Houzz Logo Print
joanneemery

"Kitchen help we want to get rid of breakfast bar"

home
8 years ago
We are looking at changing the layout of existing kitchen pics included. The area is to small for a breakfast bar as only one person can work in the space. We are looking at extending the cabinets down the wall toward the A/C on the sink side with some glass cabinet overhead to keep it looking light above. A 75cm cooktop with a 90cm range and no overheads to keep the open look. The wall with oven will have a new 60cm s/steel oven with black door and microwave built in above with pot draws below and a cupboard above. Cupboard above fridge. I guess I'm nervous about not having a breakfast bar or peninsula but I just cant see this room working with those features. There is quite a lot of space at the other end of the room for family and guest this area looks out onto a sandstone courtyard and pool.

Comments (10)

• Sharon Bouchard
    8 years ago

Can't wait to see the results of your plans! I think you'll be fine without a breakky bar - assuming you do have somewhere else to sit and eat! I also thinks it helps to have chairs that can easily be moved so you can talk to the person in the kitchen.

home thanked Sharon Bouchard
  • Melissa
    8 years ago
    will you still have enough prep space?
    home thanked Melissa
  • PRO
    home
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As we are extending the floor cabinets along a wall were there is currently no cabinets I'm not loosing any prep area, taking out the breakfast bar will make it possible for 2 people to be in the space the new layout should provide for 2 work spaces. I do have a Kitchen Designer coming out this week so I'm keen to hear their thoughts and suggestions.

• PRO
    home
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Don't regret loosing the breakfast one little bit. So happy with our renovated kitchen.
  • richtwin1986
    7 years ago

Estimated price for this update. I am purchasing a home with the same layout that you previously had and I am wanting to "open up" the kitchen shortly after closing.

• PRO
    home
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The cabinetry was $8k with lots of soft closing drawers and a lemans corner unit which is brilliant and well worth the money.
  • richtwin1986
    7 years ago
    than NH so for the Intel, did u have to do any work to the floor?
  • Lisa Imbruglia
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

looks fantastic.. at some stage I want to change my kitchen and extend it but just move the breakfast bar back a bit and make it longer. That would add 3 or 4 drawers 90 wide to the end of my breakfast bar and make the corner cupboard usable. A new caesarstone benchtop would top it off nicely I hate the laminate I have now.. In the meantime while I am waiting to afford to do this I am going to just get the 3 or 4 drawer unit and put a wooden top on it and place it at the end of my brekky bar. I will be able to use the cabinetry when I remodel the kitchen. In this photo you can just see the edge of the hallway wall.. if I extend out to be level with that then it will look right.. what you cant see in this photo i my pantry as there is none. Currently I use a hallway cupboard for all my baking and spices. And you can see that I have a long window just to the left front of the breakfast bar. So cant extend past that. So not much to work with.. the hole is where my fridge sits. These are photos of the setup pre purchase.

• joanne_emeey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Richtwin1986 - We replaced the existing laminate floating floor and carpet with a spotted gum floating floor throughout the house but not in bathrooms and laundry.