Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

POLL: Dishwasher or hand-wash?

HouzzAU Polls
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Introducing our first global Houzz poll!

In every country that Houzz has launched in, we will be asking the same question - do you do your washing up by hand or do you use the dishwasher?

Will the Brits be dishwasher fanatics? Will the Japanese heart hand-washing? What about the Americans, Russians, Germans, Italians...?

Of course, the most important community is this one! So, Aussie Houzzers, vote away and don't forget to leave a comment below. We'd love to hear what you do, but also what you prefer!

(When we've got the global results, I'll share them with you here.)

Dishwasher
Hand wash
Other (tell us in the comments)

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga
    8 years ago

Dishwasher!!! Washing dishes is my least favourite thing to do!

• Related Discussions

When do you wash the dishes?

Q

Comments (8)
    I really really really hate washing dishes! So I bought a dishwasher. Bless the little socks of whomever invented it. I whack everything in there as I go then turn it on at night prior to going to bed. VOILA! Clean dishes for morning! I love my magic cupboard.
    ...See More

Hand washing dishes: Towel dry or drying rack?

Q

Comments (7)
    It depends how much time you have, and how many dishes. If you have marathon mountain of dishes, you may have to stop and dry half way through to make room on the rack. Or if one has better things to do one might fill the rack then drape the dry tea towel over the top and run away. Or if there's just a few (one must be fairly bored to bother with "just a few") it does look lovely to dry and put them away and have a clear sink/bench. Once again, I think my views on housework may be peeking through. ;-)
    ...See More

Double sink or dishwasher?

Q

Comments (14)
    Now, that's an idea. There's only three of us in the house, but I love cooking. I do it as a hobby, as well as for the three of us, and, I regularly have people over for a meal. Shall investigate half size dishwashers. I suspect a dishdrawer is the way to go as my friends had a single one in their little apartment.
    ...See More

POLL: Would you rather a freestanding kitchen bin or under-sink bin?

Q

Comments (15)
    Under sink bin added when we moved to our home 18 years ago as there was not a lot of floor room. Opening door was awkward. However now with an updated kitchen it was suggested to have pull out bin in island bench. Chop food on bench then scraps into bins. Too easy. It is practical, more room to move around work zones with re configuration. If you empty regularly it is not a problem with odour and part of the integrated design. Its clever cabinetry.
    ...See More
  • Janine Ferris
    8 years ago

Washing the dishes is not my favourite job but I much prefer the end result of hand washing. No more scratched, smeary glasses. Also packing and unpacking plus drying all the plastic that never dries properly takes almost as long as a hand wash.

• PRO
    Eliot Koey
    8 years ago

More of a question about economies of scale. If you've got a ton of dishes, then its obviously the dishwasher. If all you've got are two dirty plates, I think its common sense to hand wash them.

p.s. Don't forget to clean the dishwasher either!

• junipergirl
    8 years ago

Science has proven that dishwashing is far more economical, less bacteria, and the magic cupboard is a great stress reliever when visitors come and you can hide stuff in it. I made the last one up, ha ha! Seriously though, the amount of bacteria on plates etc after handwashing versus dishwashing, is far higher and more dangerous. (This is actually a true fact proven by science!)

I have had Clostridium Difficle and not everyone I know uses gloves when they wash, and I prefer to kill those little b@stards! (The germs...the germs...not the people!) If you ever had C-Diff you would never wash by hand again, even with wearing gloves!

• Jenny
    8 years ago

Corelle brand are light & slim. A complete set makes stacking and emptying the dishwasher a breeze. Well worth the extra expense to get enough to fill the washer. Have used the same brand crockery for 35yrs. (they are still the original), all white . First dishwasher lasted 29yrs. I'm now 15yrs into my 2nd. As an empty -nester now , it takes at least a week to fill up and there are no dirty dishes around sink or benches. Scrape bits into bin , no need for rinsing .

• User
    8 years ago

Saving for a dishwasher.

• woodjay
    8 years ago

After 6 years without a dishwasher - love love love. Keeps the kitchen clean without constant washing up. Throw nearly anything in - it comes up sparkling. For the 'nearlys' I am going the way of the 'hand wash' - cant be bothered with them any more.

• Sasha G.
    8 years ago

Dishwasher any given day.

• PRO
    archimondo
    8 years ago

Everybody should educate themselves about the chemicals and bleachers in the dishwashing tablets. These chemicals are the most powerful chemicals for breaking down organic compounds. That is their method of cleaning. These chemicals end up in the sewerage outflow into the oceans and rivers and are destroying the DNA of all the micro crustaceans and other small sea creatures which make up the base of the food chain. they are very dangerous to the health of the oceans and therefore are detrimental to us. I wash my dishes by hand and do not use chemicals unless it is absolutely necessary.

• woodjay
    8 years ago

Not connected to the sewer so I will keep using the dishwasher with a clear conscience.

• mcxu8
    8 years ago

I'm glad my friend talked me into buying one. After I started working, I found it tedious to stand there for at least half an hour cleaning the dishes. I found I had more time to relax after a hard day's work.

• Stacey West
    8 years ago
    Dishwasher. As someone who's dishwasher broke 4 months ago. I would kill to have it back but we are starting a kitchen Reno in 4 weeks and counting. Hand washing is way too time consuming.
  • tarotlova
    8 years ago
    Dishwasher for me, I find washing dishes a pain but I always make sure it's a full load. Having said that we are building and it will be just me and the hubby so I am re thinking about buying one as there won't be much dishes with just the two of us any other two person house holds with an opinion on this?
  • Jenny
    8 years ago

I'm a one person household and just keep stacking till I have a full load. If the D Washer broke down I'd use disposable everything till fixed. No kidding, did that once while waiting for old to be removed and new one installed.

• PRO
    My Dezign Exteriors
    8 years ago

Dishwasher - Hot Clean and hygienic - the only problem is the dishwasher can't put them back in the cupboard (rediculous)

• whynottryit
    8 years ago

Love my dishwasher. When raising three kids to now living alone, I hate the tedium of hand washing dishes. Obviously, there are times when I have to hand wash large items but those are few and far between. I agree with My Design Exteriors though. The dishes should put themselves away after cleaning. It's just bad manners that they don't.

• PRO
    Grace Chamia
    8 years ago

Dishwasher just doesn't cut it when you live alone. I'd run out of dishes if I left it to the dishwasher. Hand wash – always get a better clean, too :)

• PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    8 years ago

It's faster to hand wash

• PRO
    Lakshmi
    8 years ago

Dishwasher for the win!

• Lainie
    8 years ago

I love having a dishwasher! I didn't have one in the last place I lived and was surprised how hand washing changed my social habits. I was more likely to go out for dinner with a huge group of people rather than cook for them all at home (and I love cooking!). I found I just couldn't bare spending the whole next day cleaning up and doing dishes after having people over. My mother has also been quoted saying "I would live in a tin shed as long as it had a dishwasher!"

• Susan Redman
    8 years ago

When you have a busy family life at home, anything that can cut down on domestic chores has got my vote. So it's the dishwasher for me, especially when one of my big beautiful sons stacks it (and remembers to turn it on)!

• Jacinta O'Brien
    8 years ago
    When we moved into our dishwasherless house, which also had no space for one in the kitchen, I seriously suggested installing it in my bedroom. I hate washing up. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Hate it.
  • bluepincushion
    8 years ago

We've always hand washed dishes, never own or use a dishwasher ever. Our kitchen sink is right in front of a large window with a view of the backyard, love watching the birds while I do the washing up. I am the clean-as-I-go type of person, can't stand to pile up dirty dishes and wash at the end of the day like some people do. A dishwasher takes up 600mm wide of storage space under the bench, I'd rather have more storage in my small kitchen. My husband doesn't like the harsh chemical that has to be used with dishwasher either, bad for the environment. Washing dishes together brings couple closer, more time to talk without too much distraction. There's positive in everything, even dreaded household chores.

• mykky48
    8 years ago

Simple solution to the dishwasher being too lazy to put the dishes away.....we are a two person household and have two dish drawers side by side!!! As I empty one to serve up our meal the other gets filled with the grubbies, everything from pots to wine glasses goes in them. They take a good size load and beat faffing around in the sink any day;-)

• Lynne Henderson
    8 years ago

lhh

I live alone, am retired,and have a dishwasher for the first time in my life, and after fighting, and winning over guilt, I am in heaven....! Long before I heard of farmhouse sinks, I put a drop in laundry tub in a kitchen twenty years ago, so that I could fill watering cans, buckets, bathe my nephew etc. Under the sink I kept a plastic washing up bowl, a large tray,and a conventional drainer:easy peasy.Now I stack the day's crockery and cutlery in the sink until after dinner. When the top drawer is full, on it goes. The washing up bowl is used for kitchen knives,and pots and pans, and anything bigger is treated to the laundry tub special. The bottom drawer is only used after a dinner party. I love my dishwasher. It makes my dishes, glassware and cutlery sparkling, and I'm sure it uses less water than hand washing.

4 October 2015

• Janetneve3009
    8 years ago

Dishwasher, but I do find washing up therapeutic!

• mykky48
    8 years ago

Therapy is relaxing with coffee and book while the dishwasher does it's thing Janetneve3009. 'Hand wash' is two four letter words and we all know they're very bad words, up there with iron, sink and cook!!!!!

• merylinfaye
    8 years ago

I love my Asko dishwasher, great brand, it has many options, like water temp, top draw only if it's not full, fast wash, heavy wash, etc it actually uses less water for the normal wash than the full bowl on my sink. Our house is on all rain water so no need for the finish product to get rid of the calcium in the town supply that leaves the streaks. As someone with a spine problem, standing in one position doing the dishes is a real pain! We are building what should be our last house at present and I have designed our kitchen to have the dishwasher up off the floor with a draw under it, that way when packing and unpacking there is less of that half bend for my back. Just in passing I have a 'black belt' in dishwasher packing everything goes in and the kitchen is clean in jiffy! When I was working full time it was my sanity, I think a clean kitchen makes every home look like a clean home.

• Christine Griffiths
    8 years ago
    Now that you can easily find eco dishwashing tabs (they work just fine) the final hurdle to declaring the dishwasher our favourite appliance is overcome! If I could have two I would. If I lived alone I would definitely buy one of those single-drawer bench top ones. I resent even rinsing my teacup!
  • myownstyle13
    8 years ago

It is only the two of us but the dishwasher is running almost every day... I use eco dishwashing powder.