Houzz Logo Print
briagmum

Lounge room decor advice needed.

briagmum
8 years ago
I am in desperate need of some advice for my lounge room décor. I have been struggling for months as to how to add some interest to what is at the moment a very bland, dull looking room. A monochrome pallet is very me but I'm finding it frustratingly boring with what I have to work with at present and would really like to incorporate a little colour/pattern somehow. I don't particularly like any of the furniture I have at the moment but due to finances I'm stuck with it for now. The main areas I need help with are curtains (sorry about the outside blind being down in the pic) cushions (need to keep the large grey ones as the recently cost me a small fortune) and a new rug. ( Btw- I know the current rug is too small, but I'm on very limited funds and that size was all I could afford). I am also planning to replace the coffee table with a round black one as soon as possible as I'm very much over the timber furniture I currently have. When I do I'm also wondering what I should do with the bookshelf.....paint it maybe? Get rid of it entirely?
There are also 2 other issues I have with the room. There is built in corner shelving that I have no idea what to do with. I can't remove it as the house is a rental, otherwise I would, and also, an absolutely awful brick fireplace that I would like to cover/ hide. I am thinking of cutting some mdf to size, painting it or covering it in wall paper and placing it over the bricks, but I am at a loss as to what colour/pattern to use.
I recently painted the walls Antique white USA ( after giving up on other colours as they never turned out right) and the carpet is like a dark latte.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (22)