Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10560851

What is the first thing you see in this picture

User
8 years ago

Jackson Pollock's "Blue Poles" 1952

http://nga.gov.au/exhibition/abstractexpress/Default.cfm?IRN=36334&BioArtistIRN=17393&MnuID=3&GalID=1&ViewID=2

This poll was suggested by my Hubby.

A bad hair day.
Patterns in seeming randomness
Electrical poles in a hurricane
Cogito ergo sum
Shortsighted knight viewing a battlefield from horseback.
The other meaning of life
Other, please state.

Comments (61)

• Spencer Betz
    8 years ago

I see 'feet' ... It looks like a work by Beverly Doolittle... I think that's her name.. going to check... Yup...

"Christmas Day Give or Take a Week" by Bev Doolittle

Signed Limited Edition Lithograph, Unframed
    Image size: 15.5 X 15.5 in.
    Edition Size: 4581

After the giant Sequoias were established as a national park in 1890, Congress also designated the "General Grant" tree as the Nation's Christmas tree. How appropriate with the cinnamon-red bark and "Christmas" green foliage against a backdrop of "snow-white" snow. As much as I would have liked to paint the "General Grant" tree - it just didn't have a very good cave. So I made up my very own "Christmas Sequoia" for this mountain man to find shelter, peace, and warmth in on Christmas Day. He has unloaded his horse, gathered wood, made a fire, and rigged up a makeshift cooking stick for his meal of a local game bird. He has even taken time to cut down a small tree and decorate it with his meager possessions - a locket, a pocket watch, an Indian shell necklace, and a mirror. I would imagine the mountain man's calendar was not accurate, therefore I've decided to title this painting, "Christmas Day Give Or Take A Week".--Bev Doolittle
    Only One Available at this Price

User thanked Spencer Betz
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Like dry cut grass that was glued to a canvas then painted.
    User thanked Miranda Rose
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very interesting, Spence.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

love bev doolittle spence. And my thoughts almost exactly. Either dead trees in fall leaves. or one of those hidden ones. The trees are actually words? But not in american, I tried, backed up as far as my eyes would let me. lol

i agree that, I have never found anything I could appreciate about Pollock, except maybe that million, if I had it. Marjie have you never heard, we all have one good piece of art in us. telperen I feel the same way, about jazz, acid rock, really hard rock, actually anywhere you "jam". Also about opera, do not get it at all.

chook, sure you have not been running around on it, sure looks like chicken prints, maybe you should try making one. Oh and then sell it of course. lol

All I can say is I am glad it is Australia that took the hit. Over here it would have been my poor home state of FL. lol

User thanked havingfun
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

I'm poll'arised by this Jackson Poll'ock $1.3 M bunch of blue poll's!

User thanked LouieT
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

any relation to margaret, if so, I would bet you were happy it was australia too. lol Tell you though where I live now Eastern shore - DE, they call it Delmarva-DE, MD, and VA all together. It is big on chickens here Allen, Perdue, Mountainaire. one community i was in opened an historical society (this was MD) so they could get back the stuffed body of their headless chicken from the county historical society. And I thought Tampa was bad with our fake pirate invasion, Gasparilla, so named for Jose Gaspar famed pirate, never stepped foot in Tampa. lol Any way, if they had sold the painting locally there would have been a bidding war, and then it would be which chickens were smart enough to make it. lol

User thanked havingfun
  • misslizzie21
    8 years ago
    I'd like to be able to say something lofty and condescending implying the general public are philistines, ignorant of great art and unable to understand where the painter was coming from. I'd also like to throw in something to the effect that as I live near it, and visit it so regularly to absorb its power and influence I know and understand every brush stroke.

But that would be lying.

Its a statement piece using up wall space. Crowds are drawn to it to gasp in wonderment, not at the painting itself but to recall how much it cost the gallery in the first place.

But isn't that what art is all about?
    User thanked misslizzie21
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    I thought the same as tarotlover. I thought it was an arial photo of a rubbish dump.
    User thanked wuff
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

Has anyone noticed that it seems more and more that art, whether it be film, written, or painted seems based on people not being able to understand it. I believe that what is really loved by the critics is they create the art work. As long as the artist, director, poet, whatever keeps their, excuse me, pie hole, shut, the critics actually control what it is. I think they especially love unnamed pieces. With these "Works" I think any of us could be critics. Stick you nose in the air, your hand under your chin, and make some profound sounding statements. Bigger the critic is, better the sale. Forgive me anyone who actually has talent in these fields. Anyone else feel this way?

User thanked havingfun
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Looking at it again it looks kind of like artistically arranged silly string.
    User thanked Miranda Rose
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I see things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I see c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All these moments lost in time, like tears… in… rain. Time… to die…

User thanked User
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    8 years ago
    A mess that needs cleaning.
    User thanked Jacinta O'Brien
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    8 years ago
    What, actually, is it.
    User thanked Jacinta O'Brien
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Well! if you don't know, we ain't telling! lol

User thanked havingfun
  • Najeebah
    8 years ago
    the meaning... well does anyone find it plausible that there's a code hidden in the black lines? maybe a mix between morse and telly counting and some other code to be deciphered... which, when figured out, leads to... ok my imagination has run out
    anyone read Clive Cussler? he sometimes creates scenarios in which people (present times) discover that a legend/fable (of past) was true. he wrote one of 20000 leagues under the sea, as if Verne knew had written fiction based on what he knew to be fact
    User thanked Najeebah
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

SOS perhaps? no no, wait for it, LOL. now that is a code, or maybe 42? he he

User thanked havingfun
  • tw123456
    8 years ago

Black barbed wires.

User thanked tw123456
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

so those multicolor splats are actually.....? You know what, never mind, sorry I though of it. Don't look ethel!!!

User thanked havingfun
  • marjie1059
    8 years ago

Okay, chook, what's up here? Why did your hubby suggest this? Is this research for a thesis?

User thanked marjie1059
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, marjie, he has a unique dry sense of humour. These "what is the first thing" polls were coming through. The Blue Poles is a very famous picture in Australia, and when he suggested it as a "what is the first thing you see" I started laughing, as it is a very chaotic picture.

• Rina
    8 years ago

Jackson, honey, I'm here. I love it. I love Pollock. He's like an electric shock -- this one, if I have to be representational about it, is a wild, scarey, exhilarating, horrifying inferno. Or not. Doesn't matter.

User thanked Rina
  • User
    8 years ago

I like it too Rina. It's intricate and lets me get lost in it.

User thanked User
  • junipergirl
    8 years ago

I see the bushfire with the rain that came. It really happened to me! That is exactly what it looked like in 2009 when that big fire came to Victoria. At near dusk with the dead trees and the fire raging all around in the hills, the smoke and fire created its own weather and it rained and we had lightning! It was amazingly surreal, and incredibly scary. Yep, that's exactly what it looks like to me.

User thanked junipergirl
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

am i the only american here? maybe i should emigrate. adopt a kangaroo or something. lol

User thanked havingfun
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Juniper, it came to our district the year before we came.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, many zoos allow "adoptions" of different animals. The Eastern Quoll is endangered, and extremely cute.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Taken by Barritt and May

• User
    8 years ago
    Dead trees in a forest fire
    User thanked User
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

i am not sure how we got on quoll's but i loved the film, actually have not seen one of those. always something new to learn. like your opossums are so cute, ours not so much.

User thanked havingfun
  • tw123456
    8 years ago

havingfun, no, you are not the only American, I am one too ;0).

User thanked tw123456
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

great i was beginning to worry my accent might change or something. although i have met several australians since moving here, with strong connections, you know family and the like. i would expect everyone to go big city or fl or ca or move to the mountains somewhere here is so, out of the way. i mean i know i moved here but you always wonder why would they move here. like when californians used to move to florida, i always asked why?such heavy thoughts for a little quoll like me to ponder. lol

User thanked havingfun
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Probably for work. Or Disneyland.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

chook it is true there are places in america farther from disneyland, actually east coast it would be world, but not many so out of the way as delaware and the eastern shore. and most of the towns i am talking about have no more than 500 homes, yeah, so i guess it is work, but are you guys used to traveling that far? from here you often go up to 3 hours to get to a good job.

User thanked havingfun
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The max people are willing to travel is usually 2hrs. Alot of that in Sydney and Melbourne is sitting in heavy traffic.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

obviously you have never met the bay bridge, i don't think it is ever not being worked on and the traffic is so bad they actually change directions of the lanes several times a day, and this is despite the fact it is actually 2 bridges with 3 lanes ea. and I thought tampa was bad. lol

User thanked havingfun
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There needs to be more job creation out in country towns, where property is cheap. Hubby now only commutes 15mins each way .

• junipergirl
    8 years ago

@havingfun I am GOING to US next week for my 5th visit. I know what you mean about the Bay Bridge! Been over it a few times and walked it several. That changing lanes thing is crazy, but we do have similar things here on our roads in Melbourne during peak hour. (Wait, peak hour is ALL DAY now! LOL!)
    My uncle used to travel 3 hours each way each day to get to his job. He did that for over 30 years! Imagine! My friend will drive two hours each way from here (east side of Melbourne) to the other side. US roads are much better than here and the time wasting of driving rather than public transport (which is crap compared to most US larger cities) here is nuts. I think the Blue Poles picture is what people start to see in their heads when they sit in their cars at the EastLink ending near Melbourne CBD for ages. Gah!

User thanked junipergirl
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In Sydney it got to the point where Sundays were just as slow traffic as weekdays.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

apparently you have never tried public transport in my hometown. tampa, fl. it is hideous. max I have traveled is about 1.25 hours. worst trip and greatest was the 24 miles from crapo, say crepe o, to cambridge md. I once counted 49 hairpin turns, during that trip. all that on land so flat, you were lucky if it was not underwater.

User thanked havingfun
  • mykky48
    8 years ago

Art? kids do better than that mess when they get into the paint bottles!

User thanked mykky48
  • karenleonn
    8 years ago
    I can remember when it was first hung at Sydney opera house before it went to new gallery. It hung upside down for 2 weeks before anyone noticed. Or cared!!!
    User thanked karenleonn
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lol!

• marjie1059
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Dead trees in a forest fire...Interesting. I remember when Mt. St. Helens blew her top in 1980...photos in National Geographic were amazing. No life anywhere....for a while.

User thanked marjie1059
  • bargainhunter
    8 years ago

the first thing I see is a big mess. I'm a neat freak! and the only reason it caused a stir is because of the ridiculous price tag for rubbish! (and I think someone said it looked like an aerial shot of a rubbish dump)

User thanked bargainhunter
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE DO NOT POST, THANKS.

• Zenna Boroevich
    7 years ago

scar tissue under a microscope

• PRO
    Nasseri Associates
    7 years ago

Some sort of messy forest . It just not relaxing nor inviting to the eyes

7 years ago
    Love the painting in its entirety. Cannot appreciate it here.