Houzz Logo Print
decodilema

Long, narrow hallway - HELP!!!!

decodilema
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I need help with my long narrow hallway - this is a modern home. The hallway is about 9 metres long and 930cm wide - the doors to the left lead to bedrooms and the laundry. To the right is a linen cupboard, powder room and bathroom. And the gun barrel leads to the garage. There is no room for even a very narrow console. I'm unsure what to put on the walls - I love vintage/retro advertising posters (but, what size), it would also be great for a family photo gallery, but how much space do I use for that? Do I use both sides - that could be so overwhelming in a narrow space.....Please help.

Thanks

Comments (42)

• haephestus
    8 years ago

Is there any chance of adding a sky light or one of those tubes which direct sunlight down from the roof? I think that it would help.

I would consider alternating between the walls. So, you could start on the right side with some vintage/retro advertising posters, maybe two to three medium to large framed posters up to the first door. Then switch to the left side for your family photo gallery using the same or complimentary coloured frames as the posters.

Good luck!

decodilema thanked haephestus
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    I think wallpaper might be great for this space. It would add interest without adding bulk. Go bold and slightly bright and retro. Its a huge possibility.
    decodilema thanked Miranda Rose
  • Related Discussions

Flooring in long narrow hallway

Q

Comments (2)
    I would tend to agree that wide planks across the direction of traffic would't necessarily make it appear wider. It would probably get your eye to focus on the joints versus being taken along to the next space. If you can live with the size of the boards, would it be possible to refinish what is there with a new stain colour? You might be able to tone down the floor a bit and use some art on that long wall to draw you into the space.
    ...See More

Help with long narrow living /dining room

Q

Comments (9)
    A colourful throw over the "back" of the sofa would help to add a pop of colour and break up the "wall" of colour that the back of the sofa currently provides. I also like the other ideas for a low console table behind the table and something hanging above the fireplace on the brick wall. Depending upon powerponts, antenna cabling and your affection for the pendant light, you could completely flip the room and put the dining table near the fireplace, spin the sofa around so that the "seat" (and cushions, etc) face the entry and put the TV on the wall opposite the fireplace.
    ...See More

long hallway concept...

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi, We also break up a long hallway with zones, and often do it with the ceiling and shallow nib walls / feature recesses. You have the width to do a few things. When the hallway is straight we create short length dropped bulkheads and 'frame' areas that lead into specific locations... eg the entry can have a small dropped bulkhead at the end of it that feeds into a feature protruding wall combined with a different ceiling height. That wall might sit out by a couple of hundred mm and that allows anything from a series of recessed boxes (shelf like) to a feature frame for large artwork. We also change ceiling heights through sections to zone off eg the living end vs the bedroom end or place features such as light wells in them. Cheers
    ...See More

Long, Wide bare hallway please help

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Jodi , Personal artwork would look gorgeous, or large pieces , a book shelf could look great but it could get a little messy , it’s really about the look you are after. An uncluttered hallway seems to look great at anytime and makes I easier to manoeuvre specially as you said you have a wheelchair user.
    ...See More
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    If your not a wallpaper fan try these.
  • decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I don't really think my husband would go for the wallpaper, but the prints are great.

• Jane Smith
    8 years ago
    If you want to make the space look larger, I'd suggest more lighting and a mirror, even a mirror wall (Google search " mirrored hallway"). Then you could put light coloured art/drawings on the opposite wall without overwhelming the space.

If you just want to add interest, then go with the vintage posters! I'd say go large, and just have a few, eg three along one wall. A few large pieces would look better than crowding the hallway with many small pictures
    decodilema thanked Jane Smith
  • decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I don't think my husband would be impressed with the bold ceiling/door scenario, but the large vintage posters may find approval.....

Thank you for your input.

• Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    I'm guessing your hubby isn't a wallpaper guy? :)
  • Kate
    8 years ago

Pick some focus points along the hallway . Where do you look as you walk out of each door? Try and take the focus from just the door at the end. A bright runner in two or more sections to break the runway look, a couple of light fittings with the closer one more the feature. If headroom is an issue try some angle spotlights from one side to light up some artwork on the other side.

decodilema thanked Kate
  • decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Miranda Rose, No my husband is definitely not a wallpaper fan....

• Bex Bee
    8 years ago

Couple more downlights for sure as it's very dark. If your going to put artwork in there it's going to reduce the hallspace so just stick to one side, large pieces with own downlights.

decodilema thanked Bex Bee
  • Kendall
    8 years ago

paint one side of the hallway a darker version of the other side

decodilema thanked Kendall
  • decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you ladies, it was a particularly dark day when I took this photo, but I think 3 vintage prints opposite the powder room door (2nd door on the right - almost directly between the 2 bedroom doors - on the left), is an excellent idea, and perhaps some angled lighting overhead.... My husband loves the white walls, so it would be difficult to add colour - he thinks everything modern involves white walls!!!!

You've all been so helpful. Many thanks!

• Kate
    8 years ago

An architect friend in his own designed modern house had white wall, but all the bedroom doors, which were oversized, boasted a strong colour. The vibrant colors of the kids doors really set the mood for their rooms. It was unexpected and very playful in an otherwise white space.

Pick prints that will bring a smile to your face, evoke memories or dreams and you will enjoy more of your house. Good luck

decodilema thanked Kate
  • PRO
    Simpson Wilson Architects
    8 years ago

If you try to make this space feel light and large you are just working against what it actually is and you will fail.

Accept it for what it is. Paint it a dark colour. Accentuate it's length with a striped runner. Hang lot's and lots of small pictures at eye height. Use minimal and focused lighting. And I know this sounds extreme, but I would consider making it even narrower by adding narrow shelves below hip level - on both sides.

By intensifying the narrow darkness of this space, you will find that the other rooms in the house will feel larger and lighter. And it will be more interesting.

decodilema thanked Simpson Wilson Architects
  • PRO
    Frances Brader
    8 years ago

I agree with haephestus. I would also add a long rug

decodilema thanked Frances Brader
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

Really? I vote for simple white with good lighting and art or photos of your choice. Personality can shine where it counts & don't waste your money unless it actually enhances your home & the way you want to live. For fun you could paint the end door a colour or mirror it...

Hallway detail · More Info

Gallery Hall · More Info

decodilema thanked LouieT
  • hanayuki
    8 years ago

How about creating some niches in the walls by cutting the wall and pushing into the stud space and lining it to create a shelf and a niche space. These niches could then be used for displaying things without intruding into the hallway, and art work or mirrors hung in the new wall space. At the garage end you could have a spot to place keys and other things that you need to grab on the way out. You would need to know where electrical wires are and the bracing timbers that lurk inside the stud walls.

decodilema thanked hanayuki
  • Sharon
    8 years ago

I'd paint a darker colour on the ceiling and end of hallway. I consider adding additional lighting to illuminate the walls; e.g. downlights to the sides of the hallway ceiling that reflect off the walls or small uplights on the walls. Illuminating the walls will make it feel wider. I wouldn't do a long strip of any lighting or that would contribute to the feeling of long and thin. I would position the lights in an alternate pattern along each wall or more randomly e.g. near doorways.

decodilema thanked Sharon
  • blueskies60
    8 years ago

Hi, we have a similar hall and have framed the open end with curtaining (usually drawn to one side). It has worked by breaking up the length and adding texture and colour to this difficult space, also providing a sense of privacy for the bedrooms. We have been planning to build in the top but the curtain rod has been there for seven years now ..... We have a painting on one wall, but to be honest it is invisible because you only see it from the side and it is quite dark. I'm thinking a textured wall hanging might be better. I have hung a wrought iron and terracotta planter on the far end (guess not with a door there though) and a bright rug on the floor. All add colour and texture and can be easily changed. I think interesting lighting would help your hall enormously, adding some ambience and warmth. If you can create the niches as suggested by hanayuki you could light those and really highlight some beautiful pieces. Good luck, Love to see some photos of your outcome!

decodilema thanked blueskies60
    8 years ago

Not sure if your looking for possible answers on where and how many pictures to hang or if your main concern is the length and starkness of the hallway? Or both?

decodilema thanked 164800
  • elzermank
    8 years ago

Or you could add some wainscotting in white and paint colour above. Might even be able to fit in some hooks for coats.

decodilema thanked elzermank
    8 years ago

There are a number of things that you could do but it depends as always on the budget:(

You could place directional ceiling lighting on the right hand side of the ceiling and have the lights shine down towards the artwork that hangs on the left- hand side of the hall wall. That way you are visually drawn to the walls and not the length of the hallway and garage door.

OR

The garage door (or all the doors) could become the framework/visual point for some vintage/retro advertising posters. Have directional lighting above each doorway pointing down onto the artwork that's attached and framed on the doors.

OR

You could halve the existing hall space by putting in another doorway (would suggest opaque glass so that you don't loose any light further down the hall-or put glass above the new door to promote light) about half way down the existing hallway-thus reducing the long visual lines.

OR

Narrowly indented alcoves along one side of the wall filled with artwork with lighting same as for posters ie shining from opposite side of ceiling down towards artwork

Best of luck and remember how fortunate you are to have so many choices!

decodilema thanked 164800
  • froghollow20
    8 years ago

paint stripes on one wall

decodilema thanked froghollow20
  • fianou
    8 years ago

You could consider architectural features, like wainscoting and architraves to add interest.

decodilema thanked fianou
  • fianou
    8 years ago

Something like this could look really nice in your hall. I like the way they have added colour and interest with the frames being different shapes, heights and colours.

You have the height for a lovely set of pendant lights that could really be interesting.Lighting shops like beacon can come to your house and help you figure out the right lighting for the space too. Laser cut pendant lights could throw some lovely textured patterns around the hall....

Porch House · More Info

decodilema thanked fianou
  • queenie
    8 years ago

Put up a mirror ball (or other shape) as the ceiling has no interesting feature, and it's a large part of the space. It would also bounce more light. Cut between studs and create a niche, you could also do a larger one by the garage door to hang coats and keys etc. I agree you could also paint the doors in shades that match the decor of the rooms they open into, it teases the imagination as you walk down the space and makes it interesting. Also easy to change back if you feel like it. Good luck and have fun!

decodilema thanked queenie
  • decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the input.... I'd love to add niches but apart from the cost, the walls to the bedrooms are insulated and I have no idea where the studs (or whatever you call them) are - not to mention electricity!!!

I did think of a round skylight halfway down the hall, between the down lights ($$$ again), but I think it maybe better to go with moody and the vintage prints... however, the key hook at the end of the hall could be any idea.

• kooky_karen
    8 years ago

My suggestion is that you replace the downlights with hanging glass lampshades that will give off more light. (See picture.)

I would also be painting the walls a colour warm and hang white framed prints (with a common them, for example from a calendar) along the walls.

decodilema thanked kooky_karen
  • User
    8 years ago

You could try to use the hallway's length to your advantage by installing a high shelf like this one.

It would be a great place to store things that are visually interesting but don't need to be used that often.

ÁPH80. ©Juan Baraja · More Info

decodilema thanked User
  • PRO
    archimondo
    8 years ago

The simplest and best solution would be to put a full size mirror on the door at the end of the passage. This would then stop the passage looking like a long thin passage and make it look like an EXTRA long thin passage, doubling the size of your house instantly.

The real reason why this would work is that people would be looking at their distant selves as they walked down the passage and not even notice the blandness of the space.

Remember 'always back self interest' and people are interested in themselves.

decodilema thanked archimondo
  • Janet Dunn
    8 years ago

Sheer genius - a walk to infinity!

• decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, our doors have a sort of ribbed thing happening to the right. So I don't think the mirror or the framed prints would work!

I like the idea of the hanging lighting though.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful suggestions...... Surely I must be able to create something amazing from all of this?

• PRO
    CatwalkRugs
    8 years ago

If you do opt for the runner rug, it looks like your hallway is quite narrow.

We have custom sizing for hallway runners here (particularly the nomad range), just in case you're interested!
    http://www.catwalkrugs.com.au/hallway-runner-rugs

decodilema thanked CatwalkRugs
  • Connie
    8 years ago

paint the end door a striking colour, horizontal stripes on the ceiling, and 3 large pendant lights. not sure how adventurous you are, but you could consider painting different colour "zones"- 3 different colurs as you walk down the passage.....possibly even 3 short carpet runners. i love the idea of wainscoting-but you will lose precious centimetres. You can get paintable wallpaper wainscotting.

decodilema thanked Connie
  • Kate
    8 years ago

Experiment, grab some wide rolls of wrapping paper in patterns and colours you like and blue tack them up on walls and garage door to see the general effects.

decodilema thanked Kate
  • decodilema
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, the wrapping paper is a great idea. Will give it a try!!!

Cheers

• ckat0076
    7 years ago
    I have the exact same issue. Mine is 14metres long. I'll be adding a feature "tiled" wall on one section that runs up to the second bedroom. I haven't picked my tile yet but it has to be something of a WOW factor. Then alternate Paintings on either sides of the wall. And I'll be adding a skylight. Good luck
    decodilema thanked ckat0076
  • aimeelou2002
    7 years ago

Wall lights just above the kickboards down the hallway, also a nice runner on the floor might help. Some art also or a mirror to reflect light? Pendant lights for the ceiling would also be great with interesting light shades.

decodilema thanked aimeelou2002
  • HU-36590265
    3 years ago

I have similar narrow hallway. I decorate it like an art gallery, but I feel like it still needs something or maybe I need to take all down. Please advise!

• Kate
    3 years ago

You have lit the pics so they pop. But overall seems dark. Do you normally have other lights on. Can you post a daytime photo. Is that brown carpet on floor?
    Most important what do and don’t you like?

• Kate
    3 years ago

You have added to a very old post. Start a new one to get more interest