Houzz Logo Print
angelinasim

Wall colours with beige carpet — advice please

angelinasim
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone. I need a bit of colour design help and my non-creative brain is having a meltdown! We just purchased our new home which was built in 1988 with a warm interior colour scheme (cream walls, beige carpets etc). We can afford to get some new vinyl loose lay to replace all the tired looking tiled areas, but unfortunately cannot afford to change all the carpeted rooms (carpeted rooms are the: formal living room, formal dining room and bedrooms). I want to introduce some neutrals (mostly greys) to my wall colours that aren't so yellow based (like they currently are). But I can't figure out what type of grey to go in each of the main living areas! I'm particularly worried about clashing a cool grey with the existing beige carpets. But don't want brownish looking walls either. We need to paint the walls of the following rooms: 1) Media room (which will have Genero Vinyl loose lay flooring in Cherry Oak). This room is quite dark and does not have much natural light. Don't want a stark white room though as this is where we want to watch TV and movies. 2) Formal living and dining rooms (these have the beige carpets which we aren't replacing). These rooms get a good amount of natural light. I've uploaded a photo of the formal living room (showing the existing beige carpet and pink feature wall - the pink wall is going!). You can just see the media room adjoining the living room (with the ugly brick bar - which is also going). I've also uploaded a sample of the new vinyl flooring that will go in the media room. I've placed this over the existing beige carpet together with some colour swatches from Taubmans (Secret Passage/Thin Ice) and Dulux (Silkwort/Dieskau). Any advice as to recommended wall colours would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance

Comments (12)