Houzz Logo Print
violeteve

Architect fees - ANY ADVICE?

violeteve
8 years ago

Looking for advice regarding architects fees. We are looking at going with an architect who is local to our area (knows the council and builders), we have seen his work and like it, and already met with him twice (foc). He sets his fee as a percentage of the build as opposed to hourly, or stage fees.

His percentage is 7% of whatever the total renovation cost will be (and yes, we have set a budget). We like him and are pretty much ready to begin, he is available right away as long as we give him the go ahead.

I guess what i wanted to know is, does this 7% sound like a competitive rate in the industry? He is the first and only "quote" i have so far. Husband is reluctant to just say yes to him without researching the market. But, I find it hard to get any advice if this amount of 7% is average or too much. This architect does everything along with us apart from project manage, as in does the concept, takes us through council approvals, liases with our builders etc.

( I have called x2 other architect firms to try to get a "comparison" only to get to the receptionist and be told no-one is even able to start work till at least Feb 2016, also choosing another architect isn't easy, as we have no background knowledge of them, or recommendations.)

Any advice would be great!

Comments (2)