Houzz Logo Print
carlaanderman

YDL Stone

Carla A
8 years ago

Has anyone bought a seen a slab from YDL Stone premium/premium plus range? They are a much cheaper alternative marble look but I have only seen samples and yet to find a picture of a full slab. If you could please send pictures that would be appreciated. After the kalala range or closest to marble look. Thank you.

Comments (71)

• Lyn Huppatz
    7 years ago
    Loooove yor kitchen Carla. Even though porcelain is expensive its suppose to be bullet proof.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Bianca - did your invoice specify the stone colour?
  • billpeet
    7 years ago

How did the YDL stone wear after a few months?

• biancaj04
    7 years ago
    Unfortunately my partner and I are changing the stone to porcelain, the bench is covered in marks (I can only assume it would be my chopping board marking the stone)
  • Carla A
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Omg that's insane
    Well I can't recommend the porcelain enough
    I put hot pots from the cook top directly on it, chop on it and not a single mark it's beyond amazing
  • Vladislav Reznik
    7 years ago

Just to save you from all the pain, I would stay clear of ydl, it's the biggest rubbish out there. Unless you want to consistently scrub this thing day and night, because it marks so damn easily. Rubber feet from food processor, spilled a little bit of coffee and didn't notice it, cutting beetroot and a tiny bit spilled on the stone, feet from fruit basket (still not coming off, even with Jiff!). They tell you a million times not to use anything but hot water with soap, lol good luck

• biancaj04
    7 years ago
    Couldn't agree with you more! I would love to send you photos of our stone but it won't allow me! Not happy
  • bronsim
    7 years ago

Iv had my ydl stone since last April and I have not had any issues at all with it.Even with teenagers living at home and not always cleaning up spills I don't have any stains, I use a cloth with warm water to clean it then a dry glass cleaning cloth and it looks great.

• PRO
    Precision
    7 years ago

Bianca, you are not ment to chop on any reconstituted Stone including ceassr stone, light colours will stain with most stones including honed Marble, if you want a hard surface use Dekton or similar and in future go to a good stone mason and not to the factory.

You will get a better deal as they have buting power and won't get treated like a monkey as they treat each other.

You will know for next time

• Mary kat
    6 years ago
    I had YDL benchtop for my house 2 years ago. And the color was Calacatta Vene.
    It's so beautiful and nice easy to maintain.
    Compare to Caesarstone I had in the holiday house,they are the same thing.~ and YDL much more affordable.

Don't know why you have these issue?

As long as you treat the stone in right way, it won't have any problem.

Doesn't matter which brand you go for, if don't look after in the right method it would have problems.

This just my opinion to share~
  • Daniel
    6 years ago

Hi Hari, your Kitchen looks great. We have just viewed the same slab choice at the their factory in Brisbane. Who was the stone mason referred to you that you used, I would like to approach them for a quote for our YDL stone install in Brisbane also.

Thank you in advance.

• JE C
    6 years ago

Carla A, or anyone else that has this porcelain product, (sorry to hijack the thread about YDL slightly), your porcelain appears to have a honed rather then super shiny look in the photo which I love - is that how it looks in reality? Thanks

• Karen Kenton-Barnes
    6 years ago

We went with Khalala light brown YDL stone, even around a recessed sink we have had no marks or chips. Compared to my sister who opted for the Caesar Stone, hers has numerous chips. (Maybe she’s just heavy handed?)

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    6 years ago

Mike from YDL sells quality stone.

• jen jen
    3 years ago

@Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts In another thread you said to stay away from YDL stone, and Chinese stone in general. So why the inconsistency?

• Abigail Weeks
    3 years ago

Love your stone Carla. I too was looking at YDL Stone and then saw one at Multiform and fell in love. The one I've chosen is porcelain - Infinity stone, design called Calacatta Oro. Wondering if anyone has this installed that they can post pics of? My kitchen is scheduled for installation next month...

• HU-765641491
    2 years ago

Does anyone have trouble with the stone making holes in clothes? Both mine and my husband's tops have had holes from working at the stone bench.

• Sam Edgar
    2 years ago

Considering purchasing Ultimo YDL stone but a bit worried about it now. Does anyone have this stone?

• Kate
    2 years ago

I have ydl stone on my vanity. 2 yrs old no issues

• Kate
    2 years ago

Natural stones may put holes in natural fibres as they absorb moisture. Was warned by clothing shop.

• Robbie Knill
    last year

The holes in the shirts can come from an agressive detailed edge. If you get a pencil round edge then this wont happen. also for the people with marking benchtops this is more than likely from the glue from the protective film melting onto the stone surface. sometimes containers can get super hot. you just need some glue dissolver like orange goo disolver. Bit harsh to blame YDL stone for these issues.

• HU-919192411
    13 days ago

The worst business we have ever had to deal with, don't go near them ever. My sister and her disabled husband needed my help choosing a stone, I am 3 hrs away, but took them a swatch of ydl stone from a reputable showroom which matched perfectly. Bench tops were installed and were a completely different colour. Turns out ydl had not updated the swatches, same name PROTOSS, completely different colour. My sister is distraught, we booked an appointment to see the Manager Christian, I drove 3 hrs, he avoided us completely, didn't want to know or care, and was extremely abusive. I mentioned vcat and he just laughed it off and went, the most disgusting, nasty individual I have ever endured. He took my sample while we weren't looking, threw it in a bin somewhere and refused to give it back as it was evidence. Whist I was outside making a phone call to the cabinet maker, he locked the doors on me. This will and has to be taken further as the public have to be protected from these unscrupulous germs.

• Kate
    12 days ago

Oh that is really poor of them. I hope you get some redress.

• siriuskey
    12 days ago

Are they registered on Houzz as Professionals, have you checked, good luck

• bigreader
    12 days ago

There’s a lot of emotion in that post. Was the product installed the product shown on the quote/paperwork? You’ve taken a sample from one business and used it to order at another business. That is not totally YSL’s fault.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Yes it is, as the business that I got the sample from are Stone Masons and deal with ydl regularly and are mortified that the sample had not been changed in their showroom let alone a different colour with the same name, the grief this would have caused had other customers ordered the same product. And yes, PROTOSS was on the quote, just the wrong PROTOSS, first one brown, second one pewter Grey that matches absolutely nothing in my sisters home.

• bigreader
    12 days ago

If the product on the paperwork is what is installed you have no recourse. It’s not a product fault.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

The product is wrong as I have said, because they used the same name Protoss for two different colours, the correct sample was taken to the cabinet maker, no one knew they had changed it.

• bigreader
    12 days ago

It is a bad situation for your sister but all that counts for any legal, tribunal or consumer affairs protection is what is written on the paperwork. Being morally right, and I don’t agree that you are but that’s up to you, doesn’t always get the outcome you want. You can be angry and upset but you have very very limited options.

• dreamer
    12 days ago

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

You are missing the whole point bigreader, no one knew they had changed the colour completely and also called it Protoss. You clearly work for ydl, I wasn't bought down in the last shower.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

They are not variations or different dyelots, they are completely different colours as I have stated multiple times. One Brown, the other Pewter Grey.

• bigreader
    12 days ago

You haven’t made a valid point at any stage. If you actually asked for help and had a reasonable outcome in mind we could have suggested help. And no I don’t work with YDL.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

Are for real, if I didn't know better I would call you Christian. To be clear again, it is the ydl representatives job to change their colour swatches in the showrooms of all the business's that sell and install their products. It is that not easy to comprehend Mr yld ???

• siriuskey
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Bigreader has no connection with YDL and has only ever tried to offer you help to understand your devastating experience with YDL and the Stone Mason.

I did see that YDL recommends that you view the actual slab before confirming. Their samples should have been up dated with their agents.

What should have ended with the dream kitchen you thought you had ordered is now a nightmare which you are sadly reminded of every time you use it.

For this I feel your pain and would have hoped that YDL and the Stone Mason could do something to help you realize the kitchen you had expected.

YDL Please reconsider this situation on behalf of a very distressed customer.

• dreamer
    12 days ago

Why don’t you deal with the stone masons that you got the sample from originally. If they are mortified that they didn’t have updated samples, maybe they can have some input in getting a YDL representative to replace your sisters bench top to a colour that they will be happy with. As you have said the PROTOSS sample you had is discontinued, they will have to choose a new colour anyway. Matter of interest, the PROTOSS colour on the YDL website, is this the colour that was installed? You are obviously very upset from your experience, and more likely feeling even worse because you chose this for your sisters bench, but please do not be verbally unkind to other HOUZZ posters.

• dreamer
    12 days ago

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

They are being unkind by not reading my posts properly. Thank for putting up the catalogue picture, I was going to do that as that is the original Protoss, the new Protoss is a clear Pewter Grey. The sample I got from the Stone Mason is in Gippsland, I drove it 3 hrs to my sisters to show her and the cabinet maker and all agreed it was perfect because she wanted as close to what she had as possible. They are happy to back us up, but my sister had to get the Stone Mason near her as that is who the cabinet maker deals with. No one knew that there was two Protoss's, the original should not have been there on display to customers.

• bigreader
    12 days ago

Your attitude aside I’m going to help you. I’m not being unkind I’m being realistic. Can you de-identify the paperwork your sister has and post a picture of where it specifies the product? I have a small sneaking suspicion, once I set aside all the unhelpful bits you’ve posted, that the wrong benchtop has been installed.

• bigreader
    12 days ago

And a picture of the installed benchtop.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

These are the two Protoss which there is apparently only one, which there is, unfortunately two samples ????. The one on the left the cabinet maker, my sister and I picked, which we now know is discontinued, the one on the right is the current Protoss, who knew.

• bigreader
    12 days ago

Thank you for some concrete information. Those samples could actually be different batches of the one colour. The flecks and shading are almost identical. Is the new version the low silica option following legislative changes? If so, you’ve been caught up in a change that was beyond the Manufacturers and your control. It would also explain the same name being used, something typically not done because it causes problems. PS you assumed I’m a guy. I’m not but I do have 25+ years of dealing with contracts, vendors and projects. Half my life is spent trying to get suppliers to do things they may not want to do, and it all comes back to the paperwork particularly the disclaimers and exclusions. I can’t see any resolution for you.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

But they should never have used the same name, when you are redoing your home and colour matching, it is clear one is brown and the other grey which goes with absolutely nothing in her home. if seen by the naked eye, they are nothing alike, the blotching is totally different.

• HU-919192411
    12 days ago

I do appreciate your time, however I am not giving up just yet as my sister is understandably distraught. I don't believe any one could force that man's hand to do the right thing, in a previous post of several years ago, he was rude, demeaning and scoffed and laughed off any suggestion of vcat involvement, clearly his belligerent, abhorrent attitude toward the innocent customer has not improved. Cheers

• bigreader
    11 days ago

OK. Post back when you’ve achieved a resolution.

• siriuskey
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Was it possible that your sample was mislabeled

• dreamer
    11 days ago

The website example of Protoss is closer to your sample obtained, not the installed product. I would start with that with YDL stone, and ask them to advise why the colour on their website is no longer correct. But your photo clearly shows. “ this is a sample only and variations may occur. viewing of slab is recommended “. I would say that is their disclaimer. And the same is written on their web site.
    Of course, do as much as you can to debate your issue. But be factual not emotional.

• dreamer
    11 days ago

Is this photo you posted the new installed bench top on the right, and the floor on the left? If that’s the case, looking at this photo it is pretty close to the sample that you said you had, and the web site, and not like the photo you have posted of the new PROTOSS. However, It is hard to judge true colours on computer screens.

• HU-919192411
    11 days ago

No it's the new Protoss, grey as her s/s fridge, nothing like the brown Protoss. Anyway there will be no resolution with that person, we had all the samples there, he was not interested and was instantly abusive. We are 200% factual and emotional, very upsetting when the hub of your beautiful house is ruined just because my sister wanted a large flat island without the high decorative thing.