Houzz Logo Print
haephestus

Roller Blinds - Configuration of panels/drops over large openings?

haephestus
8 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any ... design rules for determining the appropriate number of panels/drops/sections for roller blinds for large openings?

For example, should a large (4.8m) sliding, stacker door which is made up of four glass panels/doors have four separate roller blinds aligned with each of the four glass panels/doors of the sliding, stacker door? Or would it be best to simply have two large roller blinds each covering half the width of the sliding, stacker door.

Obviously, even if there were four roller blinds, a single chain would need to control two of the blinds at the same time. And having four roller blinds would mean that there were three gaps whereas with two blinds there would only be one gap.

These are the best examples I could find searching through Houzz.

This one has four panels:

Ozone Extension/Renovation · More Info

This one appears to have two, although it also has curtains:

Bedrooms by Moda Interiors Perth Western Australia · More Info

This one isn't a sliding stacker, but it also only has two:

Cottesloe · More Info

I think the glass on the right in this photo is a sliding stacker and it only has two:

Riverview · More Info

This sliding stacker only has two:

Tweeddale · More Info

Once again, there are two, but with bifolds:

Port Melbourne Parquetry · More Info

So, the vast majority seem to only have two separate roller blinds.

I have the same dilemma with a large window which is made up of three separate glass panels (opening, fixed, opening), but I think a single blind would look best there, similar to the following:

Harlem Apartment Renovation · More Info

And:

Cottesloe · More Info

Wow. That ended up being a long post! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (4)