Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_18783809

What to do with our massive backyard?

User
9 years ago
It used to be all grass/dirt but we filled in the majority of it with bark to cut down on the maintenance. You can see I've tried starting a vegetable patch in the corner, but I've not actually done anything with it yet.
To the left and closer to me is a very large screening hedge which cuts off halfway. To the right where you see that cluster of stones is a tree (no idea what sort, but not a fruiting tree) in what we call our 'sacrificial circle'. And further to the right of that is a bunch of trees, including a peach tree, 2 different plum trees, and a large tree in the background, and also a rosemary bush by the back fence. Where I'm standing we have decking and a verandah as well with an entertainment set.

I have NO idea what to do with the place. I thought of perhaps putting up trellises on the back fence and training some chinese jasmine to trail up it, but I feel like it's still bare.

I'd like something I can just set and forget with minimal landscaping (ie putting in concrete or pavers). Can anyone give me some ideas?

I've also tried looking for pictures for design ideas but everything I find is all terraced or modern concrete yards. Ours is a suburban house built in the 70s, so a big backyard. We're also in Adelaide, so a lot of hot dry weather and cool rainy winters.

Comments (30)