Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

What is missing?

sondramartina
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
What pattern and colour should I add in additional future accent pillows? What is missing in the room? Btw I sewed these pillow cases and I am not crafty :))

Comments (134)

• PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Sorry to be off topic too, but I find that fascinating! Yes your words show a writer and your Pinterest a love for the visual. Glad you add your viewpoint here on Houzz. Looking forward to more!
  • Beverly Hullender
    11 years ago
    sondramartina: My thought is that the art is not scaled properly. Without replacing it, using additional pieces on the wall will increase the visual size of it and be more in proportion to the sofa and the large area rug on the floor. A glass coffee table (with some rounded edges or even shape) will open the floor space and help the "boxy" look that you tend to have going on. A couple, or three, accent pillows (yellow and purple would work nice!) will capture the circular light fixture (repeating the shape), work with the yellow in the print and the lovely glass on your end table. Check the height of your wall art (easy measure is "center of the face (nose) of an average height person (5'7") to the center of your piece (or group)). That's easiest for me since I happen to be 5'7"! Good luck and looking forward to seeing the 'FINAL" picture! :)
  • Related Discussions

What's missing?

Q

Comments (48)
    I'd like to help you with an artwork for the wall if you are open to it. I do commission works and exhibit in galleries - It seems artists have done a good job at implying art is wildly expensive - my aim is to make art inclusive, authentic and affordable. You can even pick the price of a commissioned artwork and we can work together to create something right for the space and budget. If you're keen, I'm happy to have a chat. You can contact me via my website www.janamcleod.com :) An artwork can transform a space and lend to it an atmosphere. It is uniquely yours and can connect you to a time, place, thought or feeling. In any room an artwork can add a sense of wonderment...
    ...See More

what is missing?

Q

Comments (2)
    Colours are great! Agree with Brandi, night light. And I would still have side table(s) until the shelves which are already packed. Also, maybe some colourful kids art above the bedhead, and can't see the floor but maybe a colourful kids rug.
    ...See More

I am not square, nor am I made of metal or glass ...

Q

Comments (8)
    Fill it with pieces you love and learn to zone out what you can't change. Funnily enough we are having the opposite problem - about to move into a home we have created but still with the 'rental' stuff...it will be an adjustment. Have you seen [this[(https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/meet-my-houzz-the-coys-stsetivw-vs~60048479) Houzz story about living in a (albeit friendly landlord) rental? Perhaps that is the key - find a great landlord...?? Good luck. I love the concept of hygge - it exactly describes the kind of space I want to create at home and I can't wait to share it with my friends and family. Thanks so much for that link :)
    ...See More

Help with living room!!

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree with suancol -the proportions are out of balance Try removing the 2 large armchairs and see how the space feels If you need additional chairs in that space use cane or another light style with lots of 'see-through' parts Instead of curtains at the doors, try plain white linen roman blinds that are attached to the doors. The print above the armchair could look good on the opposite wall That will give you the focal point you're after and will be the first thing you see when you come up the stairs And with stronger colouring for the cushions and lamp shade, you will have the impact you are seeking ps lift the lovely palm in the corner to sit on a table or plant stand. It will fill the corner better
    ...See More
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Beverly,you are correct. Red painting needs some company so i have to look for it.it is an original painting so i would like to add something that is not mass produced.
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    Thanks ladies. I appreciate the moral support! :-)
  • Jenn Bested
    11 years ago
    Brighter colours!! Grey and orange are very hot right now, try some bright orange pillows or accents on the coffee table!!
  • Mary Greer
    11 years ago
    How about some bright yellow accessories, pillow, throw, flowers. Maybe red also. Yea the coffee table need to go. To big and awkward
  • Mary Greer
    11 years ago
    Too much grey
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    oh gosh.....I need more chocolate for this
  • curraghgirl
    11 years ago
    I would love to try moving sectional with it's back to the windows- move tub chair to left of picture ( which is really nice) at an angle towards window - I would then put a small dresser/entry type table under picture with a small lamp . I think a shag type rug ( creamy color) would be nice with a low modern dark wooden coffee table. Put a large bowl /accent piece with bold color on coffee table. Deep orange/red pillows - and a soft textured throw.I think it would open the room and draw your eyes toward the light as you enter the room.
  • PRO
    Just In Property
    11 years ago
    Consider replacing the Couch, rug and the single sitting chair. The couch because it is taking up your window space and breaks your view to the outside. The couch is fluffy and doesn't compliment the sharp lines of your passage walk through or centre coffee table and the sitting chair would look better with no arms, something like the leather butterfly chair from Carolins post. The rug is making the floor space busy, consider changing to a block colour or nothing at all. In doing so a glass top coffee table will give the impression of space and make the most of the new rug you place down. Leave the room colour, lights, curtains and change colours daily/weekly with fresh flowers.
  • Cheryl Kelley
    11 years ago
    I love turquoise with grey and red!
  • Cheryl Kelley
    11 years ago
    I also love the new greens!
  • lacycooper
    11 years ago
    Turquoise or amber walls.
  • nancyliw
    11 years ago
    well, i guess you might put some floral print pillows plus few solid colors too, over all your living is very comfortable.
  • PRO
    M J Draperies and Interiors
    11 years ago
    The proportions it the room are off. Try re-positioning the furniture?! It's a bit over size for the room and blocking the door way. Maybe puting the chair against the wall. The art size looks a bit too small and try to find a new caffe table.
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Designer75 sure I will be replacing couch,chair,rug,table,entertainment unit,hardwood floor,wall colour,windows,roof. ... .Maybe I should just buy new house ;-)
  • PRO
    Apartment 46 for the Home
    11 years ago
    So you asked for what was missing and suddenly there is a really long string of emails telling you to get rid of your coffee table and get a new couch? I also think that the first few folks covered the picture scale and you addressed that and I feel so bad that it continued! I don't think you need a new couch. Or chair. The table should be round/er and scaled smaller, yes. I deal with many husbands/partners who are not amused that basically new furniture isn't working. Craigslist and consignment is where my clients end up posting the stuff that didn't work to put that money into the the "right" piece. It's a really common mistake to see it somewhere and get it home and it's not quite right. I love that your husband can make a top! That's fantastic. I always suggest glass in a smaller space as it takes up no visual weight. If you use tempered, it's clean, safe and yes, you can put your feet on it. We do at home.:)

Maybe I'm crazy but the rug is AMAZING and the idea of having a purple chair in that mix is also very appealing to me, but then, I was never hired for my strong belief in matching things. I would definitely suggest yellow pillows, but more mustard, and not sunshine. Also West Elm has these great silk pillows that are so fun and bring a lot of soul into the room. You are absolutely right in saying you can't please everyone and you should never want to. All we are is opinions to your question. Whether professional designers or fellow posters, we are speaking from our own tastes and preferences and at the end of the day, it's your sanctuary to live in and love.

http://www.westelm.com/products/leah-durner-abstract-pillow-cover-red-tone-t561/?pkey=cpillows-throws&cm_src=pillows-throws||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

http://www.westelm.com/products/stalk-flower-silk-pillow-cover-t567/?pkey=cpillows-throws&cm_src=pillows-throws||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

http://www.westelm.com/products/gemma-orkin-round-bird-silk-pillow-cover-t333/?pkey=cpillows-throws&cm_src=pillows-throws||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • Kimberly Rauscher
    11 years ago
    Plants. The room is dead. Plants will make the space alive.
  • Angela Himmer
    11 years ago
    I would suggest to add one accent wall in a deep eggplant colour, or do a wall tattoo, also throw in some yellow accents, such as a pillows, nice glass coffee table and an orange chair. Keep the beautiful carpet
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    Offering Sondra a virtual chocolate truffle. :-). It helps. :-)
  • horsepaint56
    11 years ago
    Nice job on the pillows. I was thinking you could use the blues in the rug somewhere. Maybe paint the wall behind the couch in the turquoise blue color in the rug. The gray is a really cold color and although the red and orange accents warm it up, it still appears cold with all of the white. A red is also nice on one wall and a bit warmer than the turquoise, but might be too much with the painting. The purple glass vase is a nice touch, purple is my favorite color. If you have the money, then upholstering the chair in a really nice print would do lots for the overall warmth and welcoming of the room. Very nice overall appearance.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    I love the red. A vibrant red is the life of a gray room. In these pictures, notice the shade of the red and how it is used in these two rooms.

One room has a whole wall painted red making a big bold statement. Also, a large bold picture is used on the wall. It is not a shy color to be played down by the size of the elements in the room. White is used as well.

In the next picture, notice the large vibrant color drapes. Notice also, the different shades of gray that are used as well as white.

These vibrant colors work much better with gray than a drab red, since gray is already a drab color.

design-interior-living-room-red-white-black-and-gray.jpg (JPEG Image, 588 × 441 · More Info
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    OK, sondramartina, you're making yourself crazy again. Listen to me: YOU HAVE EXCELLENT INSTINCTS. The last pic you posted with the new chair and the old art that you stole from your son looks great. Calm, tasteful, soothing. Throw in a couple of purple pillows and live with it for awhile. ;-)
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Groveraxle,I was hoping you won't find me this time. :))))).
    LOL Artistea and thanks for the truffle. I also like dark chocolate with hint of chilli pepper or sea salt. Lindt.
    @apartment 46,you are correct. Most of the answers were covered in the beginning,but some people just microwaved some popcorn hoping for free entertainment. :-p
  • lpsv
    11 years ago
    I absolutely LOVE your new chair.....really softens the floor plan! Great call. Both looks are great and easily changed out depending on mood or season! If/when you switch out to your first look with the rustic painting, I was going to suggest painting the wall that goes out to hallway a rustic red-orange that compliments the rug + painting. You can easily put a colored runner (solid or print) in the middle of the white coffee table and top off with an oblong earthy wooden bowl. Maybe baskets underneath for blankets and such. You could also "frame" the rustic painting with a painted backdrop of creamy yellow or ochre. That will bring warmth to that focal wall, help fill in the negative space and really make the gray AND art pop! Love your rug.....whole room has a really great feel. Good luck!
  • jerry1903
    11 years ago
    not sue if that picture works alone. Neds to be lowered and maybe accent it with something on each side. the wall could be more of a show piece I agree with other comments that the coffee table ruins the look. Love the pillow and another accent color could be a turqoise color.
  • dragoness
    11 years ago
    I think the only things i would add would be a large floor plant and maybe a candle scape on the coffee table. I love what you have done but I think it needs a little personal detail maybe a piece of sculpture or vacation memento.
  • Stacey Taylor
    11 years ago
    I like the rug. I like the room. It's Eclectic. Some people just don't get it, because it's not their style and they are trying to direct you on how to change your space to their style, but don't listen because your room looks great! By looking at this photo it's clear you know what you are doing when it comes to design, and really don't need anyone else's opinion. I may not be the world's best interior designer, but I do have a degree in it & have worked in hospitality design for a couple years, so hopefully my opinion on your skill level means something. Add whatever you like, & I'm confident you have the skills to know if it works in the space or not. Great work!
  • christmas12
    11 years ago
    am no professional but it's a matter of personal preference between colorful vs monochromatic. I prefer the first photo with all the orange...nice place!
  • bdarrow
    11 years ago
    Definitely, change out the coffee table to a smaller, round, glass one and then put a dish and a low flower arrangement on it.
  • ganeil
    11 years ago
    When I first saw this I thought wow its very similar to mine but I've gone bold colors. I bought the couch first, then saw the picture and fell in love with that...so colors for the walls and accesories came off those two pieces.
  • theanoplots73
    11 years ago
    Better paint the wall in a brighter colour,what about white!
  • Marian de la Cuadra
    11 years ago
    First of all your have great furniture but I believe together it may be bringing itself down.. The picture above the sofa I believe would be better if it were three black and white pictures with black frames. Make sure they have white mat around the pictures to bring some life to the wall. Second if you could bring in if possible an other chair with some kind of print or tweed in black and white or grey and white. As far as your table if could get a version of the one to the side of the sofa to bring in a little other texture. One last thing change the area rug bring in a white or off white shag type. One that feels great on the feet.
  • PRO
    Beautiful and Gracious Design
    11 years ago
    I would suggest a pop of color. Possibly a yellow ochcre Pillow, lacquere tray,accessories and throw will complete and add that missing punch
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    Wow, I suppose you really don't need another opinion, but here goes: I think the room looks nice, I don't find the coffee table out of scale since the new chair allowed you to arrange the room differently, and I love the rug. I think the scale of the new art is nice, but it sounds like you may go back to the painting with a couple of additional pieces. Think about making one of these an interesting object, either hung directly on the wall or perhaps a small, simple shelf for an objet d'art.

I, too, would pick up the coral color in the rug. I would find a beautiful bowl or large round vase (the big kind with a little neck) in a bright coral for the coffee table. I think a large basket would be a nice counterpoint to all of the sleekness, perhaps at the end of the sectional. If you want additional color, I think the mustard yellow would be pretty, along with the teal of the rug. How about a kilim-covered pillow to kind of mirror the colors and patterns of the rug? I also think a dose of a completely unexpected color - like the purple - can really liven a room and make it look collected over time. You just need some more personal things in the room - it looks a little "showroom". Shop the rest of your house and see what you can find - bet you'll come up with something! With all that being said, you've done a really nice job so far!
  • Judit
    11 years ago
    Why not bring some fresh green colour into the picture? Cushions and plants!
  • Beverly Hullender
    11 years ago
    ganeil: You've done a beautiful job! I like the repeating of the accent colors (Wall, sofa, floor) and my only criticism would be to get that rug centered under the sofa--not the coffee table! Now, I realize that I don't see the whole room, but I'm pretty sure that the rug would work best under ALL of the sofa, not just the cut-in section. Here's a slightly different option: put the rug on an angle. Just takes a couple of strong friends to let you try out some different angles. Often, putting something a little bit askew causes it to truly tie EVERYTHING together! Give it a shot! If you don't like, you just change it again! Get you a white, fluffy throw for your sofa to make that lampshade POP, too!
  • Lekia Hall
    11 years ago
    I love your room. The one thing that stands out as "wrong" to me is the direction of the rug. I suggest turning it horizonally to fill up the space more. I think the room and pieces would look more cohesive this way.
  • ganeil
    11 years ago
    Thanks Beverly & Lekia! I agree! I'm having a problem keeping the rug from bunching up. I need a couple strong friends to help me get it under the couch. Hoping that will also help with the bunching. Lekia have had it in both directions. :) have not tried angling it though! Will give that a try also. Thanks! This is still a work in progress. I have big wall with 25' windows. Bought some cheap insulted curtains due to cold until I can find just the right ones. That's the next challenge :)
  • PRO
    Rethink Renovations
    11 years ago
    A lighter rug and a lighter colored, larger piece of artwork. The wall is too big for the art and it isn't too heavy of a color in there. Either lighten the wall color or lighten the rug. Too much dark heavy accents is making the white table stand out. I like the table.
  • PRO
    Apartment 46 for the Home
    11 years ago
    Oh my goodness how do I delete a discussion from my Feed? This string is so crazy long it's insane!!
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Apartment 46,you can try to ask in Discussions-Using Houzz.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Apt 46, go to one of the emails that you have received on this particular discussion. At the bottom of the email there will be two choices. One will say something like opt out of notifications on this discussion only. Select that option and it will tell you that you have been removed.
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My dinig room is on the right.Living dining are L shaped. What kind of rug i can put in dining room?
  • ann
    11 years ago
    Larger purple pillows
  • ammer
    11 years ago
    I like the table, and I see the legs are silver.
    Why not hang a long mirror, and paint the fram a color from your room or maybe black.
    Put the mirror vertical on the wall behind the chair to the right of the picture you posted.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    What do your chairs look like? Are they upholstered? What color? What about the table - same questions? Off the top of my head, I would say another oriental rug which would have the same colors would be nice. If the chairs are a color, you could go with a gray rug, playing off of the couch. If you prefer a solid color but the chairs and table are neutral, then I would try to find something in the coral color.
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Kathryn i opened new topic with this question. Thanks for the advice. Chairs will be neutral,and table probably medium light wood.
  • alicetgv
    11 years ago
    If chairs are neutral and table is square and medium light wood you can put in a darker rug, chose navy and red accents on table like red roses in a white vase.
    I would make few changes in the living: repaint the room in a lighter color; add red (or better coral color) pillows, a smaller round glass/wooden coffee table; few accessories like a framed picture, a statuette. a candle etc. I would keep the rug, the grey & white pillows, the black & white picture, the sofa & chair.
  • cohoek
    11 years ago
    What if you bought a chunky piece of glass as your tabletop instead of the white? Maybe secondhand? I'm all for recycling stuff... I love the rug, it ties everything together. I would try to get more red in the room, not the orangy color in the painting. Try a red throw on the couch, see if it works. Got any red clothes? put them around a pillow and try it out. The style of the painting and de orangy pillows are differen t from the rug. The rug is more ethnic, try to find stuff in that direction...