kerryncornelissen

which door height and which white paint colour

kerryncornelissen
June 4, 2015

I'm thinking of using 2340mm doors rather than standard 2040 doors in new build to make the rooms look bigger, ceilings will be 2700 in all rooms and pitched in family/kitchen, is it worth the cost and will it look balanced. also thinking of painting ceilings quarter strength dulux lexicon with wall full strength, trims half strength - will the ceiling look fresh or should I paint it ceiling white, I would like a fresh white not with yellowish tone as kitchen cupboards are white

• jbantick

Not a fan of the tall doors as they always look skinny. A transom/glass highlight above looks great in old houses though. 2700 is a nice ceiling height but not super tall. The std doors will be better in my opinion. The only time the higher doors look good is if they're a wide glazed sliding door unit but they should then be teamed with windows at the same head height!

I've never been a fan of the starkness of std ceiling white. Ceiling colour and walls being same shade make cutting in easier to if you're not a professional painter.

N.B. Interiors

Having done a lot of full height doors, I think they work really well in a contemporary home. As far as Lexicon goes, I'd strongly suggest doing large test patches before you go ahead. That colour in particular, can look very cold and sometimes throws blues and even mauves, depending on available light.

having both standard and higher ceilings in my current home i think the extra wall above the standard doors makes rooms look bigger