Houzz Logo Print
aleksb

An extra master bedroom?

aleksb
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone :)

we've moved into our new home, and the floor plan is not really working for us. I'm stuck on ideas and don't know how to use the spaces wisely. I want to love where I live but I'm a little stuck.

We have three young children, and upstairs we have one master bedroom with a bathroom, her dresser, his walk in robe, and a balcony. And there are two large bedrooms each with a built in robe. There is a study nook, and a little medium size oddly shaped lounging area. There is also one bathroom.

Downstairs at the back of the house there is a gorgeous open plan living, dining, and kitchen looking out onto (unfinished) outdoor entertainment. The back of the home is my favourite. And the only part I really do love. But here is my issue: when you walk in trough the front door there is a long hallway (garage to the left) and on the right you see a long narrow room which is so oddly shaped, I don't know what to do with it. It has a double door, and gorgeous windows and lighting. Then as you walk down the next room is a large bedroom looking room, currently the play room. It has a standard door (which I hate because it just makes the hallway looked crammed with doors - two on te right and one in the left, the entry door from the garage).

Sorry about all the descriptions, I just found it necessary so you could help me with whether I would make a big kistake if I did the following:

I was thinking of making the two rooms on the right (upon walking through the front door) into a large master bedroom with a little retreat just for my husband and I. I have a floor plan of what I have in mind that I can't upload right now but I can do it later.

My reasoning is that at the moment, the front two rooms have no use. They are odd in shape and their layout makes them look so 'bedroom-y' rather than any other form of entertainment area. Or even an office. More importantly, with our fourth child, we will definitely need more space. IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO GIVE TE KIDS THE ENTIRE UPSTAIRS, and make a master suite downstairs for just us two. So the girls could share the current master bedroom, my son could have his own room, and we could have a nursery in the third room upstairs? Or, would it be a mistake to change the floor plan in this way?

im obviously confused, and would appreciate any advice on te best use or possible changes, of the two odd rooms downstairs.

Comments (6)