Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24962281

Privacy/frosted glass in a toilet door

User
8 years ago

We've a dark hall in our house and, while a skylight/skytube is likely in its future one way we're getting light through to it is by replacing some doors with (privacy, frosted) glass doors. We can see some of the efficacy of this by leaving these doors open (but it's cold here in the Snowies, so translucence is better than heating empty rooms), and we're wanting to replace those doors anyway. You can see in the red circles the doors intended for replacement. However, we're unsure about the toilet door (blue circle). On the one hand, it'll help, on the other hand it doesn't feel quite right. Sure, it's privacy glass, and we know from experiences that even with a light on in there anything more than 10cm from the glass fades away, but we have reservations. Note, from our perspective it's almost never used except by rare guests. Anyway, opinions - do you reckon it'd be okay?

Comments (33)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Some ideas
    User thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Related Discussions

Does a toilet need a door?

Q

Comments (17)
    Garen, Obviously a loo doesn't need a door if it's in a bathroom but I've never ever heard of anyone who would like to use a seperate loo without there being a door. I suggest you keep working on your plan, just keep drawing, or perhaps seek the advice of a professional home designer/decorator and you might be surprised with what is suggested. Sometimes we can't see outside the box so to speak like a professional. My daughter has a loo in her upstairs bathroom, right beside her shower and the shower wall seperates the loo and it is not obvious when you first enter the room, so there is a level of privacy however, if someone was at the handbasin then all would be in clear view, not for me but it does work!!
    ...See More

Frosted film in front door

Q

Comments (1)
    Easy to buy online if you want to look at different patterns, both contemporary and traditional. Also at some hardware stores. I bought my traditional pattern from Penny Miller catalogue, comes to the door. It's been up for 2 years in North sun and not peeled or buckled.
    ...See More

Glass choice and Colour for the front door?

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi - we had the same beer bottle glass look in exactly the same layout/space at our front door & also again above it on the 2nd story in our tiny walk in robe. We replaced the beer bottled glass with frosted glass to still allow light and privacy. As for the door - a dark grey colour like monument or ironstone (similar to colour to what's in your brick) might work? Or if you can afford to, consider replacing both the door/window panel to a large timber door to make your entrance stand out :)
    ...See More

Where should we put the toilet in this small bathroom?

Q

Comments (65)
    Hi AndrewJason, I love cavity sliders. they are there when you want them but not visible when you need the space open. Having said that they cost more, take a bit of wreckage to set up and in you WA case you will be wrecking brick walls to put them in which might be a stretch of mess too far. BUT you will need to weigh up if they are worth it in the end. I do not think the build will be too bulky in the kitchen/dining because it will be superbly practical on both sides and it maybe just a matter of what you are used to. Not sure about "Average Joe...…" we are all good at somethings, mine is plans, function, practicality, solar. Yours might be brain surgery, empathy for unwell folks, kinda or you make the best seafood lasagne in the world... we are all needed to make for a great world: and it really is that!!! Good luck with your splendid home: I think it is beautiful. And PS if you do make the best seafood anything I better have your address....!!!!!!! MK
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan, no, I hadn't considered that, but I surely am now. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    8 years ago

Some doors just shouldn't be translucent...no matter how much you need light :-)

User thanked Lynne Mysliwiec
  • Jessica Hazlewood
    8 years ago

In some older houses there are often doors with a glass 'window' in the top half of the door. Perhaps you could do the same with privacy glass in the upper half.

User thanked Jessica Hazlewood
  • Sim
    8 years ago

If this toilet is hardly ever used, I'm guessing the short hall way is also hardly used, in which case there will be plenty of privacy with a frosted glass door, it's not like the toilet is off a main living area.

User thanked Sim
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    8 years ago

Of course it's a great idea. We do it often in our projects. We have a very similar situation to your design with the bathroom and a laundry room off of a hallwayl.........Our clients love it and no one can see in. Make sure that the glass is really obscure when you hold your hand a few cm away you should be able ot see nothing......I am sure that you will love the results.

User thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Simone, yes, it is hardly ever used, particularly now. It used to be the way out to the backyard, via the "mudroom" of the laundry, but since moving in we've replaced all the windows with double-glazing, and a few floor-to-ceilings were replaced with sliding doors, so now we've better access to the backyard at the other end of the house. It's still used, but mostly just coming in from the car/garage-shed. If we have a guest, it's normally just the one, and this would effectively be their area anyway (the main bedroom is at the other end of the house. So, long-story short, thanks. :)

Thanks to Lampert Dias Architects too - I really appreciate your professional vote of confidence and experience. I remember at a previous house one of our glass doors *didn't* have that "few cm away" thing - it was okay where it was, but it made us aware to watch that in future. I was impressed with the good glass when we first got it on our ensuite there.

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Yes, a friend has translucent glass in her toilet door and it's off the main hallway! although the WC isn't positioned in line with the door.
    We've also used a large sheet of translucent glass in a bathroom window (starts at about waist height above the bath and extends to just below cornice), with the objective of bringing more light into the room. It works very well, pleased with the result, and no concerns about privacy, with light on or off.
    User thanked how2girl
  • Thomas Carne
    8 years ago

A good skylight is your best option. It will provide the light you require and it will cost the same as a translucent glazed door or less and give better light.

User thanked Thomas Carne
  • tegelly
    8 years ago

A friend has a translucent door on her toilet off of the main hall. It is a well-used room and gets traffic past it. It feels a little weird at first but the toilet is far enough away from the door that nothing can be seen. I say go for it if you need all the light you can get :)

User thanked tegelly
  • kantun
    8 years ago

Go for clear glass , Cheaper $ , next time your at Bunnings chase up " Translucent " film , comes in a roll and will stick to glass using water ,like hanging wall paper !

User thanked kantun
  • kj58
    8 years ago

Id have to agree with a previous post, a toilet door should not have any glass in it no matter how frosted it is. Especially if it's not in your own private space (eg. parent's wing). If it's mostly used by guests I'm sure they'd rather turn the light on than be concerned about just how private it is.

User thanked kj58
  • hjdbks
    8 years ago

I did the same for the same reasons but with the toilet picked up an old door with glass just at the top and had new frosted glass cut, amazed at the extra light even that let in.

User thanked hjdbks
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your comments, suggestions and opinions, it's been a great help. I'm probably going to go with the full frosted door. Opinions against it are taken on board and my insurance against me (or guests) not liking it is that I'm probably now going to put more frosted doors through my house in two stages, so I'll do this plan first and if the toilet door doesn't work out I'll use it on the next stage. As for now, back to the pantry - I tell you something, Mitre 10 kitchens don't have half the DIY-ease of IKEA kitchens (though they're better than the Mitre 10 wardrobes). :)

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Thanks for updating us Mark. So many times comments are given and there's no response or update from the original poster. As you say you can always change the door out if the result isn't what you want. Good luck with your reno!
    User thanked how2girl
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    Sorry "Marc"
    User thanked how2girl
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the self-correction, jajlynn. :D

PS. I either want a G&T and a long, reading-my-book soak in that bathtub of yours, or I could just be inspired to give our own main bathroom a bit of an upgrade - ours definitely wants a claw-foot tub. I might have to frost the window in case the electricity-meter-reader walks past. ;)

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Yes that is a good bath to soak in (my feet don't) touch the end of it! It actually started out beige with gold feet. We coated the inside with Rustoleum tub & tile and painted the outside, sprayed the feet. Looks so much better.
    Here it is "before", also shows the dble hung window (totally unusable over the bath and very dark), that we replaced with the translucent window (truly you can't see through it)
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    Marc if you're interested we've also done an IKEA kitchen, which I'm really happy with.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's a lovely window, but I can understand why the replacement. And the new colours on the bath look fab.

Our property has an old, rusted cast iron tub upturned on it just inside the houseyard, but I'm going to cut it in half and make two seats for out on the front verandah. The weight will come in handy during the big blows that come through.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, we did a big IKEA kitchenn when we lived up in Queensland - it was a trial getting the Brisbane store to get stock in, and we had to drive the 3 hour return trip several times. But the assembly was (with the requisite cursing as a pressure valve) relatively easy and very confidence-giving. It's what has inspired us to do more DIY down here - and it's a bit of a necessity at time, when IKEA is an 11 hour return trip. ;) Our little Mitre10 is good, but their flatpack... well the wardrobes nearly killed me in frustration and occasional collapse during assembly. :D

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Interesting...over here in Perth IKEA will deliver to the south west, which is where the bath and the kitchen are, for $0, which is amazing ($75 in metro area). I was a bit sceptical about receiving everything ordered but it worked out well and only needed to swap over 1 door front which got damaged in transit.
    Here's a before & after of the kitchen.
  • kooky_karen
    8 years ago

I remember using a toilet that had translucent glass in the door and although you couldn't see through it, I was uncomfortable because you could see the shadows of people passing.

Why not put in a skylight in the hallway?

User thanked kooky_karen
  • Belindee
    8 years ago
    I love this idea. I'm putting a frosted window panel in my powder room to let light in from the skylight from the laundry which is behind the powder room. Letting natural light in by any means is thumbs up. You can reassure your guests if necessary by "testing" it.
    User thanked Belindee
  • Belindee
    8 years ago
    Enjoyed reading the ikea kitchen comments. I'm embarking on getting mine together in the next few weeks..the kitchen is currently living all packed up in my lounge room.
  • PRO
    Tyrrells Architects
    8 years ago

Nothing wrong with translucent glass to a toilet in my opinion - in fact, I have just done the exact same thing in an almost identical situation in my home.
    Carefeul selection of the glass & lighting is the key - I find acid etched glass better then 'milk' glass for shadowing, but have a look at some samples & do the 'distance from glass' test.
    With lighting, remember that a silhouette is just a shadow cast on glass - locate the lighting to prevent shadows being cast on the glass, and you eliminate silhouetting (ie. lighting close to glass)
    Good luck!

User thanked Tyrrells Architects
  • PRO
    MAGUIRE + DEVINE ARCHITECTS
    8 years ago

If you're in a cool climate you may not be heating the bedrooms and hallway to the same degree as living areas. Single glazed doors will allow far more heat loss than semi-solid core doors. Glass will also provide less acoustic separation for the bedrooms, and the toilet!

One decent double glazed skylight in the hallway would be my suggestion, you might be surprised by how little they actually cost.

User thanked MAGUIRE + DEVINE ARCHITECTS
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Once again, thanks everyone for your thoughts. The idea of a skylight is definitely on the cards - the glass doors are something that we just like on all the other doors, with the toilet just being the question. Also, a skylight might be a bit beyond our DIY (sky-tube maybe less so?) and trade work down here takes time (I'm not just in Snowy Mountains rural, but then down a country road 25km, plus another 2km of uphill dirt driveway, and the trades don't always show willing) - things we can't do ourselves take time and frustration.

What Maguire Architects says about heat loss is important to us though (thus the double-glazing, storage heaters, etc.), so I've particularly taken that on-board.

As for IKEA (jajlynn, Belinda)...

jajlynn, that kitchen looks fantastic. I love those overhead lights - they really suit the style. Brisbane IKEA did delivery to Sunshine Coast, but the cost was pretty exorbitant, and they wanted to charge that each time more of the ordered stock came in. It got so frustrating having an incomplete kitchen, waiting for stock, we eventually brow-beat them into sending the stuff from a Sydney store (something they were very unwilling to do, even transfers between stores). They sent whole cupboards by Australia Post, slathered in standard stamps - it was weird. But it got done, and it got put together. Before and afters below

Belinda, I'll be honest with you: as much as the IKEA kitchen is better than the Mitre10 kitchen, instruction-wise, you're gonna swear. You're gonna have to paint over the blue when you're done. ;) Just remember, when you're swearing, and probably at each other (assuming there's an other here - otherwise, at yourself and everything else), but it's just a kitchen - you'll get it done, it'll look great, you'll be justly proud and you'll want to do your next one (maybe not straight away though ;) ). That's why we're doing stuff here straight away in the new house - it gave us confidence to do it or learn trying.

Now if you'll all excuse me I've got to get back to swearing at pantry wall cabinets, at my partner, at Mitre10, at the government, at that thing over there whatever it is, and at cursed fate that placed these suddenly-discovered slightly-wonky walls between me and happiness. ;)

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Thanks Marc, for your comment about my pendant lights. Do you know what, I made those out of welded fabric (light welded mesh), then threaded it with white melamine veneer tape from Bunnings.
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    @Belinda Arbon
    Best of luck with your kitchen. I echo Marc's comments, it will be frustrating, perplexing, confusing, and you'll end up with a mountain of cardboard to dispose of... but when you're done you can say "we did that ourselves" which will be so rewarding.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    jajlynn, I'm having an "Oh. Em. Gee. No. way." moment because that is some impressive craft - I honestly pointed them out because I thought they were a designer-wow-factor (which I guess they are, but you know what I mean). I'm now definitely going to make those lamps I've been telling myself I'm going to make.
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    Marc
    Go for it! Nothing better than making stuff yourself.