Houzz Logo Print
8lila

Extension - what works best with current home layout

8lila
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Hi guys
Just hoping someone could shed some light on what should I do with my existing alfresco area, which is currently being used as a rubish dump.
I have attached the floor plant and wanted to hear some thoughts on what could I do with this area. We don't use at all at the moment and it will need a full renovation.
One problem I have with the current design of this house is the when we have friends over the kids often take over the living room and we have no where to stay comfortably. M
If anyone could suggest some ideas on how to make better use the house space I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Comments (49)

• 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The dining area is at the entrance of the house and the kitchen being in the corridor makes is unpractical to have people sitting and chatting as there is no table. So I have two spaces in between a corridor kitchen and when we have lots of friends we stay dispersed, half in each room, or squeezed in one of the rooms :(
  • PRO
    Undercover Architect
    8 years ago
    Hi 8lila

Where is north in relation to this floor plan? And how does your land work around it?

Regards
    Amelia Lee
    Undercover Architect
    www.undercoverarchitect.com
  • Related Discussions

Extension for my little house. Will it work?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you for replies, I hadn't realised I had a response. I haven't done any sort of checks etc as I don't know where to start. Would I go to a builder first, or architect? Or council? The house was built in the 80s with the blonde brick and cream window frames. Nothing special about it but I can't see the sense in knocking it down. The block is a wedge shape in a culdesac with awesome neighbours. It is a quarter acre with house plonked in the middle towards the front. We have a big shed to the east side but plenty of space to the west and south. South side should be easy to extend the roof out ( I think). Not keen on giving up too much of my backyard though :)
    ...See More

Home extension - concept plan #1, what else could we do...

Q

Comments (6)
    How great is that second variation !! I think I need you to look at my plan , your design eye is brilliant !
    ...See More

Home extension/renovation ideas for tough layout

Q

Comments (8)
    This is really a job for a professional, as there are so many implications for town planning, fire and acoustic separation between dwellings (covered under the building regulations), legal (are you on seperate titles, or is it strata titled), front setbacks, and structural implications. I haven't seen too many houses that have been subdivided into two units that are on two seperate titles in recent times as the complexities are so challenging with the current planning and building regulations. Your project will need a lot of research and careful management of the bureaucracies, depending on where you live. Your best bet would be to start with a local professional who is familiar with the local planning laws and council requirements. You will find it a lot easier to limit your new work to the existing building envelope. Best of luck, Dr Retro
    ...See More

Will an extension work for our home?

Q

Comments (29)
    Hi Dim91, a slow Monday public holiday, so I have been sketching. This would be a full home renovation and extension. Above your budget, but food for long term thought. Front bedroom would become new entry and storage, through to brand new extension which include living, dining, kitchen all assuming facing north. Study becomes the new walk through into new bedrooms and living area. Kitchen becomes bathroom. Laundry stays as is. Car space stays as is. Current front door filled in as window. This is just my thoughts on paper. As you haven,t given measurements it is completely my interpretation. But, as others have said, an architect would give you information on the potential of your home, as you have the land space to extend.
    ...See More
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Amelia,
    I don't know how to interpret this but the north sign is in the below plant
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't have the plan that shows the land and residence all together, but maybe the photos below can give you an idea of the areas. The alfresco in the photos is very nice as it was furnished and decorated, but currently looks nothing like this. The roof is leaking and there is no furniture. This is why we are thinking about doing something totally new. The total land size is 682sm2
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    These are the backyard and alfresco views. Hope that helps :)
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    also below are a better view of the living room and kitchen, It might help you visualize the house's layout.
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Amelia, thankyou so much for taking the time to put this together. I really appreciate it. I should have mentioned our budget. Because this isn't a new house, although the kitchen has been renovated, we are not prepared to spend a lot of money. Our budget is around $80K and my thoughts at the moment are making the current dining area as the kids area, put a sofa, a TV, a hug and make it cozy for them to stay there. Then I would make the living area as the dining aree - however it will be a very big dining area so not sure how to make the most out of the space with just a dining table. Then I thought about making the alfresco as the adult entertaining area, this way we had the kitchen closer to the dining, and the dining leading to the new living area. Just not sure if that would suit the house layout. I do love your idea of moving the kitchen, but that would add a huge cost to the reno, and as you mentioned the kitchen isn't old so it would be a waste too :(
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No more thoughts or suggestions anyone? :(

• LouieT
    8 years ago
    Hi 8lila,

Do you have any plans for the existing garage? Could you build a new carport/garage at the front of the house on the main bedroom side and open up the existing garage to the alfresco as an outdoor room (new garage/carport is a lower cost structure not involving the main house structurally).
    If suitable the re-purposed old garage could have lovely big doors opening to an outdoor kitchen in the al fresco & connected to the main house as required using all your existing structure. Maybe if you could redo the old garage as a break out space/multi-purpose room (think play room, studio, teenage hang out etc.) and using your budget to create a wonderful new entertainment area that remains connected so everyone is accommodated and within range.
    Cheers,
    Louise
    8lila thanked LouieT
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Louise, thanks for your suggestion, but the Alfresco area is already very big, I don't think I would need another area created. Basically I am not sure if I should transform the alfresco in another bedroom, or make it another living room or dinning room, or have it as a rumpus room. Not sure what would look better with the current house structure. It looks like the ideal scenario would be the redo the plant altogether but it seems easier to knock it down and do a brand new home, which is not in our plans at all :( I would like to know the best I can do with that space without having to do any major development. The alfresco is totally disconnected to the house at the moment.

• PRO
    Undercover Architect
    8 years ago
    Hi 8lila

The challenge you have to address is designing for the orientation of your site as much as you can. Otherwise spaces don't feel great, and you spend a fortune heating and/or cooling them.

Currently your front dining room has one of the best spots in the home sun/natural light-wise. Then your living space. The alfresco has one of the cooler spots in the home - so depending on where you live, this may be good but not great for daylight - so it'll be a dark space.

So yes, ok for a messy, kids rumpus space where TV watching is the main activity, but tricky for other uses.

It will feel disconnected whilst it's not visually connected. So increasing the opening between it and the living will help. The challenge with renovating these spaces is to make sure they feel like indoor spaces (and not outdoor areas you've just enclosed) so the floor level matching the internal floor level, what happens at ceiling level etc. Otherwise it will feel like a converted outdoor area and not part of the spaces of the home.

So the upshot of all of that is that I would make it a rumpus area, let the kids have it as their zone. I think for $80k you will be able to enclose it and line it and put new flooring down. Put big solid (not glass) sliding doors in between it and the lounge room (Centor do a great range of the hardware), let the room be a separate space and a happy, comfy kid zone that you can close off when you need to.

Regards
    Amelia Lee
    www.undercoverarchitect.com
    8lila thanked Undercover Architect
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again Amelia, yes, looks like we will going towards the rumpus room. And you are totally right, we can see the challenge in expanding the space without looking totally disjointed. One thing I don't understand is that the current dining room is actually very dark, there is no much light at all and we often have to have the lights on. I think is because we have lots of trees on the side and front of the house and an extension of the carport cover. From your message feels like you are thinking the area is quite light and nice, which is really not. There is more light in the living room and in the alfresco area.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Amelia has some great ideas so it's well worth consulting a professional to appraise your house structurally with the view to re-modelling to suit your needs: Renovating is more expensive - would you stay in the house? New build - you have to move. Essentially for a Reno the planning is the most important part of the process.

Understand your budget will probably need a contingency plan. How do you want to use & in live this home/aspect/orientation of your rooms makes a huge difference to everything! I would be careful not to block light from entering the middle of the house/kitchen. What about -

Make rear lounge into 3rd bedroom on left hand side/play room on right

Remove laundry to create access to bathroom & 2nd bedroom

Lengthen this wall on kitchen side for fridge

Remove current wall with sink if possible & build new breakfast bar with sink to overlook...

New dining room ...Fill in alfresco (can the current concrete be used or might have to be redone to be level with inside)

Enclose with new roof & glass doors from start of old lounge to garage line and back to house behind 3rd bedroom

Old 3rd bedroom is now new ensuite/walk in robe + laundry with external access)

Close off 2nd bedroom old door/build return wall in kitchen wall for pantry

Current dining becomes formal/adult lounge/entry maybe half wall or screen

Home now open to light & air flow through kitchen & old bathroom to dining & al fresco space

I'm not sure about any costs sorry but every home deserves to be the best it can be if you want to make it happen maybe you could do it in stages as budget permits especially if you commit to something this important.

8lila I'm not a professional but I hate to see a design dilemma like yours. I am passionate about design so I don't want to confuse you with ideas but I wanted to let you know that you will know what is right and do get advice from someone like Amelia who does this for a living so your good money doesn't go to waste. (I just completed a 14 month reno & love it & will share with Houzz when I get the time) Good luck! Louise

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Just to add to the aspect I thought the north was for winter sun and the south was cooler so where your al fresco is seems to be north east to me & just right for capturing that beautiful winter warmth.

8lila thanked LouieT
  • PRO
    Undercover Architect
    8 years ago
    Hi 8lila

Firstly - thanks Louise for your comments and advice to 8lila - for a non-professional designer, you are clearly very passionate design and it is great that you have such an appreciation for its value.

Secondly - north (based on the plan you posted) is towards the front corner of the home (where the dining room is). The glazed facade of the alfresco faces just south of east (ESE). In winter, the sun rises just north of east, and sets just north of west. In summer, it will rise more south of east - pretty much where the alfresco rear facade is facing, and set south of west.

Ideally, in summer (depending exactly where in Australia you are) you want to capture morning sun up until early afternoon - so east to NNW. In winter, again, depending where you are, you want morning to later in the afternoon - although there are parts of Australia where afternoon winter sun is too hot.

Of course, neighbouring homes, landscaping and trees have an impact on this. It appears the only windows in your dining room face west, so that will be impacting how much of the 'right' natural light is penetrating the room.

Opening your home more up to the east (rear garden) will also improve the quality of natural light to those rear spaces. Also remember to think about your roof - perhaps a skylight could be added fairly inexpensively, and if you have north-facing roof on that side of your home, it could have a dramatic impact on the amount of natural light that gets into these spaces. Look at Velux Sky windows - they sit between roofing structure, and can be specified with double glazing and blinds to manage summer heat loads.

Best wishes with it. $80,000 will go quickly if you don't plan things out really well whilst they're all on paper. That's when things are relatively inexpensive - testing ideas, getting firm prices, and being confident in your decisions - before you start on site. Stretch your budget by planning really well.

Regards
    Amelia Lee
    amelia@undercoverarchitect.com
    8lila thanked Undercover Architect
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

8lila you would definitely benefit from going to see Amelia :-) love where you live! Louise

• 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Amelia and Louise, you have been amazing. Our plan is to stay here for at least another 10 years, if not more, so probably worth the investment. Our main worry is that being an old house, by time we start making those changes it will look like a Frankenstein :(. We will definitively need help; will think about all the ideas you guys suggested and chat to an architect before we decide where to to. Amelia, I am hopeless with orientation, but basically in the morning the sun is shinning in our backyard. No much light at the front of the house, just in the afternoon. We are in Melbourne. To make things worse the front of the house is very ugly too, so to make this home really appealing is going to cost us an arm and a leg. Anyway, we will discuss some of your ideas and see what the best approach is. We might even decide keep it as is and just invest in a nice bbq area and keep not using the alfresco. We will see. Thanks again, I really really appreciate you bot taking the time to look into this and make such great suggestions.
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We thought about putting a sky light to improve the light in the dinning but the person who came to see didn't recommend as he said it wouldn't look good with the type of roof we have :(
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    roof below
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I agree, Louise... is just that seems a lot of money to invest in an old house. We might as well step back and rethink if we aren't better off buying a new house somewhere else :( The location is not great either. Problem is where we want to live is very expensive and if we spend the money needed to make the house we want, we will never be able to sell it and recover even the cost of renovating it :( that's why is a dilemma, I really don't know what to do.
  • PRO
    Undercover Architect
    8 years ago
    Louise - thank you for your kind endorsement!! I really appreciate it.

8lila - please check out the Velux skylights online - they look fantastic internally and externally.

I would not put the skylight in that front face of roof as it will face NW / W and just load lots of hot sun into your home. I'd put it on the northern face (the side facing your neighbour).

Painting the roof and rendering the home are surprisingly affordable and a very efficient and dramatic way to change the appearance of your home. Some landscaping and a front fence, with clear paths to the front door that don't take you down the driveway and past bedrooms ... and you won't recognise the place. All inexpensive and bit impact stuff.

Have a look at http://undercoverarchitect.com/pg-denning/ if you want to see how this can change the look of a home.

Regards
    Amelia
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    amazing the transformation, indeed.
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    we would need to replace the windows as well, they are crap; so are the doors ;(
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

i agree with Undercover Architect move the kitchen and laundry into the alfresco (with raised floor) Careful removal may allow re-use of the kitchen cabinets and fittings with only the need for new countertops...and then use the old kitchen space as a storage area with cabinets, wardrobe through to the bedroom, bookshelves, desk, computer area and try the new Solar Skylights (checkout on the Bunnings website) that are DIY cheap and don't have any opening in the roof..priority should be comfortable living for your family and leave cosmetic improvements for later eg if the windows don't leak do they need changing? best of luck!!

• JE C
    7 years ago

Hi 8lila

Forgive me for saying this but it sounds like you have a problem that I did until recently - you don't really like your home. I was stuck with whether to renovate (even before how to) because I was so stressed about what to do and cross at myself for buying the house to start with. A real estate agent told me to do some cosmetic things to the front of the house first because that was cheap and would add value if we sold...and it helped me love the house enough that I was prepared to seriously think about how to renovate.

I don't think your house is ugly- I think it could be cute and stylish without much effort or $$s (maybe without new doors or windows?) and this forum could give you all the ideas.

I agree with OKlouise that comfort etc should be paramount but maybe you need to love the house a bit first to get you over the hurdle of starting?And then if you have to move you will recoup your outlay I think.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

re-reading this new post i'm wondering if there have been any changes since last August and if some relatively minor re-arrangement could make life more comfortable without spending too much eg 1. relocate existing kitchen cabinets to the old living room (with careful planning you may only need some extra benchtops 2. create a storage, study, library area in part of the old kitchen 3. create a master suite by expanding the small bedroom into the old kitchen with access to the ensuite/ guest bath through the laundry 4. enlarge laundry and create rear entry foyer and more direct access through al fresco to garage... btw the measurements on your plan are inconsistent so i've used smallest approximation for my suggestions

• Lila
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

oklouise, you wont believe this. After two years only now we have decided that we definitively need to move the kitchen and started to plan for it. An architect just left our place but her suggestions are throwing our budget to the roof. Your last suggestions might be the light we needed to make some changes without investing too much. We did add an extra bedroom and another living room (I really want another living room so we have a space for the adults and one for the kids). We also added a WIR and a pantry. We will have to rethink everything again now :)

Thank you, thank you!

• oklouise
    7 years ago

look forward to seeing the latest floor plan

• Lila
    7 years ago

We are catching up with the builder tomorrow and will mix our ideas and incorporate yours and see what he says :)

• Lila
    7 years ago

• Lila
    7 years ago

OKlouise, this is what we were thinking initially but we figured it will cost more to relocate the bathrooms and we are ending up with two big pantry and WIR.

Disregard the use of the garage for now. This is something to convert in the future as the budget won’t allow for all of it to happen now.

So, the idea was to make the front bedroom a master suite, convert second bedroom into pantry and WIR, then move the kitchen to alfresco; the current dining becomes a living room for the kids. We add two bedrooms at the back, open the walls between alfresco and living room and make it into an open kitchen/dining and a small living room.

We liked your approach better, which is to keep the two bedrooms and bath where they are and make the other bedroom a master with the existing bath. This will save us money for sure.

After chatting to the builder tonite I am sure this will all be different J

• oklouise
    7 years ago

if there's room on the left hand side of the house for that new living area in this latest plan, ask your builder about adding a similar sized extension at the back of the house on the same side with a "flat" roof to copy the shape of the alfresco and that extension could have the master bed suite (this roof should be cheaper than trying to copy the existing roof and also cheaper than trying to re-arrange too much existing plumbing

..i haven't finished working out this floorplan but i've attached a rough outline for you and will refine it more if you like this idea but you would have 4 bedrooms two living areas an extra bathroom and a distinct kids, parents and family zones

• Lila
    7 years ago
    Hi Louise there is no room in the left side. Jus a narrow corridor. He spent almost two hours st our place and we have changed a lot. Will get the architect to change it and will post here. The new proposal: rearrange the front bathroom to make a master ensuite with the current bedroom - he said it won't affect cost that much. Forget the WIR and pantry. He guaranteed I will have plenty of storage as we will move the bedroom wall closer to the dinning room and we will add two distinct wardrobes one for me and one for hubby. The bedroom on the left remains. We add a laundry and renovate the bathroom and add a small studio near the living area. Then next to where the sink is currently we build another bedroom. And another one in the alfresco area. And will leave some space to connect with the current living room Which then becomes de new kitchen :)
    It will make sense when I show the plans
  • Lila
    7 years ago
    He suggested redo the room half way through the house and make it higher altogether. We are very scared of the cost so I guess this will have a billion changed before we agree with design and budget :(
  • Lila
    7 years ago
    Louise I noticed you didnt suggest anything in the alfresco. This space is one of the main reasons we are renovating as is currently a dead space we use to dump junk :(
  • Lila
    7 years ago
    By redo the room I meant the roof
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

the last plan you posted had another living room on the left which suggested that there was space available down that side so it's very confusing...i hope you're aware of the architects fees for every change of plan , i was concerned about suggesting anything that would change the roof but the builder will be the best person to advise about that

• Lila
    7 years ago

Hi Louise the area available is on the other side in front of the garage . E.g, near the original alfresco, to the right, there is a garage and a large driveway that goes all the way to the front of the house. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for your inputs. I really appreciate your effort. Cheers

• Lila
    7 years ago

Ah, I see what you meant now. That added living room which you are seeing on the left, is the garage, which the builder suggested we converted into a living/rumpus room. We have already rejected that idea since it will increase significantly the costs.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

al fresco included! i've allowed space for a side entry, relocated kitchen and laundry and minimised changes to existing bathroom until funds permit..The goal being to build the new rooms in the al fresco and move the kitchen and laundry, tidy up the old hallway and enlarge the bedroom but you could delay changing the bathrooms adding the powder room and all the new wardrobes (including sharing space from the original master to add wardrobe to the smallest bedroom to "even up" the bedroom sizes)

• Lila
    7 years ago

Very interesting, Louise. Below is what came out of yesterday's meeting (this is just my husband's drawings. We will get the architect to do a proper version once we are all happy with the results. Again, disregard the living space in the garage. My husband is keeping it there but I am 100% sure it wont happen as the costs will be too prohibitive. You do have great suggestions, slightly different from ours, which might help cut cost. Loving your inputs. Thank you so much!

• oklouise
    7 years ago

just realised i posted the variation with the incorrect alfresco width

• Lila
    7 years ago
    We loved it, Louise!!!!! THANKYOU!!!!
  • 8lila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone, so... 3 years later and after many back and forth we have decided to knock down the house and rebuild. The cost of renovating was just too prohibitive and not to mention the unexpected surprises that surely would come with it. We should start the building of the new home in a month or less. Just wanted to thank everyone who helped in this thread, your opinions were very important and helped us decide. We are not doing a custom build, instead we chose one of those pre-designed homes (Dennis Family) but we are very happy and excited. Cant wait for it to be done. Will post photos when ready.

• 8lila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will soon open a post asking for help decorating it :)

• Lila
    4 years ago

Hi everyone just an update on this, we ended up doing a knock down and rebuild (easier and cheaper!). We moved to ou new home two months ago so you will see a lot of posts from me asking for decoration advises :)
    Thank you all for being so helpful and honest with your opinions. It def helped us make the right decision.

• JE C
    4 years ago

Congratulations Lila! You must be thrilled.

• Lila
    4 years ago

We are JE. Very happy :)