Houzz Logo Print
fianou

Renovating ex housing commission house. Adding some character

fianou
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have bought this old housing commission house. Its actually in a lovely rural village in Tasmania. Its solid cement brick and in good condition but just rather devoid of character. I want to paint it but I don't know how to give it character and charm. Any suggestions. It is just devoid of any actual style to guide the aesthetic and give it some street appeal. It's pretty hard to find anything online where they have renovated a similar house.
I want something vibrant. I was thinking teal?

Comments (104)

• olldroo
    8 years ago
    Not very inspiring is it, I feel your frustration. How much longer do you think you will be there? Didn't realise you were planning on selling soon.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    @fianou,
    I have been out with the camera late this afternoon and took a shot of the flax and miscanthus plants around my fish pond for you to get an idea of the cover and height that can be achieved with these plant that range from 2 mtrs to about half a mtr.
    You can very easily take some of the plants with you when and if you leave in the future by dividing the plant up much like a agapanthus, so if you spend money planting, you can save money taking a portion of these plants with you.
    Sorry the photo's aren't real clear, bad time to take pictures before dusk.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • Related Discussions

Exterior of house

Q

Comments (23)
    Linda the image above uses a pediment type of scenario, and creates a recessed gable, however with one side of your home having a parapet and the other, a floating gable without a soffits, I think it wouldn't work. I think the strapping i showed yours easiest and most effective as it won't look like fixing an error. As for no shingles, they are my first pick, but very particular and you lean either way, I'm for them, but only real ones, not the fc product ones which have wrong proportions all round. I could only suggest using a batten arrangement in the same way as your gable, otherwise the lining boards look best. These can be sheets, so fixing would be easy. It would tie in with your porch roof being lining boards too. The main thing for me is that window awning, put architraves to the exterior of that window frame, paint it the dark blue colour, to conceal the white window, that's why I suggested white timber details, to make sense of this error.
    ...See More

Front of house upgrade

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for these fabulous comments! After reading them all we think we will definitely leave the red brick and replace the red wood with monument. We will add eaves across the front and will get a price on roof restoration with paint to match monument compared to reroofing in monument. Adding a double skillion carport to the front is a great idea too. We will definitely replace concrete with new as its old and cracked. The drive will have to curve in due to the water metre location right next to the letter box and a cost of over $2000 to move it. The garden definitely needs an upgrade. We have done a little bit out the front, not a great photo but I've attached a more recent one, we are thinking we will leave the bigger trees in this photos and add kangaroo paws through out. Front has been neglected a bit due to other renovations out the back. Nearly time to attack the front! Thanks again, we really appreciate all your thoughts! I'll post some photos once we get underway. I've added some of what we did out the back with the original 70's look we had. Been fun and hard work. All the work was done by ourselves and our sons.
    ...See More

What colour should I paint my house?

Q

Comments (34)
    Dear Creatively Challenged , I can recommend Dulux Colour Consultants, I gave up after about 5 sample pots . At the time it cost me $150 and if I used dulux paints I could claim a full refund . That was 12 years ago . I didn’t realise at the time just how good they were , the colours are still in fashion but it’s ready for another paint job for sure. It was such a relief to have someone in who is trained and fully understands colours and fashion and what goes with what . I finally stopped stressing about it and got the job done ✅
    ...See More

Kitchen Renovation for old house

Q

Comments (27)
    Divinefeeling, if you have the asbestos people in, remove as much as you can for a clean slate. It will be under Lino, behind tiles etc. then you can move the electrical points and plumbing where you want them, install overhead cabinets etc. . Old house you will prob need to replace the wiring and plumbing anyway. siri plan will allow you to later open up the wall to the living for the open plan that is so popular, great to stage costs.
    ...See More
  • Sue McKee
    8 years ago
    I'm thinking more a blue with cream accent and the darker roof.
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Hi Sue, I wanted to say that, bit that is what I did with my own house and thought that is all I could see. I just love blue and white or blue and cream, can't help it...just my favourite colours. I love my house now painted in these colour selections. I think the above house would look fabulous in those colours :)
  • bargainhunter
    8 years ago
    Not sure if you like this blue and white combo. It's a Wattyl colour (and an older one so you would have to ask for it) Indigo Nights. We love it and have repainted twice without changing the colour.
  • Allampone
    8 years ago
    I would renovate and spray the roof; render the exterior brick in a cream, replace at least one window with French doors in white and put some timber decking out the front and put some effort into a beautiful cottage garden. That's character!!
  • kimmh72
    8 years ago
    A dark grey with vibrant white trim always looks fresh and you can add pops of colours with a red or timber front door and compliment with bright plant pots in red or even plant a Japanese red maple in the front yard.
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago
    @fianou, the first question to ask yourself is "Is this likely to be a forever home or a temporary one?". If it is one you think of keeping forever, by any means, forget about overcapitalising and have fun with it! Even if your plans change and you get to sell it, it may not make you richer but it may make your life while living there much more enjoyable, and that is priceless.

If it is one you intend to sell in a while, I would highly suggest to stay in line with the houses in your area, and adding a discreet twist of your own. If you intend to sell within two years or so, I would recommend you focus on adding elements that could really add value to your home, and sometimes these are not cosmetic. I can't see much of your home from the picture, but it might be a garage (even a standalone single one) or a workshop, a more secure fencing or gate (for dog owners), etc.

I would also opt for just cleaning the bricks and the roof tiles, instead of painting (I don't recommend DYI outdoor wall painting, especially on porous, uneven bricks, as it requires lots of preparation and specific skills to make sure the paint will stand the test of time and weather) I would also extend your landing at the front, by building a small deck. This would present better but also make your entry much more welcoming and practical. It would also give you a bit of additional space to maybe add a few colourful elements that are removable like pot plants or even a painted rustic garden chair or two. Depending on your budget, you could also create a mini pergola all along your front wall, in order to offer you better shelter from the rain when walking from your driveway to your front door.

Another thing I would do: create a path made of gravels around your home (where grass currently is). This has four purposes: you could work around your house on a wet day without dragging to much wet soil around; gravel being draining, it would not retain moisture against your walls as much as grass would; I know it's a rural area and security is not your main concern, but gravel around a home makes a potential unwanted visitor more noisy and noticeable; from a cosmetic point of view, it would add some texture, while staying in line with a rural feel.

I would also repaint the fascia a light, neutral colour (a light beige) so the house look a bit brighter and slightly more contemporary too.

If there is a pedestrian path on your verge, I would also create a path leading from the verge/road to your front door. It would be much more inviting that having people to walk through grass or through the side driveway. It would also help define your entry as right now, your front house looks a little "flat", with the front door/entry barely noticeable. Lots of plants around the path would add further texture, life and interest.

What about colours then? Paint your front door a vibrant colour. Spray paint your letter box with the same colour. Add a few pots (near the front door) in a similar shade or in a contrasting one. You might even look into adding a bit of external lights (coach lanterns maybe) that yo would too spray paint in your main colour. In a dark, gloomy weather, I tend to chose warm tones over cold ones, so shades of red or orange (burnt orange/terracotta) or yellow could work. See how it works on this rural house I photographed once (on a gloomy day)? It's only a detail, but it works well, it brigthens up the house and from a potential buyer's perspective, it's easy to repaint if you ever sell the house and the buyers are not too fond of the colour...

I hope this helps!

All the best!
  • fianou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I like the Indigo nights colour you suggested @bargainhunter.

@Twinkleandwhistle thanks for the suggestions of how to add some colour without painting the brick, I will consider your suggestions. If I can figure out how to put things out without them blowing away in the freaky winds here I could make it work. But I think I will buy a guerney and clean the whole thing down first and see how it looks. If I can just paint the front door and add a few bits and bobs that would be so much easier.

• olldroo
    8 years ago

Good luck fianou - do keep us informed.

fianou thanked olldroo
  • fianou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Been on holidays olldroo so I haven't had time to start yet!

• olldroo
    8 years ago

Hahahaha, so now you are all rested, you have no excuse.

• User
    8 years ago

Hire a pressure cleaner, put on your bikini, and have at it!

• User
    8 years ago

Plant a row of wattles, on the windward side. They are quick growing, and when they've grown a bit, you can plant things inside the garden, which will then be more sheltered. Wattles are not long lived, but they will serve the purpose and furnish Spring/late winter flowers.

• olldroo
    8 years ago

Chook - a bikini ............. in this weather ................. in Tassie??

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago

If I could be permitted to take you down a different path - chucklechuckle.

In your initial photo, one would assume this is your favorite view of the home. Lead your guests from this spot to your door.

(not down a path to the barn and then force a 90 degree turn to avoid hitting the house. They can no longer see the alcove where they hope the entrance to be.)

Lead the path, and your eager guests, a bit to the right, so they can see their destination, - or begin the walk over to the right.

Lead them through the color and fragrance of plant beds, rather than hiding them at the foot of the walls.

Create a little entrance terrace outside the front step to greet them with containers of seasonal plants and fragrant herbs, perhaps a small bench with a colorful cushion, saying "You are welcome to my home".

Plus, you will be able to enjoy the color from within the home, as you gaze out at the dawn.

• User
    8 years ago

Casio, we have done that at our place, in an endeavour to plan for the next drought, less thirsty lawn.

• PRO
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Try white paint and a real door.
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Oops teal! Not real!
  • goneon
    8 years ago

Olldroo whats wrong with the Tassie weather, had my swimsuit on this weekend? Joking apart thats a nice sturdy house , make the inside home and plant a few nice small trees and shrubs, then have a look and see whats the go for the neighbourhood, be careful not to over capitalise stay in keeping or just a bit above so when you sell you don't make a loss, and if you choose to rent out it will still "fit" with its locale.......................

fianou thanked goneon
  • User
    8 years ago

Models do bikini shoots in Winter. Not sure they would pressure clean a house in them, might break a nail or something.

• olldroo
    8 years ago

Nothing wrong with Tassie weather maggie - if you don't like it you come back in half an hour. I can quite believe you wore your swimmers this weekend, I got snowed on one January :))

• goneon
    8 years ago

I do remove one fine day, skiing in the morning and by late afternoon swimming......its a great place to be ;)

• olldroo
    8 years ago

And the air is so beautifully fresh and clean.

• fianou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow... I didn't realise I still had some comments and suggestions. We have decided to opt for the cleaning only option and to paint the inside window sills and doorframes to freshen it up. We are putting our savings into the mortgage to maximise return. We aim to have it listed for sale by spring. We have opted for a few capital improvements, pellet heater, new stove, and 3 stage whole house water filtration system ( there have been lead in the town water issues here and that deals with it). That makes us happy and comfy in the meantime.

The plain brick I personally find quite grim, but its not uncommon here and I think it won't put anyone off. I plan to get a big colourful cluster of pots to put near the entrance for some colour.

I have been tidying up the house using the Konmari method and its looking really nice inside, its simple but it seems to have a welcoming vibe now.

• Carole
    8 years ago

I think I have been using the Konmari method most of my life without realising there was a name for it. Sensible decision @fianou, good luck with the sale and your next purchase.

fianou thanked Carole
    8 years ago

Fantastic ideas...had no idea that one photo could generate such great insight and varied ideas

All I can say is that if you don't want to overcapitlise-keep it simple,clean and looking low maintenance. I'd spend most of my money in designing a colourful and fragant garden suiable for your area.Look around and see what other have planted....ask for cuttings...and decide early on if you are looking to plant a formal or informal garden. Best of luck!

• nedoz
    8 years ago

If you have a budget for it, and if that is one front room, I would knock out the windows and the wall between and put a large sliding door that is from the top to bottom or windows from ceiling to floor with a timber deck out front. You probably would have to replace the other window at the front & put in a ceiling to floor window too, but then I read the comment above from 164800 and think they are spot on about a beautiful garden to pretty the home up ;-).

• wuff
    8 years ago
    Hi fianou, did you decide on your project? Any updates? Hope all is going well
  • User
    8 years ago

Me too :)

• Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

and me!!

• goneon
    8 years ago

and me......love to see end pickies

• olldroo
    8 years ago

This makes 5 sticky beaks!!

• goneon
    8 years ago

been missing you Oldroo, hope your good.

• User
    8 years ago

Yeah!

• mrjudsonjames
    8 years ago

Way too many comments to read through them all, but I did notice lots of pics with bright colour schemes.

Unless this is your "forever" home I'd steer clear of those combos, they'll put off buyers! Plus all those houses have beautiful features and trims that the paintwork is working with.

Your question was about giving it character and charm, but in the earlier comments I noticed you also thought it drab being grey.

My suggestions would be although you think colour to make it inviting, I'd stick with going whites or light colours, just brightening it, then landscaping the hell out of it will make a huge difference to its warmth and street appeal.

Pvc white picket fencing can also be ordered and DIY installed and would create instant charm and appeal to the next buyer...plus it's completely maintenance free!

Lots of plants, which you mentioned you've started on will add softness and a cared for homey feel and I'd use a concrete stain (or paint, but a stain is lower maintenance) on the bricks to whiten or lighten them and although rendering the whole house is over capitalising, rendering the bottom third that you see from the street or rendering a feature wall, would definitely add character and value.

What ever you decide, good luck and remember to enjoy it!!

• sueburdo66
    8 years ago

Probably the cheapest option would be to gurni the cement blocks and tiled roof. Use the same colour of the guttering and add a railing on the porch in the same colour and large pots in the same colour under the windows and along the front path. Will add colour to the house and you can take the pots with you when you sell. Long rectangular pots would look good.

• PRO
    Bodo Boards
    8 years ago

If you are stuck for colour ideas or looking for a way to bring the look together - Bodo Boards have full colour concepts available for only $89.95 which includes the colours to use for your all your internal paint colours and your external main paint, trim paint, feature paint and accent colour - the boards also include suggestions for bricks, paving decking and if necessary garage door types to complete your look. It saves you from putting together all the colour choices and the painstaking time spent looking over concepts. Might I suggest the Australian bush concept - https://bodo-boards-2.myshopify.com/collections/country/products/australian-bush-paint-concept or the traditional https://bodo-boards-2.myshopify.com/collections/traditional - ALL featured paint products are available Australia wide. Good Luck!

• Jenny Strong
    8 years ago
  • goneon
    8 years ago

Given the length of time this has been running, hopefully you have let this at a premium and decided to do very little!

• PRO
    Jane Brown Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello Fianou,

Congratulations on your charming home. I think it has so much potential.

I love the idea of teal, it is fresh and welcoming.

I was thinking to give the home some street appeal and to also make it extremely functional. I would see if you could afford to put a wonderful wooden deck out the front, and then I would have window shutters painted teal placed on either side of the windows to give it street appeal, if you could afford to paint the brick I would paint it in a happier white tone with the blue accessory trim on the shutters on each window and also on the roof trim to tie it all in. On the deck I would have flower boxes painted in the same teal colour or whatever colour you choose to link in the whole story. I can see it can be so sweet and charming and a real place to call home.

The timber fence at the side would also link in with the decking at the front.

Good luck and congratulations on buying your own home ! Woo hoo !

• Pauline Beach House
    8 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-unexpected-color-schemes-for-home-exteriors-stsetivw-vs~26198395

Have a look here and to the links given..there are lots of great ideas here if you don't want the Neutral colours, especially beige/greige and grey that are all the rage at the moment...good luck

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    OLD Post - wonder what happened to the property?
  • Lynne Krywulycz
    7 years ago

OLD POST I also wonder happened eventually. Would be nice to see a post of the finished house.

• Kay Vickers
    7 years ago

I would water pressure clean the bricks, roof and guttering, this would lighten it up a lot. I would also put a covered deck across the front of the house, this would give it a modern look and an extra outdoor space as well, have a timber deck floor on this space and horizontal timber slats below the hand-rail of the deck. I would use a bright colour on these slats and use this colour on the trims, guttering and front door too. There are some good lime green and maroon native grasses that could be planed along the front of the house to give it that well finished look, it would cost around three to five thousand dollars to do all of this and it would give the home great street appeal. When you have the funds, you could add a car-port to the side of the house, using the same horizontal timber slats and colours at the side of it to tie it all together.

• Emily Haslem
    7 years ago
    Clean the bricks, build a timber deck over the concrete entrance and paint the door & meter box a bright colour.
  • Carole
    7 years ago
    The OP was nearly 2 years ago, the house has probably been sold by now. No point commenting on this now as suggestions have already been covered.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    OLD POST
  • fianou luca
    3 years ago

Oh my... this old post of mine came up and I feel a bit nostalgic about my first home. I didn't realise so many people were following so I didn't keep everyone updated. we rented the house out and went on a big road trip heading back up north where we came from. Took us about 6 months to settle again. We liked tasmania, but we missed where we were from. We eventually sold it at a good profit. It took us a little while to find a place within our budget up here but we did it. Our profit gave us a deposit for the place we have now. We've been in our new place for 18months and we're slowly fixing it up. I've posted elsewhere about that. I'm enjoying settling in, restoring this old house and gardening. It might not be a forever home, but I'd be happy to stay here so I'm enjoying the process.