Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

Yay or nay? Freshwater pool-ponds

HouzzAU Polls
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The tides, they are a a-changing.

The domestic swimming pool continues to evolve. Take this example from Perth that merges your pool with water gardens and landscaping to create a natural look - to give you the feeling of swimming in a lake or river.

Would you prefer this to a regular pool? What do you like about it?

See more

Yay
Nay
Hang on - I have a question (post below)

Comments (23)

• Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    I wouldnt prefer it swimming wise but otherwise I'd love it!
  • Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 years ago

I'll stick to traditional thanks! Don't want any froggies taking a swim with me.

• Jaki
    8 years ago

I'd love one of these ! All the local wildlife would have a ball in there. Lots of frogs, swans etc around my place. I'd get myself a tiny little boat and float around in there with my dogs.

• Najeebah
    8 years ago
    I think I'll go to the nearest dam if I want a swim in it. for home, a regular pool rather
  • PRO
    Don Osborne & Associates
    8 years ago

Does it come with a wave machine ?

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

I would imagine it would have issues.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

It would be a huge improvement on my ship wreck!!!

Collection · More Info

• Linus Reimann-Kaißer
    8 years ago

I'd love to. Since my childhood I have prefered natural waters over over-chlorinated swimming pools. Unfortunately my garden is to small for such a treasure.

• suancol
    8 years ago

in the driest state on the driest continent no way

• rambleonhewey
    8 years ago

I love the look of them, and the chemical free ethos. And there are some amazing examples in Europe too. However, having worked in a swimming pool shop for 5 years, I know how hard it can be at times to keep a regular swimming pool looking good. Particularly when there's extreme weather, eg massive rainfall followed by hot weather. What happens when these pools go out of balance, how long do they take to come back?

• karenleonn
    8 years ago
    I have to agree with last post They look fantastic but I can't get past "ear infection" issues! I would have one just to look at and create an ecosystem in the backyard - not for human swimming
  • Keita M
    8 years ago
    Yes please! I'd rather swim with frogs than chemicals any day.
  • Kerrie Langloy7
    8 years ago

Absolutely love it! Would like to know more about them. I have heard about a water filtration system that uses ultraviolet light instead of chlorine or salt water to keep the water clean so i'm guessing these pools use that? Can anyone out there direct me to more info or a place that converts regular pools into this?

• Michael Cave
    8 years ago

Check out www.clearpond.com.au Natural swimming pools need maitenance just like chlorinated ones. Just like chlorinated pools, once the balance is OK they are healthier than chlorine, especially for those with ear or skin issues. Its like swimming in a healthy river. Natural swim ponds incorporate biological filtration which is a natural process and Ultra Violet units for clarification and sterilisation.

• James & Vin
    8 years ago

Love them! Anything to bring me closer to nature in my home!

• Kerrie Langloy7
    8 years ago

thanks Michael Cave. I guess the downside is that they're so new you wouldn't be able to get your regular pool guy to come out & clean & maintain like a regular pool. Interesting & worth investigating though.

• Michael Cave
    8 years ago

There are some really good pond maintenance people in Australia these days. A professional pond maintenance company can look after swimponds. Its easier than you might think.

• chasechristian
    8 years ago

Where's the compulsory pool fence?

• ace rules t.k
    8 years ago
    wait, who cleans it?
  • PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    8 years ago
    I love it and wondering if it costs less to run?
  • fianou
    8 years ago

I have wanted one of these for years!

]=]

\

• Elyse
    8 years ago

I'm swimming in one right now in Germany, no body believes that the pool has no chemicals, no filter or pump. Its clear! We discourage frogs (although they occasionally find their way) and there is no fish. This pool has been around for 20 years now and has never caused a problem for the owners, best part its super low maintenance- the plants do all the work.