Houzz Logo Print
nicoleuren

"Need help with layout of music/ study room"

Nicole Uren
9 years ago
So we have just moved into a Melbourne townhouse and have a spare room for two musicians and one artist. Now, we have to fit two desktop computers in there, a few guitars, keyboard, and trying to work out a space for the artist to do her work also (anything from painting to sewing). Our budget is as limited as possible as we are all university students. I really want a practical yet stylish space that will enable creatives to do their best work. We have access to two trestle tables for use also, some tapestry, and bookshelves etc are pretty cheap to find on gumtree! Please help me create a wonderful space!

Comments (3)

• susan_66
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The visual artist needs the window - so position easel? or other working items where the keyboards currently are . . . and start working from there. The blue sofa cushions - maybe hang them against the walls (they could function as pinboards?) - but I think you need something to deaden the sound - or your neighbours may hate you. Rugs on the floor and the thickest drapes you can afford (or improvise with blankets) for the window.

Hmmm . . . maybe artist towards the right-handside (door-side) of the window - trestles in L shape along the long wall, and a bit of the window to make 2 desks - and musician's stuff occupying the wall adjacent to the door and into the centre of the room? Everyone gets a shelf each in the cupboard . . . and a dedicated space in the room?
  • Valerie Maddocks
    9 years ago
    Could I suggest that guitars need to be hung on the wall somehow when not in use to allow clutter free space when utilising the computers and the easel.

Create an L-shaped desk/bench with the tressles as suggested by susan_66 with the desktops toward the corner to allow the artist to use the end for art materials or sewing machine (which would need to be put away underneath after use unfortunately).

Keyboards could perhaps be put against the wall near the door, or else hung similarly to guitars until needed.

I think the key here is for each user to be considerate of the others by stowing away their items after use so as to keep the area as usable as possible.

Good luck!!
  • Nicole Uren
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much for your ideas! We moved the trestle table along the window which made a huge difference. Just needing a rack that will be able to organise all the guitars. Any ideas for cheap curtains and rugs? Maybe the tapestry will help block the sound on one of the walls?