Houzz Logo Print
kaitlingracee

Interior colours

kaitlingracee
9 years ago
Ok, so myself and my partner are building a house this is our first home but we are building our family home, so it's kind of our forever home. I just can't decide on my kitchen interior..

We wanted a home where you walk in and it would be breath taking. Instant mood changer. Relaxed and comfortable so we have kept things warm. We don't really like that stark white on white modern look that's in that the moment. So we went off white walls (Dulux Fair Bianca Half - still look white if not put next to paper) cream cabinets (laminex alabaster) a medium chocolate brown splash back and a coffee/mocha coloured servery panel.

Up until now I have loved it. But my friend has just recently built her new home and her painter and decorator told her never to go off white or cream as it looks older and eventually the off white paint goes creamier. Now everything I have chosen I'm second guessing. I really don't want an ugly home and this isn't a cheap fix.

Now I have no idea if I should go with white cabinets and the off white walls. Or white walls white cabinets and warm whitelights to make the room warmer so it's not stark. Or stay with off white walls and cream cabinets and go with white lights to not make it so yellow. I'm totally confused and the cabinet maker wants to start making the cabinets in the next 2 weeks so I have to decide.

The attached photo is the colours I have chosen for my kitchen but I don't know if I should make the cabinets white now to keep it fresh?
HELP!!

Comments (29)

• kaitlingracee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also to add to the confusion the first pic is our bathroom colours, every other cupboard and cabinet in the house is white but the kitchen.. The second photo is the kitchen colours with a white cabinet.. The 3rd pic is the kitchen colours with a cream cabinet.. It's only slight but anybody who has done this before knows that one shade makes a huge difference.

Would really appreciate some advise or opinions. This is my first time doing this and hopefully my only time.
  • kaitlingracee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes when we did the selections we had a colour consultant but at the time I was very overwhelmed and she was a little "too busy" and rushed us through the whole process because she wanted an early mark. I have rung her a few times with questions and concerns and every time she says the colours will be fine. So the whole thing has been stressful but my main concern is just getting this right.

The second phono is all the colours our floor tile is in the picture too.. The third photo is the same colours just under white light.
  • Tilly
    9 years ago
    Don't doubt yourself, you're picked well. My father and brother are painters, 20 years ago I remember my dad painting the fireplace mantel cream because he said it would eventually turn cream because of the smoke from the fire. Also back in the day we had lead paint.
    Heavy smokers indoors can make walls curtains etc yellow.
    With the paints now in a new build your paint will not go yellow.
    I know it's hard to pick I'm building too. You have chosen well, the trick is never to add any strong colours to something permanent.
    Eg..Red backsplash.
  • Tilly
    9 years ago
    My only concern is the floor tile. Bit worried it will show everything. We had a floor once that showed every little thing, like dog prints, foot prints, hated it.
    Might be worth double checking that.
    A rental I did, I actually went to the tile shop and tested all the tiles in a light area of the shop. Ended up buying what they were using in there floor.
    Also, I usually go darker on the floors because then you use darker grout. Grout always gets dirty.
    Not to shiny either. Hope this helps.
  • barbieanne68
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think your colour choices are great and rich and inviting! I was an "ivory" person, my first new house we did an ivory kitchen, ivory creams basins/toilets and I loved it but after 15yrs they did look old and yellowish, but its because it was - old, and it all needed replacing regardless. I think all kitchens eventually look dated. When we renovated I did a true white on Timber floor and I thought it looked fresh and new. I am now a converted "true whites" person. But white on timber floors was easy. In my new build I have chosen an off white floor (I wanted a clean light grey tile but couldn't be found). I was torn between Polar White Cupboards and the less stark option of just White (Laminex Silk Finish). In the end I chose Polar White and like you was second guessing the entire time. Now that its all done, off white floor, polar white cabinets, white fleck Astral White stone bench top (then worried this wasn't the right white). I opted to get the painter to Laminex colour paint match the walls rather than choosing from a Colour Sample and not getting it quite right. (Samples always look different on the walls) I also added a black glass splash back and a black under the island bench (as you have done with your chocolate colour) it helps detract from the differing whites between cabinets and floors. The natural light softens everything. And once furniture goes in it really detracts from looking at all the whites under the microscope. Then the artificial lights make another huge difference at night time. This is our home for the next 15 years so I too wanted the permanent fixtures to be as simple and basic as can be. And the whites made for many a sleepless night worrying about kitchen/paint colours. And even after paying for an interior consultant and was drawn in a softer direction, I ended up going with what I felt was right for me and couldn't be happier with the outcome. There is so much choice now it gets really confusing. Once its in, you won't be checking samples against it. I have since realised that most people don't worry about the detail and the long term outlook like I do. I do like modern but also wanted longevity. Splashbacks can be changed. But kitchen cupboards are for 15yrs at least I think. Once all the samples are thrown away along with our microscopes it will work out. :) It really will. I would paint match to the laminex cupboards you choose, that took a lot of the worrying out of things for me.
  • serendipity01
    9 years ago
    Hi kaitlingracee am so excited your building your own home. way to go! As for the "interior decorator" sounds like we had the same one..Thankfully I'd done a tafe course on interior decorating and had a fab teacher. She always said go with your heart.So for your kitchen I would stick with your first chose. You always know what is best for you. As for the paint changing -nah built 19 years ago and it all still looks the same- just don't look at the chips!And on another note styles always change so what you do now will seem dated in 10 years. But if you don;t "follow the crowd"Stay away from what is "in"your house won't. People have a hard time working out our homes age.No terracotta tile anywhere or yellow and blue!Just something for you to think about. And remember this is your home, trust yourself.
  • Carole
    9 years ago
    We also went against trend with our last kitchen reno about 5 years ago with similar colour scheme to yours. We colour matched our cabinet doors to the paint colour Berkshire White which had a creamy tone and a gorgeous chocolate granite bench top, porcelain floor tiles and neutral backsplash. It was a joy to work in and didn't impede the sale of house, which sold at full asking price the day after the first open house. I am thinking our next kitchen reno will be to include some timber as we are now on the coast. So at the end of the day, it is your kitchen and your original choice sounds fine. As you have pointed out stark white kitchens may be trendy now and look good in magazines but they are not necessarily practical or have the ambience that makes it a real heart of the home. Go with your first instinct.
  • deanli14
    9 years ago
    Congrats kaitilngracee on your new home! This is just one persons opinion but I do think that white cabinetry will serve you better in the long run. To me white reads as cleaner and ageless. Also any profile that you choose for your cabinet doors will give you shadow lines if you are worried about a stark appearance. Plus you can joosh up the white by swapping hardware and accessories. I've had a few kitchens over the years and it is the white that has caused me no ych factor. But as I said, just MHO.
  • Adela Sivewright
    9 years ago
    Do not worry about white or cream going out of fashion!
    What the painter was probably talking about was the tendency for pure whites to look different in each room because of the light. Dulux Hog Bristle is very popular is it has a touch of brown in it but there are also wall colours that have a grey tint is you would prefer to go that way.
    The Whites and Nuetrals brochure you can get from the hardware paint section has these colours in it. Then what you do is use your chosen wall colour in different strengths throughout the house. A dark hallway would be full strength, living areas half strength and where there is the white cupboards abutting, the paint colour could be half strength.
    A lovely pendant light fitting will add interest to your kitchen and can be changed with the fashions, cupboards can't!
  • kaitlingracee
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow the response is amazing it's so refreshing to hear people's opinions! Thankyou so much! Has definately reassured me. ☺️
  • KK1000
    8 years ago
    Just stick with your choices it's nice combo and don't listen to some painters they are there to paint what you like, they are not decorators . No offence to painters ,but it's your house.
  • KK1000
    8 years ago
    As for the colour going out of fashion they all do and come back again ,so what ? you will have to paint again eventually .
  • kooky_karen
    8 years ago
    I am building a new home at present, so I have just a couple of suggestions for you. The floor tiles are a great colour but look to be shiny - just make sure they are not slippery when wet. And to be honest, it doesn't matter what colour you select, they will always show up the dirt and spills. I have light coloured floor tiles at the moment but the new home will be lava chocolate. Have the grout the same colour as the tiles and sealed - nothing worse than discoloured, dirty grout. A white kitchen is never out of style - it just needs a colourful splashback, whether in tiles or glass, to bring it to life. As for the paint colour - can never go wrong with white, if, of course, you are having white kitchen, bath, basins, etc. Or, as has been suggested, Dulux Hog Bristle. Curtains, pictures, cushions, plants, etc will add all the colour you need.
  • illegallyblonde27
    8 years ago
    I've changed my interior downstairs pain three times in my first 12 months of living in my already built house.... best tip I got was from a bunnings staff member. compare your colours to white or to the colours around them... placing your colours against the white background skews your perception.
    with my kitchen reno I went with glossy white cupboards. Love them and they go with various accessories. I've had a red toaster then a cream one with a plant the other side, etc.
    cream will limit what you will accessorize with. white and black crispness for eg cannot be done with cream and black. similarly green plants vs cream and coffee will look twee.

remember like with dressing yourself you can make a statement with a yellow dress or accessorize with a pop of colour - bangle etc. use the same principles and it helps your confidence :-)
  • Molly Gee
    8 years ago
    Remember, sometimes painters/builders will tell you what's easiest for them!
    Almost 30 years ago we were told 'oh you don't want that, this is what you need' - big mistake ... huge! And every since, when someone says that to me, I dig my heels in and say YES I DO!
    You're the one who will live there ... go with what feels right for you.
    And as others have said, in five/ten years you'll want to repaint. Either your tastes change, fashions change or future little fingers have left their marks!
  • Amy Hunter
    8 years ago

We built from scratch 2 yrs ago and went Dulux Natural White walls. It's a lovely crisp white with a beige undertone so it doesn't look sterile but maintains a fresh look. We also went a white kitchen but not too stark and warmed it up with a charcoal/chocolate glass splash back. We also have warmth coming through in our timber flooring, warm tiles in wet areas and warm lighting. We don't regret our choices at all. It all feels very contemporary but homely and inviting. Remember that that the feel of your home will also come down to furnishings. Luxurious curtain fabrics, cushions, a thick rug and a good mix of textures will make all the difference.

• Esther Woodward
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    I have used "Fair Bianca" It was half or 1/4 strength in a little house we built a few years back, and it looked good, it is a warm white. We had black bench tops and an off white kitchen. Paint a canvas with Fair Bianca and place your your samples on it. Move it around in different light in the house and take away what is not working for you. Remember Paint is the cheapest of all your decorating choices. Easy to change! At the moment I am loving "Natural White" Your tastes will change over time.
  • idealgardens
    8 years ago
    Hi, looking at the photos you have attached, it appears that the white tends to work better with your chosen tiles and bench top selection. The undertone of the stone bench top seems to be throwing grey, off course looking at photos on a computer screen does not always give a true representation. From these pictures I would think that a warmer white with perhaps a slight grey hue would sit nicely. Perhaps Dulux Mt Aspiring or even Dulux white duck quarter. Have a look at these when next in your local paint store. Things to consider, are you having square set plaster. If so you can use one Colour on all areas but need to use the appropriate paint and finish. Another tip, when doing doors and skirts, if you use a Waterbased enamel it will remain true to Colour and not yellow over time. Hope this helps :)
  • trishysheven
    8 years ago
    Hi, if it's any help I went through this recently too. We built our first new home and colour selection was a nightmare for me, I wanted everything white! With so many different shades of white I was concerned we would get a 'stark' look, I can tell you that's not the case. We have Lexicon quarter on our walls, white ceiling, white porcelain floor tiles, white Caesar bench top in kitchen, white Polyurethane kitchen cupboards, white shutters, even a milky white splash back and marble fireplace surround, I thought it was too much at first...but...when you start furnishing and dependent on what style your after, I was going for a hamptons/coastal relaxed but modern style it will all come together...I found neutral colors bright pillows and soft light really make the home 'alive and inviting' and it always seems fresh, I have some of our home pictured on Houzz, just click through to my account and you can get some ideas :) you can never go wrong with white IMHO or have too much because it's always a great canvas to work with and always in style. Like illegally blonde said its the pieces you place with the white that pop and you can always change to what you feel like, I also have had 3 toasters dependent on what mood I'm in, the white always gives me a blank canvas to work with :) I hope this helps, happy to help with anything you might need :)
  • lynnh100
    8 years ago
    number 2 - lets face it after a few months all those dirty pota and pans will hide the colour anyway!!!
  • jedcar
    8 years ago
    I like the 2nd photo.
  • Mim Simpson
    8 years ago
    I do like the tile you have chosen what concerns me is how you will feel about it in 10 years time. Why not timber floors they never date? I have had about 5 friends build about 12-15 years ago and they all went with terracotta tiles they look awful now, but at the time I loved them! Someone said for paint White duck quarter this is a beautiful white goes great with greys, Hog bristle goes better with Browns, the white you have chosen is nice too, antique white usa is another nice one for warmth. I have had two people I know have their renovations overseen my an Architect that was about 5 years ago they used Bamboo flooring and I have to say It still looks fabulous, one has black matte tiles to match with the timber the other has a tile almost exactly like yours but not as much shine .
  • colrod
    7 years ago
    Having the same worries about whites for our kitchen Reno.Also love the whites.
    After much deliberation we have gone with Dulux Berkshire white walls and 1/4 tint white opal ceiling.
    Cabinets shaker profile satin finish Dulux natural white .
    Bench top quantum quartz Carrara which is creamy white with pale grey vein . No photos yet but I think it will tone well with brush box timber floors .Whites are really hard to choose .
    Good luck with your Reno.
  • colrod
    7 years ago
    Have a look at laminex Parchment it doesn't throw any yellow and is very close to Dulux whisper white
  • hildagabrielli
    7 years ago
    Hi kaitlingracee,
    It is difficult to decide in some ways, yet soòo easy with this site! There is an excellent article about what makes a "timeless kitchen" timeless. And another about what to invest in when choosing your kitchen....so helpful! White or off white kitchens are the most timeless of all, no matter what the style of the cabinetry. The simplest thing is to keep all your expensive permanent fixtures very light and neutral, (think twice about that dark splash back) and bring in the colour with painted walls eg Dulux 1/2 strength hog bristle, and other furnishings and window treatments. This will give it great warmth, and tone down the whites into a much softer hue, but cost small $$$ to change when you tire of it. My own kitchen is in 2pac Ivory colour (close to cream, but not as deep or as yellow) with matching splats back tiles, and polished floorboards. It is still pleasant and easy on the eye. It is 25 years old and hasn't yellowed, but I would go with white or slightly off white if I did it again. I wish this site and Internet was around when I did my kitchen!
    I'm sure you'll find the answers here, and find something you will enjoy for many years. Best wishes!
  • Tracy Oliver
    7 years ago
    I prefer off-whites myself. A friend got a stark white kitchen and it doesn't sit well with the rest of the house. However, I agree with the earlier comment about the benchtop - it looks better with the cooler shade of white. Is changing the benchtop an option? (I am trying to make similar decisions and I feel your pain...)
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Sorry I don't know what the stone chip in your photos is for as thought benchtops were to be laminex Also in top photo you have antique white not alabaster laminex sample I really like your bathroom colours
  • Ann B
    7 years ago
    Hi Kaitlin. I understand your reservations, esp after hearing something negative from a painter, etc. I haven't yet read any of the other comments here so am just putting my two cents worth in. I really like the colour scheme you mentioned. I'm a firm believer in going with your gut and what you love, rather than second-guessing yourself too much. Look at other colour combinations and consider, and I think you will know which you want to go with. Trust yourself. It is your home after all. You sound like you know what you like and what you want. Best wishes and please keep us posted. :)