Houzz Logo Print
a_p_r

Need help with exterior colours / facade

A P
8 years ago

Hi everyone,
We need your help with selection of exterior colours / facade
We are building a 2-storey house in Burwood East.
Our selections so far are:
- Bricks: Austral - Homestead Tan with off-white mortar.
- Roof tiles: Boral - Macquarie - Quartz
- Gutter, Fascia, Downpipes, Rainhead, Parapet Caping are all: Colourbond Dune.
- Windows: Aluminum Merino
- We plan to have a wrought iron grill balcony and and front brick fencing with wrought iron grills as well.
- We have 2 single garages on either side of the house (See the photo attached).

- We want to have external mouldings/architraves around the windows and garages
- With render colors, we have up to 2 color choices.
-
We are not sure whether to render the entire facade or just render the
middle section - with pillars and front entry and balcony area.
- Also, not sure, whether to select the colours of mouldings / external architraves to be the same colours as windows?

We would sincerely appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Comments (32)

• jbantick
    8 years ago

Which external mouldings are you looking at using, manufacturer, etc.?

What style will they give the house?

A P thanked jbantick
  • A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi jbantick,

Thank you for a prompt input.

- We haven't decided on the design / style of mouldings yet. Hence, don't know, who the manufacturer would be! (Any suggestions?)

- We want to give a mixture of contemporary with slight french provincial feel to the facade (without breaking the bank!!) - I know it is asking for too much - but something similar (- but not exactly identical) to the below photo:

We would appreciate any suggestions!!

• Related Discussions

Need help for my exterior paint colour and exterior design

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi, I like the overall concept of the darkish grey, it suits the home. I am a colour consultant and have been working with the Dulux range for 17 years and you are on the right track with the Guild Grey. The Dulux Signature will give you a dark blue house. Another option if Simone Weil which is just a bit lighter than the Guild Grey, if you find that one too dark. Sample pots and A4 brush outs onto white cardboard are the best way to decide, because computer programs give an overall impression of the "look" but are not accurate with colour choices, you can't beat the human eye. All the best, it's going to look great.
    ...See More

Need help with facade colour

Q

Comments (12)
    I would hold off repainting until the front yard is done, the driveway and the lawn. It will look entirely different against the fresh green of a lawn! I personally like that colour, it's a nice change from all the greys around.. It's warm and inviting and I think it balances well with your garage door. And by the way terracotta and similar hues are coming back in fashion! .
    ...See More

Need help picking facade colours!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi,Love the timber slat feature on the exterior of the home. I have a few suggestions with seeing many new homes based in Sydney South West. Either go really Light or very dark colours to make the timber pop. Landscaping Tip: Whatever colour you use do the same for the hardscaping if you need garden walls, this will make the plants and new turf complete the home.
    ...See More

PLEASE HELP! Need help with exterior colours

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you even the deck poles? and the front deck has been stained should we paint that or leave it stained? should we paint around the door ironstone ? sorry lol i have no idea
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello average punter,

What colour do you intend to have for the garage doors? And have you decided on a front door - painted or stained?

A P thanked Adorned Interiors
  • A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Garage colour - Paperbark (Sectional panel door)

Front entry door - Timber finish - PMAD111 - Corinthian doors (as per below):

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Thanks. Am I right in saying that the roof tiles - Quartz - is a pale silver-grey colour?

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, that's correct. Please see below:

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Thanks for that clarification - colours on the internet aren't always accurate. Are your selections fixed? My concern is that your colours blend and compliment each other. Too many varying colours will not be visually appealing. I suggest that there is one particular colour that is consistent - ie, the render, the mouldings, the garage door at the very least are the same colouring. Then, the other colours will need to have a basic cohesion - either brown or grey based. I like the look of your elevation plan and also like the picture that is your inspiration for mouldings and slight provincial feel. I believe you can achieve that if your basic colours are cohesive. Note the picture below - the roof is a darker shade of the render and they have wrought iron on the balcony and at the front gate (similar to what you want to achieve). Therefore they are only dealing with roughly three colours - bricks, render/roof and wrought iron. I believe the middle section with the pillars, entry and balcony section will be enough to render. Hope that helps :)

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Have a look at this website - you can play around with colours of brickwork and render and roofing etc - www.colourtouch.com.au/. Although they don't have your exact selections you will get the idea of the overall picture

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dear Adorned Interiors,

Thank you very much for your valuable input!! You made us feel good about our front elevation.

The colour selection is still not confirmed and finalized, so there is a possibility of changing.

What would you suggest? - With our Homestead Tan bricks and pale cream roofing? What should be render colour?

We would surely be taking your advice seriously.

• PRO
    Andrew Ferris
    8 years ago
    Try dulux prairie dust and hog bristile, with the darker for the porch. popular colour selection
    A P thanked Andrew Ferris
  • A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Andrew,

We have tentatively selected Prairie dust and Russian Toffee....

I was thinking about Hog Bristle...But I will give it a consideration.

Much appreciate your input.

• PRO
    International Design - Interior Architecture
    8 years ago

Hi Average Punter,

Why not commission me to give you three mood colour boards for your exterior based on all of above. You can then see what your working with and which scheme of the three is your favorite.

Warm Regards

Liz

A P thanked International Design - Interior Architecture
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

All the best Average punter - hope you are delighted with the end result

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Liz and Thank you, Adorned Interiors!

@ Liz - I appreciate your concerns and your suggestion of hiring a professional.
    However, we are on a tight budget (as my username suggests!!) and as we have a basic understanding of the colour scheme, we just want other people's opinions / inputs, as to about their experiences, Wins, dilemmas, regrets, etc...What they are happy with...If they can point us if there is anything that we can't see in our blind-spot.

So, I would eagerly wait for other Houzz members to be generous and help us with our project.

Appreciate your concerns.

averagepunter

• PRO
  • A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi All,

We are considering the below changes to our earlier colour selection:
    A) Window frames - Surfmist Satin??
    B) Render colour - Hog Bristle Half
    C) Garage doors - Colour - Timber finish - same as main entry door colour.
    D) Mouldings colour: Hog Bristle Half
    E) Downpipes - to be changed to something brown - which merges with bricks.

What do you think? - We would much appreciate your input.

Thanks.

• andrewschem
    8 years ago

Here's a photo to give you an idea of the bricks you have chosen (Homestead Tan).

This is with natural mortar (i.e. white sand, grey cement). The vinyl weather boards are Satin Grey and the render is Dulux Calf Skin.

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone,
    We have changed our selection of exterior colours / facade
    We are building a 2-storey house in Burwood East.

Our selections so far are:
    - Bricks: Austral - Homestead Tan with off-white mortar.
    - Roof tiles: Boral - Macquarie - Walnut
    - Gutter, Fascia, Downpipes, Parapet Caping are all: Colourbond Jasper.
    - Windows: Aluminum Jasper
    - We plan to have a wrought iron grill balcony and and front brick fencing with wrought iron grills as well.
    - We have 2 single garages on either side of the house (See the photo attached).

- Garage door (Sectional panel doors) colours: "Colorbond - Caoba"

- Front entry door - Timber finish - PMAD111 - Corinthian doors (as per below):

- We want to have external mouldings/architraves around the windows and garages
    - With render colors, we have up to 2 color choices.
    -
    We are not sure whether to render the entire facade or just render the
    middle section - with pillars and front entry and balcony area.
    - Also, not sure, whether to select the colours of mouldings / external architraves to be the same colours as windows?

We would sincerely appreciate your help.

Thank you.

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Great news average punter! I am pleased you have selected a darker roof colour and your jasper guttering etc will tie in nicely with your roof colour. Also a top choice for your garage door - matching your front door is much better. I suggest trying jasper in 1/4 strength - this will keep the colouring coordinated

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Remember, the colour you select will look lighter when applied.

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Adorned Interiors, Thank you very much for your valuable input.

Just wondering, how would Jasper go as the external mouldings (around the windows and garage) colour? - especially with Hog Bristle Half as a background?

Also, How do we get Jasper in 1/4 strength? The colour selection just says "Colorbond Jasper" - How do I find out about Jasper in 1/4 strength?

My wife is a bit afraid of using Hog Bristle Half as render colour, as she is scared that it would look very pale and it may get rain-water marks / get blackened etc...

What do you think?

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

You can get any colour paint you like in any strength - 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full - its only a colour, so they will mix it to your request. Have you made yourselves a colour board? if not, you will need to get all your selection colours together and then go to bunnings or a paint shop and get some sample pots of the colours you are debating. (yes it will cost to get sample pots, but seriously you need to do it - and get the varying strengths in the same colour as well). If you are worried about the render colour marking, go the 1/2 strength on the render and 1/4 on the mouldings. Your Wow factor will come with your varying textures - brickwork/render and trims/timber doors, and the wrought iron. I'm guessing you have exterior lighting? some beautiful exterior lights will be the icing on the cake.

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Builder is very keen on us going for fully rendered facade.

But my wife and I aren't convinced!! What do you think?
  • PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

I would say stick to your guns and have what you like!! if you are not sure, get together a stack of rendered house pics and compare them with partially rendered, and see which you keep coming back to.

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Adorned Interiors,

Yes, we have decided that we will go with the below:

- Walnut roof tiles (Traditional profile - Macquarie)

- Gutter, Fascia, Downpipes, Parapet Caping are all: Colourbond Jasper.
    - Windows: Aluminum Jasper

- Upstairs exterior would be - Render (Colour - Hog Bristle Quarter) with mouldings around windows - colour of mouldings would be: Hog Bristle.

- Downstairs exterior would have exposed bricks (Homestead Tan) and mouldings around windows and garages - colour of mouldings would be: Hog Bristle.

- Render for the pillars would be: Jasper

We put it all together on a board / table and we got a really good feeling.

Thank you for your advice, we look forward to the end result...

• PRO
    Adorned Interiors
    8 years ago

Excellent!!
    Congratulations - it is a good feeling to have it sorted. We built a new
    home 18 months ago and I have to confess, choosing exterior colours was the
    most challenging for me at the time. I was super worried that I had selected
    something way too dark and gloomy .. but guess what? - its fine!
    The colour will definitely look lighter when applied. Hope your upstairs exterior is not too light. Would love to see some pics when you're done.

• asquithoatley
    8 years ago

A bit of advice for the render- do not be in a rush to paint it. It must be fully dry or the paint will bubble and peel off. Allow 4 weeks for a best result.

A P thanked asquithoatley
  • A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi asquithoatley,

Thank you for your advice.

We will ensure that the builder follows that time-frame.

Cheers.

• A P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think, I am getting greedy with getting advice from you all smart people...

Please help us out with this dilemma -

My wife and I are confused whether to select:Option:- 1) National Tiles - Super White Polished (POLFL005)

http://www.nationaltiles.com.au/vic_pm/products/tiles/super-white-polished-18830

OR

Option:- 2) National Tiles - Stratos Limestone Polished (MAXFL1046)

http://www.nationaltiles.com.au/vic_pm/technika-limestone-18968

(Please note: We have 2 kids - 12 year old Boy and 8 year old girl - This information is from maintenance perspective)

Please help!!!

• Harneet Chadha
    3 years ago

Hi AP,

We are doing similar selections for our house. Do you mind sharing some pictures of your home?

It will be a great help for us🙂