Houzz Logo Print
christyl_oz

Want to add to a heritage house? Thought of using a removal house?

christyl_oz
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

am just wondering if this is something that anyone else on here has done? If so, I would be very interested to hear about your experiences and compare them! I live in a 115-year-old old Queenslander, which is located in a heritage precinct. Any new building therefore needs to be not only in keeping with the existing building, but also meet Heritage town planning requirements. Obviously, adding a substantial addition to my home which was brand new would normally be exorbitant, given the cost of timber these days and the craftsmanship required. My solution to wanting to extend my home was therefore to start looking some years ago at removal homes that were from a similar era. Last year I finally found the perfect house - I could not really have asked for better in in terms of its age, condition, layout and size. Built around 1880, she is in remarkable condition for her age. Exactly 160 days and a 250 km trip after I bought the house, it was finally moved onto site and is currently in the process of being buult in onto my house. I am fortunate to be able to live on a corner block, so might exist in house will face one direction, and the new house will face the other street, although the verandah railings and entrance etc will be matching. When the work is finished, the renovation will have delivered me the following extra rooms: lounge, dining, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, long covered verandah, book nook, undercover garage, and also facility later for a downstairs room. Here are some pictures of the work in progress...this is my house.

And here is the removal house on its block at Dalby:

Here are pictures of it being moved... Day before moving....

Moving night.... 3.30 am

Jack-knifing her in at 4am: (inches to spare!)

On the block the next morning ... But still needing to be moved 180°

Being moved into position...this took 2 days:

Comments (65)