Houzz Logo Print
bumbles12

Blinds for windows with salt bush frame windows

Judy Bumbles
11 years ago
We have just put in a new kitchen. White cabinets with Solarius granite top with marble "bursa beige" floor. It seems to all work, but now for the window blinds. My question is the trim around the windows will be in Dulux "natural white" (a slight pink tinge). The walls will be painted "hog bristle quarter" ( a light beige ). The windows are in an aluminium called "salt bush" (a light green). Should I get the blind in a white to match the kitchen or a white to match the trim around the windows?? Or should I change the trim around the windows to match the cabinets and get a white blind? And will the colours I have chosen go with the window frames? Help please......

Comments (54)

• Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Dear granitemechanics , see how confused I am lol I think you must be a genius to have been able to decipher that question... It was a shocker!
    Sorry about that lol
    I guess I will go with the white the kitchen is in for the trim around the windows.
    But my main worry now, is whether the window frame which is in a green colour called "salt bush" will look ok with the white trim and a white blind? What do you think?
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dear designideas4me,
    Believe it or not they are Ikea cabinets, and we are very happy with them. I think we may have gone a little overboard on all the drawers but I am managing to fill them all lol
  • Related Discussions

Need help with roller blinds in awning windows

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you My Beautiful Abode for your comment. The blind installer informed us that the blinds can't be released from their brackets and that once installed, a blind and it's bracket has to be removed as a unit. However, the window manufacturer demonstrated to us how the screens can be manipulated in sideways and then forced into position. Each time this procedure is carried out the window frames and fly screen frames are prone to damage. We don't believe that the present bracket design "is fit for purpose" and would not have purchased from this manufacturer of blinds had we been aware, or advised, that the blinds could not be released from the brackets.
    ...See More

window Blinds Query

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you so much, again, annb1997, I really appreciate your help. Totally random but when we were looking at flooring options yesterday, the store also stocked the blinds. A little more expensive than the ones I’d originally seen online, with a slightly different operational style but also sturdier looking and a recognisable brand name. Since the store owners are extended family, I’ll also be able to rely on their review. Small town living at its best ;)
    ...See More

Blind on 1 window not 3 in small study

Q

Comments (1)
    If you require a blind, then install one.
    ...See More

Light or Dark window frame dilemma! Help please

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't think it overly matters , but personally I like the darker frames for the contrast -- lighter frames are a bit whimpy .
    ...See More
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    ok I am convinced. Ikea is the way to go. But first tell me how much it cost and how bog your kitchen is plz and which cabinets are they exactly? Did you assemble yourself or hire an installer? And how much for that amazing granite?
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    oh and lastly what do you think about the appliances?
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    With the incredible choice you have for the granite. You're safe in green being somewhere. But the space is beautiful.

What's the question on the appliances. I love appliances. I keep up with the trends. I get reviews and magazines by experts, the industry, read blogs, get daily newsletters and so much more. SEe Appliance trends on my website for a quick review. I try to get that changed periodically. http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com under the Trends Tab.

No, please do not do Ikea. I did apply for the position at to their East Coast installer's company - years ago. Nice group of people. I got the job. I didn't take it. At a time when you take jobs...something just didn't sit right and I did NOT take it. I've researched countless cabinet lines throughout the USA. Maybe I should start a blog on this. But there are over 600 choices inside the USA. There are options if you research for anything you want that is an excellent option to save money, support locally or Made and get a better product, I'll leave saying anything more about it outside the fact that the person above used IKEA. SEemed nervous in the post here, too.

SO I forewarn others. Now, people here could tell you that had if for years...but I know SEO work from the inside and company's get paid people to sit on the computer "pretending to be the answers to your prayers" and they are just paid. Can't hate them for that...Just be careful that someone on this site...isn't paid to be here and pretend to play the game to be here. They are paid to beef up sales and talk about the stuff. That's their job. Paid to answer your questions, put posts, etc.. Paid to beef up the link to their site(links to their sites on sites like these...boosts Google ranking. And paid to post things here and there across social networks. So. go look at reviews by experts. Read expert blogs. You read about tech stuff and know there are experts and reviews. DUDE and DUDETs...check out your cabinet lines. Research, research, research.

Just thought you all should know. IKEA would be here and paid. It's too large a company to assume otherwise. I can't point at anyone mentioning them. But I know they are here.
  • PRO
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi TheGranitemechanics&cabi's
    I am definitely not trying to promote Ikea. Someone asked me where I got the cabinets from so I told them.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The granite cost was about $7,000 the stone mason did a wonderful job.
    I think the kitchen was about $15,000 to $20,000 but I will have to check that, not sure?
    Our appliances are ASKO and I'm not promoting them either, someone asked what I have. They were $7,000. I went to their site and checked out their specials and only bought when things were on special or waited until they were. I especially like the hot plate( induction) which is fantastic as well as the oven, love it! We also have combination/microwave oven, but not sure if it is totally necessary.
    AU dollars.
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Granitemechanics................. thats kind of insane if you ask me............... what you just said makes no sence and I dont know why you would even say it. Plus the guy who owns Ikea is one of the richest men in the world and Ikea does not NEED TO BEEF UP SALES. Give me a break. They are a top seller of kitchens worldwide. whatever..............
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    Bumbles, ok. sorry about that. I think we have the right to be up here... normal average diy or hiding as a diy person for other corps or outright professional. I only started on this site because my clients said I had to be here. I am still trying to decide of it was the right stuff.
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    designideas4 me. I had a job offer for their ONLY KITCHEN installers (Big BIG company) on the east coast. I would say I have inside info. And ALL the companies (BIG the more they have to do this) do it on all the social sites. Providing an http beefs up Google and this is the best place to do it and the do go undercover.... Would you like IKEA's marketing guys #. So your insane for not talking about anything but what you have an opinion on instead of facts if you need to call a person insane. I studied advertisement transferred to design so. It's a known fact for marketers. Go talk to an advertising and marketing agent. Hey, linkedin has some. Ask away and when your done...let's talk about it.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm a DIY been one for 30 years. So are you a corp person?
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    I work for a small company in the DC Metro. I have had my designs on HGTV. I have designed for Presidents, Senators, CEO's of Corps across the DC Metro. I rub elbows with the group but am in no way a corp. This is a humble company and I am really humble...most days.
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    I paint murals. I spent a whole week making a faux brick wall once. I like diy and I enjoy researching and saving others money in their projects. My grandparents owned apartments in Kansas and we always got in and dug in and painted or something.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lol
    Lets get back to my blinds ......
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    Absolutely Bumbles!
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    bumbles - lucky you with the gorgeous kitchen! Although I'm sure being DIY there was a lot more blood, sweat and tears than luck.

I'm a bit curious about the ASKO appliances. Are they an AU brand? I think the only ASKO appliances available here in the US are dishwashers and laundry. I must admit I've seen one of the dishwashers and it made me salivate a bit ;-)

The salt bush sounds really striking. I don't think I've seen anything like 'salt bush' it but it sounds unique and beautiful.

I do think a change to make everything the same white that's in the kitchen may work best.

(edited because I realize I totally misread the question!)
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    Bumbles. can you get a close up the wall backsplash to show off the colors going on in your granite? It would help.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    And...you should know that when I googled Salt Bush Frames to see if I could get an idea of what they looked like, your kitchen photo here was the 5th item on the list ;-)
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Really? We built our house 15 years ago. It was a holiday house. And never did much to it. We are now doing it up. So 15 years ago I thought "salt bush" would go well with sandstone bricks outside, but since then my taste has changed lol my partner said the blinds needed to have green in them to match the window frame, but I hate green now! So that is why I'm asking you all" can I have the white blinds which will match the kitchen and not worry too much about the "salt bush" (green) around the frame?
    I'm Australian and "salt bush" is actually a native plant of Australia which happens to be a sort of dusty green.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dear overthefence
    ASKO are a Swedish company I think? I think they have good stuff. We have always had their dishwashers and I have found them to be very reliable...... I'm not promoting them, I just like them.... Jeezz you have to be careful what you say around here lol
    When I said AU I meant australian dollars.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oops, I'm not sure about USA but here n AU we have all their products I think?
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have just enlarged the photo as I'm not at the house at the moment but when I get back I will take another photo. Solarius granite is very busy so I chose this piece because it wasn't as busy as the rest.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your advise! It's been so helpful. I'm definitely going to go for the white for the trim and blinds ( same white as kitchen). Now all I have to do in convince my other half lol
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Darzy............I am working on a number of projects and I see no harm in asking the poster who has cabinets I am interested in , information regarding her cabinets. I would hope that she can learn from us and we from her. How or where else am I supposed to ask someone who has an ikea kitchen questions? Tell me? I try to post questions on peoples ideabooks to ask but for some reason they dont see it or get the message. Perhaps others might want to hear from someone who owns these cabinets. If the poster is bothered by my questions she can tell me or ask me to email her. I really see no harm in my questions. These discussions are all about the exchange of information. She said she loves her kitchen and so why not ask about it. I think people need to let others speak for themselves...and not assume what they feel.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dear designideas4me
    I will look up the name of the cabinets and post it ASAP. The kitchen is quite big. This is the other side of the kitchen. Of course it isn't finished yet but you will get an idea of size. What you are looking at is what I call a self serve/breakfast bar. We will have a kitchen table opposite after we finish painting.
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    I dont really see the green from your picture. It looks more peach to me. But I do think the white will look most simple and cohesive unless you did blinds with a slight muted pattern of white and one color from your granite. Lastly when you say the price for the cabinets is in Au terms... do I need to do a conversion..lol............ the cabinets alone or with install were 15,ooo? Seems high especially if you did the assembly yourself. Where is the hood or vent over your cooktop? I love how clean the back counter looks with no big obstrustion of a hood.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    $15,000 isn't too bad really as it is quite a big area.... Lots of drawers/space. We installed it ourselves.
    We have a concealed mounted rangehood 86 cms in stainless steel, which is so quiet it's great! I'm very happy with it.
    AU and US dollars is almost the same at the moment
    Ps the salt bush colour is on (aluminium) window frame.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If we had of got it done by kitchen people it would of at least doubled in price plus and bit more.
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    Actually, Bumbles. I would have beat your price or saved you money. There's 600 cabinets in the USA. I would have saved you money using an USA Made product.

Http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com We are active members of Baille.com and independentwestand.org where you can see how money $100 on valentines from everyone in your community going into a local business and USA Made will contribute. DC Metro $165million or somewhere in that range goes back to their community.
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    Bumbles, did you get a close up photo of you granite backsplash or a different angle where we can see better.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    bumbles - I think those salt bush frames are fabulously cool. Thanks for the photo. And wow, what a view!

I'm guessing your photo showed up because of some search engine thing and the title of your thread included those words. I just found it interesting though! I did look up a picture of the plant too - very pretty!

Thanks for the info on ASKO. From the reviews I've read on the dishwashers here they're a really great product so having all appliances be ASKO must make for a great kitchen!

And IMO you shouldn't need to be careful of what you say when you're talking about enjoying your own kitchen. Congratulations on all the hard work. It looks like it's paid off really well!
  • mollythecollie
    11 years ago
    Bumbles your kitchen is beautiful and I love the view! The salt bush frames are pretty. Personally, I would go with white blinds.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    Regarding your trim and blinds again.... ;-) The second picture really helped clarify. IMO the trim should be a shade of white that goes with the kitchen (including the baseboards) and the blinds should be white too.

The pink tinge of the Dulux 'natural white' sounds like you'd have 3 colors right next to each other at your window -- the hog bristle, 'natural white' and white blinds. In my minds eye, it seems that reducing that to two colors might work better. Can you get good sized samples of all three and lay them out together to see which combo works best?
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    11 years ago
    Bumbles, do you have access to the granite to get it online thru the computer video? or a camera phone? I would love to see the slab you have up real close.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the compliments regarding the kitchen. It was really hard especially getting the right design. We weren't after a cheap kitchen just something that was functional reasonably priced, not overpriced and a good design. We got a couple of quotes and went to many kitchen places and they showed very little interest really. Mind you this is a small coastal country town of about 30,000 people but I also tried our big city. One on the things I worked out by visiting these people is that they aren't designers just carpenters and quite frankly I think we did a much better design then they could of. They would of doubled the price! So we did it ourselves. Originally we didn't want too, but it's worked out well. It was hard work but very rewarding. Especially now listening to what you guys are saying as it is reassuring, so thanks again.
    I'm not at the house at the moment but I will answer and send photos very soon.
    Thanks again. I may have a couple here on my iPad I will check it out now.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    bumbles12...congratulations on a job so well done! It looks beautiful and custom! A DIY masterpiece.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Darzy thanks! I don't think it is any masterpiece but its not too bad lol. I put in a lot of research. I researched for about 8 month I had no idea at first what I wanted I drove my husband crazy especially with colours(can't you imagine lol). He chose the granite and flooring which I was concerned about but hey it all came up well. I did the design. I think it took about 6 to 8 weeks to complete. One of the things I really love about this kitchen is the drawers! There is so much useable space! I don't lose things at the back of a cupboard like I use to...when you open a drawer you see everything! So I really do recommend drawers over cupboards. Our sizes for the drawers range from 60cms to 80cms I have the 80cms facing on the outside of the kitchen, I think that size looks more modern, and that's what I was after, a modern look. I will post more pictures soon to answer people's questions. Thanks again for everyones comments, and advise.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is a reasonably good one of the granite over the stove.
    I will post the slabs as soon as I find the photos, could be tomorrow ?
    Someone asked the name of the cabinets. They are Faktum base cabinets with three drawers in Gloss White. We used 60 cm and 80 cm drawers.
  • PRO
    BoHo Furniture Gallery
    11 years ago
    After 13 yrs, in the interior design and window covering business, I would keep the trim on the windows color and pull one of the darkest colors out of the granite and install top/down bottom/up cellular shades. They are translucent and give a lot of function. Next, Cornice boards.
  • PRO
    BoHo Furniture Gallery
    11 years ago
    Graber is the name brand to use for Cell Shades. Hunter Douglas uses the lowest end construction. Mount the cornice boards all the way to the top of ceiling and only go into the glazing (window) enough to 1. be to scale with the room and 2. just enough to cover top of trim to soften hard lines and not have double hard lines visually :)
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you nice idea. We are on the ocean so we don't want to lose the view. We only need the blinds for morning sunlight as it can get very bright, by noon there is really no need for them?
  • PRO
    BoHo Furniture Gallery
    11 years ago
    Yes. I hear you about the view. Cell shades are for people who want the function but not really want to cover the window for various reasons. If you can measure to the 1/8" of width and length I could ship the shades to you or get with a window covering company whom supply's Graber. Don't use or avoid using Big Box hardware stores (carrying Hunter Douglas or Graber). They get inferior product opposed to a professional window covering co. No price difference usually.
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Any advice if I try to figure out some of this myself? I found this website

http://www.ikeasaudi.com/ikea.com.sa/images/stories/new2010/Web%20BG%202011/Kitchen/FAKTUM/FAKTUM_bg_GB.pdf

Its overwelming for me. Did you use the online ikea design tool. I love your color scheme. How did you decide on that granite?

I found this website too . Perhaps those cabinets are not available here but just where you are. either way I can find something similiar. Did you have any issues with ordering..getting parts.. assemely? Do you have any helpful tips for designing ? Did you actually hang them yourself? Is there anything about the cabinets that you find defective or insufficient or think could be better? Thank you so much for all your help.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm from Australia. My husband is an structural engineer who happens to be very handy. He made adjustments to the design structurally. I will ask him again what he thinks or if we can pass on any advise. One think I do remember him commenting on was the feet (legs) on the base of the cabinets..... Use the steel ones, which are so much more stronger, especially if you are going to put granite on top!
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The photos of the slab are washed out a bit and you will not see the true colour of the granite according to my husband, but if you still want to see them I will post them.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We did use the planner of ikea. It makes it so much easier to order your kitchen. You need to know exactly what you need. We found the staff very helpful and knowledgeable but they did make mistakes. Ours was a big kitchen thou. Yes, we went in to the showroom to order. The only way to do it as you really need to get advise from the staff. We had a few problems with the ordering but nothing major.
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Great thx again.. let me know.. Debbie
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Good view of the granite over stove......