Houzz Logo Print
dunchie

What would you do to my home?

dunchie
8 years ago
Hi guys, been renovating our house for two years and finally starting to see the end of it. Almost.

My question is, what would you do to the front of this house?

So I need help on paint colours, style of balustrade (no glass) and roof colour (to be painted).

Also can anyone tell me what style this house is? I think it was built in the 50s.

Thanks!! :)

Comments (52)

• dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And we are rendering the bricks too.
  • Related Discussions

What would you choose to do to update this 70s rendered house ?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would paint the garage doors, box in the white poles either in timber or stack stone or have them rendered to match the house. You could also paint the front door in a feature colour. The front veranda you could either paint the concrete, tile it or have a stencil done on the veranda and driveway also look at any added landscaping that could possibly be done.
    ...See More

Poll: When you had a bad day, what would you do at home?

Q

Comments (9)
    Go for a 5km walk around Carine Open Space with my weighted backpack, hiking poles and Snowee, whilst mentally planning about my next hiking adventure. Problems disappear.
    ...See More

What do you think of my home makeover?

Q

Comments (15)
    Shazia you're a brave woman indeed to invite "all opinions" and fortunate that houzzers tend to be helpful not hurtful. Your opinion is ultimately what counts of course. Whilst difficult to judge without seeing the room in it's entirety this is what I'd try if it were my home. I question the location of the dining area and wonder if you've tried or considered moving it nearer the kitchen? I'd move the elaborate mirror to end wall on it's own where the a/c - security box are (they may need to be moved across a bit, I've done it, it's easy), with the dining suite there. The mirror won't fight with the Chesterfields then and would work well with the dining suite. I'd move the dark corner bookcase next to the stairwell, it looks like it would fit and make the room less busy. Bring the wall unit up to it moving the TV unit down where I'm assuming the wall unit ended before. Then you could arrange your couches into an L with space enought to walk between window and couch facing the kitchen and space to walk behind the other couch facing the TV to walk in and out of the sliding door creating a cosy nook. The cow rug would work a treat. I'd place the Moroccan table with the Tiffany lamp in the corner void created where the couches meet. It would create defined areas whilst still looking open. That's my taste of course and know that my ideas usually takes hours, days, weeks of moving and shoving things around until it feels right. If it feels right it is right Shazia. Enjoy..
    ...See More

What would you do if this was your house? exterior makeover

Q

Comments (7)
    don't paint the bricks or window frames ..check with council to confirm that you can add a pergola or covered verandah across the front including the carport and add the roller door on the outside of the new verandah so that you will have more carport space with a covered walk to the front door (keep in mind that you usually need to retain access for the metre box) add an awning over the front window and use light colours for the roller door, guttering and trim eg similar (not the same) colours to the windows eg Colourbond paperbark? invest in a new security door without the grills and make sure that you offer all the unwanted plants for sale.. you may even find a local nursery could be interested in a swap
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

Lovely, would you like that colour scheme?

• jbantick
    8 years ago

Keep the brick un rendered unless they're mismatched somewhere else. Keep the tile roof unless it's damaged, leaks, etc.. Spend that money elsewhere. I wouldn't even paint it, leave the old used patina. A lot of builder's renovating houses around Sydney's north shore for example seek out uncleaned or painted roof tiles!! It would be a 50's to early 60's so run with that style as much as you can with a few modern updates. The handrail would be the original which looks cool as! Problem is it is non-conforming to current building code. A standard Dunn & Farrugia flat top handrail would still suit the style and be similar to your picture above.

Add chunkier posts to the awning. Can't see if they line up with the existing brick piers but they could be bricked around. Render these as a feature rather than rendering the original face brick. Box in the veranda beam/s with FC sheet and render as well. Put a flat ceiling under the awning and fit down lights to create an outdoor room.

If you can, add a new window to the front room and centralise it. I don't mind them being off centre but most people I've come across dislike it. It would still be in the original style of the house and also be similar to your picture above. The timber battens over the joins on the cladding is back in style. Weatherboards or rendered FC sheet have been done to death and this battened FC sheet is slowly coming back.

'Flooded Gum' or 'Timeless Grey' is a pale grey that would look similar to the picture above.

Lexicon for trims and handrail although a dark grey for the new handrail to match your new charcoal tiles would be a good option.

• olldroo
    8 years ago

Listen to Chook. I rather think your home could have been built in the 1940s.

With respect to the balustrade, that would be a classic almost art deco now - it is a keeper but I would paint it black to give it a more modern edge. To add height for safety, though I would put a simple timber railing above it that conforms with current regulations. Some nice pots with small shrubs would soften the verandah and give you privacy.

The other thing to consider is the neighbourhood. What have other owners done to their homes? One of the big problems I find with people updating their homes when homes around them are similar, is unless megabucks are spent giving the home a whole new façade, you will always see the original house in the neighbours' homes, so yours stands out as "the one that was done up".

• User
    8 years ago

Black is the traditional colour for wrought iron. It also "disappears".

• olldroo
    8 years ago

That was my thought too Chook.

• jbantick
    8 years ago

Yes it would be fantastic if the original handrails could be kept. They look pretty cool.

Be interesting to find out the year it was constructed, definitely post war. Apparently in the year 1954-55, more than half of the new houses in NSW were clad in cement sheet.

• wuff
    8 years ago
    Hi Daniel I love your balustrades, suits the era of your house, our house is similar era though probably a bit smaller (I have the Cadbury room). Our exterior was bagged some owners before us. We have painted similar colours to the ones you showed in your pic of what you would like to achieve. I think you can bag/render/just paint the bricks retaining your balustrades. If you are interested on my profile I have my before and after story in pics. We still have a way to go. We have fixed up the new front stairs we they meet the lawn with travertine paving not in current pics, oh well I have to get to my current project getting rid of my purple Cadbury room
  • User
    8 years ago

lol Cadbury.

• PRO
    International Design - Interior Architecture
    8 years ago

Hi Dan,

Why not give a pro a go?

Your homes your biggest asset, why not max its potential for best street appeal possible. I can do 3 schemes and you can choose the one you like to execute yourself. Worth the investment in your future capital growth.

Warm Regards

Liz

• PRO
    International Design - Interior Architecture
    8 years ago

Hiya Dan,

Its 1940s - Let's look at highest use and best design for your front of the home together before you decide

Why not give a pro a go?

Warm Regards

liz

Http://www.internationaldesign.vpweb.com.au

• Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    8 years ago

AS usual its all about the finances.

For a great budget effect, paint everything very pale warm grey or better still a warm white, get rid of the stuff on top of the pergola, make a hole in the concrete and plant grape to grow to cover instead. Then plant pencil pines in the lawn in a group depending on light and consider a low hedge across the front and down the drive.

I agree about the offset window unless you balance it with a tree in the blank section!

• farsideb
    8 years ago

It looks like Liz is still plugging herself without shame. Give it a rest Liz.

• tullera182
    8 years ago

this style, the wrought iron anyway, is nautical. We had something similar on a house built in 1959. For me the big problem is the addition of the carport and the great chunky blocks they have used to support the roof/patio. Replacing these with something slimmer more in line with the wrought iron, but still with the ability to bear the weight, might work. The aconite over the patio and its supports might also benefit from something in keeping with the nautical wrought iron or else change the look completely.

• melrop
    8 years ago

Timber balustrade and handrail painted white with soft grey walls, white window surrounds and white architrave on door. A gloss black front door would look great with the charcoal tiles. Matching front fence with block piers and base and timber inserts. Add sandstone cladding to the bottom section once you can afford it to finish it off beautifully.

• melrop
    8 years ago

• Michele
    8 years ago

Hi Daniela, our previous house was built in the early 60s and was very similar to yours (two-tone brick, built on a hill, garage underneath), but ended up having to be rendered due to various structural defects that weren't picked up in the architect's report.

There's already some excellent advice here on what you can do if you want to keep the character features, but if you want to follow your heart I'd say go for it because it would look terrific.

Because our house already had charcoal grey roof tiles, gutters and down pipes (and we were hemorrhaging money) we went with a simple charcoal, pale grey and white colour scheme like the one you're considering.

So I'd say paint your roof tiles charcoal grey and all the trims vivid white, including the verandah posts and the beams supporting your verandah's polycarbonate roof (we did this with a deck we added and it made them far less obvious).

When you've rendered the brick, paint the whole house, including the garage door, pale grey (we went with Dulux Lexicon because cool greys look great against the WA sky).

We tiled our front and side porches with charcoal grey tiles but had to get rid of the original iron balustrades because they were rusted out. If you want to get rid of yours and flog them for a fortune on eBay you could replace them with powder-coated steel balustrades in white and in a similar style to the ones in your dream home.

A glossy cherry-red front door would look fabulous with this colour scheme.

You could also put a tree (maybe a fast-growing olive or cumquat) in a huge pot to the left of your front window and have similar, smaller-scaled pots on your front verandah.

Good luck and all the best.

• legendaryflame
    8 years ago

My thoughts.... I like your ideas for the exterior Dan and think it's quite achievable. I would stick with the original roof tiles and the alsynite roofing but I would line the patio roof area and have a barge board at the front edge which would hide the alsynite. This would save money to put into other areas. I would box out the patio posts. A red front door would look great. Looks like a late 50's/ early 60's house to me. Good luck. Would love to see some photos when you have finished.

• User
    8 years ago

Lots of good ideas!

• Michelle Lazarus
    8 years ago
    definitely keep the balustrade but paint it black, maybe a gray for the rest...saw something like this colour combination on selling houses australia
  • PRO
    Claridge Construction
    8 years ago
    To my eye, the skirt of the building and staircases pop visually, more than the house. I would 'lose' the steps and brick base in a neutral color, say double strength of the walls of a earthy grey or something. Make the home stand out rather than the base and access to the home. Just a thought.
  • fianou
    8 years ago

If this was my house I would be thinking about replacing the metal railing and building a really nice one out of good quality timber. I would also replace or sand back the french doors to match in timber. I would have a nice quality timber railing with wires across.

I think that would create a really great feature for that side of the house. The timber would provide warmth and really make that side of the house look great.

I don't think its necessary to do over the house in a particular style. But just updating it with a few nice features.

I'm not sure it would be possible to do over your house in the style you like, but it makes me think you want something with classic appeal and simple lines. Your choice of patio furnishing will help you create that feel. You could consider adding a simple ceiling to your verandah as I think it would give it a more finished look.

• dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow thank you everyone for your replies! I didn't get any phone notifications that I had any responses so it was a surprise to see so many suggestions.

I definitely want to get rid of the handrails, they seem way too low and flimsy for my liking and seeing as we'd like to have some kids soon I want to keep the place as safe as possible. But I might put them on eBay thanks for the suggestion!! What do you guys think of the pic I attached?

The balcony doors have been changed to white aluminium (the were two hinged panels and two fixed panels, not French doors) and unfortunately cannot centre that front bedroom window.

We are trying to do this as cheaply as possible and quickly to get out of his parents house and move in ASAP. Later on, we're looking at putting in a ceiling to the verandah and I'm itching to minimise all this concrete.
  • dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Considering the neighbourhood doesn't do much for us. Living in south west Sydney where there is a mix of Lego houses, dilapidated fibros and unit blocks. I'd just like to focus on making my own home look pretty :)
  • dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'll have a look wuff - for us, rendering the bricks will be cheaper than texture painting them as I have close family to do this at cost price.
  • dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Melbourne1944 my thoughts were to put a tree there as well, but it's concrete. Not sure what else I can put there to balance the area.
    I love symmetry so this does my head in haha
  • dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And I wanted the hedge going down the driveway but my husband won't be able to get through to park his tinny on the grass *rolls eyes*
  • User
    8 years ago

Like your pics, Daniel, try Modwood, no painting.

• User
    8 years ago

Ah, so you're a Daniela, not Daniel, so sorry.

• dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    One final comment. All the males in my life have an aversion to timber and anything natural. So unfortunately my options usually consist of concrete and steel.
  • dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hahaha yep! Not Dan or Daniel lol
  • dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I like the modwood, I'll look into pricing. I prefer the look of timber but I thought if I have white balustrades it would match the garage if I paint it. It's in good condition so don't want to replace it
  • User
    8 years ago

They might like the timber look aluminium planking that's out now. I will try to find it.

• User
    8 years ago

Tell the males it's metal

http://www.knotwood.com/

• dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And I have a stockist in the next suburb over. Awesome thanks chook!
  • User
    8 years ago

I want it. I'm contented now, think ill go roll in the dust.

• olldroo
    8 years ago

Daniela - I think for your area, I would keep the work to a minimum, should you ever decide to sell you would get buyers who probably won't appreciate it, or it will be demolished for a McMansion or another Unit block. Just keep things practical (especially for kids) and pleasing to the eye. Even gardens don't rate highly - and yes, that tinny is important :))

• User
    8 years ago

Tinny might "disappear" in a carport walled at the front with the same treatment as the balustrade.

• dunchie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We have grander plans with our big block of land so won't be selling. Thanks everyone for your help, I'll be needing it again soon I think.
  • User
    8 years ago

No wuks.

• Mim Simpson
    8 years ago
    I haven't read through all the blogs, someone may have already suggested but your council should be able to tell you when the house was built.
  • Luke Buckle
    7 years ago

I do love your handrail. Any chance of an update on how your project is looking now?

• HU-378672670
    5 years ago

I would get some siding on the house to give i a nice face lift. I got a quote myself from conservation construction of texas and it was wonderful. From start to finish they were always there to help and the installation went perfectly. Would highly recommend.

• robandlyn
    5 years ago

Old Post

• macyjean
    5 years ago

"I got a quote myself from conservation construction of texas and it was wonderful."

Yeah, bumping up an old post to say how wonderful a business was is real tacky, and it's not even the right country LOL.

• Hayden DANIEL
    5 years ago
    I personally would render the brick grey and paint the other walls of the exterior grey to. I would remove the rails around the balcony and replace them with something more modern. I even would think about removing the roof over the balony because it looks like you don't get a lot of light coming through that area
  • Lynette Ludbrook
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Treasure it for the gem of a 1940s/50s home it is, complete with glorious wrought iron work. Suggestions have been made as to how to boost the height to meet current building codes. You will regret updating the exterior for what is likely to be a one that will date quickly and be higher maintenance . It is only a matter of time until such homes are as treasured as Victorian terraces or Californian bungalows. It is an icon of its time. Accept it for what t is. Why make your house look like a fashion victim of 2019, when it stands in almost the full glory of its original period? It will also save you a fortune too! But yes, minimise the concrete! and add a garden that refects the period the house was built. Roses if you like them, with maybe a magnolia or crepe myrtle feature tree but for lower maintenance try some architectural and ground covering succulents. You could also go with edibles like feature citrus and olives for a Mediterranean feel.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    This is a 2015 post
  • Lynette Ludbrook
    5 years ago

Ok. Thanks, Came up as current on my feed!