted.
    Unfortunately, the sofa is fixed, so the chaise can't be rearranged.
    Yes the coffee table.
    Bigreader, not sure what you mean by being hard?, in which space do you think the sofa would work better?

Susannahthai, kirstie, thanks for the abstract artwork link. That should put some texture as big eader suggested.
    What other colour could be injected, apart from red? To get some warmth, I'm thinking of brown tones...
  • PRO
    Eliot Koey
    9 years ago
    I agree with the need for both a coffee table and a rug! I found this pretty helpful:
    https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/guide-to-creating-a-beautifully-styled-coffee-table-stsetivw-vs~34758028
  • bigreader
    9 years ago
    Hi again,

When I said hard I was referring to all the surfaces, walls/floors/furniture being streamlined and hard, and arranged around the edge of the room.

Adding soft and even squishy items will change the feel on the room dramatically.

Good luck.
  • PRO
    Graff Design & Construction
    9 years ago
    You need to concentrate on the big picture. All separate pieces are good but they need to "play in the same band" 2 essential components are colour of the walls and artificial lighting and day light situation.
    It is a bit too much day light in this room to create homely and inviting ambiance. Maybe window treatment, darker walls or even feature wall paper.
    You need to bind it all together with one "big Decision".
    I hope my comments are helpful. Good luck
  • PRO
    RemaiConsult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all. Hmm, window treatment.... Ok, that's a different approach.
    Which colour do you think can be introduced via the wall paper or feature wall. I'm thinking of making the Tv wall the feature or the wall behind the white chairs.

The tv cable is on that TV wall so can't reposition the tv and the chaise can only be arranged as it is, with its back against the windows.
    The opposite wall is busy as it is. Now need to make the best of the situation.
  • PRO
    Graff Design & Construction
    9 years ago
    I would choose wallpaper first and then use one of the colours or shades from wallpaper to paint other walls .This way the space looks more streamlined and it is not overloaded with details and features. The wallpaper doesn't have to be in your face. you can opt for embossed design (preferably geometrical) in just 2 shades of the same colour
    When i say window treatment I don't mean curtains. I mean something that will help you to control how much light you let in on the sunny day.
  • PRO
    RemaiConsult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I must have let in too much light for the photos. There are vertical blinds on atm, which didn't show up in my previous pix.

I like the idea of wall paper. I can only think of silver tones (which won't be warm).
    Does anyone have inspiration pictures of colour combos that will go well with the red sofa and the setting? I'm drawing a blank now....
  • nandi54
    9 years ago
    Remove or reposition the white chairs; as it stands now it looks like a waiting room. Rug and coffee table for sure, and art work that pics up the colour from your seats. The seats are beautiful.
  • Amanda
    9 years ago
    I would paint the walls a warm shade of colour. (white can make a room look clinical.) Put a large picture on the wall where the aircon is and a nice big rug. (twice the size of the rug in the photo.) Curtains also can soften a room too ;) goodluck
  • susan_66
    9 years ago
    I agree with the idea of a rug - maybe something dark and earthy (since you don't want it to compete with the TV when you are watching it). For the wall, I'd think about movie posters - you can get either older more expensive ones, or even small contemporary ones. You can even sometimes get them free, either from cinemas - particularly the independent, arthouse cinemas - or from places such as cafes or even laundrettes where they are used as advertising (just wait until the movie has had most of its run, and then ask if you can have the poster). With freebie posters, it can be as simple (and cheap) as blutacking them to the wall, maybe overlapping in a big collage that you can add to over time . . .

Another thing to keep in mind if you are doing this is maybe look for colours and images that match what you have - so posters with a lot of red to pick from the couch or black/white for the TV and its shelving.

Now, while cushions are probably usually chosen to match everything else, to keep your costs down (and I guess you like the cushions you already have!) I'd be looking for a large black rug with red or silver patterning through it. (Movie posters will tie in, I think, with the woman's-face cushion you have.) It needs to be big - to cover most of the space between the couch and the TV. I think that's partly why the current rug doesn't work - it just emphasises the divide between the couch and the TV instead of uniting them. There's a good Houzz article on fitting rugs to furniture: https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/finding-the-right-size-rug-for-any-room-in-the-house-stsetivw-vs~32205851
    - and although the writer uses this particular rug as an example of being too small (the black/grey one with the subtle paler stripes through it) - that's the kind of pattern and colour that could work for you (but obviously with a much larger rug).

As someone else said, think about getting rid of the white chairs (although I guess they are there because you do use them from time to time!). If they are only used one in a blue moon, think about replacing them with canvas 'director chairs' to help reinforce the cinema theme . . . A black colour -which joins them visually with the cushions you have, and the TV unit - might work.
  • susan_66
    9 years ago
    I just found something else for you! I was a bit worried about a coffee table introducing yet another disparate element into the room - but how about something like the black leather ottoman shown in this article (in the 4th photo down): https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/oh-happy-day-9-steps-to-a-more-joyful-you-stsetivw-vs~45862903?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u1108&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery0

Doubles as somewhere comfyto put your feet when veging out too!

The grey and white throw on the couch in the same photo would also work on the couch in your revamped room.
  • clr86
    9 years ago
    Definitely would be a good start to add a large canvas on that white wall. Something with red in it of course :)
  • dianneeng
    9 years ago
    Hi there,
    Why not consider putting the red sofa along the wall where the White chairs are. The chase will act as a small divider for entry by front the door. A lovely black and white abstract on the wall above the sofa a large black shag rug, your room is bright so could take it. A white coffee table on the rug in front of the couch and a low white cabinet on the wall facing the window, the white plastic chairs facing the sofa with 2 black and white cushions to soften their starkness. A glass fish bowl vase with red and white flowers say on the coffee table to add some glam. Wallah!!!
  • Susan Greig
    9 years ago
    Lovely lounge...the rug is 'draining' beside the vibrancy of the lounge...a different rug, twice the size - maybe predominately black, with a small splash of red. An artwork, that ties into the black/red colour scheme - black and white 'arty' photo, of a woman, with red lips - hung over the white chairs - they need to be turned facing in a little...a black coffee table, with something green on it, not necessarily a plant, to oppose the red, a little. If you wish to change the wall colour, I would go for a pale grey, not an 'icy' grey...a slightly paler grey of the cushion, with the face, would suit...all in all, you have some great items and space to work with, so All My Best in your endevour.
  • katecurby
    9 years ago
    Something 'living' in the room would make a difference. Eg A palm in the corner where the light is would give some life, texture & contrast. I agree that a 200 x 300 floor rug, with the front legs of the lounge coming over it would be much better....would define the space beautifully !
  • J9 B
    9 years ago
    Do the white chairs and table serve a purpose, if not, remove them altogether. Fill that wall with a large art work or bookcase. Nice large flooor rug in a different color. A coffee table. Our maybe a nice soft comfy couch where the table and chairs are.
  • cloudpants
    9 years ago
    I think a warm grey or brown in feature wall, large rug or cushions might cosy it up a bit. If you go to the photo section of houzz and search red lounge you will see some inspirational photos.
    http://houzz.com/photos/11315062
  • jackjnr
    9 years ago
    Lamps, flower arrangements/palms, cushions and throws are great ways to soften a room.
    I notice you already have a floor lamp in the corner, but it is very plain and kind of looks like it belongs in an office. If you search floor lamps on this website you will see how much character they can add to a room. Maybe a black one (I think this one could look nice,
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    ) or if you are going for a wood coffee table then tie it in with a wooden lamp stand.
    I can't say enough for flower arrangements and palms. They are peaceful, stately, inviting and just beautiful. A costly choice would be artificial white magnolias in a black pot/vase and I would place them on the table between the white chairs (assuming the table is strong enough). A cheaper option would be a palm/fern. Just pick up an indoor one from Bunnings etc and buy a nice big pot for it. It would look great in the corner next to the tv. This also introduces another colour into the room and honestly nature is the most perfect coordinator of colours, so pretty much everything is compatible with plants :-)
    Although the white chairs may not be ideal, you could soften them by adding cushions.
    As others have suggested, a throw on the lounge would look very nice.
    I agree with what others have said about the floor rug. I think you now know what will be best to do there!
    I personally like the idea of a ottoman better than a coffee table, more relaxed and suited to the room.
    Then again, don't forget this is your house and you are the one that has to love it. Make sure other peoples advice helps you to create the look you want and don't let it make you feel that what you need to change your ideas to suit the advice.
    Happy decorating :-)
  • hanayuki
    9 years ago
    Firstly, you need a much larger rug that goes under the couches not just sits at the edges. It would be better if it related to the rest of the colour scheme as the beige rug does nothing for the decor. A patterned rug that had small touches of the red, white and black to link them would be good. Then you need some lovely art work on the wall above the white chairs, or a bookcase with some books and interesting objects. I think that the black is a very strong colour, as is the red and I think they compete too much with each other and look harsh and hard. If you could paint some of your black into white and use some red and white patterned cushions, and maybe curtains to soften thing, it would look less hard. Maybe add some green too.
  • Laura
    9 years ago
    Take the sofa off the wall a little. I think 40cm is the ideal if there is a window but even 10-20 would make a difference. Then put a rug down and centre everything a little.
  • Jason Treanor
    9 years ago
    I would try the following:
    1. Place the TV and unit along the wall where the White chairs currently are.
    2. Rotate the amazing looking sofa 90 degrees to face the TV in its new position.
    3. A credenza or desk at the back of the couch in birch or light coloured wood - this can also act as a small computer desk for paying bills etc.
    4. Place the two white chairs and small table against the window with a large vase of flowers or a plant with variegated leaves and even dual colour foliage that has a ruby red under leaf.
    5. A much larger rug extending from under the couch to the tv unit and from the feet of the White chairs to just shy of the door. This defines a larger living area as well as separates the entrance way. The rug needs to a soft, long pile, white rug that reflects the soft white curtains.
    6. Along the entrance way wall (where the TV now is) I would hang or stand, oversized, moody and atmospheric paintings - largely dark greys in colour, dark in tone and mood with accents of red, or painterly textured pieces in deeper tones of red, or large black and white brush strokes - large, textured and dramatic is the key, not geometric.
    7. The window can be framed with contrasting curtains of a dark warm grey in a soft, woven texture like linen. This will help balance the drama and texture of the art on opposing wall
    8. Add a birch or light wood oval coffee table - nothing square. possibly a nest of tables of different size and hight.
    9. Place the TV off centre on the far wall and introduce a large plant beside the door.
    10. A soft throw rug - probably black or white.
    11. A large floor lamp for mood lighting with wooden legs and oversized white shade can be placed at the end of the sofa in front of the window. This will provide warm mood light for the sofa, white chairs and possible desk behind sofa.

I hope this helps and gives you some directions to explore.
  • libby_duncan
    9 years ago
    Bring the furniture in off the walls a bit. Get a bigger rug and position the furniture around it. Artwork would be good on the wall behind the white chairs. And a coffee table. I would introduce some earthy tones to create warmth and soften the look. Beiges in the cushions, a throw, some basket weave.
  • remmit
    9 years ago
    Jackjrn I love the lamp you suggested. Where will I found it??
  • divergent_d
    9 years ago
    Add a coffee table and a painting that goes with the colours
  • jackjnr
    9 years ago
    Sorry Remmit, I'm not sure where to buy that lamp.
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/6771422

Hi,
    This attached photo has a great colour mix. I agree that moving the sofa to opposite wall and then pulling in similar colours and a coffee table as in this photo, it will make your room feel so much more welcoming.
    Hope you like!
  • karenleonn
    9 years ago
    Your furniture is great you need a BIG statement rug and a great light fixture or one of those floor lamps that "bend" over the room
  • Dawn Collins
    8 years ago

Hi if this was my room I would move the sofa off the wall to make room for a square lamp table and put a nice lamp on it. Next I would move the white chairs to the other side of the room so they face the wall thay r on. Buy another cushion with the face and place on white chairs, next get a rug next size up and not brown,maybe gray ,red,black or stripe,some nice cushions 50x50cm , a patterned fabric chair on wall were white chairs were and ottoman to match chair put on rug in front of lounge and art on wall. The other color I would use blue maybe navy or a bit lighter. Your room just a idea. I'm in Australia so don't know if all this would suit

• maykezza
    8 years ago
    A big rug really modern black and white with a really large modern coffee table and more pillows on the lounge funk it up !
    And some modern Art work which has a little bit of red and some bold colours .
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    8 years ago
    Hi,
    Your sofa is a very pretty shade of red.
    I agree that artwork picking up the colour in the sofa would be great. I have an artwork website, www.helenscolour.com
    There may be something there, certainly lots of red in my palette always!
  • silvana_acevska
    8 years ago
    Black and white wall paper
    Put plantation shutters
    Remove the lightening in the corner and on the wall
    Those chairs need to go
    Massive rug black and white or just all fluffy white

if if was my home I would put those couches on eBay and get new ones they are so 90's there are so many nice couches in Freedom these day and you can utilise your space better buy having a L shape couch and a two seater also

You've spent to much money on accessories now to turn back
  • bristow55
    8 years ago

There is no coordination in this room, and it is hard and 'plasticy'. Keep the sofa, get rid of the small white plastic chairs and the table between them. Decide what colors you want to dominate; obviously dark red to match the sofa would be one of them. Get a large rug, much larger than the one you have in one of the pictures. I would get a beautiful carpet from Afgahanistan/Persia/Pakistan with rich red colors and a detailed pattern to give the whole room some class and warmth. The carpet will tie the room together. Get rid of the cushions, and replace them with something that complements the carpet. Something on the wall is essential. It would have to tie in with the carpet and cushions. It wouldnt have to be 'art', ie expensive, but something interesting that coordinated in style and color with the sofa and carpet. I love doing this kind of stuff and would never dream of getting someone to do it for me...but if you dont have confidence in your sense of style, choose a friend of yours that you think has a good idea of taste and style and ask their advice! Good luck!!

• PRO
    RemaiConsult
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks but no thanks Brenncampbell.
    Your comments are downright disrespectful. There are ways to pass information across without being rude, as you neither know what has been changed or amended since this post came on months ago.
    You can learn how to post 'advice' from other valuable posters like jackjnr (March 2015).

By the way how can this post be deleted as I've taken on board enough valuable suggestions? TIA
  • silvana_acevska
    8 years ago
    OFA Consultant

Don't get upset at people comments.

It's your house if you can't accept constructive criticism then don't upload and ask for help

To be brutally honest nothing in the shops will match your decor how can you expect to style a room that has a feature couch in Red that's 15 years outdated

Nobody is being disrespectful just damn honest and straight with your let go of the past and move forward to 2015!

God Bless you
  • bristow55
    8 years ago

My apologies to you! I thought I was being direct in the same way that other posters had been. Also, when I opened Houzz yesterday, your initial post popped up, so I just assumed it was current! I hope you are happy with your room now.

• PRO
    archimondo
    8 years ago

Grandkids. Changes the whole meaning of a Living Space.

• bargainhunter
    8 years ago
    Read all of the posts here and thought they were all appropriate. It's odd that Ofa is a pro. Would it be possible for you to describe your area of expertise? So we know where ti direction
  • Dawn Collins
    8 years ago

Hi what about a gray and cream or beige wallpaper and a cream rug , get away from white it can be a bit stark sometimes. Gray and cream cushions and put a bit of color with them , yellow or that nice aqua that's around at the moment and in your art work have all the colors u use in furnishing . Good luck

• PRO
    Authentic Artworks - Jana McLeod
    8 years ago

I'd like to help you with an artwork for the wall if you are open to it. I do commission works and exhibit in galleries - It seems artists have done a good job at implying art is wildly expensive - my aim is to make art inclusive, authentic and affordable. You can even pick the price of a commissioned artwork and we can work together to create something right for the space and budget. If you're keen, I'm happy to have a chat. You can contact me via my website www.janamcleod.com :)

An artwork can transform a space and lend to it an atmosphere. It is uniquely yours and can connect you to a time, place, thought or feeling. In any room an artwork can add a sense of wonderment...

• Tracey Shepherd
    8 years ago

I don't think anythings wrong with the red lounge, personally I like it, interior design is just like art and wine, 'To Ones Own Taste' just want to add though that the white chairs just need to be separated, but if you could just add a cushions to them that would be great. Good luck you have great pieces.

• Nora Giulia
    8 years ago
    You need a different color rug Ina bigger size. Coffee table and artwork is what it's missing too.
  • cats_n_nails
    8 years ago
    definitely needs a larger rug and I'd move the furniture away from the walls, makes it more cozy; plus add some small pictures clumped together or a large print over the chairs and you're set!
  • PRO
    Gorgeous Creatures Australia
    8 years ago

A coffee table or ottoman coffee table would make a big difference, at the moment the furniture looks like it is set up for a job interview with the TV :-). A barrier between the sofa and the rest of the room will help make you feel more secure. And as other people have said pull the sofa away from the wall a bit, give it room to breathe.