Houzz Logo Print
mrtea1

Your thoughts on using sliding doors as windows??

lil
8 years ago

We're just getting started building our house and I have a pair of brand new triple-pane, aluminium frame, glass sliding doors I managed to score for almost nothing. To purchase similar doors around here would cost us many thousands of dollars, so we are eager to use them if we can. We have a nice view we wanted to take advantage of so lots of glass was always the preference. All the windows in the house are to be aluminium too, so they generally fit in with these aesthetically.

The concerns we're having are that -

a) The doors are 10' (3m) wide but are not very tall - just 6'3" (1.9m)! I am 6'5" so I expect I will bang my head if I try to walk through them.

b) The ceiling is quite high at 9' (2.7m), and I understand that windows are ideally installed higher up the wall than just putting them in line with the standard 6'8" (2.04m) door, the reason being that higher windows will let in more light (especially if it is a large open space).

Thing is, we don't really need to use these doors as doors, since there is another regular door (see images attached) which provides access to the deck.

So what if I used these doors purely as windows, and raised them up a little on the wall? I'm sure I could take the handles off so they look a little less door-like! :-)

What do you think? Could this work quite well?...or am I bumbling down a path I will likely regret?

Thoughts/opinions appreciated!

PS. for anyone interested here is the earlier [thread[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/please-critique-our-small-15-storey-family-homestead-design-dsvw-vd~3369549) I started on designing this house

Comments (24)