Houzz Logo Print
mordster

Natural light in kitchen VS cupboards space dilemma

Robbi Zed
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Which design for kitchen is better? My concern is natural light which the first design has because of the 1.53M light well (glass doors at front and full length windows on either side) and it allows for kitchen wall to be extended to the boundary (3.4 M) allowing for more cupboard/storage and bench space).My concern though is whether not much light will enter the bedroom window which is on the other side of the bathroom light well? Also the cost may be more because the builder will need to build straight to the boundary 6.2 M then indent to allow for the 1.53 M light well, then boundary for 2.3 M and then go in again for the bathroom 2.3 M.

The second design doesn't take the kitchen to the boundary and therefore cupboard/storage space is compromised and to allow for more cupboards above, a window splash back would sit against the vertical wall for light. My concern here is the natural light issue. Would there be enough light with a 3m window splash back (with cupboard above) or would I need skylights too? Of the two designs which one is better in terms of giving more natural light and avoiding a boxed in feel?

thank you in advance. The lounge is north facing.

Robbi

Comments (16)